Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by dgk3188

any soccer players in here? i just joined a league whereas before i was only playing pick-up games. now that im getting more serious about my game i really want to work on endurance and other things that'll help on the pitch.

i feel like i've had to go back to the drawing board when i'm at the gym. Before i was only really working out for aesthetic reasons. Just to get bigger and look better...(which worked, since i started working out and bulking up i went from a mere 140 to around 165)

now that size isn't really a concern for my i feel that days in the gym where im working on upperbody could be spent doing more cardio. now, i know the importance of still working out my upperbody since sometimes on the pitch you do need to muscle up and at the end the stronger guy will gain the advantage...but i want to make sure im working out my lower body properly. i went from 4 sets of heavy weights doing like 10-12 reps to 4 sets of lighter weights doing 15-20 reps. (squats, db lungers, leg extensions, deadlifts, calf raises, etc)

is this how i should be working out if i want to work on endurance? Carlitos Tevez! help a brother out here my man, i know you're the resident soccer expert around here
How many times a week are you gonna be practicing/playing?

Like you said, upper body strength is still important because a lot of times you're going to be coming into contact with other players. I dont know what your schedule is like but this past summer when I was playing 3-4x a week I would lift upperbody 1-2x a week. I did heavy compound lifts like bench press, military press, rows, pull ups, dips, etc for 4-8 reps. Dont waste your time doing isolation exercises because they wont help you on the field. As you said, there is a difference between lifting for aesthetics and lifting for sports.

As for legs, stick to free weights and compounds as well. Squat, deadlift, lunges, Bulgarian split-squat (very VERY important exercise...I think this is the most important one for me personally because it helped me improve my muscle imbalances). Unlike upper body, I think doing isolation exercises for legs is important so keep on doing those calf raises (helps prevent shin splints and will give you more endurance in your calves) as well as a couple sets of leg extensions and hamstring leg curls just so that you dont have any imbalances. I'm not sure how many times a week you'll be playing but just listen to your body...if you're too tired then forget going to the gym and just rest. But try to work out your legs atleast once a week and twice if possible. I would not lift really heavy but I usually did 6-10 reps. Occasionally I did sets of 20 reps for squats just to help improve my cardio and get my legs used to all the stress that you'll feel on the pitch.

Cardio is pretty easy...the best way to improve your cardio is by playing. Even if you feel good in practice, you'll probably need a few competitive games to get in game shape. I remember feeling good about my cardio but the first 3 games of the season I was extremely gassed. Competitive games are played much faster and require more running. When you're feeling good then do some HIIT (I like doing it on the elliptical because it doesnt put any stress on my legs), and you could also do some fast paced interval running outside. I dont recommend going for long jogs because you'll never be running at a steady state during a match...it's always something like jog, walk, jog, sprint, walk, sprint, jog, walk, etc etc. Going for long jogs wont prepare you for the sprinting aspect involved in soccer.

Ab exercises are important too...try to do ab exercises that work your abs, obliques and lower back...also do ab exercises that incorporate your legs so that you can strengthen your groin muscles as well.

You can also kill two birds with one stone by doing circuit training with weights...workout all your muscles without resting for as long as possible...if you're doing it right I guarantee you'll be on life support after 20 minutes (heart rate will be well over 170)
laugh.gif
. I wish I could do circuit training but my gym sucks so I havent done it in like 2 years.

As for food...bananas, oatmeal, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc are your friends. I also like gatorade before, during and after matches. The thing I hated worse than being extremely tired after a match was being EXTREMELY hungry...I was eating enough food to feed an African village. You play soccer for over 60-minutes and you're going to be starving after which tells you you're body badly needs some nutrients. Protein intake is still important but you dont need the 200+ grams that people recommend...

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by dgk3188

any soccer players in here? i just joined a league whereas before i was only playing pick-up games. now that im getting more serious about my game i really want to work on endurance and other things that'll help on the pitch.

i feel like i've had to go back to the drawing board when i'm at the gym. Before i was only really working out for aesthetic reasons. Just to get bigger and look better...(which worked, since i started working out and bulking up i went from a mere 140 to around 165)

now that size isn't really a concern for my i feel that days in the gym where im working on upperbody could be spent doing more cardio. now, i know the importance of still working out my upperbody since sometimes on the pitch you do need to muscle up and at the end the stronger guy will gain the advantage...but i want to make sure im working out my lower body properly. i went from 4 sets of heavy weights doing like 10-12 reps to 4 sets of lighter weights doing 15-20 reps. (squats, db lungers, leg extensions, deadlifts, calf raises, etc)

is this how i should be working out if i want to work on endurance? Carlitos Tevez! help a brother out here my man, i know you're the resident soccer expert around here
How many times a week are you gonna be practicing/playing?

Like you said, upper body strength is still important because a lot of times you're going to be coming into contact with other players. I dont know what your schedule is like but this past summer when I was playing 3-4x a week I would lift upperbody 1-2x a week. I did heavy compound lifts like bench press, military press, rows, pull ups, dips, etc for 4-8 reps. Dont waste your time doing isolation exercises because they wont help you on the field. As you said, there is a difference between lifting for aesthetics and lifting for sports.

As for legs, stick to free weights and compounds as well. Squat, deadlift, lunges, Bulgarian split-squat (very VERY important exercise...I think this is the most important one for me personally because it helped me improve my muscle imbalances). Unlike upper body, I think doing isolation exercises for legs is important so keep on doing those calf raises (helps prevent shin splints and will give you more endurance in your calves) as well as a couple sets of leg extensions and hamstring leg curls just so that you dont have any imbalances. I'm not sure how many times a week you'll be playing but just listen to your body...if you're too tired then forget going to the gym and just rest. But try to work out your legs atleast once a week and twice if possible. I would not lift really heavy but I usually did 6-10 reps. Occasionally I did sets of 20 reps for squats just to help improve my cardio and get my legs used to all the stress that you'll feel on the pitch.

Cardio is pretty easy...the best way to improve your cardio is by playing. Even if you feel good in practice, you'll probably need a few competitive games to get in game shape. I remember feeling good about my cardio but the first 3 games of the season I was extremely gassed. Competitive games are played much faster and require more running. When you're feeling good then do some HIIT (I like doing it on the elliptical because it doesnt put any stress on my legs), and you could also do some fast paced interval running outside. I dont recommend going for long jogs because you'll never be running at a steady state during a match...it's always something like jog, walk, jog, sprint, walk, sprint, jog, walk, etc etc. Going for long jogs wont prepare you for the sprinting aspect involved in soccer.

Ab exercises are important too...try to do ab exercises that work your abs, obliques and lower back...also do ab exercises that incorporate your legs so that you can strengthen your groin muscles as well.

You can also kill two birds with one stone by doing circuit training with weights...workout all your muscles without resting for as long as possible...if you're doing it right I guarantee you'll be on life support after 20 minutes (heart rate will be well over 170)
laugh.gif
. I wish I could do circuit training but my gym sucks so I havent done it in like 2 years.

As for food...bananas, oatmeal, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc are your friends. I also like gatorade before, during and after matches. The thing I hated worse than being extremely tired after a match was being EXTREMELY hungry...I was eating enough food to feed an African village. You play soccer for over 60-minutes and you're going to be starving after which tells you you're body badly needs some nutrients. Protein intake is still important but you dont need the 200+ grams that people recommend...
you're the man! thanks for the info. i'll probably need to look into how to do HIIT. would the p90x plyometrics be considered HIIT?

i practice once a week, play a game once a week and do pick-up games once a week as well. so i'm out there 3 times a week.

I havent looked into P90x that much but it looks like its circuit training, not HIIT. HIIT is when you do intervals...i.e. 20 seconds of sprinting followed by 40-60 seconds of jogging/walking. After a few sprints you will be exhausted because of the short rest time.

If you're playing 3x a week then maybe you should lift atleast 2x a week and rest atleast 2 days a week. See how your body reacts. After a few months of playing its normal for your body to feel a bit more fatigue which means you may require some extra rest.

"I don’t want a shallow woman who wants me for my money. I want a shallow woman who wants me for my abs."-Kane Sumabat

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Al Audi

"I don’t want a shallow woman who wants me for my money. I want a shallow woman who wants me for my abs."-Kane Sumabat

pimp.gif

i like this
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by bkmac

No matter the exercise, no matter how many sets/reps I do, no matter how much weight I am using, my biceps are just not getting any bigger. What gives? 
30t6p3b.gif

ohwell.gif

Forget the curls, weighted pull ups and high volume of pullups will REALLY get your biceps growing.
The bicep is a relatively small muscle, if you want bigger arms just remember that your tricep is 2/3rd of your arm size.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by bkmac

No matter the exercise, no matter how many sets/reps I do, no matter how much weight I am using, my biceps are just not getting any bigger. What gives? 
30t6p3b.gif

ohwell.gif
I dont care much for biceps but maybe you should try doing heavy weighted back exercises (if you arent already doing so). Pull-ups, chin-ups, weighted chin-ups, barbell rows, dumbell rows, lat pull downs, seated rows, etc. Dont be like those dudes at the gym that do 10 variations of curls, they can all do so much for your biceps
laugh.gif

P.S. I hate it when guys at the gym use adjustable benches to do one-armed dumbell preacher curls. I feel like slapping them everytime I see this crap. They're up there with the douches that use benches to rest the bar in between their bicep curl sets
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
Both similar responses, I might as well give this a shot and see if my biceps feel any different afterward. Thanks fellas.

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

^ "Abs are made in the kitchen."
Which is why I don't like eating at restaurants nowadays, because I like to know what I am putting into my food so it makes more sense what I get out of it. Plain and simple....I like cooking
Spoiler [+]
2l8knxt.gif

So my man tells me that Cardio + Diet + Pushups= ripped abs. Its kind of working for me, but what do you all think about this?

Originally Posted by shoeking2101

So my man tells me that Cardio + Diet + Pushups= ripped abs. Its kind of working for me, but what do you all think about this?

[h2]http://www.simplyshredded.com/kane-sumabat-reveals-how-he-attained-the-ultimate-mid-section.html[/h2]
[h2]Kane Sumabat Reveals How He Attained The Ultimate Mid Section[/h2]
Thousands of studies have proved that the opposite sex has various traits to offer a potential partner that is out on the prowl for their future other half. Humor, occupation, hair color and money are just a few of the ingredients that attract a vast wish list of requirements. Some people aren’t so shallow to place their priorities based on a person’s bank balance whilst on the other end of the spectrum, a person’s car is sometimes all that is needed to enhance the senses.

3137_82371960317_579795317_2217513_3651449_n.jpg

Admittedly, everyone is different but there is a trait that attracts a majority of inquisitive personnel which binds this spectrum together – the yearning for a great set of abdominals!

There are more people walking around the planet with excess body fat than there are with a great set of visible abdominals, which is obvious to onlookers should someone possessing them walks by – everyone shares a glance. It is a muscle that looks appealing on the opposite sex and it is something that people are extremely proud of should they possess their own. It’s almost impossible to over develop and distort this muscle as it can be as equally hard to obtain them. If it were that easy, believe me, many more people would be the rightful owner of a set.
Simplyshredded.com has caught up with Kane Sumabat, Controlled Labs most impressive sponsored athlete. Here he outlines his recommendations for you, in your quest to get an incredible six pack similar to those residing on a champion bodybuilder.

va.jpg

[h2]What are your diet philosophies?[/h2]
Let me first clarify what I consider strict and to me that simply means meeting my caloric and macro nutrient goals. Period. While I do eat smaller meals during the day, except for stabilizing blood sugar levels, I don’t believe doing so has any metabolic advantages. To be honest, nutrient timing isn’t that important to me. While what you eat before and after workouts can be advantageous, I don’t always feel it’s necessary.
[h2]Kane’s Ab Diet:[/h2]
Going against conventional wisdom, I rarely have anything to eat before my workout, except for 2 scoops of Oximega Greens. The most I’ve eaten before morning workouts was toast with PB or Nutella or 1 scoop of Muscle Milk. Here’s a sample menu for me:
  • 9:00: AM 2 scoops Oximega Greens upon waking
  • 9:30-11:00: workout (1 scoops Purple Wraath/ 1 scoop Purple Intrain during workout)
  • 11:30: Octopus sashimi (2 orders) with 6 pieces scallop sushi roll
  • 1:00: PM 1 scoop Chocolate Muscle Milk
  • 3:30: Kimchi flavored tuna in oil with toast
  • 5:30-6:30: second workout (1 scoop Purple Wrath/ 1 scoop Purple Intrain again)
  • 7:00: :nerd:z. Hero Certified Burger
  • 9:30: Korean bacon (9 strips that I wrap in lettuce to eat)
  • 10:30: 1 scoop Chocolate Muscle Milk
This was a relatively lower carb and lower calorie day. The totals were approximately: 2401 calories/ 102g fat/ 123g carbs and 213g protein. The following day included another :nerd:z. Hero Burger, 2 Eggo waffles, 2 maple dip donuts and the totals were 2646 calories/ 105g fat/ 233g carbs/ and 192g protein.

[h2]Do you ever allow yourself a cheat meal? If so, what is it that you crave?[/h2]
Yes I allow myself cheat meals. For me though, a cheat meal simply means I don’t count the calories and macros for that meal. Many for example may consider McDonald’s sausage and egg Mcgriddle a cheat meal. I don’t. Most times, that’s my post workout reward for myself after my leg workouts.
What I do crave the most is ice cream and chips. Together. Oh and also Pizza.

9133_162987825317_579795317_3305993_2854587_n.jpg

[h2]Is training and doing sit ups enough?[/h2]
Definitely not. At least from a bodybuilding stand point. Taken to an extreme, one can create a deficit through cardio alone. However, this approach can be catabolic or far from optimum for maintaining your lean mass, unless you’re a professional athlete who has the time to devote 6 hours of training per day. As for myself, I’ve experimented with training abs 3-4 times per week or 3-4 times per month.
While training 3-4 times per week, I did get stronger at those exercises, but I noticed no visual difference if not accompanied by the right diet.

30104_394650905317_579795317_4620314_3300641_n.jpg

[h2]What do you believe are the biggest mistakes people make when working their abs?[/h2]
Believing that exercises performed with high enough reps (which means very low intensity) will have the added benefit of burning enough calories. While again, taken to an extreme there is a sliver truth to this, it’s far from practical.
[h2]Kane’s AB routine[/h2]
Lately it’s been supersetting hanging leg raise with cable crunches. Usually its 10-12 reps of the hanging leg raise immediately followed by standing cable crunch twists, touching my right elbow to left knee and vice versa. I do anywhere from 3-5 cycles of this. Once in a while I do like to also throw in the ab wheel.
Where I superset straight legged rollouts with bent legged versions (on the knee), although the hanging leg raises have been quite an intense exercise to target the abs.

45050_425177070317_579795317_5433799_2669833_n.jpg

[h2]Is there one magic exercise that you think holds the secrets to great abdominals?[/h2]
Not really. Now, if I was trapped by a tribe of gorgeous but demented Amazonian women that for some reason would not permit me to do more than one ab exercise, then I would probably choose the straight legged hanging leg raise.

"This was a relatively lower carb and lower calorie day. The totals were approximately: 2401 calories/ 102g fat/ 123g carbs and 213g protein"

102g of fat???? Is that not a bad thing??

"This was a relatively lower carb and lower calorie day. The totals were approximately: 2401 calories/ 102g fat/ 123g carbs and 213g protein"

nope, your body burns the fat instead of carbs for energy

read up on keto diets

Damn, I never knew this Kane dude lived in Toronto...he's 42-years-old
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
...and he's also Filipino
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
(You dont see too many Filipinos this built...no offense).

Anyways, the guy does not advocate all-out bulking and emphasizes the importance of being consistent
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by SNEAKERKING757

^ "Abs are made in the kitchen."
Which is why I don't like eating at restaurants nowadays, because I like to know what I am putting into my food so it makes more sense what I get out of it. Plain and simple....I like cooking
Spoiler [+]
2l8knxt.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif

Okay... just some thinking.
With IF, the idea is to stay fasted for 16 hours and then consume (depending how you do it) all of your food post workout, to help have the nutrients utilized.
After eating food, you stay in an absorptive state for four hours, until you are put into a fasted state. During the fasted state your body utilizes stored fat for energy.

Would it ruin the entire process/concept if I consumed 1 scoop of ON whey twice during the fasted state? Each scoop is approx 120 cals, so it wouldn't take much to burn that off and get back to burning stored fat, and the protein could be utilized for muscle repair... am I wrong in thinking that?

I've also read that when you are in a fasted state anything you do consume is immediately absorbed and used... so doesn't it make perfect sense to have a scoop of whey after 8 hours fasting two times during the 16 hour fast?????

Typically I train in a fasted state (1 scoop of ON whey 15 mins prior)
EDIT: or even liquid egg whites because for same protein content, its 0g fat 0g carb as opposed to 1g fat 2g carb of ON Whey

Originally Posted by Money Making A

nope, your body burns the fat instead of carbs for energy

read up on keto diets
That isn't keto bud, keto is very low carbs high fats and average protein.

Starting GST monday, anyone running it?

Edit- yea but brett i read the article and the point of fasting at a certain time is to "unlock"(for a lack of a better work) this process(anabolic growth or something) that happens only when you enter that starving period(14+hour fast). Your body doesn't know what is protein/carbs/fats, it uses everything indiscriminately, so it will probably kick you out of that state, which takes a certain time period to be in.

IF seems ridiculous so hard to maintain and live like that seems so unnecessary. I guess maybe itd give results but what happens when you go back to a normal diet cuz clearly that way of eating at least for me couldn't last more then 3 months

Left the gym friday night from working my upper body and in sore which I know is natural how long should i wait before I go back to working my upper body in the mean time I will work out my lower body and do cardio

IF seems ridiculous so hard to maintain and live like that seems so unnecessary. I guess maybe itd give results but what happens when you go back to a normal diet cuz clearly that way of eating at least for me couldn't last more then 3 months

Originally Posted by ccobryan173

What is unnatural or unnecessary about it though?
Wake up, live life to the fullest without worrying about preparing/transporting/consuming enough meals to eat every 3 hours, get home after training and FEAST.

I honestly don't think I will go back to breakfast-lunch-dinner method, I like this better.

Originally Posted by ccobryan173

False. What's hard about waking up and walking out the door? Which is unnecessary: lugging around multiple tupperware containers of premade food or walking around with a bottle of water or cup of coffee/tea?
There are many cultures that don't even eat 3 square meals a day. Breakfast is a relatively new invention and from what I can tell, most people shouldn't be eating first thing in the morning anyway.

Brett knows what it's about
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom