Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Man that calorie counting system is for folks that are either:
A. Perfectionists
B. Just starting out o trying to make serious losses.

I tried to write down what I ate but that mess is tiring man. Seriously. I have enough trouble writing down my workouts. Well I do keep a spreadsheet so I am not "writing" anything but you know what I mean.
I'm just doing it as an assignment for a class. I'd never faithfully count calories. Way too much extra work for me. The software is interesting though. Comparing my RDI to my intake and such. I disagree with quite a few of the RDI figures, but that's set for extremely sedentary people.

Has anybody ever done the Russian Bear program? I'm itching to up my workout volume.

How much can a nutritionist make? I am thinking about a career move here. Can I get certified to become a nutritionist much like a trainer? Or do I have to get some super formal institutionalized form of teaching to become one.

How much can a nutritionist make? I am thinking about a career move here. Can I get certified to become a nutritionist much like a trainer? Or do I have to get some super formal institutionalized form of teaching to become one.
alotta people to to 4yr schools and go through the sports program

edit:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4...rack2&utm_source=ask

laugh.gif
start in the fall or summer sessions if possible alotta work , i thought it was easy

It requires a good bit of formal education. It's not very rewarding in my opinion. Low salary, long hours, etc. They're not really appreciated. I've heard that they're taught a 'cookie-cutter' method of programming a diet. That's not to say that you can't be a good nutritionist, but it would be rather hard in my opinion. Most work for hospitals and other companies/large businesses. They rarely have the freedom that I'd like if I were to have it for a job. You do have to get certified to become a Registered Dietician. You can be a 'nutritionist' without anything, but you have to be certified to become a Registered Dietician and use that title.
Just by reading nutrition textbooks, you can get a feel for what they do. I really disagree with some of the stances that the government has adopted regarding nutrition(low fat, high carb diet, etc.), but that is what's discussed in many nutrition textbooks. Take a nutrition course before you seriously consider the switch. It may not be worth the hassle to you. Also, why not talk to a RD about their work environment. They'll give you a much more relevant and useful explanation than a regular person can.

i have a question. i recently lost a considerable amount of weight in a short period of time. im concerned about a possibility of having excess skin. anyone have any suggestions to avoid this problem or help solve it? thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Just by reading nutrition textbooks, you can get a feel for what they do. I really disagree with some of the stances that the government has adopted regarding nutrition(low fat, high carb diet, etc.), but that is what's discussed in many nutrition textbooks. Take a nutrition course before you seriously consider the switch. It may not be worth the hassle to you. Also, why not talk to a RD about their work environment. They'll give you a much more relevant and useful explanation than a regular person can.
Why do you disagree with the advice the government has given about nutrition?  I dont see any reason why its not the most useful advice.  Its based upon scientific research.

Also, what do you disagree with in regards to the DRI?  The DRI is set to prevent chronic diseases.  Its not intended for people who exercise. 

ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
I was thinking about doing something like what youre trying to Durden since I'm so into diet and exercise and stuff from losing weight but then I remember taking that nutrition class last year and that class was pretty boring.. learning about how amino acids and stuff work and learning all these body parts and axons and blah blah blah. I don't know what I'm trying to do as a career or major yet

If you guys don't want to become a nutritionist because of the pay theres alot of other related fields that could be good to go into...excercise science, sports science and all that kinda stuff.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Why do you disagree with the advice the government has given about nutrition?  I dont see any reason why its not the most useful advice.  Its based upon scientific research.

Also, what do you disagree with in regards to the DRI?  The DRI is set to prevent chronic diseases.  Its not intended for people who exercise. 

Wrong, scientific research by the New England Journal of Medicine has shown that obese individuals that went on a low-carb diet, but ate considerably more saturated fat, ended up with the healthiest ratio of cholesterol(hdl:ldl) and also lost 2x more weight than the low-fat eating counterparts.

Harvard also has some research on the subject; i've talked about this before, i don't know if i did it here(this thread), though.

EDIT- Low-fat diet based on the HAA guidelines

Originally Posted by NjCollector

Wrong, scientific research by the New England Journal of Medicine has shown that obese individuals that went on a low-carb diet, but ate considerably more saturated fat, ended up with the healthiest ratio of cholesterol(hdl:ldl) and also lost 2x more weight than the low-fat eating counterparts.

Harvard also has some research on the subject; i've talked about this before, i don't know if i did it here(this thread), though.

Those people are obese.

If youre going where I think youre going with this youve got a tough case to prove.

Originally Posted by iLLest

I tried the MyDailyPlate site. 
I put 190 pounds at 5'11. Want to lose 3 pounds per week. Said I needed 1,921 calories to reach my goal. 

[font=Helvetica, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]I then put in everything I ate today and it came out to 1,537 calories. [/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]I needed [/font]

[font=Times, Arial]48 grams of protein, I ate 101.[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]38 grams of sugar, I ate 109.[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]62 grams of fat, I ate 27.[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]My totals was:[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]25.6% Protein[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]15.31% Fat[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]59.23% Carbs[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]I then put it what I worked out today:[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]90 minutes weight training[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]20 minutes jump roping [/font]

[font=Times, Arial]Total: 1178 calories burned[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]I ate damn near nothing and didn't burn more calories than I consumed?!? And in order to lose fat you burn more than you consume. 
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]Makes NO God damn sense. [/font]

[font=Times, Arial]
[/font]

[font=Times, Arial]iLLest![/font]
laugh.gif
3 pounds a week? That's 10,500 calories below your maintenance per week. Good luck with that.

Those people are obese.

If youre going where I think youre going with this youve got a tough case to prove. --> ?
34% of americans are obese and 1/4 of children + 68% of americans are overweight. The numbers talk for themselves.

What I believe Nealraj was trying to say, is that he doesn't support the government's nutritional stance/guidelines, which (Nealraj) he is right in doing so.

Source for factual up-to-date percentages- http://www.nytimes.com/20...1/14/health/14obese.html
Source for previous factual statements- Scientific American May 2010 Issue; there is more experiments/info. provided in the article,on this matter at hand, but i can not recall them at the moment.

Those people are obese.

If youre going where I think youre going with this youve got a tough case to prove. --> ?
34% of americans are obese and 1/4 of children + 68% of americans are overweight. The numbers talk for themselves.

What I believe Nealraj was trying to say, is that he doesn't support the government's nutritional stance/guidelines, which (Nealraj) he is right in doing so.

Source for factual up-to-date percentages- http://www.nytimes.com/20...1/14/health/14obese.html
Source for previous factual statements- Scientific American May 2010 Issue; there is more experiments/info. provided in the article,on this matter at hand, but i can not recall them at the moment.

I know the numbers on people being overweight.  The actual numbers dont play a role in this topic.

I wasnt saying that he didnt have a right in saying he didnt support the governments guidelines.  I was asking him why he felt that way to which you decided to answer for him.  You also told me that I was wrong for stating that their guidelines are based upon scientific research.  Are you claiming that they just randomly chose their guidelines and have no facts to support their rules?  You gave me 1 study that used obese people as the test subjects.  Thats hardly the best sample for this topic.

Are you suggesting that we now give nutritional advice with the assumption that the person is obese?

I asked him for his thoughts and you answered by telling me I was wrong.  I really dont know why you chose to answer for him.  It baffles me.

Originally Posted by gatorad3

ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
I was thinking about doing something like what youre trying to Durden since I'm so into diet and exercise and stuff from losing weight but then I remember taking that nutrition class last year and that class was pretty boring.. learning about how amino acids and stuff work and learning all these body parts and axons and blah blah blah. I don't know what I'm trying to do as a career or major yet

Is it that it was boring or was it too confusing?

Dont worry about what youre trying to do as a career yet.  Find something youre curious about and follow it.

i have a question. i recently lost a considerable amount of weight in ashort period of time. im concerned about a possibility of having excessskin. anyone have any suggestions to avoid this problem or help solveit? thanks in advance.
How much in what time frame?

So been in the gym a little over 2 months. Lost 10-15 lbs sitting around 190 currently. Just to get back into it I was doing 3x15,12,10 with decent weight. I want to start going a little harder. Just curious on how many reps I should switch to? I was thinking about a 4 rep thing with real heavy weight to switch it up quick and back to 8 reps? I'm not sure? Or like 3x10 slowly making my way up?

Just pick something and stick with it im doing 5x5 on my compunds and 3x8-10 on everythin else. Ill switch it up when i feel needed. Rep range etc I dont think is that important within reason its just consistency

Originally Posted by solelifik

can anyone give me tips on clean bulking ? i needa put on some weight !

Tip: don't do it.

Just eat alot. if you are presented with the opportunity to eat a bigmac.. DO IT.
clean = no caloric dense foods i.e. fried chicken.
However, if you do it once in a while it's only helping you. If you are working out regularly, you won't get a spare tire gut from a few trips to your favorite fast food joint. ESPECIALLY if you are getting in a couple salads a day and otherwise clean foods

Originally Posted by gatorad3

ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

Is it that it was boring or was it too confusing?

Dont worry about what youre trying to do as a career yet.  Find something youre curious about and follow it.

i have a question. i recently lost a considerable amount of weight in ashort period of time. im concerned about a possibility of having excessskin. anyone have any suggestions to avoid this problem or help solveit? thanks in advance.
How much in what time frame?

no joke like 40 lbs in 4 weeks. i was somewhat athletic in high school but once wrestling season ended 3 years ago its been bad from there. although in the last month i decided to work out and diet properly again. although the idea of  excess skin grosses me out and i want to steer cleear from that. 

There is a lot of politics involved in the government recommendations. I strongly recommend "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes. It explains in great detail how the government reached it's conclusions for dietary recommendations. Basically, the dietary guidelines are based on information that came out of the 70's. Recent research has proved otherwise, but it is also inconclusive. I say that because it is extremely difficult to perform long-term studies on humans while only altering a few key nutrients. Many people that the studies are performed on lose weight, which would only help their readings. If they were to do a long-term study on humans, it would be more useful that a long-term study on rats. Although that would require many more resources and much more time. It's unlikely that we'll see the recommendations change anytime soon, but I believe that eventually the government may be forced into doing so.
I agree that it is useful to have a baseline for nutrient intake. It's not going to hurt anyone to have a minimum amount, but to impose a maximum limit for certain nutrients doesn't make much sense. For example, assuming that a person consumes a diet rich in vitamins, minerals, and protein, does it really matter what their fuel source is? I don't see much of a reason to claim that a high carbohydrate, low fat diet is superior to a high fat, low carbohydrate diet, assuming all other variables are the same. As long as the individual consumes a reasonable amount of calories and is relatively active, I don't see any problem arising. Certain other nutrients' figures aren't right either, in my opinion. I also don't quite understand why the government pushes people to exercise, but then gives them dietary recommendations for people that don't exercise.

On a side note, I tried out higher volume training (Russian Bear). I'm going back to low volume
laugh.gif
 It was extra boring

just started creatine today....i heard that loading and maintaining really do the same thing in the long run, so i'm gonna just take it easy and do a week of loading 10g per day and then 4 weeks of 5g per day and then 3 weeks off....If anyone has any tips id love to hear them

what is a low calorie protien supplement for someone trying to shed excess fat and get lean. On my last 10-15lbs and yet to include any supplements

Back
Top Bottom