South Dakota's $450,000 Anti-Meth Campaign Backfires !!

I used to go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota a lot for work; didn't even notice this was an issue out there. I work in an area in San Francisco were there are meth heads tweaking out every other block, so SD seemed pretty peaceful by comparison. I still got a lot of "What the hell is this foreigner doing here" looks when I went out to eat by myself, but that's another issue

I think that's what the ad might have been aiming for (that we don't always notice people who are suffering from drug issues) but they presented it poorly

I used to go to Sioux Falls, South Dakota a lot for work; didn't even notice this was an issue out there. I work in an area in San Francisco were there are meth heads tweaking out every other block, so SD seemed pretty peaceful by comparison. I still got a lot of "What the hell is this foreigner doing here" looks when I went out to eat by myself, but that's another issue

I think that's what the ad might have been aiming for (that we don't always notice people who are suffering from drug issues) but they presented it poorly
Never would’ve known. Don’t know a lick about any of the Dakotas. I feel like something like this would now put a negative reputation on the area

Never would’ve known. Don’t know a lick about any of the Dakotas. I feel like something like this would now put a negative reputation on the area

I can only talk about Sioux Falls, but there's only 175K people or so in the entire city despite it being the largest city in South Dakota, and it's spread out over a large area, so you hardly see people out and about there. I think the campaign is trying to bring attention to the issue since otherwise the average person wouldn't think it exists out there (since you see like 5 people walking outside, even in their downtown area)

These rural Midwestern/Southern states call California a liberal hellhole because of the number of homeless and drug addicts, but if you look at percentages of population, those states are up there as well. You just don't see it out there due to them being spread out over miles and miles of emptiness

Last edited:
What's there to do in South Dakota anyways? Other than meth

-Look at fields
-Eat burgers 24/7. No joke, that's literally all they seem to eat. Felt like throwing up after a couple days with my coworkers
-Mt Rushmore if you're into that
-If you're not white, get uncomfortable stares for being the only person with black hair/tan skin wherever you go

That's about it

care to share a story? :lol:

Interesting...

Population: 118,099
% African American: 5.43%
# Of African American Residents: 6,411
Percent Change Since 2010: 180.57%
More on Fargo: Real Estate | Data | Photos
Fargo is the most populous city in the state of North Dakota, accounting for nearly 16% of the state population. Fargo is also the county seat of Cass County. According to the 2016 United States Census estimates, its population was 120,762, making it the 229th-most populous city in the United States. Fargo, along with its twin city of Moorhead, Minnesota, as well as the adjacent cities of West Fargo, North Dakota and Dilworth, Minnesota, form the core of the Fargo-Moorhead, ND-MN Metropolitan Statistical Area, which in 2016 contained a population of 238,124. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Fargo as the fourth fastest-growing small city in the United States.

care to share a story? :lol:

I'm ethnically ambiguous looking and can pass for Southern European, Latino, Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian, Native American...basically any race that has black hair and a tan. All are disliked/looked down upon in the Midwest; South Dakota was the first place I heard of the term "prairie n___" when referring to Native Americans.

I personally didn't experience any blatant racism but there's this constant uncomfortable feeling out there for me. The only ethnic people I saw out there were refugees or in positions like busboys, janitors, etc. so it felt like I was in 1950s USA rather than 2017. The looks/unfriendly attitude I got at restaurants was bad enough to the point where I just stayed in my hotel/office there 99% of the time.

I remember going to a bar/restaurant near my hotel one time since it was the only place open for food at 11 PM; I walked in and damn near all the white people in there turned their heads to stare at me. I got my food to go and dipped out of there ASAP

I also got tested for chemicals on my fingers by TSA 3/5 times I went there.

When I say people are white out there, I mean that they are WHITE white. This was the only place I've been to where I was the only one with black hair almost anywhere I went, and I've gone to Nordic countries for vacation many times :lol:

Last edited:
Interesting...

Population: 118,099
% African American: 5.43%
# Of African American Residents: 6,411
Percent Change Since 2010: 180.57%
More on Fargo: Real Estate | Data | Photos
Fargo is the most populous city in the state of North Dakota, accounting for nearly 16% of the state population. Fargo is also the county seat of Cass County. According to the 2016 United States Census estimates, its population was 120,762, making it the 229th-most populous city in the United States. Fargo, along with its twin city of Moorhead, Minnesota, as well as the adjacent cities of West Fargo, North Dakota and Dilworth, Minnesota, form the core of the Fargo-Moorhead, ND-MN Metropolitan Statistical Area, which in 2016 contained a population of 238,124. In 2014, Forbes magazine ranked Fargo as the fourth fastest-growing small city in the United States.

Curious as to why that big of an increase aside from the cost of living

The only ethnic people I saw out there were refugees or in positions like busboys, janitors, etc. so it felt like I was in 1950s USA rather than 2017. The looks/unfriendly attitude I got at restaurants was bad enough to the point where I just stayed in my hotel/office there 99% of the time.

I remember going to a bar/restaurant near my hotel one time since it was the only place open for food at 11 PM; I walked in and damn near all the white people in there turned their heads to stare at me. I got my food to go and dipped out of there ASAP

sounds exactly like me in new hampshire. bought a red bull at the airport snack shop and dude lowered the price. i asked why and he said all employees get a discount.

i walked into one restaurant to get a sandwich and when i walked in, a buncha people stopped and stared. if there was a sound effect it woulda been the record scratch :lol:

i’m often confused for being hispanic or american indian on the mainland.

sounds exactly like me in new hampshire. bought a red bull at the airport snack shop and dude lowered the price. i asked why and he said all employees get a discount.

i walked into one restaurant to get a sandwich and when i walked in, a buncha people stopped and stared. if there was a sound effect it woulda been the record scratch :lol:

Sounds like the time I went to LA. I walked into a restaurant to get a sandwich and when I went to pay, the cashier tried to let me take the sandwich without paying but I told him that I wasn't a Broke Boi like the Liberal scum that frequent the establishment. I kicked him a twenty and told him to keep the change. Tears rolled down his face and he asked where I was from. I told him I was from Buffington where Libbies, Soy Bois and Broke Bois aren't allowed.

Perfect way to describe how I felt :lol: During my first trip there, the only non-white person I saw was this Ethiopian looking dude working at a coffee shop. I'm not even close to looking Ethiopian but damn, I had never been so happy to just see an ethnic person before. I got the feeling you get when you finally reunite with your family/best friends :lol:

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be able to take my dad with me to any of those states....he’ll be loud as **** in any public setting and pick a fight if you look at him wrong :lol: :ohwell:

Back
Top Bottom