Soo 2 months and havent been able to check my mail, can I get new lock?

14,811
4,085
Joined May 26, 2003
Can the post office or a lock smith change my locks?

My Landlord is a rich bum, and we havent been able to check the mail in 2 months because he has the keys. The first month when the person came to pick up rent she let us pay rent late as hell and told us she would drop the keys off the following day because the landlord has been out the country.

Month 2 and still nothing, we pretty much dont plan on paying rent until we get our keys. We have been able to catch the mail man a few times to get our mail out. Today it was some new dude and I told dude give me my mail and he was like he couldnt do it, I`m like what the hell, I got my id son, and nobody in this state has my name. smh Only reason I`m made is cause I got some phones I gotta flip, sunglasses, and a letterman in there
 
3,948
1,194
Joined Nov 16, 2001
I'm sure the guy has it in for you.

Why not just coordinate a time and place with him to pick up the keys.  I'm sure he's not just holding on to them for no reason.
 
1,198
185
Joined Aug 23, 2006
Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Can the post office or a lock smith change my locks?

My Landlord is a rich bum, and we havent been able to check the mail in 2 months because he has the keys. The first month when the person came to pick up rent she let us pay rent late as hell and told us she would drop the keys off the following day because the landlord has been out the country.

Month 2 and still nothing, we pretty much dont plan on paying rent until we get our keys. We have been able to catch the mail man a few times to get our mail out. Today it was some new dude and I told dude give me my mail and he was like he couldnt do it, I`m like what the hell, I got my id son, and nobody in this state has my name. smh Only reason I`m made is cause I got some phones I gotta flip, sunglasses, and a letterman in there
this made me 

what type of lock is this? a padlock? or a mailbox with a key? I'd just replace the mailbox and bill him.
 
14,811
4,085
Joined May 26, 2003
Originally Posted by crcballer55

I'm sure the guy has it in for you.

Why not just coordinate a time and place with him to pick up the keys.  I'm sure he's not just holding on to them for no reason.
Naw the Landloard has an assistant that handles all of the work for his properties. So we've never even met the actual owner. When we call the lady she never answers. The only time we ever got through to her was when I told my homegirl to call the lady because I think she was screening our calls. And my homegirl reached lady and the lady told her that the landlord would be in the area that day and would drop off the keys, and if he didnt we can call back and she would call a locksmith out to change lock. This was last week. I tried having my friend call today and chick isnt answering. I would have never copped anything or had it sent to my crib if I would have known this would been continuing.
 
1,679
43
Joined Mar 1, 2011
Locksmith gonna charge you $45-75. Post office may be able to do it for cheaper, but you have to catch the post man at the right time which is a pain.

I broke into my mail lock with a butter knife and a hammer, bought a replacement lock for ~$5 and replaced it myself. EZ.
 
3,948
1,194
Joined Nov 16, 2001
Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I'm sure the guy has it in for you.

Why not just coordinate a time and place with him to pick up the keys.  I'm sure he's not just holding on to them for no reason.
Naw the Landloard has an assistant that handles all of the work for his properties. So we've never even met the actual owner. When we call the lady she never answers. The only time we ever got through to her was when I told my homegirl to call the lady because I think she was screening our calls. And my homegirl reached lady and the lady told her that the landlord would be in the area that day and would drop off the keys, and if he didnt we can call back and she would call a locksmith out to change lock. This was last week. I tried having my friend call today and chick isnt answering. I would have never copped anything or had it sent to my crib if I would have known this would been continuing.
Do you have any information to contact the landlord?  If not, try 411.com or Spokeo to try and find him to let him know what's going on.  If I had someone managing my property that was that bad at following up with my tenants, we would have some problems.  It's likely that he's not aware of the situation and is oblivious to any problems going on.
 
14,811
4,085
Joined May 26, 2003
Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by crcballer55

I'm sure the guy has it in for you.

Why not just coordinate a time and place with him to pick up the keys.  I'm sure he's not just holding on to them for no reason.
Naw the Landloard has an assistant that handles all of the work for his properties. So we've never even met the actual owner. When we call the lady she never answers. The only time we ever got through to her was when I told my homegirl to call the lady because I think she was screening our calls. And my homegirl reached lady and the lady told her that the landlord would be in the area that day and would drop off the keys, and if he didnt we can call back and she would call a locksmith out to change lock. This was last week. I tried having my friend call today and chick isnt answering. I would have never copped anything or had it sent to my crib if I would have known this would been continuing.
Do you have any information to contact the landlord?  If not, try 411.com or Spokeo to try and find him to let him know what's going on.  If I had someone managing my property that was that bad at following up with my tenants, we would have some problems.  It's likely that he's not aware of the situation and is oblivious to any problems going on.
The lady told my homegirl that the guy is a pain to work with. And we arent the only people in the neighborhood with an issue like this from what I heard. I was pissed that the new mail man was tripping though, I`m like son I have my ID on my and credit cards with my name on it what the hell. This guy came like 4 hours late so I`m assuming the normal mail man was out sick or something. I was looking up info and the Post office doesnt issue replacement keys. So with a locksmith do they have like special locks meant just for mail boxes or what? I was thinking about just calling on and taking that out of the rent.
 
6,374
2,787
Joined Sep 29, 2004
How come you havent complained to the post office? Tell them you need to get your mail. Or call them and tell them to hold it for you at the post office.
 
14,811
4,085
Joined May 26, 2003
Originally Posted by djaward

How come you havent complained to the post office? Tell them you need to get your mail. Or call them and tell them to hold it for you at the post office.
Can the post office take my stuff back to the post office?
 
3,948
1,194
Joined Nov 16, 2001
Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by djaward

How come you havent complained to the post office? Tell them you need to get your mail. Or call them and tell them to hold it for you at the post office.
Can the post office take my stuff back to the post office?
Usually if mail hasn't been removed in 10 days, or the box is overflowing, they will stop delivery until you contact them directly at the PO.

Have you heard directly from anyone else besides the lady that he's a pain?  It's possible she's just trying to cover for herself.  You might as well try your luck.  The worst he can do is throw you out and then you can at least find a place where you can check your mail and get your business back up and running.
 
3,477
191
Joined Feb 6, 2011
I work at an apartment complex and I heard the postal service is suppose to change your locks, but I'm not sure if you can request it or the property owner has to request it. I change them myself though for the residents cause I heard the postal service can take like two weeks to send someone out to change it. If I was you, just break it open and change the lock. The mailman has a master key, so they won't care.
 

Mark Antony

Supporter
43,508
40,537
Joined Apr 30, 2010
If it's a mailbox that the guy from the post office has keys for, it means it's their property. Get your keys from the post office dude.
 
14,811
4,085
Joined May 26, 2003
Originally Posted by asianplayer

I work at an apartment complex and I heard the postal service is suppose to change your locks, but I'm not sure if you can request it or the property owner has to request it. I change them myself though for the residents cause I heard the postal service can take like two weeks to send someone out to change it. If I was you, just break it open and change the lock. The mailman has a master key, so they won't care.
When you say changed the locks, I thought the lock can only be changed to one that works with the master key, like there is certain cuts that will only work or something.
 
3,477
191
Joined Feb 6, 2011
Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

Originally Posted by asianplayer

I work at an apartment complex and I heard the postal service is suppose to change your locks, but I'm not sure if you can request it or the property owner has to request it. I change them myself though for the residents cause I heard the postal service can take like two weeks to send someone out to change it. If I was you, just break it open and change the lock. The mailman has a master key, so they won't care.
When you say changed the locks, I thought the lock can only be changed to one that works with the master key, like there is certain cuts that will only work or something.
I'm not sure if the one I am talking about has the same type of mailbox setup as the one you have. The one I have is each individual mailbox has a separate key, but when the postal worker comes, they use that master key and it opens up like 20 mailboxes at one time so they can do the mail pretty quickly.
 
Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks some useful and important features of our website. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker or head over to our upgrade page to donate for an ad-free experience Upgrade now