Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Today's diet:

-500ml milk (homogeneous) + 1cup oats + 1 scoop whey
-2 large chicken breast
-1 costco double choco muffin (about 700 cals)
-2 cheeseburgers with whole wheat buns
-2 xl coffee throughout the day
-3L milk throughout the day

Eating whole foods rules. Uh..I like haven't even finished my ON whey in like..3 months.

And I look like..totally look huge. YES! Only use one scoop after workouts now.

Best decision ever.

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Today's diet:

-2 large chicken breast
-1 costco double choco muffin (about 700 cals)
-2 cheeseburgers with whole wheat buns
-2 xl coffee throughout the day
-3L milk throughout the day

From your diet I can tell 2 things:

1. You're trying to add mass
2. You are NOT lactose intolerant.  Sweet Jeebus, that diet would have me in cramps.

bretts trying to make up for the supplements he didn't use the other month
laugh.gif

It also, appears that I am not concerned about a clean bulk
roll.gif

At this point... for the next two months anyways, I'm just trying to add as much as I can. I don't mind being hungry and doing cardio till I puke everyday for a month :tongue:

but as far as supplements go... WOW. hombrelobo you're right. One scoop after a workout with oats (as opposed to dextrose, because of all the fiber etc) and that's it!
I was doing CLA, L-Clutamine, L-Arganine, Creatine, Beta-Alnine.... anything that ended in 'ine' haha.
Since I stopped using all that !+$! I haven't noticed any more fatigue or any less muscle growth...

Which is good because with the money I save I can buy some larger clothes
pimp.gif

Crotch split in my Nudies today... I've worn them everyday for 8 months and they STRETCH. I can assume my legs have increased in size

Damn that diet is crazy. I can't even imagine going through all that food.
Suggestion are welcomed re. my workout. I'm pretty content on my size, looking to get lean/tone.

Today's Workout

Incline -     Curls
90 x 30 +   20 x 30 = 1 set
110 x 25 + 25 x 25 = 2 set
120 x 20 + 30 x 20 = 3 set
90 x 30 +   20 x 30 = 4 set

Decline -    Hammer Curls
110 x 30 + 20 x 30 = 1 set
130 x 25 + 25 x 25 = 2 set
140 x 20 + 30 x 20 = 3 set
90 x 30 +   20 x 20 = 4 set

Pec Dec -   Barbell Curls
90 x 30 +   30 x 30 = 1 set
100 x 25 + 40 x 25 = 2 set
110 x 20 + 50 x 15 = 3 set
70 x 30 +   30 x 20 = 4 set

Incline (Cables)
60 x 30
80 x 20
90 x 15

Diet
Breakfast
4 eggs, 1 whole with 3 whites with turkey bacon and cheese in a whole wheat wrap.
8 ounce orange juice and bottle water.

Lunch:
Turkey burger with cheese on whole wheat bread and bottle water

Snack:
Muscle Milk (Yes I know people are against this but I still have a crap load from when I got them free a couple months back)

Dinner:
Grilled chicken breast with bowl of salad (Balsamic vinegar)
Bottle water.

Was out of the gym for a week. Pulled something in my back/neck. First days getting back into a routine is tough. Good looking girls in the gym was a nice welcome back tho.

Ran 10 miles today. Got a half marathon on saturday.Reading this thread makes me think i rely toomuch on cardio nowadays. I dropped 20+ lbslast yr and kinda got "addicted" to running. I stilldo pushups. Never been a big fan of weights tho.Not tryna bulk up just be cut.

Today, I ran back and forth to the bathroom 19 times. My house is small but there's a lot of things in the way between my couch and the bathroom. Kinda feel good bout that
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Me4u2Night

Damn that diet is crazy. I can't even imagine going through all that food.
Suggestion are welcomed re. my workout. I'm pretty content on my size, looking to get lean/tone.

Today's Workout

Incline -     Curls
90 x 30 +   20 x 30 = 1 set
110 x 25 + 25 x 25 = 2 set
120 x 20 + 30 x 20 = 3 set
90 x 30 +   20 x 30 = 4 set

Decline -    Hammer Curls
110 x 30 + 20 x 30 = 1 set
130 x 25 + 25 x 25 = 2 set
140 x 20 + 30 x 20 = 3 set
90 x 30 +   20 x 20 = 4 set

Pec Dec -   Barbell Curls
90 x 30 +   30 x 30 = 1 set
100 x 25 + 40 x 25 = 2 set
110 x 20 + 50 x 15 = 3 set
70 x 30 +   30 x 20 = 4 set

Incline (Cables)
60 x 30
80 x 20
90 x 15

Diet
Breakfast
4 eggs, 1 whole with 3 whites with turkey bacon and cheese in a whole wheat wrap.
8 ounce orange juice and bottle water.

Lunch:
Turkey burger with cheese on whole wheat bread and bottle water

Snack:
Muscle Milk (Yes I know people are against this but I still have a crap load from when I got them free a couple months back)

Dinner:
Grilled chicken breast with bowl of salad (Balsamic vinegar)
Bottle water.

In understand how people get caught in the mindset of "high reps = lean and toned, heavy weight = bulk and mass" but that's not necessarily true and doing all your compound lifts in a 25-30 rep range makes it relatively pointless to do all those different exercises.  You could literally just stand in your apartment with a pair of 15 lb dumbbells and try to do 300 pushups and 300 curls/hammer curls in under 20 minutes and get a more effective workout than that.  If you're trying to lean out, continue supersetting, but add an abdominal exercise in after each bicep exercise and keep your weights on the chest stuff heavy enough that you can only do 10-15 reps before reaching failure.  Only do that super high rep stuff on the pec-dec and cable flyes.  Do dips instead of decline bench (recruits more stabilizers and core muscles) and shorten your rest periods to like 30 seconds to 1 minute between circuits and try to get it knocked out as quick as you can, then do some cardio for 20-30 minutes and get out of the gym.  Your diet isn't bad just need 1 more small meal, like some cottage cheese and fruit about 2 hours before you hit the sack, and cut down on the cheese, add some avocado to that turkey burger and a spinach salad on the side, and use regular turkey in that breakfast wrap instead of turkey bacon (ton of sodium and not much leaner than regular bacon, unless you're comparing a 10 strip serving). 

Couple posts up: Ryan Leslie -- good job
SCOTTY PIMPIN: Following brettthejet's diet?  Less milk and you shouldn't have to run back and forth to the bathroom so much. 

I have become a big proponent of supersetting and will switch up the muscle groups after I get back from vacation on the 21st.

I have started doing drop sets to finish off my workouts, usually using cable machines or pec decs.

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

This is what happens when a subculture grows into a culture, other subcultures start forming and then crossfit geeks in vibram five-fingers start talking about their workouts like they're preaching gospel, saying there's only one way to train and only one reason to work out and lift weights and that curls are useless, etc... If you're not a bodybuilder and you don't care about how your muscles look from one bodypart to the other, you just want functional strength and athleticism, you probably don't need to bother doing bicep curls.

And yeah, I know what you mean about guys hitting the gym 4 days a week and doing smith machine bench presses and bicep curls EVERY day and nothing else, but that's not me. Just happened to be a day I was training bi's and tri's.

laugh.gif
.. they have taken over your city too?

Can anyone recommend good superset workout routines? Or a compound workout? I'm tired of the isolation workouts and needto go a lil heavier with less exercises to do.

Laced up, I am currently lifting 6 days a week, supersetting:

Day 1: Chest/Back
Day 2: Shoudlers/Bi's/Tri's
Dat 3: Legs
Repeat

I vary excercises, weights, reps. One week I may go heavy and pyramid up in weight from 6-12. Another week I may go light and pyramid down from 15-10.

An example of something I do would be incline bench press into dumbell rows. I never really go into the gym with exercises in mind but rather what muslce groups I want to work with what machines, weights, benches are available.

Laced: what i do for chest is GSP's workout and his ab workouts, it's been posted. I'm seeing great results, plus it's cut my workout time at least 10minutes.

Originally Posted by Ndizzle23

Originally Posted by PanaRicanRetro

This is what happens when a subculture grows into a culture, other subcultures start forming and then crossfit geeks in vibram five-fingers start talking about their workouts like they're preaching gospel, saying there's only one way to train and only one reason to work out and lift weights and that curls are useless, etc... If you're not a bodybuilder and you don't care about how your muscles look from one bodypart to the other, you just want functional strength and athleticism, you probably don't need to bother doing bicep curls.

And yeah, I know what you mean about guys hitting the gym 4 days a week and doing smith machine bench presses and bicep curls EVERY day and nothing else, but that's not me. Just happened to be a day I was training bi's and tri's.

laugh.gif
.. they have taken over your city too?

Mine too. Those guys are dorks
laugh.gif

Curious...

If an individual wants to grow larger muscles SPECIFICALLY in one area i.e. pectoral, would it make sense to ONLY work those muscles on a specific day?

muscles grow by consuming the proteins, nutrients, vitamins, etc to help grow, therefore if your pecs are the only muscles that require repair, they will grow faster?

I'm basically comfortable with all of my muscle development but I have only just begun to grow pectoral muscles and my body looks so weird.

I tried squatting with just socks on couple days ago. I COULD NOT SQUAT the weight I usually do with shoes..

Originally Posted by gatorad3

I tried squatting with just socks on couple days ago. I COULD NOT SQUAT the weight I usually do with shoes..
You're not as stable with the weight. I don't like to squat with traditional shoes on. It's either barefoot or with vibrams on for me. Don't worry about it though. Your stabilizer muscles just need some strengthening. Better that than to fall with a heavy weight on your back, right?

PanaRicanRetro wrote:
In understand how people get caught in the mindset of "high reps = lean and toned, heavy weight = bulk and mass" but that's not necessarily true and doing all your compound lifts in a 25-30 rep range makes it relatively pointless to do all those different exercises.  You could literally just stand in your apartment with a pair of 15 lb dumbbells and try to do 300 pushups and 300 curls/hammer curls in under 20 minutes and get a more effective workout than that.  If you're trying to lean out, continue supersetting, but add an abdominal exercise in after each bicep exercise and keep your weights on the chest stuff heavy enough that you can only do 10-15 reps before reaching failure.  Only do that super high rep stuff on the pec-dec and cable flyes.  Do dips instead of decline bench (recruits more stabilizers and core muscles) and shorten your rest periods to like 30 seconds to 1 minute between circuits and try to get it knocked out as quick as you can, then do some cardio for 20-30 minutes and get out of the gym.  Your diet isn't bad just need 1 more small meal, like some cottage cheese and fruit about 2 hours before you hit the sack, and cut down on the cheese, add some avocado to that turkey burger and a spinach salad on the side, and use regular turkey in that breakfast wrap instead of turkey bacon (ton of sodium and not much leaner than regular bacon, unless you're comparing a 10 strip serving). 

Couple posts up: Ryan Leslie -- good job
SCOTTY PIMPIN: Following brettthejet's diet?  Less milk and you shouldn't have to run back and forth to the bathroom so much. 

Thanks for the advice. I think I will actually switch my routine to 10-15 towards the end of the month.
I've work with this routine in the past with great results. 

I normally do abs on a the same day I work out legs, but I think I'll start adding it to each set.

My cardio is on point. I run anywhere from 3-10 miles during the week (3 times a week)

Todays Workout

Warmup

10 Pullups + 10 Dips - 3 sets

Eagle Row (Single) + Single Arm Tri-Pulldowns

90 x 30              +       25 x 30    = 1 set

110 x 25            +       27.5 x 25 = 2 set

120 x 20            +       30 x 20    = 3 set

Iso Lat Low Row +   Tricep Kickback (Cables)

90 x 30                 +    20 x 35 = 1 set

110 x 25               +    25 x 30  = 2 set

140 x 20               +    30 x 20  = 3 set

Lat Pulldown        +    One arm Cable Extensions

100 x 30               +     20 x 30 = 1 set

120 x 25                +    25 x 25 = 2 set

140 x 20                +     30 x 12 = 3 set

Back Extensions

140 x 30

155 x 25

170 x 20

Diet sucked today. Didn't eat enough.

Lunch - Beef burger with cheese (yes, cheese is my achilles heel) on whole wheat sandwich thin, bottle of water

Early dinner - Beef Burger with cheese on whole wheat sandwich thins, bottle of water

Snack - Organic peanut butter with sugar free jelly on whole wheat sandwich thin, bottle of water

Originally Posted by blue23jordan

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Originally Posted by blue23jordan

Is it weird that i consume nearly 4,000 calories a day with hardly any excercise yet i struggle to keep weight on? I'm 6'0 140 lbs by the way. Any help/tips to gain 30lbs?

Edit:  by 30lbs i mean muscle and not fat.
are you sure you are consuming 4000 cals a day EVERY DAY? Often, a weekend of below maintenance will ruin any lbs I gain that week.
Yea I don't believe you're eating 4,000 calories a day. Please post your meal plan as I would like to see what you're eating.
30lbs of muscle will take you years to put on. You have quite a road ahead of you.

I don't have an actual meal plan but i did do a project calculating all the calories a day i eat for two weeks and the average amount turned out to be 4,080 calories.
I eat a lot of fast food sometimes with out trying and a lot of cheese. A lot of cheese like a lot of mozerrella sticks and really a lot
of grilled cheese sandwiches but that still doesn't define all that i eat.  
& now that it's summer with no school for now, i eat almost every hour or visit my fridge every hour or so.
and i started working out for a week before i posted in here and i've gained 3lbs
tongue.gif

roll.gif

although that really doesn't mean anything since my weight changes a lot throughout the day. I can weigh 138 when i wake up and then 145 by noon/mid-day and then 142 by night.
You're not going to put on 30lbs of muscle eating that.
Averaging 4,080 calories in 2 weeks doesn't really mean you're eating that in a day.

Start eating meats, veggies, fiber to get your weigh up.

The average per day was that. the lowest i would get to was about 3,720 and some of the higher days were nearly 4,500.

So, being bored to tears the last couple of shifts at work, I actually sat down and looked at my average diet.  Needless to say, it was no wonder why I was going nowhere fast.  If you haven't actually looked at your total calories/macros for meals in a day, I HIGHLY suggest you do.  You WILL be surprised at what you learn.

That being said, I've also adjusted my diet to reach my immediate goal of visible abs.  I'll post it for critique and comment when I wake up and am actually coherent again. 
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom