STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

I weigh 195 and when I really got into squatting 135 didn't necessarily feel heavy, but it was heavy enough to give me trouble doing a proper squat.

Don't sweat it, you'll build up to 185 in 2-3 weeks no problem. Remember, the weight doesn't matter, whatever weight you're using, have it make you WORK. As long as you're WORKING the muscles, your'e doing it right.

On another note, my foots really messed up. Heading to the doctor later, really pissed that imma miss work for a week minimum, probably more, but REALLY pissed that imma miss out on the gym. Once I get a boot on or my foot gets well enough to atleast walk with my weight, ill head to the gym right after and do what I can.

Sucks bros.

Last edited:
Thanks for the words bros

not once have I used the smith machine.  I workout first thing in the morning, on the squat rack by 5:15 AM on workout days.  Before I leave for the gym, I eat 1 piece of what bread with some peanut butter on it (could this be a factor?).  I have a hunch i'm not eating enough throughout the days to fuel my workouts....I just feel like i'm going to get fat if I take down 3k in cals a day.  How many cals should I take in ?

Last edited by a moderator:
That depends on your goals.

You need to eat more than that in the morning if you wanna get stronger with squatting. Eat a decent breakfast and a good protein filled lunch.

Saw this in the paper. I'm not really big on deadlifts, but isn't this form pretty dangerous?

People are different, but for me I need a significant amount of food in me and digested, and a good amount of water as well for me to get the most out of my lifts. Especially as it gets heavier. Otherwise I struggle.

People are different, but for me I need a significant amount of food in me and digested, and a good amount of water as well for me to get the most out of my lifts. Especially as it gets heavier. Otherwise I struggle.

QFT.

Especially with these workouts that are strength based (5x5 workout especially).
I find myself performing at my best after 2 or 3 meals.

You can get a good amount of progress in the morning but I don't think lifting heavy weights after 1 small meal will maximize your results.
If the morning is the absolute best time to continue working out then definitely stick with it.

Also, the amount of calories to lose or gain weight is very subjective. I would start with a comfortable number then tweak the calories as you see fit.
Experimenting for a couple weeks with 3000 calories won't make you fat.

QFT.

Especially with these workouts that are strength based (5x5 workout especially).
I find myself performing at my best after 2 or 3 meals.

You can get a good amount of progress in the morning but I don't think lifting heavy weights after 1 small meal will maximize your results.
If the morning is the absolute best time to continue working out then definitely stick with it.

Also, the amount of calories to lose or gain weight is very subjective. I would start with a comfortable number then tweak the calories as you see fit.
Experimenting for a couple weeks with 3000 calories won't make you fat.
I'm a on a 5x5 with strict form to add lean muscle (size) as opposed to lifting purely for strength. Should I up the reps?

Man I've experimented with diet for years, dropping the calorie count hit a plateau for me. Wasn't till I really added a solid 30 mins or more of moderate-high cardio after my lifts that I really started seeing the leaning out at a faster rate. Just hard to wrap my head around because I get so bored of it at 15 mins, I had to trick my mind to make it fun. I eat pretty clean and at maintenance or under.

Last edited:
Man I've experimented with diet for years, dropping the calorie count hit a plateau for me. Wasn't till I really added a solid 30 mins or more of moderate-high cardio after my lifts that I really started seeing the leaning out at a faster rate. Just hard to wrap my head around because I get so bored of it at 15 mins, I had to trick my mind to make it fun. I eat pretty clean and at maintenance or under.

I don't think there is anything better than diet when it comes to getting rid of bodyfat.

You can drop calories to really low levels as long as you refeed once/twice a week.

Cardio while you're already in a caloric deficit isn't going to help you strength/muscle mass wise

thats because there isnt anything better than a diet

like they say, abs are made in the kitchen.... why? because a clean diet will drop bodyfat with or without lifting

My first time ever squatting was two months ago (Dec 16th)  I am up to 135lb on the 5x5 routine and it is extremely heavy.  I barely finished my sets this morning..SMH...weighing in @ 194, should 135 feel THAT heavy?  Feeling:  unmotivated.
if it feels that heavy to you, it feels that heavy. don't listen to anyone telling you it shouldn't. your path to progress is exactly that - YOUR path. make sure your form is good and drop the weight to the bar if necessary until you have the form down solid. you're not competing with anyone else but yourself. keep at it man. don't get discouraged and don't quit.

My first time ever squatting was two months ago (Dec 16th)  I am up to 135lb on the 5x5 routine and it is extremely heavy.  I barely finished my sets this morning..SMH...weighing in @ 194, should 135 feel THAT heavy?  Feeling:  unmotivated.

Please take this advise. Don't worry what your lifts look like. Please put your ego to the side and work with the weight you can do. You will get stronger and your numbers will go up but don't do it to impress your friends/anyone in the gym/NT(online). Take it slow. You're good. Keep at it.

Please take this advise. Don't worry what your lifts look like. Please put your ego to the side and work with the weight you can do. You will get stronger and your numbers will go up but don't do it to impress your friends/anyone in the gym/NT(online). Take it slow. You're good. Keep at it.

Couldn't agree more. I used to think that 135 should'nt be that heavy for me but it is right now because of my knee. I used to squat way more but that was a long time ago and now I have to get back to those levels but I am by no means in a rush, that leads to serious injury.

this is why I post !! 

I just found out i've been warming up wrong..been doing nearly 2x the amount of reps I need to...hopefully this helps..

Food prepared for tomorrow and Wednesday!!!

Balsamic chicken

Stew tilapia

1st container: 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup mixed vegetables, 6oz tilapia

2nd container: 1 cup mixed vegetables, 5oz lean flank steak

Weighed in this morning. 203.4lb, abs showing(need that photoshopped look)

whats talapia taste like? seriously :lol:

starting my cut next month and kinda wanna start eating it, i dont eat fish and everyone i know has never had it or eats it :lol:

Talapia is delicious especially with some garlic, sriracha and seasoning.

Love fish though, Salmon/Flounder/Shrimp/Crab

Great for cutting too, high protein low fat, plus Omega-3 in some.

Legs today. Becoming a little frustrated with the negative movement of my deadlifts. I don't know if I'm watching too many youtube videos or just overly critical of my form 
mad.gif

Also feel like I'm "squatting" too much when DL'ing

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom