Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by rhester

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

When I do overhead press (standing) I feel as if my spine is about to fold. I'm able to put up more weight than my spine is allowing me to. I understand this issue pertains to my 'core' being weak...

What can i do to really strengthen my core as efficiently as possible?
I have the exact same problem, today was my heavy day and after I finished my sets I had pain in my back. I'm going to to start doing it seated on the adjustable bench with the back straight up.
I think that will help, I feel like I'm cheating myself sometimes towards the end of my sets when I start "feeling" it, I tend to arch my back to help...
We'll see... (I do dumbell btw)
I recently went to a chiropractor who told me that I needed to strengthen my core to ease the tension I get in my  back. He said to focus on exercises that isolate my back and to build up my abs.  He also mentioned that my core affected my posture and that building my core would help correct it.

Originally Posted by moundraised23

Quick question: does workin out in the day or late night make a difference?
My work schedule changed and it basically threw me off my whole regimine.
I haven't been 2 the gym in about a month and feenin 2 get back in. I used 2 go 2 the Y when I got off @ like 4, but now I don't get off til later and we have a 24 gym round the corner

Nope...only thing that matters is getting it done

Originally Posted by digital022

When I do overhead press (standing) I feel as if my spine is about to fold. I'm able to put up more weight than my spine is allowing me to. I understand this issue pertains to my 'core' being weak...

I have the exact same problem, today was my heavy day and after I finished my sets I had pain in my back. I'm going to to start doing it seated on the adjustable bench with the back straight up.
I think that will help, I feel like I'm cheating myself sometimes towards the end of my sets when I start "feeling" it, I tend to arch my back to help...
I recently went to a chiropractor who told me that I needed to strengthen my core to ease the tension I get in my  back. He said to focus on exercises that isolate my back and to build up my abs.  He also mentioned that my core affected my posture and that building my core would help correct it.
To those in the above quote pyramid, you need to focus on TVA/internal oblique exercises, which will stabilize the spine (not crunches, back extensions, etc).  Also, your main focus on any higher risk exercise (squat, deadlift, standing presses), should be to contract your TVA's throughout the whole exercise before you even begin to think about lifting the weight.

So I started to really workout around the end of May, so it's been about 3 weeks. I went from 151 to 157-158 (fluctuates a lot, sometimes even up to 160 when I just ate). I upped my caloric intake to probably 2800+ calories per day. Does my weight increase of 2 pounds a week sound normal? (I've been using the same scale at the gym)

I finally got serious about my body, i started to work out and do cardio on may 20..i weighed in at 171 now its been a month and i weigh 163..i can really see the change in my body and the muscles are starting to develop 1 month results are good cant wait to see how ill look in 4 months from now

Originally Posted by CodLiverOil

any tips to cut / bulk up at same time fast ? trying to hit up the beach sometime next month

that would be doing a re composition type of diet. Doing that takes longer than a month and usually you eat around maintenance level calories. It would be better to just do a cut and get rid most of the visible flab if all  you got is a month.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Originally Posted by NjCollector

Originally Posted by BangDak

I decided to change up my cardio workout.

Would biking about 10 miles 2 days a week be good enough?
If i could go back in time and change something about my workout, would be less cardio/hiit. It led me to have a disproportionate body(torso? and legs are too thin compared to arms), which i am slowly fixing.

In other words, just do light cardio, but keep at it. Good results take time, remember to focus on everything not solely one single part of your body.
So im assuming 2 days a week is enough?

Biking also exercises many different parts of your body as well. Any other opinions?

I do a bit of cycling, and 10 miles 2x per week is not very much cardio. If I were you I would ad miles or do it 3-4 times per week.

This is how I grade my rides:
10 miles - short ride
20 miles - decent ride
30 miles - good ride
50-100 miles - great ride

Also, with cycling you dont have to worry about your legs getting smaller in fact it will probably be the opposite. Just mix up the rides with hills, flats, and descents and you should be good.

^^ Hey, I have the same problem... My upper body is huge compared to my legs. Are there any exercises/workouts that might help balance it out a little? I seldom ever work on my legs, only when I go for some jogs/sprints.

Also, what would be the best way for me to burn fat? I've got some fat around my waist and neck area. Sorry NT I need some schooling on fitness...

If anyone can help me out, greatly appreciated
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by I3

Word.

I've been doing StrongLifts - im seeing results in overall strength
devil.gif

Like *@*@, i've been getting my bounce back, becoming really explosive.  Im not too concerned with what I look like (its winter here) - so i've been eating relatively clean, trying to add mass.  I still don't think I eat enough, probably around 3000cals, but coupled with a fast metabolism and constant activity, im finding it difficult to gain mass. I am also scared of gaining too much fat in the process, but its welcomed.

I haven't done any bicep curls or tri pull downs in  weeks, yet im more defined.

I really recommend a strength or compound workout for those athletes looking to increase their performance.  Don't worry about others doing isolation exercises in the gym, chances are they're bodybuilding or just misguided.  Compound/fullbody workouts are the way to go for athletes, do them if you want to gain mass, explosivity and quickness.

Myofibril hypertrophy, you will experience a bit of sacroplasmic hypertrophy - could you explain these further? Im quite interested to know what my body does with a 5x5 programme.

And when is it a good idea to switch to/incorporate isolation exercises?

I workout 3x a week, play ball at least 3x a week, plus try aim for an HIIT session a week.  Am I overkilling myself? I started squatting at a low weight first, to make it easier and practise my technique, however.. when the weight gets heavier I know i'll feel the pain.

Edit: PVL Mutant Mass anyone? Thinking of giving this a shot.. 1050cal per servings, on top of what i'd eat daily.
Not doing GOMAD?
laugh.gif
It's crazy how some dudes put down that much milk AND all that food.
Like I said, heavier loads with lower reps(1-5) focus on myofibril hypertrophy. Some people describe it as having "dense muscles". It hypertrophies the muscle fibers.

Sacroplasmic hypertrophy happens at higher rep ranges (8-12). The sacroplasm is the cytoplasm of the muscle cell. It's fluid filled. So when you train at higher rep ranges, the fluid filled volume of the cell increases. That's why people that train in the higher rep ranges tend to have less 'dense' muscles. They can also be described as 'squishy'.

It's impossible to isolate which one that will happen, just like if you gain weight but don't see any increases in body fat. You will have gained both fat and lean body mass to keep the Fat : LBM ratio the same. 5 reps is more for myofibril hypertrophy. Mark Rippetoe describes it sort of as the best of both worlds.

Just curious, why did you pick 5x5 instead of 3x5? What's the major difference between StrongLifts and Starting Strength?

GOMAD.. its doable, but I think the balance of PVL or Serious Mass by ON has better ingredients, but of course whole foods all the way.  I just think it would be a good experiment to see if I can gain any weight using the gainer, i'd love to just have my shaker, perhaps take half a serving with my breakfast, then the other half at lunch or something.  I'd eventually get back to a whole foods diet anyway.

Thanks for the explanation, I think 5 reps is the way to go as far as strength gains go.

Im not too sure on the differences between the two programmes, apart from the obvious number in reps - I think the majority of the programmes are based on the same principles? 2 set workouts, all compounds, increase the weight each session and keep trying until you fail
pimp.gif

Is there a difference between 3reps and 5? I guess when your at a heavier, challenging weight the 3 repition scheme would be easier to hack as opposed to 5.

Originally Posted by Fog Raw

^^ Hey, I have the same problem... My upper body is huge compared to my legs. Are there any exercises/workouts that might help balance it out a little? I seldom ever work on my legs, only when I go for some jogs/sprints.

Also, what would be the best way for me to burn fat? I've got some fat around my waist and neck area. Sorry NT I need some schooling on fitness...

smokin.gif
Squat + Deadlift
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by I3

smokin.gif
Squat + Deadlift
pimp.gif
Thanks. How about exercises to get leaner?

My latest 5 rep maxes:

Squat:  275
Bench:  225
Deadlift:  335
Military Press:  140
Pull Ups:  25 lb

Originally Posted by iLLest

SERIOUS WEIGHT LIFTERS ONLY.

clenbuterol...

anyone have experiences?

iLLest!
laugh.gif
@ The serious lifters disclaimers. I guess I am not a serious lifter then.

But all of my Bike dudes, are there any pedometers (cheap yet efficient) that I can use to chart my distances? It would be nice to know how far I have gone. .

Originally Posted by I3

GOMAD.. its doable, but I think the balance of PVL or Serious Mass by ON has better ingredients, but of course whole foods all the way.  I just think it would be a good experiment to see if I can gain any weight using the gainer, i'd love to just have my shaker, perhaps take half a serving with my breakfast, then the other half at lunch or something.  I'd eventually get back to a whole foods diet anyway.

Thanks for the explanation, I think 5 reps is the way to go as far as strength gains go.

Im not too sure on the differences between the two programmes, apart from the obvious number in reps - I think the majority of the programmes are based on the same principles? 2 set workouts, all compounds, increase the weight each session and keep trying until you fail
pimp.gif

Is there a difference between 3reps and 5? I guess when your at a heavier, challenging weight the 3 repition scheme would be easier to hack as opposed to 5.

You're lucky to live in New Zealand. From what I've heard, most of your cows are grass-fed, so you get really high quality milk. I'm not sure whether or not they homogenize it or not. But seriously, if I were you, I'd take advantage of the milk. 
Starting Strength is 3 sets of 5 reps, just for reference.

GrimlocK wrote:
Can anyone tell me the different advantages drop sets, pyramid, reverse pyramid have. Is one better for strength and the other better for lean mass gain or something like that or is it just a preference.

been asking alot of questions lately...i'm getting bored in the gym.

What're you trying to do? There are lots of theories for lots of goals. For example, Starting Strength and Wendler's 5/3/1 are both strength based routines, but both use different rep schemes. Just do Starting Strength.
eplaya06 wrote:
40inchBoost wrote:
leangains.com

everyone should check this out

What do yall think about this?? Is intermittent fasting even healthy??

Absolutely. Research has shown promising evidence of life-extending benefits due to intermittent fasting. The results are similar to those seen from caloric restriction. Although, it's not entirely conclusive because many studies are performed on rats and other studies are usually not run long enough because of high costs. Research has shown that intermittent fasting also produces people with better body compositions than people that don't fast intermittently. I do it just because it's convenient. I don't like preparing food too much. It's a hassle to cook breakfast and pack a lunch for me. It's convenient for many, allows the body to adapt to fat metabolism, and allows you to feel satiated, unlike some meal frequency plans(6 meals a day). Remember, intermittent fasting isn't a diet, it's a meal frequency plan. If you eat crap while doing it, you're not going to see nearly as good results as if you eat highly nutritious foods.
Also, Martin Berkhan, the guy that made up LeanGains, is very knowledgeable. The LeanGains approach is a much more liberal form of intermittent fasting in that the fasting period is relatively short. Many people naturally go 12-14 hours overnight between meals. I find that 18 hours of fasting is what suits me best. Remember, if you decide to take it up, don't just think that you're "trapped" into fasting. The idea is that you have more freedom and are able to fast longer on some days and shorter on others, based on your schedule.

this sounds like a form issue more than anything else

Originally Posted by rafsjays

I do a bit of cycling, and 10 miles 2x per week is not very much cardio. If I were you I would ad miles or do it 3-4 times per week.

This is how I grade my rides:
10 miles - short ride
20 miles - decent ride
30 miles - good ride
50-100 miles - great ride

Also, with cycling you dont have to worry about your legs getting smaller in fact it will probably be the opposite. Just mix up the rides with hills, flats, and descents and you should be good.
Well damn
laugh.gif

Yeah, theres a lot of uphills from where im going. and actually, its 20 miles since i have to go back and forth.

Maybe ill add 5 miles and do it 3 times a week. sounds like a good weekly exercise to add in. thanks for the help.

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

Originally Posted by MrDoeBoI

So the last 2-3 weeks I been eating pretty decent and jumping rope for about an hour or so and I can see the changes already.I lost about 13 lbs so now I wanna get the weights involved to build muscle while still burning fat so how should I go about it without killing my self .
jumping rope for an hour? the hell?? i can barely go 15 minutes

Yea at first it was a hassle now it's easy to me I be skipping like boxers and listening to my mp3 it's fun and I be in the park so females be jogging by watching me so it's all good and motivation.

Originally Posted by Steve Cash

which should i do? p90x or insanity?

im looking to trim down and lose the fat on my stomach and chest. im skinny everywhere else so i need that *** gone ASAP.
anyone?

Originally Posted by iLLest

SERIOUS WEIGHT LIFTERS ONLY.

clenbuterol...

anyone have experiences?

iLLest!
It works but the risks seem to be pretty high if you dont do it right

If i were you I would just get some bronkaid + caffine (EC stack) + Lean xtreme by DS sports. Thats a very potent/popular stack for cutting up.

read up on this for dosing http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack.htm

Originally Posted by I3

smokin.gif
Squat + Deadlift
pimp.gif
Thanks. How about exercises to get leaner?
like dude said....Squat & Deadlift....getting leaner is all about your diet.
but if I were you I would focus on Squatting and DLing ASAP!!!

I want to build more muscle and get a toned chest/6pack.
any links to some good instructions on how to achieve this over a half year/year span?

I'm 6'1, 160lbs

Back
Top Bottom