Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

It has been generally said that if you want to get bigger, use high reps with low weight to induce hypertrophy. If you want to get stronger, use lower reps with high weight. Again this s just a very general idea and I know there are tons of factors.

As for form and weight, definitely start low weight to get the form down. Lifting low weight with perfect form>high weight with subpar form. Better form reduces your chance for injury, works our more muscles, and works out the muscles that should be used.

As for upright rows, I never use high weights. Always low weights and I've been fine. But yeah, upright rows are garbage for high weights because they do put too much stress on your rotator cuff.

Yeah I used to do upright rows - fast foward two years later it hurts when I do them. I'll try give it a go again.

But yeah i've just had good experience with power cleans, shrugs and maybe a shrug after at the top of the deadlift.

I would too also recommend starting strength 5x5. That is where I learnt my form in the squat and deadlift. Squatting/deadlifting like 2x a week adding each weight every workout, then regressing on a plateau
pimp.gif

The only thing was it didnt cater to my chest (weakest part of my body)

Are heavy squats (5x5 atg) a good leg workout? Like i CBF doing anything else lol, the only thing I want to try incorporate are Plyo's - which ive heard is also good to do at the end of the workout, so you have one full rest day until the next session.

^^ Try doing other squat variations as well. On my leg days, I do back squats (4x3, parallel), negative pistol squats (can't do them just yet), goblet squats and single leg deadlifts. It's always challenging but I've been getting stronger each time so I'm not complaining.

Originally Posted by Money Making A

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

Ok so i was at the gym
and i noticed that this bodybuilder looking dude lifts the same amount as me in like 3 diff. areas....

Now i am pretty big, but not bodybuilder big, more like college linebacker size. Do you think he was on roids?  How can some1 that much bigger than me have the same strength?
strength does not equal size
now you say that but 90 pct of the time when I see a dude in the gym, I can determine how many reps/weight he can do in upper body exercises. 
dude gotta be on steroids. 

one more things, saunas.  yay or nay?

im 5'9  and 185 , ive put on 15 pounds since a car accident i was in and have a weak shoulder, any tips on losing weight 

Originally Posted by HeyIPlayBBall

Originally Posted by Trelvis Tha Thrilla

Ok, so I was at 230 lbs. I lost a few pounds early on by accident basically. Wasnt trying to lose it, it just kind of happened because I was busy and what not. I decided since I had lost some I should keep it up. Well I am down to 190 now, which feels good, but I still want to get down to about 180. I hate working out so I lost all the weight by diet only basically. I do some pushups and situps but nothing that serious. I feel like losing this last 10 pounds has been more difficult though. Are there any exercises I can do at home that will help get this last 10 pounds off?
Cardio or high reps should help with your last 10 lbs. Once you get to a weight that's sufficient to your height, it'll be hard to lose anymore weight unless you completely stop the intake. What I would do is do as much walking or exercising as you can while stay on your diet. For example, when you're going grocery shopping. Park little further then usual so you can get some walking in. You can increase the intensity by carrying your groceries back to the car. I can't stand it when people go to the gym but try to find the nearest parking spot.

Thanks.

I think trying to isolate traps is a waste of time. As long as youre doing rows, lat pulldowns, and deadlifts theyre guaranteed to grow.

Had a great workout today, and had an insane pump going on... noticed a couple guys doing squats that kept staring at me. One of them was trying to teach the other how to do them and they were both failing hard so I walked over and asked if they minded me giving some advice, which they actually (kinda) listened to. Feels good man.

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

I think trying to isolate traps is a waste of time. As long as youre doing rows, lat pulldowns, and deadlifts theyre guaranteed to grow.

Had a great workout today, and had an insane pump going on... noticed a couple guys doing squats that kept staring at me. One of them was trying to teach the other how to do them and they were both failing hard so I walked over and asked if they minded me giving some advice, which they actually (kinda) listened to. Feels good man.

im never one to give advice in the weightroom. i always feel people will take it the wromg way.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Heavy shrugs = traps

I found that the Hex bar (aka TRAP bar) hit the traps better than using a regular barbell.

It's an effective substitute, behind DB shrugs -good piece of kit though, unfortunately we don't have one at my gym 
frown.gif

Speaking of which, to generate a bit of discussion...

My gym also doesn't have a seated calf raise machine. Really pisses me off as my calves respond like crazy when I have used them in the past. I compensate and sometimes do them with either DBs or the Smith bar rested on my knees, but it's not the same -doesn't give you the same stability. 

What equipment does your gym lack that you would like to use?

Gotta get back in shape 
30t6p3b.gif

Salad question: What's a good salad dressing that ISNT vinegar based? I can't take vinegar because it causes inflammation in my knee.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Gotta get back in shape 
30t6p3b.gif

Salad question: What's a good salad dressing that ISNT vinegar based? I can't take vinegar because it causes inflammation in my knee.

I always go with thai peanut, or some other asian dressing. Not nearly as healthy as any vin, but a good substitute. I also always assume that anything Asian is inherently healthier 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

Gotta get back in shape 
30t6p3b.gif

I always go with thai peanut, or some other asian dressing. Not nearly as healthy as any vin, but a good substitute. I also always assume that anything Asian is inherently healthier 
laugh.gif
Damn it, can't eat peanuts either
laugh.gif
...Along with SOOO many things. Taro, bamboo shoots, vinegar, beer, corn, duck, and much more
frown.gif

Please keep the suggestions coming, thanks!

Gotta get back in shape 
30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...Along with SOOO many things. , beer,
eek.gif

Originally Posted by VeintiSiete

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

im never one to give advice in the weightroom. i always feel people will take it the wromg way.
Ive had people give me advice before where it was a waste of my time and just pissed me off so I would never do it unless you could tell somebody realllllllly needed some pointers. They had there feet less than shoulder width apart, were quarter squatting, and rolling inwards on their feet as they went down without an arched back. Form was
sick.gif
They might think Im a douche, but hey I tried.
Originally Posted by FIREPOWER23

Speaking of which, to generate a bit of discussion...

My gym also doesn't have a seated calf raise machine. Really pisses me off as my calves respond like crazy when I have used them in the past. I compensate and sometimes do them with either DBs or the Smith bar rested on my knees, but it's not the same -doesn't give you the same stability. 

What equipment does your gym lack that you would like to use?
Seated calf raises are a bad idea anyway, theres a muscle (cant remember the name) that doesnt get worked unless youre standing because it isnt stretched out while you're seated.

Question about post-workout nutrition...

I eat a couple gummy bears after I workout as a form of simple carbs...mostly because I love gummy bears and wanted an excuse to eat them
laugh.gif

What do you guys use post workout for sugar? I was looking at actual glucose tabs that come in 5g servings but I don't know if that would be a bad idea. I have like $200 on my flex health card that I need gone before 2012 so I was thinkin about pickin these up at walgreens
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
...Along with SOOO many things. , beer,
eek.gif
I don't like beer at all
laugh.gif
, so it's not a loss to me. I only drink beer when I get drunk, taking friend's cup out of their hands...Otherwise, wouldn't pay attention to it.

Man I gotta start showering immediately after workouts. 
I go home, smoke a bowl, cook and eat dinner and watch an episode of 30 Rock usually..one side of my back has been breaking out probably from letting the sweat sink in. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Man I gotta start showering immediately after workouts. 
I go home, smoke a bowl, cook and eat dinner and watch an episode of 30 Rock usually..one side of my back has been breaking out probably from letting the sweat sink in. 
eyes.gif
sick.gif

I am looking to add 10 ibs of muscle this winter, over the course of 3 months. Around 3 ibs of muscle per month is a lofty goal, but I need the motivation.

As far as diet, should I mainly focus on the proteins?

As far as workouts, free weights are the way to go with gaining? Correct?

Yeah i've found a combo of power cleans, shurgs (DB, BB smith) and deadlifts really hit the traps. I don't isolate them, but id like to grow them lol.

Tried to dealift 230 5x5 like last week, but could only muster like 2 sets of 3 fml.. back gets too sore - any help?

Back
Top Bottom