Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by scshift

Originally Posted by drock2010

Durden7 wrote
I think they do it so people who just started working out aka "weaker people" dont feel "intimidated" which is pretty dumb
How is that dumb? 
People go to the gym to workout not look at the man next to them. Its not like those "muscle heads" were born like that they had to work and probably felt intimidated by people who were stronger then them at one point but they got over it and kept on working. If they expect you to be silent while trying to workout thats just insane. Anyway I'm a give it a shot I'm most likely sticking with Ballys from the videos I've seen on Youtube of this place.
A lot of people do that.  The amount of people who go to the gym to work on themselves and improve their health are very minute.  The amount of "pea-cocking" at a gym is insane depending on the type of gym.  Planet Fitness isnt a "workout" gym either.  Its a lot of cardio equipment and weight machines.  They arent marketed or designed for people who "grunt".  Most have 1 squat rack and no DBs above 65 for a reason.

If everyone was told to "get over it" then the amount of people who exercise would be even smaller.

Most people who grunt loudly dont even need to.

Im not saying Planet Fitness is doing things the right way but to say that "weaker people feeling intimated" is dumb is just a bad way of viewing things.
I just looked this up, and I'm kind of surprised at that rule. People who lift heavy grunt naturally (some do) so how are you supposed to put up alot of weight?

And "weaker people feel intimidated"... not sure if that's serious or not, because it's a gym... how are you going to restrict one guys workout so the dude next to him doesn't feel weak? That's kind of lame, I see people at the gym much stronger than me and that only makes me feel more inclined to keep working to be at their strength level.

I think it's just a by product of the fact that people now are so focused on being slim that all they do is low weight high rep exercises (which isn't even that effective) and cardio that lifting heavy is too much effort so they just don't. Not sure but that's my take. The gyms I go to don't mind however.

Youre not supposed to grunt. Thats the idea.

Youre at a different type of gym with different types of people there.  Most people arent motivated by seeing other people workout with more weight than they are.  It IS intimidating to a lot of people.

Yeah but that's what I don't understand. There's no doubt that everyone wants to be strong and have a good body. The 2nd one is maybe but I've never met a person who didn't wish they were stronger.

So how is anyone going to get stronger if they are unwilling to work around people who have walked that road already? Are people really that insecure that the fact that someone around them is stronger than them that they are unwilling to try and improve their own strength and physique? I'm by no means strong or have a good physique but it blows my mind how people can have that kind of thought process. It's like insecurity at its finest, like someone with absolutely no self worth would think of. How is that even profitable?

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Anyone here take planned breaks from working out just to give your body a rest? I've been lifting atleast 3x a week since my last break in May and I'm thinking about taking about 7 days off from lifting just to rest up a bit. I'm not injured or anything but I've been doing strictly compounds atleast 3x a week so I'm thinking its time to give my CNS a bit of a rest. I think I'll use the time to do some jogging, cardio, skipping, plyos, etc.

Also, anyone here use Kettlebells? I saw them laying around at my gym yesterday and gave them a try. Definitely a fun workout apparatus but the heaviest KBs at my gym are just 12kg.
I'm kind of stuck taking a break because my wrists are giving me problems. I don't do prehab work regularly for them, so I guess I deserve it. Been bothering me for a week so far and I know it's because I jumped the volume too quick. It wouldn't happen with weightlifting, but with calisthenics, you have to watch out.
Kettlebells are nice. I tried them out, but I still much prefer bodyweight drills. Swings, snatches, and one arm pressing is great though. They're very expensive though. The cheapest I've seen is $1/lb + shipping.

dont know how anyone can defend a gym that gives out free pizza every month. or maybe that is considered a good post workout carb source now.
laugh.gif

grunting is dumb but pretty rare at the gyms i go to. the no DL rule is just stupid.

I just looked this up, and I'm kind of surprised at that rule. People who lift heavy grunt naturally (some do) so how are you supposed to put up alot of weight?

And "weaker people feel intimidated"... not sure if that's serious or not, because it's a gym... how are you going to restrict one guys workout so the dude next to him doesn't feel weak? That's kind of lame, I see people at the gym much stronger than me and that only makes me feel more inclined to keep working to be at their strength level.

I think it's just a by product of the fact that people now are so focused on being slim that all they do is low weight high rep exercises (which isn't even that effective) and cardio that lifting heavy is too much effort so they just don't. Not sure but that's my take. The gyms I go to don't mind however.

Youre not supposed to grunt. Thats the idea.

Youre at a different type of gym with different types of people there.  Most people arent motivated by seeing other people workout with more weight than they are.  It IS intimidating to a lot of people.
Yeah but that's what I don't understand. There's no doubt that everyone wants to be strong and have a good body. The 2nd one is maybe but I've never met a person who didn't wish they were stronger.

I agree that everyone wants to have a good body, but I dont think that everyone wants to be strong.  (i.e.  80% of females)

You most likely havent spoken to enough people then.  Its difficult to get a good sample when the people you speak to are of the same mindset.  Of course all the males who are near the free weight area are going to want to get stronger, but theres still a another segment of people who exercise.

So how is anyone going to get stronger if they are unwilling to workaround people who have walked that road already? Are people really thatinsecure that the fact that someone around them is stronger than themthat they are unwilling to try and improve their own strength andphysique? I'm by no means strong or have a good physique but it blowsmy mind how people can have that kind of thought process. It's likeinsecurity at its finest, like someone with absolutely no self worthwould think of. How is that even profitable?
Different people have different forms of motivation.  What about the guy who has a gym in his house?  Hes not working around people who have been down that road, but he still wants to progress.  It's all mental.  However "you"  (anyone) find a way to continue making progress and achieving greater results doesnt really matter.

Absolutely people feel insecure like that.  Almost everyone who begins at a gym feels very intimidated and insecure.  A gym isnt a friendly environment.  A lot of people feel intimated by people who are stronger.  (Remember that this includes men and women.)

I have the opposite viewpoint on this.  I dont think thats "insecurity" at its finest.  I think the real insecurity is the individuals who feel the need to "impress" at the gym and give off the aura of being an amazing person because of the physique they have.  A gym is a REALLY vain atmosphere and ive seen some of the most insecure people ive ever seen at the gym.  That kind of attitude and vibe puts a lot of people off which is another reason why Planet Fitness has some of the rules that it does.

Planet Fitness has found a fascinating niche and marketing strategy in the exercise world.  Are all of their rules for me?  Not at all, but I certainly see where theyre coming from and why they do it. 

I work at PF as the fitness instructor (go over resistance machine set-up, cardio settings, etc with people new to working out) and the policies are followed pretty strictly. As far as "grunting" is concerned, I have yet to set off the alarm on someone grunting. I define grunt as more of a yell, which is absolutely unnecessary. If you start exhaling heavily toward the end of your set, that's cool...I understand that. The slamming weights, again is unnecessary. If you need to throw your weights down, they're a little heavy for you.

The idea behind the gym is to help people who are self-conscious, and intimidated by being surrounded by people who are more fit than them reeeelax and focus on bettering themselves. If you're a serious lifter, then your options are limited. Smith machines, dumbbells up to 75lbs, cable machines, curl bars, and some flat and incline benches. Personally, I think it's an awesome gym with a great idea. There are a lot of people I've seen make huge transformations and that's great...in my opinion what a gym should be. I've seen everyone from 80 year old couples, to former bodybuilders in there who comfortably use the equipment in each other's presence.

Anyone here take planned breaks from working out just to give your body a rest? I've been lifting atleast 3x a week since my last break in May and I'm thinking about taking about 7 days off from lifting just to rest up a bit. I'm not injured or anything but I've been doing strictly compounds atleast 3x a week so I'm thinking its time to give my CNS a bit of a rest. I think I'll use the time to do some jogging, cardio, skipping, plyos, etc.

Also, anyone here use Kettlebells? I saw them laying around at my gym yesterday and gave them a try. Definitely a fun workout apparatus but the heaviest KBs at my gym are just 12kg.

Recovery/taper weeks should be included in every program.  It doesn't mean you have to stop lifting.  For my clients, we schedule regular weeks where decrease volume/intensity, and focus more on balance, posture, core, cardio, etc.

I see you staxx. You got girls in your pics? I got a dude in mine, see him? I just came at you sideways, bro.

Haven't snapped pics in months. Tried not to peacock too much in the locker room to take this quickie (I don't frequent this gym often).

my stats: 5'10, 180lbs, "skinny fat", got a fat mostly on my stomach and chest

my question for those who started out at a similar body, how long did it take for you to start seeing nice results?

I've been lifting 3 times a week and have been taking approximately 1900 cals and 130g of protein per day.

Heres what I USE for a killer metabolism. This method provided was an ancient method used by some of the early warriors. The more you eat, the more your body has to get used to digesting food at a faster rate. Food because more than just pleasure, it becomes a job. Great for me as I like my body lean and in great shape. Used to do the same in high school, but ate junk food. Was still slim, but the junk food was empty calories and no energy.

6am: Banana with cinnamon + Multi vitamin.

8am Work Out(early morning workout lite on stomach and body and be careful to not over do it as your body has very little energy)

10am Breakfast: 2 bottles of water

12 pm snack 1 bottle of water

2 pm Lunch 2 glasses of water

4 pm snack glass of water

5:30 or 6 Dinner 1 glass of water

7:30pm protein bar

Workout after Class

During workout, SIP water(amount may vary)

After workout, drink protein shake or Gatorade plus home cooked meal containing majority of protein and small amounts of carbs

Also, you guys remember to stay on top on your health INTERNALLY. Many folks judge their health on only the outside, but please visit your doctors for regular check ups on your blood levels, heart rate, and respiratory health.

Seen plenty STRONG and ripped people find out they were unhealthy inside due to the methods they were using to get in shape( supplements)

Also stay hydrated and expect to piss ALOT. Also, you should be dumping twice a day on average. I'm 210 btw

Originally Posted by drock2010

Durden7 wrote
I think they do it so people who just started working out aka "weaker people" dont feel "intimidated" which is pretty dumb
How is that dumb? 
People go to the gym to workout not look at the man next to them. Its not like those "muscle heads" were born like that they had to work and probably felt intimidated by people who were stronger then them at one point but they got over it and kept on working. If they expect you to be silent while trying to workout thats just insane. Anyway I'm a give it a shot I'm most likely sticking with Ballys from the videos I've seen on Youtube of this place.

A lot of people do that.  The amount of people who go to the gym to work on themselves and improve their health are very minute.  The amount of "pea-cocking" at a gym is insane depending on the type of gym.  Planet Fitness isnt a "workout" gym either.  Its a lot of cardio equipment and weight machines.  They arent marketed or designed for people who "grunt".  Most have 1 squat rack and no DBs above 65 for a reason.

If everyone was told to "get over it" then the amount of people who exercise would be even smaller.

Most people who grunt loudly dont even need to.

Im not saying Planet Fitness is doing things the right way but to say that "weaker people feeling intimated" is dumb is just a bad way of viewing things.

I'm not saying that all people that are weaker then average people or average people at the gym feel intimidated I'm just saying thats why I think Planet Fitness exists

I guess it makes sense for beginners but I still think no grunt is a silly rule and having an alarm go off when you drop weights or make a noise is dumb

I do agree a lot of people do "pea-cocking" as you put it at gyms but their are a lot of dudes willing to help people without even having to be asked. Maybe at Planet Fitness the people with better cardio make the people with bad cardio feel intimidated 
laugh.gif

Funny thing is the place I'm going to check out isnt even Planet Fitness my friend messed the name up its some other place, I'm relieved.

Alright fitness experts!
Barbell barbell bench vs dumb bell press? Which is better?

I'm able to put up 80 - 90 dumbbells like water, but I can't barbell for NOTHING!! LOL

I can barely do 185 on the barbell wussup with that? Lol

Not to mention I have a shoulder injury I think bad joints, anyways before my injury I was able to put up 245 on the barbell, but 65 dumbbells was pretty hard! Lol wut gives?

I'm 135 lbs if that matters

Originally Posted by Hyper Cutter

I see you staxx. You got girls in your pics? I got a dude in mine, see him? I just came at you sideways, bro.

Haven't snapped pics in months. Tried not to peacock too much in the locker room to take this quickie (I don't frequent this gym often).
Whatever, you was 'mirin, brehhh. It's okay, do the same thing in the locker room too. lulz

Originally Posted by FResHtuDEF

Alright fitness experts!

I'm able to put up 80 - 90 dumbbells like water, but I can't barbell for NOTHING!! LOL

Not to mention I have a shoulder injury I think bad joints, anyways before my injury I was able to put up 245 on the barbell, but 65 dumbbells was pretty hard! Lol wut gives?

those are pretty good numbers to put up for someone who weighs 135lb though

Hit personal bests in deadlifts (300x3), and muscle ups (6) today. Pretty good since I just started deadlifting again after a 1.5 yr hiatus. I'm still riding the high!

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Hit personal bests in deadlifts (300x3), and muscle ups (6) today. Pretty good since I just started deadlifting again after a 1.5 yr hiatus. I'm still riding the high!
Why did you stop DLing? Did you stop squatting as well?

I'm actually thinking of dropping squats and DLs all together and focusing more on just kettle bells, HIIT, plyometrics, etc for legs. I want to be more athletic and agile and despite increasing my squat and DL over the last year I felt like neither really helped improve my speed, agility, muscle endurance, etc. If anything they just helped me maintain strength and avoid injuries but I feel like they limited me in a sense.

I'm actually thinking of dropping squats and DLs all together and focusing more on just kettle bells, HIIT, plyometrics, etc for legs. I want to be more athletic and agile and despite increasing my squat and DL over the last year I felt like neither really helped improve my speed, agility, muscle endurance, etc. If anything they just helped me maintain strength and avoid injuries but I feel like they limited me in a sense.
Couple reasons; I hurt my back a couple times, and was really hesitant to try them again, and also didn't see very much functionality in them.  Didn't stop squatting completely, but I did stop trying to improve squat numbers and just maintained pretty much.

Im 5'7..weight 130...starting to lift a dumbell 4X50 on each arm and do 4X25 push ups every morning from monday to fridays...need to know if this is a healthy workout?..

EDIT: ten lbs

After a while, the strength developed(by deadlifts and  squats) stops being so useful in the athletic realm. Variety is the key.

Alright few things.
Grunting: this foreign dude (from Kazakhstan or something) used to come in to the gym and load the smith machine with 25 lbs plates and absolutely MAX out behind the neck o.h presses
laugh.gif
. He grunted at the TOP of his lungs. Big hairy scary dude just actin gorilla. Few girls I knew actually stopped going to the gym because they were SCARED of him. SMH... i didn't mind because my music is loud but the lack of respect is unsettling. I think one time I let out a "PooT! GHEAAAAAAAAhh!!! GHEAHHHHH!!! SSSSTTTTHHH!!" Goku type exhale.

I like to take a week off at the beginning of the month every three months.

My legs and back are a bit sore today but I'd really like to do a high intensity upper body (chest shoulders arms) circuit today. Any ideas????

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by Hyper Cutter

Whatever, you was 'mirin, brehhh. It's okay, do the same thing in the locker room too. lulz
Gregg Plitt tho?

Originally Posted by FResHtuDEF

Alright fitness experts!

you should compete.

Mental warfare going on? That doesn't seem right from my perspective.

Back
Top Bottom