STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

If you've never done any then....zero, no hate lol. Watch this
If he kips hard, he might be able to pull one off lol

My 2cents, I think crossfit is all about personal preference. For me, i never felt gassed at the gym after a workout as i feel now doing crossfit. I feel that i am getting more out of my workouts when i am going against other people and trying to get the best time or reps out of the WODs. Mix in the olympic lifting we do before the WODs and i feel i am getting great strength and conditioning out of it and it's starting to show (mixed with a good diet of course). 

Did back with no pre-sup yesterday. Did Romanian Dead lifts 8x at 225#. This was after 2 hrs of sleep, 9 hrs of work. Today will consist of stretching as a workout.

I did barbell squats for the first time last night (yes im a gym newbie) I need my thighs to be toned for summer!  My neck is sore today though :frown:

I did barbell squats for the first time last night (yes im a gym newbie) I need my thighs to be toned for summer!  My neck is sore today though :frown:

Small tid bit that helped me. You see a lot of guys with a wide grip doing squats. Meaning they hold the bar closer to the weights then their body. For us leaner folks (I'm 6 foot 180lbs). I hold the bar closer to my ears (if that makes sense) it naturally puffs your traps and back to cushion the bar. Just place the bar right on that little patch of muscle but make sure you are centered for balance purposes obviously.

On IF.... i usually eat around 2500 cals on sunday and decrease my cals to 1700 M-F. but, dammm, thursdays are always the hardest day for IF.

Just want some simple advice. I'm 5'7, 155 lbs, with 18% body fat. I did some body mass standing on it thing at the gym and basically my muscle is reasonably decent but my fat (especially around my midsection) is not good. I'm a pear shape..sucks. Also,I have had lower back problems since I was 16 (27 now) but the past two years have been the most pain free since then. For me, I think doing squats helps a lot lot lot with my lower back pain. I only get lower back pain if I play basketball (more than 1x a week) or do shoulder press/bent over row type exercises (not flexible).

So, from now until the end of my working contract (February 28th) I'd like to do an easy routine to get myself into a less fatty, stronger, leaner shape. I am taking the internal steps and have already cut out soda, and terrible foods (ice cream, candy, chips for the most part). I want to get in shape but I have no athletic aspirations...i just want to do something that is simple and I can stick with everyday. I'd like to get down to about 13% by end of February.

I have started doing this routine since the beginning of January and am aiming to improve my consistency (had a few off days/bad eating days etc)

Monday and Tuesday:
-Warmup - Kettlebell swings (2 minutes)
-Squats (5-10 lbs on each side using the bar in squat rack), 8 reps, 4 sets
-Dumbbell bench press (25 lbs), 10 reps, 4 sets
-Pull-ups (max, 3 sets)
-Cool down - Kettlebell swings (2 minutes)
-Jog on treadmill between 10-30 minutes (will do longer/faster as endurance improves)

Wednesday: Rest

So basically 2 days on, 1 day off routine. I want something that I can do everyday...just want to hear if this with a better diet is enough? My diet consists basically of, with one cheat day (pizza to watch NBA/NFL with):
7:30 am: 2 slices of toast
8:00 am: One apple
2:30 pm: One apple
3-4 pm: Gym
4:30 pm: 1 Chicken breast, with brown rice, cheese, guacamole, salsa
6:00 pm: Vegetable soup
8:00 pm: A bowl of milk with honey nut cheerios
*If I'm hungry I usually drink V8 fusion and/or water

Advice, or funny flames appreciated.

Are you only able to go two days a week or are you going Monday,Tuesday,Thursday, Friday? Just a little confused, but you should split up your routine into a push day, a pull day, and a leg day. And don't be afraid to go heavier with weights, maybe even considering dropping down to a 5-8 rep range. It'll build the muscle that you're looking for quicker since you're a newbie.

Also, as far as your diet goes...you need A LOT more protein in there, aim for at least 1 gram per pound that you weigh. Calculate your daily calorie needs and macros here: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

Bro, I'm just making assumptions man....I don't know jack :lol:

well, what i've seen from guys at my crossfit gym, they can easily lift over 300 bench or 350 squat... so yeah in a way it makes you stronger than regular fitness, but in a different way i guess.. you can be the strongest in the gym,but doesnt mean you can do x amount of pullups..

i encourage people to just try crossfitonce and then come back and talk about it. see what you liked, didnt like, if you thought it was a good work out or not.

making assumptions is basically empty opinions... cause you have nothing to base your opinion on

If he kips hard, he might be able to pull one off lol

My 2cents, I think crossfit is all about personal preference. For me, i never felt gassed at the gym after a workout as i feel now doing crossfit. I feel that i am getting more out of my workouts when i am going against other people and trying to get the best time or reps out of the WODs. Mix in the olympic lifting we do before the WODs and i feel i am getting great strength and conditioning out of it and it's starting to show (mixed with a good diet of course). 

I share the same feelings about crossfit as this guy. There are a lot of aspects of it that I like but...

Start at 5:40

Last edited:
I start the gym today and got 5 sessions with a personal trainer.

I have egg whites every morning.

Snacks are usually fruits/protein bars

Lunch I have a salad with some chicken

Dinner I usually just have a shake.

Im starting cardio today.

Usually on the tredmill for 45 mins

Eliptical for 30 mins

Squats, Abs, Legs, Arms

I need to lose 15 pounds or more hopefully in 2 months.

I had squat day yesterday too. did 275 finally...

hopefully i hit 315 before may.

i go lowwwwwww...

Bout to start doing barbell military press tmrw for the first time. always used dumbell.

Lately i been switching up my workout routine alot. I stick with the compound lifts. But usually switch up the isolations. Been working great for me as of late. Instead of sticking with the same workout.. It makes it more fun and easier to stay committed.

Well guys you know what today is......LEG DAY

CAN'T WAIT 
pimp.gif

Last edited:
I start the gym today and got 5 sessions with a personal trainer.

I have egg whites every morning.
Snacks are usually fruits/protein bars
Lunch I have a salad with some chicken
Dinner I usually just have a shake.

Im starting cardio today.
Usually on the tredmill for 45 mins
Eliptical for 30 mins
Squats, Abs, Legs, Arms

I need to lose 15 pounds or more hopefully in 2 months.

Remember to do weights before cardio! Being consistent with your training and diet will have you losing that 15 lbs in no time! :D

Remember to do weights before cardio! Being consistent with your training and diet will have you losing that 15 lbs in no time!
happy.gif
I dont know much about working out....so what are some good workout routines?

I hope I do. I have a wedding in Aruba if I dont look good by then I aint going. lolol Its so fn hard to lose weight for girls!

I appreciate any tips you guys give me. Thanks!
wink.gif

well, what i've seen from guys at my crossfit gym, they can easily lift over 300 bench or 350 squat... so yeah in a way it makes you stronger than regular fitness, but in a different way i guess.. you can be the strongest in the gym,but doesnt mean you can do x amount of pullups..

i encourage people to just try crossfitonce and then come back and talk about it. see what you liked, didnt like, if you thought it was a good work out or not.

making assumptions is basically empty opinions... cause you have nothing to base your opinion on
There are always groupons and living social deals for crossfit gym's where i live. 12 sessions or unlimited month for like 30 bucks or something like that. I did 3 of those before i decided to join the box i am at now. I think going one workout at a crossfit gym is cool, but multiple will give you a better idea of the differences are over multiple movements/WODs.

Watch this
that was impressive. seen a pretty big dude at my gym straight launching some high clapping pull-ups. don't usually see huge guys doing that bodyweight stuff.

and i'd be surprised if fouseyDude does even one clean muscle up on his first day trying.

lol at illest thinking a muscle up is a piece of cake...... them things is no joke
to be able to even do one it will take a lot of time and practice

I dont know much about working out....so what are some good workout routines?

I hope I do. I have a wedding in Aruba if I dont look good by then I aint going. lolol Its so fn hard to lose weight for girls!

I appreciate any tips you guys give me. Thanks! :wink:

Contrary to popular belief, girls can only benefit from weight training. So I would recommend looking into Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 for an introduction to the main lifts. I currently have my two female clients doing a routine that revolves around compound lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Bentover Row, Overhead Press, Pull Ups) and they have all seen great results in fat loss as well as shaping their muscles. So then after weight training you'll want to do cardio. Look into HIIT because not only is it more efficient than your standard LISS cardio but it's more effective for fat loss.

Also, it's extremely important to get your diet dialed in. Use the calculators here to calculate your daily needs: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

I share the same feelings about crossfit as this guy. There are a lot of aspects of it that I like but...

Start at 5:40

he makes a lot of sense.. but there are a couple things i don't really agree with..

like they tell me at my crossfit gym, don't go all out in the first set, because you have to keep a certain level of consistency all through out your work out. that is why you don't always pick a weight that is too heavy and can mess up your form when you get the to tail end of your work out.

there are always trainers walking around, correcting everyone's form because they know how difficult it is to keep a good form and high level when you get tired.. but he is right, like there are dumb crossfitters, there are also dumb bodybuilders or power lifters. but which one he is, i'm not so sure.. here's why..

what i don't get is, if this guy, is certified Olympic lifting, why can't he bench press the way you should? it irks me so bad, that people that have these certifications cant do it right..

look at where his thumbs are.. when you lift, or even pick up something, do you put your thumb next to your index finger? the way he holds his bar, means that if the weight becomes to heavy and it slips, his thumbs wont be there to protect him from dropping that barbell on his face. you don't pick your dumbbells up with your thumb next to your index finger..

and what i've been told, that putting your legs on the bench or in the air when you do bench press, it means nothing.. it's just for show.. because you should use your legs when you do a bench press

that was impressive. seen a pretty big dude at my gym straight launching some high clapping pull-ups. don't usually see huge guys doing that bodyweight stuff.

and i'd be surprised if fouseyDude does even one clean muscle up on his first day trying.
Very impressive, the only guys I see doing pull ups and stuff like that at my gym are these tall, lean guys. That's why it's good to be well rounded in strength and look like it, there's no point in benching 300 but not being able to do 5 pull ups, in my opinion. 

Contrary to popular belief, girls can only benefit from weight training. So I would recommend looking into Starting Strength or StrongLifts 5x5 for an introduction to the main lifts. I currently have my two female clients doing a routine that revolves around compound lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Bentover Row, Overhead Press, Pull Ups) and they have all seen great results in fat loss as well as shaping their muscles. So then after weight training you'll want to do cardio. Look into HIIT because not only is it more efficient than your standard LISS cardio but it's more effective for fat loss.

Also, it's extremely important to get your diet dialed in. Use the calculators here to calculate your daily needs: http://www.iifym.com/tdee-calculator

you know, girls always think that by working out you get big and bulky, and that is so false!!! women that are big and bulky they eat for it.. and they take all those supplements that make you get bigger.. i have women in my gym that look like those fitness models.. but most important is food, good exercise and cardio (HIIT, like you said) .. and lots of water

he makes a lot of sense.. but there are a couple things i don't really agree with..

like they tell me at my crossfit gym, don't go all out in the first set, because you have to keep a certain level of consistency all through out your work out. that is why you don't always pick a weight that is too heavy and can mess up your form when you get the to tail end of your work out.

there are always trainers walking around, correcting everyone's form because they know how difficult it is to keep a good form and high level when you get tired.. but he is right, like there are dumb crossfitters, there are also dumb bodybuilders or power lifters. but which one he is, i'm not so sure.. here's why..

what i don't get is, if this guy, is certified Olympic lifting, why can't he bench press the way you should? it irks me so bad, that people that have these certifications cant do it right..

look at where his thumbs are.. when you lift, or even pick up something, do you put your thumb next to your index finger? the way he holds his bar, means that if the weight becomes to heavy and it slips, his thumbs wont be there to protect him from dropping that barbell on his face. you don't pick your dumbbells up with your thumb next to your index finger..

and what i've been told, that putting your legs on the bench or in the air when you do bench press, it means nothing.. it's just for show.. because you should use your legs when you do a bench press

You're probably one of the lucky ones that goes to an actual good Crossfit box. And if every box was like yours than yeah I'll be all for Crossfit. Unfortunately, a lot of them aren't...and yeah he brings up a good point about there being dumb bodybuilders and dumb powerlifters as well. Maybe Crossfit just got that rep because the dumb Crossfitters got more attention or something lol.

And yeah, the thumbless grip is no bueno...but that's obviously his warmup set, I hope that he doesn't do that for his working sets. And he probably just put his legs on the bench to better position himself...he puts them on the ground when he's actually lifting though. I still do wanna try out Crossfit one day...see how my endurance stacks up to the rest of these guys! Another interesting video:

Back
Top Bottom