Soccer Players Are the Best Athletes In Sports vol. No Contest

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

the way a lot of people are just tossing aside hockey as a simple skill sport is beyond me...but i don't blame most of you given the board and sports most have grown up playing.

osh...you being one of these people surprises me though. and besides, aren't you from canada for chrissake
laugh.gif
I am from Canada, I have played more hours of hockey than 99% of this board, I now a bunch of guys who played junior hockey, and a couple who got drafted i'm NOT saying it doesn't require a baseline of athleticism and strength that 90% of the population does not posses but man the mere acting of moving around in hockey is a skill, skating is really a skill at that more than anything determines how good you are. I am not saying it's darts.
laugh.gif

how is skating just a skill though? if so, what in pro sports is not just a skill?

i personally consider height to be a part of what makes somebody athletic, so to me nba players are the overall most athletic. i think to combine height along with things such as leaping ability, speed, coordination, etc. you need to be a gifted person.

with football there are too many players in different specialized positions. it takes crazy athleticism to play defense, but then u have kickers, certain QBs, etc. that i can't say are part of a crop of the worlds best athletes.

guys like bron and dwight would still be pretty special if they were 5'8", but when its combined with their height it makes them physically supreme imo.

soccers my second favorite sport, but its more of a skilled game imo. vision, passing ability, IQ, accuracy, ball control are more important than a lot of the athletic traits.

i personally consider height to be a part of what makes somebody athletic

Good to learn that athletic freaks such as Yao Ming, Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan are some of the greatest athletes ever.

soccer is not difficult ... in fact, everyone on two legs can play soccer ...

Top 5 dumbest comment I've read on this forum.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Good to learn that athletic freaks such as Yao Ming, Shawn Bradley, Manute Bol and Gheorghe Muresan are some of the greatest athletes ever.

In a way they are. It takes greater dexterity and coordination to move and control a 7' body than a 5'6" body. Just saying, height should definitely factor into the athletic equation. 

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Put it this way athleticism, explosiveness, quickness, leaping ability, strength, Which sport do being exceptional in these attributes benefit you the most? Look at the sports best players, higher the baseline of athletic excellence then the best players should also be the best athletes in that particular sport.

The best players in hockey and soccer are never usually the best pure athletes.

Soccer and Hockey are skill games, while athleticism is nice to have it's not necessary to becoming a great player. 

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Soccer and Hockey are skill games, while athleticism is nice to have it's not necessary to becoming a great player. 
False. Acting like soccer and hockey is the same as playing darts or something....The top soccer and hockey players in the world are great athletes.
It goes without saying that there is athletic baseline you have to meet to be able to play any professional sport, but the athletic baseline in basketball, footbal, boxing are significantly higher than hockey or soccer.

Cosign.gif

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

Originally Posted by shogun

What about male gymnasts?  Those dudes are brolic.  They have strength, speed, quickness, endurance, agility, and sick reflexes.

i said that a few pages back and its gotten no love. 
the real debate should be between Decathletes and Gymnasts, not soccer players v. american football players v Hockey players v etc. 
sebrle_roman2.jpg

Roman Sebrle. Decathlon WR holder.

[table][tr][th=""]Event[/th][th=""]Performance[/th][th=""]Note[/th][th=""]Place[/th][th=""]Date[/th][th=""]Ref.[/th][/tr][tr][td]60 metres[/td][td]6.91[/td][td]Indoor[/td][td]Tallinn[/td][td]7 February 1999[/td][td][sup][18][/sup][sup][19[/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]100 metres[/td][td]10.64
10.64[/td][td]Wind 1.3 m/s
0 m/s[/td][td]Götzis
Götzis[/td][td]3 June 2000
26 May 2001[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup]
[sup][8][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]200 metres[/td][td]21.74[/td][td]Wind 1.4 m/s[/td][td]Prague[/td][td]7 August 2004[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]300 metres[/td][td]35.12[/td][td]
[/td][td]Prague[/td][td]13 June 2005[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]400 metres[/td][td]47.76[/td][td]
[/td][td]Götzis[/td][td]29 May 1999[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]1,000 metres[/td][td]2:37.86[/td][td]Indoor[/td][td]Lisbon[/td][td]11 March 2001[/td][td][sup][18][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]1,500 metres[/td][td]4:21.98[/td][td]
[/td][td]Götzis[/td][td]27 May 2001[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]60 metres hurdles[/td][td]7.84[/td][td]Indoor[/td][td]Prague[/td][td]2001[/td][td][sup][18][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]110 metres hurdles[/td][td]13.68[/td][td]
[/td][td]Halle[/td][td]20 May 2001[/td][td][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]High jump[/td][td]2.15[/td][td]
[/td][td]Götzis[/td][td]3 June 2000[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Pole vault[/td][td]5.20[/td][td]
[/td][td]Turnov[/td][td]18 May 2003[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Long jump[/td][td]8.11[/td][td]Wind 1.9 m/s[/td][td]Götzis[/td][td]26 May 2001[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Shot put[/td][td]16.47[/td][td]
[/td][td]Kladno[/td][td]19 June 2007[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Discus throw[/td][td]49.37[/td][td]
[/td][td]Turnov[/td][td]18 May 2003[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Javelin throw[/td][td]71.18[/td][td]
[/td][td]Osaka[/td][td]1 September 2007[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Decathlon[/td][td]9026[/td][td]World record[/td][td]Götzis[/td][td]27 May 2001[/td][td][sup][8][/sup][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][tr][td]Heptathlon[/td][td]6438[/td][td]European record[/td][td]Budapest[/td][td]7 March 2004[/td][td][sup][20][/sup][/td][/tr][/table]
Speed, Power, Endurance and coordination.

I dare say there's better physical specimens out there but majority won't be decathletes because there's no paper in it (relatively speaking)

But as far as pure athletic contests go, you cant really !%%# with it.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

In a way they are. It takes greater dexterity and coordination to move and control a 7' body than a 5'6" body. Just saying, height should definitely factor into the athletic equation. 

Is you serious? Most of those guys looked like giraffes when they were running down the court.

Okay, so if there is some magical height to athleticism ratio or formula where someone who is CLEARLY not athletic is forgiven for not being athletic just because he is tall, then this dude who was 8'11 has got to be a better athlete than some 5'0 gymnast type who can do somersaults and flick flacks like it ain't no thing.

robert-wadlow.jpg

eyes.gif

GTHO with that idiotic logic. People will create any dumbasstic logic to support their claim that the athletes from their favorite sport are superior. Just because there aren't 6'7+ footers in other sports..

And this guy is 6'5:

The athleticism alone required to pull this stuff off is insane. That's not even counting the skill and timing, which are just as important.

Originally Posted by dland24

most conditioned =/= best athlete

this 
my best friend is Maurice Edu dont get me wrong my dude is amazingly athletic but even he will tell you Vernon Davis is more athletic than him

Originally Posted by Caerus

Swimmers & Lacrosse players
Lacrosse? This is a joke right. I've grown up in "Lacrosse Country" and trust me it doesn't take intense athletic ability to get a scholarship to play collegiate lacrosse.

Originally Posted by 23MCpizzle23

Originally Posted by dland24

most conditioned =/= best athlete

this 
my best friend is Maurice Edu dont get me wrong my dude is amazingly athletic but even he will tell you Vernon Davis is more athletic than him
youre comparing one of the better TE to maurice edu. when someone could bring up drogba, hulk from brazil, etc. or grab a fat lineman and vice versa. individual comparisons are a sticky situation imo. 

Before I go through this all I think it's basketball. Will now read and let y'all sway my opinion. As far as conditioning goes basketball is up there when you are going 100%. It is not easy to play ball full speed and not slack.

For dude above that brought up male gymnasts, and spoke on how they are fast, what makes you come to that conclusion?

They are strong, agile, flexible (underrated athletic quality), but fast? Not seeing the fast portion

Originally Posted by Rondembo

Soccer is for wimps and sissies, or foreigners and women. That's what I've always been taught, back in high school we used to beat up on those little foreign soccer playing kids from foreign countries, everybody in our school came to see the manly football team play its games and all the football players got laid and we're all-American popular kids. The soccer players were brown foreigeners who couldn't speak English and who nobody liked. They hung out by themselves.

I'm sorry soccer fans, that's how it is here in this country. If you don't like it move to a third world country where soccer is popular, we have superior and manlier options here.
While I agree and expereinced some of what you said, you went about it the wrong way and made yourself look really stupid.
sick.gif

Soccer is for wimps and sissies, or foreigners and women. That's what I've always been taught, back in high school we used to beat up on those little foreign soccer playing kids from foreign countries, everybody in our school came to see the manly football team play its games and all the football players got laid and we're all-American popular kids. The soccer players were brown foreigeners who couldn't speak English and who nobody liked. They hung out by themselves.

I'm sorry soccer fans, that's how it is here in this country. If you don't like it move to a third world country where soccer is popular, we have superior and manlier options here.
laugh.gif
Damn. I don't know if I should laugh or shake my head.

But yea that sports isn't popular here for whatever reason. I guess we already have a net based sport for the poor (basketball).

But this thread wasn't about how popular futbol is.

StaXX wrote:

While I agree and expereinced some of what you said, you went about it the wrong way and made yourself look really stupid.
sick.gif

How am I stupid when you and 99% of America agrees with me. In this country we hate soccer and soccer players are on the bottom rung of the athletic ladder.

To like soccer is to renounce your American pride and to identify with the third world mentality that makes soccer popular in non-American piss poor countries. To even tolerate soccer as being on the same level as real sports, let alone compare them to the superior NFL and NBA athletes is an insult to real sports and real athletes. Soccer will never have 1/10th as many fans or elite athletes or money as real sports.

StaXX wrote:
Rondembo wrote:

sick.gif

How am I stupid when you and 99% of America agrees with me. In this country we hate soccer and soccer players are on the bottom rung of the athletic ladder.

To like soccer is to renounce your American pride and to identify with the third world mentality that makes soccer popular in non-American piss poor countries. To even tolerate soccer as being on the same level as real sports, let alone compare them to the superior NFL and NBA athletes is an insult to real sports and real athletes. Soccer will never have 1/10th as many fans or elite athletes or money as real sports.

If you're gonna troll you can at least be funny or creative.

Back
Top Bottom