Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Cronicmolemolereturns

his meal plan Meal 1 0830: 25g whey shake

Meal 2 1030: 42g new whey liquid protein

Meal 3 1230: Grilled chicken salad with 2 oat rolls

Meal 4 1500: Protein bar

Meal 5 1900: PWO shake 50g whey protein, 30g waxy maize starch

Meal 6 2000: Grilled chicken breast or any other lean meat really, sauteed broccoli, baked potato/oats/rice

Meal 7 2200: 25g whey shake

Meal 8 2400: 25g whey shake (only if I’m starving on a carb depleted week or if I didn’t meet my protein goals for the whole day)

I should mention this diet above was my cut diet. Maintenance would probably have twice the carbs and a little more fats. I like to snack on rice cakes, peanut butter, almonds, apples, and strawberries. I will eat or drink some snacks/sweets here and there when I can fit them in.

Aside from the protein shakes/bar, the 2 solid meals fluctuate depending on what I’m doing diet wise. If I’m on a cut I will budget my carbs accordingly to meet my end goal numbers, if I’m in an offseason mode I will fit in regular food from time to time (burgers, pizza, sandwiches, etc.) and not worry about it as long as its not a daily thing. If I’m on a diet though for a specific goal it’s all lean meats, green veggies, and the right amount of carbs for where I am in the diet. Last week of dieting carbs are tapered off (ie 150g monday, 130g tues, 120g wed, etc. etc.). I base these carb numbers off how I look in the mirror. If I’m still soft I’ll drop the carbs more, if I’m looking good I’ll keep more carbs in. Protein is the only set number in my diet regardless of what I’m doing. These days I’ve found that 280-320g of protein is ideal for me. Carbs and fats are totally dependent on the situation.

Bottom line for dieting is meeting your macro goals for the day. If you need to eat 2400 calories and 250p/200c/and 60f a day for your diet, your body doesn’t really care how it gets them, as long as it gets them. If you eat lots of sugars and fats you will reach your goal numbers too soon in the day and will find yourself starving. That’s why when you diet, you typically want to eat complex carbs because they take longer to digest and will keep you feeling fuller longer. But, if you want to fit in a slice of pizza, and it doesn’t screw up your numbers for the day, then by all means eat it. This will keep you sane while dieting because it can really become a blur after a while when you only eat boring foods.

This is late but I REALLY want to know his "bulk" diet

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

wawaweewa wrote:

Originally Posted by DaBuddhaWitJays

attachment.php

posted awhile back in the previous thread i think.... but dude does squats with no weight... (which is news to me)

no dls. not a proponent of creatine either...

any truth to the 1st part of his statement...?
I dont do complete squats with weights, as they destroy the menisci in the knees, i only do complete squats without weight. If I wanted to be an olympic weight lifter, I would need to do them. with this example, i wish to show you that in sport there are things that are bad for your health, which should be avoided unless you want to reach the peak of said sport. If you are currently taking creatine, my only advice is to stay away unless its necessary for competition etc.
anyway did the 10x10 squat workout by ice1cube posted earlier in thread. greatttt workout today

and i think my testis are healing up. lol. (which i messed up somehow, someway)
There is truth to his statement. If one is training solely for aesthetic purposes than doing heavy squats is  not only a waste of time but  a detriment to that goal (higher chance of sustaining injuries and wear on the joint(s) ). Heavy squats over a long period of time do take a toll on your knees.

Does anyone have a copy of this workout that Ice Cube posted?

Durden or anyone else, what do you think about the squating with no weight approach

Depends on your goals.  Squatting with no weight would definitely be safe for your knees/back in the long run, but there's only so much you can do with bodyweight squats.  If your goal is just to tone and gain endurance, then they're fine.  But once you get past 12+ reps, you're out of the hypertrophy range, and way out of the strength range.  So if your goal is to gain strength or athleticism, or if your goal is to increase muscle size in your legs, then you're kind of limited if you just stick to bodyweight.

This is basically what I am currently doing from a lifting perspective:

Supersetting the following:

Day1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps (Sometimes do tri-sets)
Day 3: Legs
Repeat
Rest Day

Is this effective/efficient? I like supersetting because it keeps me more active throughout the lift, keeps the heart rate up.

Appreciate the feedback

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Does anyone have a copy of this workout that Ice Cube posted?
Durden or anyone else, what do you think about the squating with no weight approach
Depends on your goals.  Squatting with no weight would definitely be safe for your knees/back in the long run, but there's only so much you can do with bodyweight squats.  If your goal is just to tone and gain endurance, then they're fine.  But once you get past 12+ reps, you're out of the hypertrophy range, and way out of the strength range.  So if your goal is to gain strength or athleticism, or if your goal is to increase muscle size in your legs, then you're kind of limited if you just stick to bodyweight.

I agree. There is a certain limit that makes it hard to add resistance to bodyweight movements without adding weight. But instead of doing regular squats, there are pistol (one legged) squats. There are also plyometric moves like jump squats. After a while of progressing with regular squats, or even pistol squats, maybe you'd like to give plyometric versions a shot(not you chewtoy, but anyone trying to train with bodyweight only). Sprinting, lunges, etc. work the legs well too. I would say that deadlifting is important in athletic ability. Allows individuals to increase strength throughout their entire body dramatically.

PS, what's up with the lack of real food in that diet posted above?

Oh, and here's a link to a post by Martin of LeanGains: http://fitnessblackbook.c...h-your-fat-loss-plateau/

Read that article yesterday neal, put some things in perspective for me...But he says he doesn't believe in whey protein shakes in the article but on the leangains site he list whey protien as one of the best supplements. Sometimes I think Rusty and the other dudes he puts on his site are partially b.s. Still some good info but...

hey guys does having a bent arm effect the way i exercise? will it also effect on my gains as well? my doctor reduced it during surgery but i feel like he only reduced about 80 percent of it.

heres how it was before surgery
26176_111516115538886_100000414949591_172770_3618386_n.jpg

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Read that article yesterday neal, put some things in perspective for me...But he says he doesn't believe in whey protein shakes in the article but on the leangains site he list whey protien as one of the best supplements. Sometimes I think Rusty and the other dudes he puts on his site are partially b.s. Still some good info but...
I agree. I take what they say with a grain of salt. I haven't really been listening to Rusty much. His site is getting kind of repetitive and boring for me. Updates are getting far and few between. Lately I've just been browsing the LeanGains site and The Lean Saloon. 
The thing with whey is that sure, Martin doesn't recommend them, but people that don't get enough protein through diet should supplement it. He's basically saying that if you need to supplement protein, take it, but otherwise try to focus on whole foods.

The article is good overall and can help people by setting simple guidelines that have worked for him. He's got quite a few clients and I think that he's got a decent amount of experience to give his advice. He's basically saying what has worked for him and his clients. He doesn't give out much info on specifics though because he's saving that for clients and his book. I wish he'd drop his book that he's been talking about.

Just came back from a Body Fat % test and found out I'm at 7 % (technically 6.8 something)
My goal was about 5% but according to the chart that's too low/ unhealthy but to be honest I still feel like there's more definition to be had
Should I continue on my path?
Cut back on cardio?
Go heavier on weights?

Need some advice NT. I have both P90x and Insanity. I'm about 5'7 and 180. I've probably gained 20lbs or so since the summer. I played college hoops my freshman year and since then been virtually inactive. I'm trying to lose weight and get back in great shape. I'm changing up my diet and would like to get lean. I do have asthma and I've tried Insanity the past 2 days and can barely get past the warmups without being exhausted. I hear you have to be in insane shape to even start Insanity. Therefore, my question is which should I do? Should I do P90x to help get me back into shape and then take on Insanity once I graduate from P90x? I'm looking to cut body fat and just get in great shape.

Being is that I think I'm in horrible shape, which do you fitness gurus recommend I do? I like the thought of getting in great cardio shape through Insanity but I don't know if I should push through. On the other hand, I hear P90x helps get you in solid cardio shape as well, which I could then do Insanity afterward? As I mentioned, I've been inactive and can barely get through the Insanity workouts.

Alternatively, do you think I should go running for a few days prior to try to get my lungs used to all the cardio again before starting either?

Thanks for the advice and I'm looking forward to becoming a reg in this thread.

Squatting is NOT bad for your knees!!! Squatting with improper form and/or too much weight (more than you can safely handle) is bad for your knees, as well as your lower back, hips, ankles, spine, shoudlers, etc... Any exercise can be potentially dangerous, including the leg press, leg extension, leg curl, etc... so sticking to machines doesn't mean you're safer, it means you're probably reinforcing improper movement patterns which can eventually lead to injury and will also lead to very minimal results.

That said, some people just shouldn't squat if they've dealt with serious lower back or knee injuries, but most people with a knee injury have rehabed it to some extent with a variety of exercises including squats.

Originally Posted by Regal Black

anyway to get rid of belly fat? What stomach workouts would be best.
based from experience, HIIT is best for losing belly fat. ive been on hiit for 2 months and can see results.

Originally Posted by carmelocu

based from experience, HIIT is best for losing belly fat. ive been on hiit for 2 months and can see results.

never heard of that.  what's your HIIT workout like?

Originally Posted by Fade On You

eek.gif
Yo what the %*+% happened to your arm?

want x-rays?

it happened on six flags the nitro ride. i guess i gripped too hard on the first plunge. btw this is the second time i broke it and second surgery..... freaking sucks now cause i cant workout AGAIN

Originally Posted by RKO2004

also would like to know your HIIT workout.

another thing, these cardio machines in the gym, are they any good or is it just better to stick to the track and run miles and do sprints?

my friend told me do the stair-master 15 min a day at level 10-12 and this should cut the fat dramatically. what is you guys input on this theory?

currently im roughly 5 11 180lbs lookin to lower my body fat % to get to a leaner basketball build, if you can dig it.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by topherr

I can co-sign about HIIT. Been doing it for a bout a month and getting alot of compliments.
I downloaded a video set called "Insanity"... hard 20-30 minute workout per day but its ##+**+@ hard but def paying off
pimp.gif

It's interval training, but instead of rest rest hard rest rest, its hard hard rest hard hard

Back
Top Bottom