Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Feelin' joocy today.

30vmyvo.jpg
how tall are you dude? phone lookin like an ipad
laugh.gif

and quit pullin ur pants down
sick.gif
sag a lil and ur v will show hah

Do you guys think drinking a Gatorade or powerade post workout provides the right kinds of sugar and carbs? I've een dointhis along with whey protein

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

OEP made me feel nice, although its very hard to eat on it.

EVERYBODY keeps saying this, but i legit dont feel ANYTHING, i wanna eat as much as i normal do
ohwell.gif

NT...ever since the beginning of this year I made it a goal for me to get a 6 pack by summer time. This goal was very unrealistic to me and my friends at the time.
When I made that "pact" to myself, I was 181 lbs, standing at 5'6.

January 17th, 181 lbs
5bsprb.jpg

June 7th 150 lbs

zbc1.jpg

My question to you guys is this..

How do I go about getting rid of the stubborn lower stomach fat? I'll admit, my upper body strength has increased dramatically since I started working out January, but I have seriously neglected my lower body strength. In January I couldn't even lift 135 lbs with proper form, but now I max 205 for one repetition on the barbel. Whereas my squat has only increased a couple of lbs. Should I do more lower body to get rid of the excess fat? And any tips on what I should do in order to get closer to the ever elusive goal of a six pack?

Originally Posted by miamin2

One of my ex's used to go to the equinox here in miami. I think she was paying over 100/mo but it was ridiculous how nice that place was. I took one of those free 1 week trials just to be wowed. I remember they had towels in a mini fridge that were cold cool, slightly damp and some minty smell 
laugh.gif

Down here you you shouldn't be paying more than 30/month at those LA's & 24s or even smaller gyms are about that price too

lol yeah they have chilled towels w eucalyptus in mini fridges ....def a must if ur trying to get bigseriously tho it's a great vibe..... real lighting no bright fluorescent bs, everything clean and new and where it should be, no gym weirdos, beautiful girls and milfs everywhereI mean all i need are weights I'm not one of those fruits who goes to my gym's zumba classes but a nice gym>>a "hardcore" one IMO

I just found out the Equinox in San Francisco is inside the old Pacific Stock Exchange building with the lockers literally inside the vault. Never heard of Equinox until it was mentioned in this thread. Id love to workout there but thats just way beyond my price range for what I usually do(weights,yoga,basketball) especially for a college student. Seeing thos pics on yelp is tempting as hell though.

@JohnnyRedStorm

Thanks! All the kind words I've received from people have greatly helped me motivate myself. I don't do many lower ab exercises. Hanging leg raises, exercise ball, and compound workouts. I try doing windshield wipers, but my core isn't strong enough to keep my legs straightened the entire time. Basically, my only ab exercises I do involve it being worked during my compound lifts and weighted ab crunches.

@mloonz88

From January till March...my diet looked something like this:

9a.m. Bowl of flavored oatmeal with a couple blueberries, strawberries etc... added in, a banana/apple/grape (one of the three), and 16oz. water. OR 3 eggs, a fruit, and a whole wheat english muffin (1 slice)
11:30a.m. Snack 16 oz. water. Snack would mostly be a nutrigrain bar, or a FiberONE bar. Alternating between that and ON Whey Protein shake.
2:30p.m. Late lunch consisting of: Asparagus/Avocado/Yam/Spinich with a baked :nerd:z salmon/baked chicken 1L of water
5p.m. Same snack during 11 a.m.
8:30p.m. - Something along the lines of my 2:30 lunch.

I ate around 1700-1900 cals a day, and would sometimes sub an extra protein shake or a protein bar for a meal if I couldn't make it. I am a student constantly on the go, so if I make something I typically have to make it the day before.

I focused mainly on cardio from January-March, so I "bought" Beachbody Insanity. It helped a lot, but I didn't really enjoy the repetitiveness of the program, and Tony from p90x is just a certified lame. Thankfully, my housemate is a gym rat, so I would tag along with him and he would demolish me when we worked out.

Thanks for the compliments guys

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Feelin' joocy today.
how tall are you dude? phone lookin like an ipad
laugh.gif

and quit pullin ur pants down
sick.gif
sag a lil and ur v will show hah
the jealousy couldnt be anymore more obvious 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheeQuickness

NICE PROGRESS!
That lower stomach fat is gonna be brutal and may take close to a year to make disappear. First fat on will be the last fat off. Sad, but true.
Your best bet now is to drop another 100-200 calories or nix all booze or just replace beer with Bacardi & Diet. That should help.

Also, start working on your core, and NOT just your abs. By creating mass in that area, it'll allow the fat to spread evenly and let you fill out a little more.

Higher reps and lower weights, and then throw in a couple days a month of low reps/high weight and an additional 300 calories just to keep things spicy.

If you decide to cut your caloric intake more, buy celery and buy in bulk. You'll poo a lot, but you can basically eat that %%!+ all day and not gain an ounce.

No, you don't burn calories eating it like you may have read/heard, but it's virtually harmless and will help your hunger pangs.

Really focus on your obliques. A 6-pack is just weird without solid obliques. Once you get that core in good shape, your life will change.

You'll realize how much work your core actually does throughout the day and how much easier everything is with a solid core.

Originally Posted by LBJ23navo

^you should do chest & tri's together and back & bi's together. Atleast that's what I do. 
I used to as well, but after all the arguments/debates/articles I've read, it really comes down to whatever 
you want to do and how much training you've done in the past. When first starting, absolutely chest/tri

split. Working chest/bi and then doing tris the next day after them getting worked the day before will only

cause more damage if you're just getting started. But if you've been lifting a while and you know how your

body recovers and you have some mass, go for the chest/bi split. 

My splits recently go like this:

Chest/Bi

Back

Delts/Tri

Legs

4 days of HEAVY lifting, three days rest/cardio

Modeled after Dorian Yates' Blood & Guts routine. Watch the videos.

When I first started:

Chest/Tri

Back/Bi/Forearms

Shoulders/Legs

Chest/Tri

Core only

With both routines core gets done about every other day, and cardio 4-%%* days a week.

Although truth be told, this last semester whooped my %%* and now I'm a flat slob again.

Now that I'm graduated, though
pimp.gif
and my job gets me a free Gold's membership
pimp.gif

Things are about to get srs.

Chest

Originally Posted by Teddythegr:nerd:ne

Anyone doing CrossFit? The MMA gym i'm at has it and so far I've done a couple days. Tips?
i think its great for overall health but my god those crossfit guys are such d-bags. it's like a cult. even the girls.
also you're not gonna get that big doing it.

also i would have some concerns about crossfit and joint wear and tear given their style of workouts. if you have knee problems or anything like that i'd be cautious.

shadykay- looking ripped dude!

Yo anyone can help me with the links i provided the previous page? I hardly got the time going to the gym on a consistent basis and i'm trying to get a nice,toned beach body for december, any help would be really great NT.

How do I go about getting rid of the stubborn lower stomach fat? I'll admit, my upper body strength has increased dramatically since I started working out January, but I have seriously neglected my lower body strength. In January I couldn't even lift 135 lbs with proper form, but now I max 205 for one repetition on the barbel. Whereas my squat has only increased a couple of lbs. Should I do more lower body to get rid of the excess fat? And any tips on what I should do in order to get closer to the ever elusive goal of a six pack?
nice

dont neglect your lower body

squats will strengthen your core. guys with ripped abs who dont even do a crunch. but if you like, hanging leg raises give a great burn, and when it gets easy you can stick a dumbell between your feet.

honestly am pissed right now because i cant do squats because of a hip injury and my upper body is so much bigger than my lower body

like srsly, im benching more than i squat LOLZ

i assume you are still gradually losing fat? youre doing great. no way to spot reduce, which has been said over and over. so when you stall, switch up your routine, adjust your caloric intake, and/or increase cardio.

your abs will come. first row appears(yes!), 2nd row (great feeling), then 3rd row. (AWWWWWW YEAHH)

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

nice

squats will strengthen your core. guys with ripped abs who dont even do a crunch. but if you like, hanging leg raises give a great burn, and when it gets easy you can stick a dumbell between your feet.

honestly am pissed right now because i cant do squats because of a hip injury and my upper body is so much bigger than my lower body

i assume you are still gradually losing fat? youre doing great. no way to spot reduce, which has been said over and over. so when you stall, switch up your routine, adjust your caloric intake, and/or increase cardio.

your abs will come. first row appears(yes!), 2nd row (great feeling), then 3rd row. (AWWWWWW YEAHH)
What he said, more or less.
I used to be really top heavy, and I basically reorganized my routine to take emphasis off of bench and on to deadlifts and squats. Doing more lower body exercises has done wonders for my abs even though I don't do any specific ab exercises at all anymore. 

Somewhat related: DL 355 3x5 yesterday.
pimp.gif
Personal best. 

Had my squat up around 275 3x5 but I wasn't happy with my form so I started back down at 245 3x5 last week. 

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

nice

I used to be really top heavy, and I basically reorganized my routine to take emphasis off of bench and on to deadlifts and squats. Doing more lower body exercises has done wonders for my abs even though I don't do any specific ab exercises at all anymore. 

pimp.gif
Personal best. 

Had my squat up around 275 3x5 but I wasn't happy with my form so I started back down at 245 3x5 last week. 
arent you like 6'4"? those are good #'s man, you have a way bigger ROM than a normal sized dude. 

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

nice

pimp.gif
Personal best. 

arent you like 6'4"? those are good #'s man, you have a way bigger ROM than a normal sized dude. 
Yeah, 6'4". Thanks bro. I sort of feel my grip failing though, as if I've reached its limits. I might have to look into straps or those blue plastic things. Thoughts?
I feel the ROM issue much more on pull-ups and push-ups than anything else. I literally can't do more than 6 solid pull-ups. 
embarassed.gif
 It might be that I'm using ROM as an excuse to tell myself that's how it's gonna be, but for whatever reason I've never really been able to many pull-ups/push-ups. 

If you workout on the regular and happen to get sick at some point over the course of the year, I'm 99% sure it's from germs at the gym. There are so many disgusting/trifiling #+! people in there.
30t6p3b.gif

Shadykay what are your 'goals'? Are you trying to build more muscle or just stay lean?

I wish I could stay lean while trying to put on muscle. I have the worst genetics.... 6 months of bulking and strength training and all I gained was puffy nipples and a belt of fat SMH

for those "cutting" I got a great response from a dude on bb.com
Here's the deal on why cardio is such an obsession now, there's several reason's. 1. Repetition. Most every popular bodybuilding and fitness book/article/site/mag advocates doing a bunch of cardio when cutting or losing fat. Eventually I think enough people just keep reading that and hearing it, that they decide its "required". 2. People don't really understand the Leg's affect on the entire body as far as fat loss is concerned. These are usually the same people that put off leg training entirely. Once you hit legs with maximum intensity, (with diet in check) you will definitely see fat loss. Compound lifts, heavy weight, and intense leg trainnig including your deads and squats are key in eliciting fat loss as well as just all around lean muscle maintenance and growth, regardless of your goal. I think heavy weight training is always superior during a cut than volume training. 3. People have no patience. If you add cardio in, yes, you will probably lose fat at a faster rate when coupled with your weights and diet. However, there are reasons not to do cardio if you don't have to . First off, it's pretty much unneccessary if your diet is rock solid, and you're doing hard heavy compound legs and fierce leg training. If you do this and have a good diet, you will see the lbs drop. It may not be incredibly quick poundage dropping off, but you can be assured that if its from 100 percent diet and weights, it's NOT going to be muscle. People that go overboard with lots of running and crazy cardio can totally overdo it and lose their muscle, which is the last thing you would ever want. Also, cardio can hinder your muscle recovery if you overdo (especially legs obviously). Finally, if you don't do alot of cardio, it's a great "trump card" to pull out if you plateau on your cut. So the best is to do the least amount of cardio (starting with none) then go until you hit a sticking point, then slowly add in cardio, only enough to breach that point. It's critical to make sure the diet component is solid. if its not then minimal sesssions (2-3 times per week tops) may help. 4. The final reason that some people do cardio, is that their bodytypes do not allow successful weight loss with out the aid of some cardio. That's dependant on your body though. And this is probably the most rare reason. I'd be willing to bet you most people who " cut" have never tried doing a pure heavy weight + diet alone cut, and if they do their diet probably isn't dialed in like it should be . A specific person I can actually show you that is an All natural pro bodybuilder who's won multiple competitions, who does ZERO cardio even when preparing for a show, is Aram hamparian. His website is mastover.comThats my 2 cents. And yes, running and cardio for cardiovascular health/endurance is a whole different story and is completely fine.1 drinking session a week probably won't do anything terribly noticeable, as long as the rest of your diet and training is like seriously rock solid for every other time in the week surrounding it. Unfortunately alcohol is the worst thing to "cheat" on though. A few quick things it does:-Alcohol is "empty cals" . There are no proteins carbs and fats to be utilized by your body, so pretty much all the calories are worthless and will be really really likely to be stored as fat.-Your liver can't really burn fat and alcohol at the same time, so as long as there's alcohol for it to take care of , it won't be doing fat. - Alcohol is horrible for testosterone levels in men, it really does drop it down pretty low. testosterone is one of your best friends when it comes to bodybuilding in general, its incredibly powerful for building muscle and helping with fat loss and all that good stuff. So you definitely want it around. I would just keep the drinking down as low as you really can. If you are gonna drink, make sure that you don't cure that hangover with a big fat bowl of ramen or moes southwest grill like I'm always tempted to do, that's how things to downhill, and thats how you ruin your week of progress.

I drink about 3-4x a year only 
laugh.gif

Maybe I am overdoing cardio, since that's all I ever do
ohwell.gif
, I notice I get tired rather quickly.

Another question: I have huge thighs, maybe from playing a lot of basketball (or maybe not), how do I make them smaller?
ohwell.gif

Back
Top Bottom