Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Cut out bread today too
tired.gif

Saw this &
laugh.gif
pimp.gif
. Thought I'd share
bfZ5M.jpg

i hate chicken, probably because im so picky with seasoning that i eat it plain or with BBQ sauce so it gets old REAL quick. would love to just eat chicken all day. low cals, lean as hell, and dat protein
pimp.gif

^Bread is heavily processed - its not exactly whole food.

Just like everything - once in a while it's not going to kill you. But if you are able to eliminate the majority of breads in your diet - then you should feel a bit leaner (depending on other diet factors).

I personally feel a lot more lean after switching to oats/weetbix.

I don't think I can completely give up bread, but i'm going to cut down on it. You guize are an inspiration!

As far as chicken goes...just learn some recipes and use it as a focal point in the dish.

I eat a lot of straight up chicken breast, potatoes, and veggies. I usually marinate it in a little bit of Italian dressing for 12-24 hours. When I season I use a little cajun spire, black pepper, and crushed red pepper fo' dat heat.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

i hate chicken, probably because im so picky with seasoning that i eat it plain or with BBQ sauce so it gets old REAL quick. would love to just eat chicken all day. low cals, lean as hell, and dat protein
pimp.gif

got this from mplsdunk on the cooking thread:
http://caribbeanpot.com/a-classic-jamaican-jerk-marinade/

i eat this with roasted yams  
pimp.gif

pimp.gif

pimp.gif

i'd use boned chicken, but if you want to be relatively healthy, use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  boneless, skinless chicken breasts get super dry.

Tried to do some sprints today.. %#*+ think ive got a bad hamstring, or either im not used to sprinting.

This is irritating.. I want to at least sprint once a week

Originally Posted by Caerus

Best Oatmeal to eat? Looking for the best complex carbs.

mccann's steel cut oats.  i'd recommend you get a programmable rice cooker (zojirushi) that you can set to have the oats ready when you wake in the morning.
otherwise, just get the quaker instant oats.  1.5 minutes in the microwave and you're good.

Oatmeal...Ick!
laugh.gif
It's a fixture in my eating, but I do not like. I'm at the point now that I shred it up in the blender and just throw some in a shake because the taste is just too bland.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Oatmeal...Ick!
laugh.gif
It's a fixture in my eating, but I do not like. I'm at the point now that I shred it up in the blender and just throw some in a shake because the taste is just too bland.

i hated it too.  i had to dump loads of brown sugar and cinnamon in to make it palatable, so that pretty much defeated the whole purpose of me eating oatmeal in the first place.  i eventually weaned myself from the sugar and now eat it plain.  obviously doesnt taste good, but i got used to it.

Originally Posted by cs02132

anybody here done couch to 5k
nerd.gif
starting on monday

u guys think its possible to drop 40 lbs by june 30? Sounds unlikely to me but im trying to make weight for a BJJ competition . 5'9 260 need to be 225 or under. my maintenance is around 3100-3300 im guessing but ill be eating around 2300-2700, bjj 3-4x a week and couch to 5k involves running intervals 3x a week. Lets see if i can do it!
I don't know what your lifestyle is, but considering you're doing BJJ, you're not a couch potato. 40lbs is going to be extremely difficult for you. It is possible but you'll be losing a lot of muscle. I don't know how much power is involve in BJJ (I'm assuming "enough" since muscles are always tensed), but you will lose a lot of it. The optimal # for losing weight is 1lb/week and you're about to cut 40lbs...think about it.

You should've thought about cutting down from January, not April. Having said all of that, you have to do a huge caloric deficit vs activity from NOW to cut 40lbs. You have to plan out everything: food, activity, sleep, etc.

I have done couch to 5k and have improved my 5k time. I did 7 weeks and made huge strides with my endurance.

Originally Posted by dharv

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

I alternate between upper body and lower body each day. Been doing this for about 4 years. Chest and arms on Monday and Friday, legs on Tues and Thursday, back muscles on Wednesday. I run at least 1/2 mile after stretching, and do abs everyday that I workout, mostly good old-fashioned situps. On Saturdays when I can, I run 1.5-3 miles and hit the stationary bike for 10-30 minutes, depending on how I feel. Sunday is pretty much always a rest day, unless I play basketball. I don't take supplements, I just focus on eating nutritious meals, and lots of fish. This pic was from February.
me.jpg

But when do you hit shoulders? I'm looking to build some muscle while lowering body fat. I'm thinking of swimming 3 days a week, while doing hiit the other 2 workout days. Eating healthy isn't an issue with me, it's knowing what split/s to do and how many calories to consume. Do you foresee me seeing drastic results within 4-6 months following your program? Suggestions are welcome. Thanks

dharv, I do shoulders with my back workout on Wednesday. I do shoulder shrugs (3 x 12), and military presses (3 x 12) On chest day, I sometimes do upright rows (3 x 12), which also works shoulders. I don't really look at my calorie intake too much, I just try to watch cholesterol, for other reasons. I'd say if you stay consistent, you should definitely get good results within that time period. I remember when I started hitting it hard during summer about 5 years ago, I got pretty good results after about 2 1/2 months. Just takes time and patience
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Based Mod

Originally Posted by IJUMPMAN

I alternate between upper body and lower body each day. Been doing this for about 4 years. Chest and arms on Monday and Friday, legs on Tues and Thursday, back muscles on Wednesday. I run at least 1/2 mile after stretching, and do abs everyday that I workout, mostly good old-fashioned situps. On Saturdays when I can, I run 1.5-3 miles and hit the stationary bike for 10-30 minutes, depending on how I feel. Sunday is pretty much always a rest day, unless I play basketball. I don't take supplements, I just focus on eating nutritious meals, and lots of fish. This pic was from February.

i aint eem gon lie, i'm jelly.  i used to lift 5 days/week but wasn't seeing a whole lot of progress in terms of physical appearance (strength definitely gone up), but i've read that i might be overdoing it and went to a 3 day/week split.  now i'm conflicted
frown.gif

what's your average day look like in terms of food?
Honestly, other than lunch my meals are quite sporadic. I don't really have time to do the 6 meals a day (which I think is stupid except for body builders), and I usually skip on breakfast. Occasionally, I'll have a cup of yogurt in the morning. For lunch I usually eat a small meal, like lean cuisine, and some fruit. Around 5:30 or so I'll go to Subway, or get a shrimp Po-Boy from Popeyes (protein, but all fried lol). If I don't have much time, I'll eat some oatmeal and an apple. After the gym, I'll usually eat tilapia, pasta and salad if I cook. When I don't care, I'll get a burger or something. Either way, my after-workout meal is usually my largest. As you can see, it's nothing too disciplined as far as calories and whatnot, I just make sure that my body gets the essentials to keep me going. As long as I get enough protein and vitamins, I'm happy. I just try to avoid high sodium and cholesterol foods.

Originally Posted by Caerus

Best Oatmeal to eat? Looking for the best complex carbs.

I use Coach's Oats (steel cut) from Costco.

1/3 cup of oats (one serving) & 1 cup water for 2:30 in the microwave, add a lil milk, and a 1/2 scoop of vanilla ice cream whey protein.

That and 2-3 hard boiled eggs (1 yolk) is how I generally start my day. Equals roughly 400 cals & 30-35 grams of protein.

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by cs02132

anybody here done couch to 5k
nerd.gif
starting on monday

u guys think its possible to drop 40 lbs by june 30? Sounds unlikely to me but im trying to make weight for a BJJ competition . 5'9 260 need to be 225 or under. my maintenance is around 3100-3300 im guessing but ill be eating around 2300-2700, bjj 3-4x a week and couch to 5k involves running intervals 3x a week. Lets see if i can do it!
I don't know what your lifestyle is, but considering you're doing BJJ, you're not a couch potato. 40lbs is going to be extremely difficult for you. It is possible but you'll be losing a lot of muscle. I don't know how much power is involve in BJJ (I'm assuming "enough" since muscles are always tensed), but you will lose a lot of it. The optimal # for losing weight is 1lb/week and you're about to cut 40lbs...think about it.

You should've thought about cutting down from January, not April. Having said all of that, you have to do a huge caloric deficit vs activity from NOW to cut 40lbs. You have to plan out everything: food, activity, sleep, etc.

I have done couch to 5k and have improved my 5k time. I did 7 weeks and made huge strides with my endurance.
thx, yea i'm not planning on making the weight just hoping i can. Havent been doing bjj as much as id like but id say im not a TOTAL couch potato
laugh.gif
, got an easy 80 possibly 100 lbs to lose
embarassed.gif

I can only run for about 5-6 min at 6 mph now so im going to enjoy couch to 5k. Cant wait to start running outside
pimp.gif

i like oatmeal with yogurt mixed in. if im feeling randy ill put some maple syrup in too

For those of you who drink protein shakes, do you do so pre or post workout?

I am a skinny guy looking to gain weight, if that matters. 

I just started doing Crossfit (got in on a living social deal) and I really enjoy the classes. I definetely see how crossfitters can get really elitist when it comes to Crossfit vs. regular gym.

TXCaddy^  I drink one directly after working out and then another one right before bed.
Anyway, here is a good article "The Simple Diet": http://www.t-nation.com/f...t_recent/the_simple_diet

I am not necessarily trying to lose weight but, I am also not trying to gain any junk weight either. So, I will adjust this program accordingly. 

But, I think this does a good job at balancing a diet with the other things of the real world. For those not looking to go "extreme".

Also, anyone else find it hard to cook for just yourself? When making things like rice do y'all just measure out a serving size? I wish rice didn't take so long.

I also need a "dummys guide to fish"...

I'm hearing start out with something like Talapia? 

Back
Top Bottom