Soooo, has LeBron surpassed Kobe as the most hated? Vol. Dan Gilbert

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

Saw this on Real Sports tonight

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Bryant Gumbel weighs in on LeBron[/h1]
by Jason Lloyd on July 14, 2010 - 8:04 pm

in Uncategorized

For anyone who cares, here is a transcript of Bryant Gumbel’s close tonight to Real Sports on HBO, as provided by the network.

“Finally tonight, a few words about championship rings. Just when did they become the all-important barometer of who does or doesn’t count in sports? When did they supersede personal excellence or exemplary character as a standard of greatness?

“I got to thinking about that the other night after the self-anointed chosen one, LeBron James, embarrassed himself as he tried to make his decision to seek rings in Miami sound like a search for the Holy Grail. It’s when he essentially admitted to placing a higher priority on winning than anything else.

“LeBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and +%+# Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

“Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe he’ll get one, maybe he won’t, but it’s probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux can’t make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring can’t make one truly a champion.

[h1][/h1]

in Uncategorized

For anyone who cares, here is a transcript of Bryant Gumbel’s close tonight to Real Sports on HBO, as provided by the network.

“Finally tonight, a few words about championship rings. Just when did they become the all-important barometer of who does or doesn’t count in sports? When did they supersede personal excellence or exemplary character as a standard of greatness?

“I got to thinking about that the other night after the self-anointed chosen one, LeBron James, embarrassed himself as he tried to make his decision to seek rings in Miami sound like a search for the Holy Grail. It’s when he essentially admitted to placing a higher priority on winning than anything else.

“LeBron’s decision is typical of our immediate gratification era, but it flies in the face of history. Even though he never won a title, Dan Marino is still the biggest hero in Florida. And in Boston, all those Celtics championships are dimmed by the unforgettable brilliance of Ted Williams, who never won anything. In Chicago, Gale Sayers and +%+# Butkus have legendary status despite playing on losing teams. And even in the NBA, where guys seem obsessed with being viewed as ‘the man’, real men like Barkley, Ewing and Baylor are ringless, but revered.

“Despite such evidence to the contrary, LeBron James seems to think he needs a ring to change his life and secure his legacy. Maybe he’ll get one, maybe he won’t, but it’s probable that no amount of rings will ever remove the stench he wallowed in last week. LeBron may yet find that in the court of public opinion, just as putting on a tux can’t make a guy a gentleman, winning a ring can’t make one truly a champion.

Originally Posted by hypebeast5

bryant gumbel spoke wise words right there kobes first 3 rings made him a winner his last two made him a champion

This

I'm so sick hearing people say crap like Jordan had Pippen, Rodman and whoever, Magic had Worthy and Kareem. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Those dudes had help and allstars but there was always a hierarchy which they were at the top.

With the Heat there is one and Lebron ain't at the top. If you the best player in the NBA(as he has been the last two-three years)you don't go nowhere to be the help.

Originally Posted by hypebeast5

bryant gumbel spoke wise words right there kobes first 3 rings made him a winner his last two made him a champion

This

I'm so sick hearing people say crap like Jordan had Pippen, Rodman and whoever, Magic had Worthy and Kareem. BLAH BLAH BLAH

Those dudes had help and allstars but there was always a hierarchy which they were at the top.

With the Heat there is one and Lebron ain't at the top. If you the best player in the NBA(as he has been the last two-three years)you don't go nowhere to be the help.

Look I hate the abomination in Miami but folks is in denial.

Kobe Bryant would be the third best player on the Miami Heat.

Kobe Bryant playing #%* in the Finals and still winning a ring inspired this *#!#.

Lebron was watching that *#!# saying to himself "dude shot 38% for the series, went 6/24 in a game 7 AND still won a ring! Hell I can do that!"

Kobe Bryant playing #%* in the Finals and still winning a ring inspired this *#!#.

Lebron was watching that *#!# saying to himself "dude shot 38% for the series, went 6/24 in a game 7 AND still won a ring! Hell I can do that!"

Catching up w/ all the pages in these LeBron threads...and a common theme I see is dudes thinking it was either Cleveland or Miami.

There wouldn't have been as much fuss about his legacy and basketball character had he gone to a city/team that would've unquestionably been his. You can't tell me the Chicago scenario wasn't as good as Miami's and tailor made for a talent like LBJ. He really did show his *%% out these last few weeks as far as his mentality...

Catching up w/ all the pages in these LeBron threads...and a common theme I see is dudes thinking it was either Cleveland or Miami.

There wouldn't have been as much fuss about his legacy and basketball character had he gone to a city/team that would've unquestionably been his. You can't tell me the Chicago scenario wasn't as good as Miami's and tailor made for a talent like LBJ. He really did show his *%% out these last few weeks as far as his mentality...

[h1][/h1]

in Uncategorized

[h1][/h1]

in Uncategorized

Originally Posted by SneakerPro

roll.gif
Comedy.

And would? Kobe Bryant WOULD never go to another man's team, though.

roll.gif
Comedy.

And would? Kobe Bryant WOULD never go to another man's team, though.

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

this is what i've been saying for the past week. no one seems to get it through their damn heads.

NO ONE (outside of Cleveland) WOULD HAVE SAID A DAMN THING IF LEBRON WENT TO THE BULLS.

the Bulls + Lebron would have been favorites in the East after a few FAsignings. he could have won in Chicago and still gotten all the glory,legacy, etc for leading a team to a championship.  i've never reallyliked Lebron, but i would have been the first one to step up andcommend him for going to the Bulls. it would have been awesome to seehim take on the Wade/Bosh Heat squad, Boston's big three, Dwight'sMagic, etc. but he was too scared to even take on that challenge. he had to go hide behind D-Wade.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by iLLoQuent aka DSK

this is what i've been saying for the past week. no one seems to get it through their damn heads.

NO ONE (outside of Cleveland) WOULD HAVE SAID A DAMN THING IF LEBRON WENT TO THE BULLS.

the Bulls + Lebron would have been favorites in the East after a few FAsignings. he could have won in Chicago and still gotten all the glory,legacy, etc for leading a team to a championship.  i've never reallyliked Lebron, but i would have been the first one to step up andcommend him for going to the Bulls. it would have been awesome to seehim take on the Wade/Bosh Heat squad, Boston's big three, Dwight'sMagic, etc. but he was too scared to even take on that challenge. he had to go hide behind D-Wade.
smh.gif

DoubleJs07 wrote:

again, some of you all are hating JUST to hate.  No basis for your argument other than you didn't like the dude before he signed with the Heat. 

Is that so??  There's no hate involved here on my end champ, some of you dudes gotta learn the difference between someone telling it like it is versus trying to write off someone's comments as hate just because you don't understand them or chose not to.  I guess Bryant Gumbel is hating on LeRobin to with the letter he wrote as well right??  I actually liked the guy before he signed with the Heat thus throwing his legacy out the window and flushing it down the toilet.  That's the part thats most disturbing to basketball fans such as myself and others in here.  We watch the game and we love the game, for this clown to make a spectacle of the game and himself by hosting an hour long special about his "decision" and lying to fans about his decision for months on end is truly a shame.  I know you and a few others just accept what's tossed out there to you just because you don't like to question things and just go with the flow of things, but that's simply not how others that think for themselves operate.  Much like how you just accept things when it comes to the ********, I find your recent statements regarding this situation no different champ, and that's a shame as well.  The quote below sums up everything perfectly................ 

it would have been awesome to see him take on the Wade/Bosh Heat squad, Boston's big three, Dwight's Magic, etc. but he was too scared to even take on that challenge. he had to go hide behind D-Wade.
smh.gif

DoubleJs07 wrote:

again, some of you all are hating JUST to hate.  No basis for your argument other than you didn't like the dude before he signed with the Heat. 

Is that so??  There's no hate involved here on my end champ, some of you dudes gotta learn the difference between someone telling it like it is versus trying to write off someone's comments as hate just because you don't understand them or chose not to.  I guess Bryant Gumbel is hating on LeRobin to with the letter he wrote as well right??  I actually liked the guy before he signed with the Heat thus throwing his legacy out the window and flushing it down the toilet.  That's the part thats most disturbing to basketball fans such as myself and others in here.  We watch the game and we love the game, for this clown to make a spectacle of the game and himself by hosting an hour long special about his "decision" and lying to fans about his decision for months on end is truly a shame.  I know you and a few others just accept what's tossed out there to you just because you don't like to question things and just go with the flow of things, but that's simply not how others that think for themselves operate.  Much like how you just accept things when it comes to the ********, I find your recent statements regarding this situation no different champ, and that's a shame as well.  The quote below sums up everything perfectly................ 

it would have been awesome to see him take on the Wade/Bosh Heat squad, Boston's big three, Dwight's Magic, etc. but he was too scared to even take on that challenge. he had to go hide behind D-Wade.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Deuce King

DoubleJs07 wrote:

smh.gif

You said a whole lot of nothing...but the bold is your main point.  You're another one who's as transparent as the marques houston suit.  Coming off with a holier-than-thou attitude about why you're disappointed in Lebron while the REAL reason STEMS from the whole charade aka, "The Decision."  Don't play it off like he's ruining his legacy, because he's not.  Like I've said countless times before....it's understandable to dislike how he went about things in dragging everything out....but to play it off as something more than what it actually is, is laughable.  You're going to be tuned in to Heat games (just like everyone else) to see how this super-team works.  If they win a championship, you'll be there throwing salt.  That's your M.O. 

What's the main goal of a professional athlete?  I don't understand why it's such a big deal for a FREE AGENT to put himself in the best position possible to win MULTIPLE championships.  And some of yall are lying to yourselves if you say you wouldn't have had the same stance had he signed somewhere else.  If he's in Chicago, you'd be complaining...if he was in NY, you'd be complaining...if he re-signed in Cleveland, you'd be laughing.  Bottom line, it was a no-win situation for Lebron to appease everyone.  No matter what he did, his move would have been scrutinized. 

Originally Posted by Deuce King

DoubleJs07 wrote:

smh.gif

You said a whole lot of nothing...but the bold is your main point.  You're another one who's as transparent as the marques houston suit.  Coming off with a holier-than-thou attitude about why you're disappointed in Lebron while the REAL reason STEMS from the whole charade aka, "The Decision."  Don't play it off like he's ruining his legacy, because he's not.  Like I've said countless times before....it's understandable to dislike how he went about things in dragging everything out....but to play it off as something more than what it actually is, is laughable.  You're going to be tuned in to Heat games (just like everyone else) to see how this super-team works.  If they win a championship, you'll be there throwing salt.  That's your M.O. 

What's the main goal of a professional athlete?  I don't understand why it's such a big deal for a FREE AGENT to put himself in the best position possible to win MULTIPLE championships.  And some of yall are lying to yourselves if you say you wouldn't have had the same stance had he signed somewhere else.  If he's in Chicago, you'd be complaining...if he was in NY, you'd be complaining...if he re-signed in Cleveland, you'd be laughing.  Bottom line, it was a no-win situation for Lebron to appease everyone.  No matter what he did, his move would have been scrutinized. 

how is the best basketball player on the best basketball team in the WORLD right now going to be the third best player on the heat?
Im a fan of the heat (way before this entire world domination plan thing happened) but at the end of the day, Kobe outshines every player on the heat. Sure the heat may beat the lakers in the regular season, but at the end of the day, if you match kobe up with every person on that team, he is better. 

lebron shot better in the 2nd round than Kobe did in the finals... and got knocked out when they played boston.... 

Kobe was on a blood hunt up until the finals... 

Back
Top Bottom