STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

^

I would like to try it, but is it generally a good idea to be in fairly decent shape to even start basic workouts? Decent shape meaning, cardio is good, can do a fair amount of pullups, etc.

I've been involved with CrossFit for almost 4 years now. It's how I went from 287 to 185 (at my lowest). It's great for any level of athlete really.

There's a Steeler who went undrafted coming out of WV (I think it was) who was picked up by the Steelers a year after he graduated from college. He basically gives CF a lot of credit for it. Knowhon Moreno does it as well. It offers great, quick and intense, workouts with varying movements (From kettlebells, barbells, body weight movements, gymnastic movements) that is usually within a time domain. Think P90X but less corny, with more people (if you go to an actual CrossFit gym) and an almost "personal training" experience. If you take a look at any of the work outs they have (they name them after girls, and have things called Hero Workouts), you'll get an idea (unless you just want examples and not have to look through google). There is a rhyme and reason for the movements in the order they have them, and the lengths of time to complete them, but you could feasibly throw some stuff together and ALMOST get the same results.

Also a good way to learn how to get in shape (with everyone preaching "healthy lifestyle"..paleo, zone, working out all the damn time) if you lack any motivation to do it yourself.

Biggest drawback..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. around here in Seattle...$200/mo for unlimited classes at some gyms. No typo.
sick.gif
mean.gif
.. Im so glad the Air force drank the kool aid and funded the entire set up for our gym. 

^

I would like to try it, but is it generally a good idea to be in fairly decent shape to even start basic workouts? Decent shape meaning, cardio is good, can do a fair amount of pullups, etc.
You can scale most workouts to fit your skill level. example when alot of females join they cant do pull-ups, so they use the bands to work the motions until they can do a proper pull-up. If you cant properly Deadlift #225 then scale it to something your comfortable with. You should be straight tho. know your limits just like in the gym 

Man screw all them gimmick diets and work out routines.

Count Calories and Lift dem der weights, throw in some elliptical if you want. I`ll forever stand by this.

I HATE those types. The Elitists. It used to be worse before CrossFit took off like it has, but unfortunately the rise of the folks who have never done any previous form of exercising (outside of PE in elementary school) who now walk around with puffed up chests.

Also, the ones who constantly shove it in anyone's face that would take 2 seconds to listen, that they crossfit.......please, tone it down.

yeah, but those people you're referring to, you have them in any sport. in fitness/weightlifting you have those very same douchebags, so it doesnt really matter.. there are plenty of guys in the gym who laugh at other people because they dont lift as heavy as they do, or the so-called elite guys in the gym who life as heavy as possible, but their form is all f*cked..

so regardless, a douche in crossfit, the gym or any other sport is still a douche

Count Calories and Lift dem der weights, throw in some elliptical if you want. I`ll forever stand by this.
true!

But crossfit seemed like an interesting and fun diversion, from the normal lift and run...

the sport of fitness and something that creates the best athletes in any sport.. cause if an NFL quarterback (matt Hasselback) cant even complete a workout, that shows it's not a joke
Matt Hasselback is about as athletic as Betty White

I feel like if I get on crossfit I will be ripped. I'm gonna start cutting in march. Maybe I'll do crossfit cuz I kno I"ll be lean and more in shape. It's something new.

So cross lifters like bench once a weak squat and deadlift once a week as well? Or will I have to do that on my own time?

----

One thing a good friend told me was you see those those guys in the gym benching 400 350 lbs deadlifting 500 but can't do 10 pull-ups to save their live.

How many muscle ups can y'all do?

Last edited:
I feel like if I get on crossfit I will be ripped. I'm gonna start cutting in march. Maybe I'll do crossfit cuz I kno I"ll be lean and more in shape. It's something new.
So cross lifters like bench once a weak squat and deadlift once a week as well? Or will I have to do that on my own time?
----
One thing a good friend told me was you see those those guys in the gym benching 400 350 lbs deadlifting 500 but can't do 10 pull-ups to save their live.

I`ll put it like this in regard to my goals, I dont care about 400 lb bench press and all that, its not gonna help me in life because I`m not trying to go to the NFL. I`m just tryna get shredded as fark by anymeans.

I`ll put it like this in regard to my goals, I dont care about 400 lb bench press and all that, its not gonna help me in life because I`m not trying to go to the NFL. I`m just tryna get shredded as fark by anymeans.

Yeah I know. I'm just talking bout how some dudes are strong lifters but can't handle their own body weight.

----

your friend needs to check again, cause people at any crossfit gym can do pull ups. only on strength days do you do bench press, but not always.. bench press is not that important.

Because that's all there is to it, compound lifts and diet.
Dudes love to over complicate diet & training when they aren't even to the level where it makes a significant difference.

yet he's in the NFL, are you?

Are you serious? He isn't in the NFL because of his athleticism, he has a good arm and qb skills. I would understand if you said Adrian Peterson someone who actually is athletic.
Any of the regulars in here are in better shape than him.

bench press is not that important.

:lol: ok you've said enough

Last edited:
Because that's all there is to it, compound lifts and diet.
Dudes love to over complicate diet & training when they aren't even to the level where it makes a significant difference.
Are you serious? He isn't in the NFL because of his athleticism, he has a good arm and qb skills. I would understand if you said Adrian Peterson someone who actually is athletic.
Any of the regulars in here are in better shape than him,
BINGO, I would have taken you more serious if you used a better comparison but Hasselback?? I could beat that dude in a race running backwards. SERIOUS 
indifferent.gif

your friend needs to check again, cause people at any crossfit gym can do pull ups. only on strength days do you do bench press, but not always.. bench press is not that important.

Obviously not talking about cross lifters. I'm talking your red lifters in a reg gym.

Come on now. We kno most nfl qbs that are white cant hang with it. They just in good enough shape to throw ball for 4 qtrs and take hits. Brady runs on treadmills. These guys are slow as hell.

Last edited:
Doesnt matter, pretty sure body builders and cross "fitters" have different goals anyway. Body buildiers are pure mass and power. Cross fitters are much leaner, obviously not as strong but muscular endurance is there. Also they have more "desirable" body types. Which in most cases is true.

For the most part youre right.

Then you plateau and you kinda need to switch it up.

Another topic, whats the point/benefits (if any) of doing the type of squat where you sit on the end of the bench after the squat, then explode back up? Saw some guy doing it next to me while I was deadlifting, he just had 225, a lot of reps and he would push up hard after taking a split second stop sitting on the bench.

I tried it, I feel like im cheating myself, but then again I could understand how the explosive part could benefit you.

Last edited:
Obviously not talking about cross lifters. I'm talking your red lifters in a reg gym.
Come on now. We kno most nfl qbs that are white cant hang with it. They just in good enough shape to throw ball for 4 qtrs and take hits. Brady runs on treadmills. These guys are slow as hell.

so you're basing this on skin color? sorry, but that is the lamest argument ever.

Doesnt matter, pretty sure body builders and cross "fitters" have different goals anyway. Body buildiers are pure mass and power. Cross fitters are much leaner, obviously not as strong but muscular endurance is there. Also they have more "desirable" body types. Which in most cases is true.

obviously? sorry, but that is just generalizing.. you'd be surprised that some people that do crossfit can lift just as much if not heavier than body builders

Do you guys have a one stop shop for supplements or you just search for best deals? I like BB.com since they are in the next state I get all my shipments in a day, but I see there are better priced sites

obviously? sorry, but that is just generalizing.. you'd be surprised that some people that do crossfit can lift just as much if not heavier than body builders
You're doing some generalizing there yourself. How many crossfitters can bench 600+ lbs? Or squat 1000 lbs? They are a lot leaner, more athletic. Body builders are pure power. Like I said, different goals.

And son, cmon NFL quarterbacks are not as athletic as you think. They may be more athletic than the average man, but their arm and ability to play QB is what got them their job. Look at some baseball players. "Athletic" in baseball biz but damn, they eating.

Last edited:

For the most part youre right.

Then you plateau and you kinda need to switch it up.

Another topic, whats the point/benefits (if any) of doing the type of squat where you sit on the end of the bench after the squat, then explode back up? Saw some guy doing it next to me while I was deadlifting, he just had 225, a lot of reps and he would push up hard after taking a split second stop sitting on the bench.

I tried it, I feel like im cheating myself, but then again I could understand how the explosive part could benefit you.

It's of my understanding that by not going down as low on the squat, that puts more emphasis on the quad. the bench prevents ATG and keeps the glutes aid at a minimum.

nope. I've always heard good stuff about it though, some not so good stuff too... never really made the effort to try it. What about you? what's your take on it?
What negative things have you heard about it?
extra strength kidney blow!

as far as negs, I've just heard of kidney/liver issues, diarrhea and the fool's gold gains. the size and pump due to water retention, and the dissipation of said size when off creatine. i heard the strength gain is fairly legit though. Idk, just doesn't seem overly necessary for gains that may or may not be permanent.

Did an hour of bi's & tri's today finishing with a half hr of calve stuff. it was great. Gym closes at 3pm tomorrow, so I gotta get in early. I'll probably do some yoga and get some good time in on the foam roller, give my body a little rehab. then hit some shoulders and forearms.

As for as eating this holiday season, I'm probably gonna go pretty hard on the meats, pause. Turkey and ham, I'll load up. Sweet potatoes will definitely come in huge helpings. The other things, I'll use moderation. Dessert...well I have a CRAZY, INSATIABLE, BORDERLINE MENTAL, sweet-tooth. So that's going to be my Achilles heel. I'll use judgement though. Plus the gym opens back up at 3pm on Christmas day, but I probably wont make it back until, ehh, maybe the 27th, rest will be good. I definitely don't expect a loss in any strength or a gain in any fat. Nothing significant anyways.

As far as my ideas on Crossfit, I think it's pretty cool. I'd be interested in taking part in it someday. I love fitness overall, so I enjoy the challenge of new techniques. I plan on running a marathon one day and maybe a spartan or some other kind of extreme, triathlon or something, who knows. I enjoy the struggle, having to push myself to be great. That inner battle to squeeze out every last drop of juice from that orange.

My workouts as is are for strength, endurance and body sculpting, but the majority of my movements are strictly for function and applied strength & endurance. So I think since that's the path I already walk, I don't suspect transitioning to something more intense would be too difficult.

Do you guys have a one stop shop for supplements or you just search for best deals? I like BB.com since they are in the next state I get all my shipments in a day, but I see there are better priced sites

I go for the best prices/sites with active coupon codes.

Back
Top Bottom