Sounding Black and Using Proper English....NOT an oxymoron!

super hood people say i speak "proper"....screw it, ill speak proper and not live in the hood.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

I sorta get what she is saying (I think). Like for instance say you call somewhere, and someone answers the phone, I can usually tell what race they are. Black men and white men's voices sound different I guess.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

at the reporter video
exactly dude is actin like I said if you sound a certain way you are automatically white/black/latino/asian, I'm just saying sometimes you cancorrectly guess, its not always a correct one tho.

Originally Posted by NooEra

Op, so you're saying, if you picked up the phone and had no idea who was on the other line, you'd know if they were white or black EVERYTIME?

Pretty much and if you are off its probably because they have adopted white linguistic inflections and vocal tonality. Which, I think was the whole point ofthe OP.

You can't tell the difference between black voices and white voices?

Cultural identification fail.

Ok now lets be honest, if you didn't know any better would you mistake James Earl Jones for a white man?? exactly

On the other hand though George Takei does sound like a brotha to me
laugh.gif

If you're on the phone and you have that deep voice with that hip hop slang/accent, I think for the most part people usually stereotype you as thoughyou're a black person.

I get offended when people say I sound white. People stayed on that s&&* in the high school I went to, no one says it anymore now that I'm older.But I've always felt for many reasons it's an ignorant thing to say.

I do think accents/ speaking improperly aside you can sound like a black man. They have more bass in their voices? You can sound like a black man withoutsounding like a a guest on the Jerry Springer or Maury show.

I'm not gonna read anything else after your posts, but i see where you're coming from, like Obama and Tavis Smiley sound black, has nothing to do withhow articulate/inarticulate you are or regional dialect. Like that's a black man just speaking and not try to put any extra on it in any direction. I feelyou, but you not new to this, you know where this thread is headed, if it ain't there already.

Originally Posted by NothinAfter

so does eminem sound like a black person?

/thread
HAIL NAW
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

and matterhorn, I was bored and this is the last day of summer vacation. I'mma go back to hiding so I just wanted to make a ripple in the ocean for a bit

What you're asking is why do people deny their ACTUAL voices( had nothing to do with race) to sound more white?

I.e. that reporter?

to make white people more comfortable, but it is wrong to assume and generalize that if a black mean speaks a certain way that he is trying to assimilate towhite culture. You fail every time you generalize, just understand that. It is absurd to claim that you have pinpointed the way EVERY Black person speaks.

Originally Posted by NothinAfter

so does eminem sound like a black person?

/thread
He's never sounded Black to me. The phone thing was always obvious to me but maybe people of other races don't notice these things asmuch. I'm Black btw

Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshakes

What you're asking is why do people deny their ACTUAL voices( had nothing to do with race) to sound more white?

I.e. that reporter?

to make white people more comfortable, but it is wrong to assume and generalize that if a black mean speaks a certain way that he is trying to assimilate to white culture. You fail every time you generalize, just understand that. It is absurd to claim that you have pinpointed the way EVERY Black person speaks.
Oh

Who doesnt know that sounding black means to have bass, a low vocab, improper grammar, high volume, and
dont forget to add the sass.

Originally Posted by Strawberry Milkshakes

I.e. that reporter?

to make white people more comfortable, but it is wrong to assume and generalize that if a black mean speaks a certain way that he is trying to assimilate to white culture. You fail every time you generalize, just understand that. It is absurd to claim you can pinpoint the way EVERY black person speaks.
indifferent.gif

Henry Louis gates from west virginia...I KNOW he ain't grow up sounding like the way he does now...... I can understand toning down the accent (I gotta ahomie from DC who had to do that ) but he still sounds the same.

Originally Posted by MILLION DOLLAR STACKS

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

smh.gif
At people in hear tryna act coy like "What do you mean sound black?"

You know DAMN WELL what she's getting at...
dudes acting dumb to bring the lulz.
thats what im saying

everyone knows damn well hearing a black person speak and person of another race speak will sound totally different. And im not talking about slang oranything, people just sound different.

Back
Top Bottom