So, why is GM big oversized SUV’s so darn expensive?

Did you not read the article? Loan originators are offering just about anybody (people with no credit or bad credit) auto loans. It's like the auto loan equivalent of the housing crisis from a decade ago, companies are handing out loans and people keep taking them. These people don't have money.

Also, millionaires aren't leasing cars. The average millionaire drives a used car that's paid off.

I didnt care to read the link because I never disagreed. The mass of us will get into debt(loans) just to hold an image. On the other side of the spectrum, more people are finding new and different ways to "get it". When they do get it, theres a nice 80k shinny Tahoe ready for purchase. They dont care if it's an average of 120k, they got it-they want it.

Now as a dealer, owner, or car manufacturer those are good enough reasons to mark up prices as time goes by...

These things been the station wagon of choice for final boss Karen for years. Only natural the price catches up to their image requirements.

Y'all late to the game. They been paying big money for truck and suvs in Texas. There were outfitters that would take fully optioned vehicle and add $50k in additional stuff. Wives of Oil executives and cancer doctors are pushing nice rigs.

man. when oil was booming, EVERYONE around my way had OD kitted truck for absolutely no reason. they weren't transporting anything, carrying materials etc. the nice suburban households all had a king ranch driven by him and a tahoe/subarban driven by her. at some point, the proverbial "she" realized that a GLS mercedes started at the same price as a tahoe and switched to the foreign.

new vehicles off the lot are expensive as hell for one reason only: people want the newest thing possible. it's not about the technology, or that alexa is in cars now, or seat warmers and coolers. those are just added bonuses. people want new. that's why dealerships inflate new car prices, and people buy them knowing how much it depreciates the second you take it off the lot. I'm guilty of this too. either going to drive my vehicle now until it don't drive anymore (i suspect not possible because of maintenance costs) and going with something used I can either pay for in cash or get a nice 0% financing deal somewhere.

Cars overall are expensive af man. When i was shopping around for my current car i was like god damn cars are expensive. Thankfully i was able to get the car i ultimately wanted but still I've already started thinking about my next car LOL .

I'm not against Spending this much on a vehicle, but I'd need the tech behind it.

GM is banking on their Super Cruise Tech being enough, but, if I'm dropping 112K on an SUV its for full feature Nex-Gen stuff. Not just on the highway. I dont think GM is promising their Super Cruise tech will lead to City Driving, at least in this current Gen ...

The Model X tho ...

12 years to finance a car HAHAHA like I said buy a Condo at that point. Plz people. And whomever said where are you finding that for 200k.... zillow/tulia/local listings

That’s beyond ridiculous. Like somebody told me, I don’t need to get there in style, I just need to get there.
84k. Lol.
yeah i hear you but getting there in comfort >
not defending the tahoe but can't beat a luxury whip
with that said, you can get a luxury whip for less than half that if you just get a used vehicle

Last edited:
I dont particularly care for all the new fancy tech (adaptive cruise control and what not). I dont mind blind spot detection, and front/rear sensors but thats about it. I like to drive my car.

The longest auto loan term I've been able to find is 144 months. Anyone find anything longer?

That's almost as long as my 15-year mortgage. If you need to put a car on a 12-year payment plan, you can't afford it. If you take that long to pay off a car, you'll be underwater (you're paying more than the car is worth) for the last five or six years. This should be illegal IMO

I don't get, how do they even approve people for that even on cheap vehicles?

you just walk in and say yea I want that Honda Civic but 120 months please

Not to mention almost all car not payments are around $500 and up. That's for cars, trucks and SUVs.

Some of these tote the note second chance finance places got poor folks making 2 car payments a month with low jack kill switches for when the payment is late.

the longer the better as they make money on interest charged... but yeah, I've never seen anything like that or have even been offered something like that. Then again, I have excellent credit and wouldn't even entertain something like that. In fact, when I went in to buy my Impala a few months ago I went in and told them what I wanted my interest rate to be and they called GM Financial and made it happen. Same thing with the home loan I am about to get. No money down (outside of closing costs) on either loan as well, and the interest rates are low on both (3.25% and 2.5%, respectively).

My car payment is under $300/mo... over $60 less than my previous car. Hell the insurance is even cheaper. I made sure I was in a much better position this time around before buying this car. Last time I paid off and closed 2 credit cards right before financing, which I later learned was a mistake. Interest rate is almost half of what it was last time.

Back
Top Bottom