Sports Conspiracy Theories

Given the recent events of this past weekend, I've been thinking a lot about the different conspiracy theories in sports.

Some of this stuff is just mindless blabber, but I'm one of those guys who's passively interested in these shady, behind-the-scenes stories that shape sports history. Not in a paranoid way though.

What are some big ones?

- Patrick Ewing - frozen envelope
- Michael Jordan being suspended for 2 years, played baseball
- Tim Donaghy stuff

If anyone has interesting reading, post.

I've always been interested in the Michael Jordan being retired for two years one.

Always wanna know more truth about that MJ story. I believe Stern did suspend him tho.

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

- Michael Jordan being suspended for 2 years, played baseball
I forget who typed up a ton explaining this.
Cool theory. 

I don't really have a lot, just that I think officiating dictates a lot of games and that perhaps some times get the benefit  and calls....

Also The Decision was made before the season ended imo 

^
laugh.gif

The Truth Is Out There: From The 1985 NBA Draft Lottery To The Olympics To Game-Fixing ... Which Conspiracy Theory Can You Believe?
An investigation of sports' biggest conspiracy theories, starting with the 1985 NBA draft:

"I believe in the fix. I believe in the hidden hand, that sports have a secret, redacted history. I believe that Game 6 of the 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals was a sham, that Spygate was a cover-up of a cover-up, that Super Bowl III was preordained, that Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s heartwarming 2001 victory at Daytona was, in fact, too good to be true, that Michael Jordan's first baseball-playing retirement was anything but, that powerful forces don't want me to write this because powerful forces don't want you to read this. I believe that black is white, white is black, the 1990 World Cup draw was rigged[13] and Sophia Loren was definitely in on the con. Most of all, I believe that on June 18, 1985, inside the Starlight Room of the Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York City, in front of Pat O'Brien and nearly 150 reporters and umpteen popping flashbulbs and an entire world utterly oblivious to the conspiracy about to take place before them in plain sight, David Joel Stern did not act alone.

"Of course, I might be crazy."
AUTHOR:tongue:atrick Hruby
SOURCE:www.thepostgame.com
PUBLISHED: May 30, 2012
LENGTH: (8376 words)
http://lgrd.co/LRUGIo

Another one being the Heat forming the Big 3. I'm pretty sure we all know they were planning it for a while, but I think they broke some serious rules before free agency.

This is why "they'd never even trade Bosh for Dwight Howard, because Bosh knows where the bodies are buried."

Jordan, as most know now, had a gambling problem. at this point he was the face of the NBA and Stern didn't take to kindly so he basically forced michael to take a break from basketball to rebuild his image.

I don't necessarily buy it but whatever floats people's boats.

Originally Posted by diew its james

background on the MJ suspension? why would stern suspend him?

gambling I believe. a lot of cover up? idk about it but it seems odd for a superstar to just retire for 2 years and then come back

Originally Posted by SenorRoboto2k5

Another one being the Heat forming the Big 3. I'm pretty sure we all know they were planning it for a while, but I think they broke some serious rules before free agency.

This is why "they'd never even trade Bosh for Dwight Howard, because Bosh knows where the bodies are buried."

LBJ announcing his number change in MIA, Chris Bosh slipping up at the 'Heat concert' saying they talked about it for months. They definitely planned it out for months, and of course the infamous 'Lebron tanking in game 5 against the Celtics in 2010'.

That, more than anything - is why I dislike the Heat team.

This is Michael Jordan we're talking about here. His personality doesn't lend well to him bowing out and "sitting" for 2 years.

Originally Posted by FudgeMoney24

In before "the 2002 series between the Lakers and Kings was rigged."

eyes.gif
Who said that?
laugh.gif
It's pure luck and it was on the Lakers' side. I was rooting for the Kings back then.

the events that transpired after this picture, I believe, was totally RIGGED:

basketball-fight-spurs-against-suns.jpg

The Sonics leaving Seattle. Clay Bennett knew he was moving the team when he bought them...

The three Op mentioned, also:

-This years "lottery". So it's supposed to be random, yet we're not shown the actual lottery balls being picked?
laugh.gif
And the information I've been hearing is Stern promised the number one pick to the buyer of the Hornets, as an incentive. Makes tons of sense.

-"Basketball Reasons"- lol they didn't even put much work into this one.

- Vegas sports betting give certain teams advantages to win.

The amount of people that saw the lottery picks makes it seem impossible to now rig. Too many people involved and the eyewitness accounts all seemed legit. Back in the day though, very possible

Refs and Vegas seem most plausible and understandable.

Back
Top Bottom