STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

5'9" and $140 lbs. I am really tiny. My goal is to have a body I can be proud of by May 2014 (a 25th birthday present to myself) because I want to be confident in my body and I want my arms to fill out for these tattoos that I really want.
I am not new to working out per se but I dont think I had an effective workout regime. I didnt gain any weight but my muscles changed tone and are stronger.

Basic question is where should I start? What intro workouts would be best?
I thank you!

I realize this question might already be answered to death, if so what page should I look at.

Last edited:
5'9" and $140 lbs. I am really tiny. My goal is to have a body I can be proud of by May 2014 (a 25th birthday present to myself) because I want to be confident in my body and I want my arms to fill out for these tattoos that I really want.
I am not new to working out per se but I dont think I had an effective workout regime. I didnt gain any weight but my muscles changed tone and are stronger.

I thank you!

I realize this question might already be answered to death, if so what page should I look at.

FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED TO EAT!!!!!!!

Bump your calorie intake man. Eat plenty but dont stuff yourself with fast foods bad carbs and unhealthy fats. Do some research on healthy foods high in protein.
switch up your breads to wheat and brown rice, they also have wheat pasta(barilla is good) and dont forget veggies too. It can be done eating healthy with cheat meals here and there, following a lifting routine its important to give your body shape.

i hope that helped in some way...go get it champ and good luck!

Chicken dinner. 96 grams of protein

FIRST OF ALL YOU NEED TO EAT!!!!!!!

Bump your calorie intake man. Eat plenty but dont stuff yourself with fast foods bad carbs and unhealthy fats. Do some research on healthy foods high in protein.
switch up your breads to wheat and brown rice, they also have wheat pasta(barilla is good) and dont forget veggies too. It can be done eating healthy with cheat meals here and there, following a lifting routine its important to give your body shape.

i hope that helped in some way...go get it champ and good luck!

Will do!
Also another thing I forgot to say is that I have a really high metabolism. I used to eat A LOT, now I eat a lot but not as much as I used to. Even then I never gained any weight from just eating.
Could my diet have too many empty calories?
For instance I am Nigerian, like a lot of Africans I have a high starch diet because starch foods are cheap, so when me and my parents migrated from africa the diet stuck.
I know 10 different ways to cook rice (no joke).

Would it be best for me to simply switch my diet since I eat a lot already or should I switch my diet AND increase my caloric intake some more?

Just asking because my brother had the same diet as me and he grew to be huge and athletic. I am sure he had some weight lifting from sports but it wasnt serious.

Today was cardio day bros.

Ended up spraining my ankle after landing on someones foot after I bricked a layup.
mean.gif

There goes the gym for a few days.
ohwell.gif
Once I can walk with just a slight limp, ill still go just to lift. Theres a dude who just had knee surgery at my gym and he hobbles around with a crutch and still gets his lifts in.

I thank you!

In addition to what the poster below your initial post stated, BE CONSISTENT. You can do WHATEVER workout you stumble upon, but if you arent consistent then you arent gonna see ****. Be patient and just keep at it.

If anyone cares...

Recent scientific study showing you burn more fat in a fasted state

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23313101

"Metabolism. 2013 Jan 10. pii: S0026-0495(12)00461-1. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2012.12.008. [Epub ahead of print]
Effects of post-absorptive and postprandial exercise on 24h fat oxidation.
Shimada K, Yamamoto Y, Iwayama K, Nakamura K, Yamaguchi S, Hibi M, Nabekura Y, Tokuyama K.
Source

Doctoral Program in Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan 305-8574.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Fat oxidation during exercise depends on nutritional state, and exercise performed in the post-absorptive state oxidizes more fat than that performed in the postprandial state. However, the effects of exercise on energy metabolism continue during the post-exercise period, and the difference in fat oxidation during exercise may be compensated for during the post-exercise period. The present study compared the effects of an acute exercise bout in the post-absorptive or postprandial state on 24h fat oxidation.
METHODS:

Twelve young male athletes stayed twice in a room-size metabolic chamber for 24h indirect calorimetry in a randomized repeated-measure design. Before or after breakfast, i.e. in the post-absorptive or postprandial state, subjects exercised at 50% VO(2) max for 60min.
RESULTS:

During the 60min of exercise, energy expenditure in the two exercise trials were equivalent, but exercise in the post-absorptive state was performed with lower RQ compared with that in the postprandial state (P0.5). However, accumulated 24h fat oxidation was higher (P

Just starting my first ever bulk while intermittent fasting. Been eating like a rabbit for way too long. Time to man up & do this damn thing. Trying to get gorilla status right now. Lots of dense calories, high protein, & moderate healthy fats/complex carbs. Throw a cheat day in there & if I'm up for it or I feel I deserve it, i'll have a cheat meal during the week. 
grin.gif

This is going to be a trial & error type deal. Going from now until mid-march or maybe all of march. Then shed a few of those pesky fat pounds & excess water weight for the summer time. Hope to put on 2-3 pounds of legit muscle in this time frame since its been a couple years since I did a legit bulk. If you think 2-3 pounds of muscle isn't alot, think of it as 2-3 pounds of steak & imagine that you just put that on your frame. ****. 
pimp.gif

I would like to give myself a 6 hour eating window to limit fat gain but im gonna have to consume roughly 3,200-3,400 calories a day. 2,900 is maintenance. Looks like I'm gonna have to do the traditional 8 hour window, but if I have to do 9 hours or so I will. An extra hour or 2 won't hurt.

Current Stats

Height - 5'11''

Weight - 197

BF % - Around 12 give or take.

Bench - 260

Deadlift - 425

Squat - 315

Current Routine 

Week 1 - 3 sets of 3 + body building routine

Week 2 - 5 sets of 2 + body building routine

Week 3 - 6 sets of 1 + body building routine

Week 4 - Deload week. 3 sets of 10 across the board. Keep it simple.

Repeat

Cardio will be done 3-4x a week. Just something moderate & simple to stay in some sort of shape & so its not a pain in the balls to get back into when its time to cut down. Keep the fat gain to a minimum also.

Supplements

Protein - Milk & Egg protein. It doesn't really matter what kind you get. Protein is protein. Its all supplement industry b.s.

Creatine - i have basic creatine mono but i may switch to universal torrent. Ive had nice results from it in the past. 

Pre-workout - Right now Animal Rage & Universal Shock Therapy

BCAA's, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Chromium, Fish oil, Vitamins b12, E, & D. Before & after meals for even more insulin sensitivity. Make sure all those carbs go straight to my goals.

- I'm gonna run a natty test booster maybe starting next week. Leaning towards purus labs d-pol & animal stak. Then Animal m-stak after. 

Can someone explain that article?

I'm no durden but essentially it says your body burns more of your body fat when you work out in a fasted state as opposed to eating anytime preworkout.

I don't do IF but this pretty much solidifies the argument that one should not eat prior to working out in the morning. You'll burn more bf and its not like you cant get Your 3+ meals in after. I've always wondered what the correct answer was.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong

Will be going back a couple pages to rep

Last edited:
I'm no durden but essentially it says your body burns more of your body fat when you work out in a fasted state as opposed to eating anytime preworkout.

I don't do IF but this pretty much solidifies the argument that one should not eat prior to working out in the morning. You'll burn more bf and its not like you cant get Your 3+ meals in after. I've always wondered what the correct answer was.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong

Havent seen durden around. He's normally active in this thread
Will be going back a couple pages to rep

So I would like to get into better shape as others have mentioned here before. I am about 5'10 and between 167-171 lbs. I try to run to work about 4 times a week. (The run is about 1.5 miles) and am now looking to start the gym. I don't have too much of a belly but it's there. And I also have some fat around my waist (Muffin top is what they call it?) But not too much. I am looking to lean out while also gaining some tone and muscle. I know dieting is very important, so I've cut out soda for a few months now. I've also tried to cut out white rice as I tend to eat it with mostly all my meals. Maybe I can just eat smaller portions of rice. Stopped eating snacks (cookies, candy, etc) I've read a lot of good information here, but just need some clarity. Where should I start? I'm tired of taking off my shirt and being self conscious about the way I look. I don't know how to post pictures here, but I will try and fool around tomorrow so you guys can determine how much work is needed. Thanks again for all the info and I look forward to your input.

Did legs last night. I feel like i hit a wall any advice on how to get over it?

I have slowly been working my way up. I do legs once a week and the past 3 weeks i maxed at 305lbs. I got 2 sets of 2 reps in and on the last one i got light headed when i racked. I am dying to get to 315lb. Thats my goal but i can't seem to get there.

Any options?

Go lighter and more reps for a bit to build strength before maxing? Maybe do 225 -245 for 15-20 reps until fail?
Work legs twice a week? I do deadlifts on sundays usually so technically my legs get work twice a week but should i sqaut a little on deadlift days? I usually do box jumps on deadlift days.

Usually after i max i come back down and get a ton of reps in just to kill my legs. Yesterday i did

Bar - 10 reps
135lbs - 15 reps
185 - 15 reps
225 - 10 reps
275 - 7 reps
295 - 5 reps
305 2 sets - 2 reps each

Came down to 225lbs - 15 reps and then 135lbs and did 20 reps

Got done with legs this morning.  It was glorious.  Personal best on my squats.....3 sets 20/205. 

I'll be on a job site all day, so I'm not gonna make the same mistake that I made last time.  FOOD PREP!!

LUNCH and DINNER

It's been 3 weeks that I've been 100% with both working out and diet.  9 more weeks baby!

I'm starting to develop my quads.  I'm happy with the progress.

Last edited:
for every species on earth, a diet translates to what they habitually eat for survival... for us, a diet is a short term goal... to truly be an animal, make your diet your habit - rayray3thousand :smokin

If anyone cares...

Recent scientific study showing you burn more fat in a fasted state

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23313101
"Metabolism. 2013 Jan 10. pii: S0026-0495(12)00461-1. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2012.12.008. [Epub ahead of print]
Effects of post-absorptive and postprandial exercise on 24h fat oxidation.
Shimada K, Yamamoto Y, Iwayama K, Nakamura K, Yamaguchi S, Hibi M, Nabekura Y, Tokuyama K.
Source

Doctoral Program in Sports Medicine, Graduate School of Comprehensive Human Sciences, University of Tsukuba, Tennodai 1-1-1, Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan 305-8574.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:

Fat oxidation during exercise depends on nutritional state, and exercise performed in the post-absorptive state oxidizes more fat than that performed in the postprandial state. However, the effects of exercise on energy metabolism continue during the post-exercise period, and the difference in fat oxidation during exercise may be compensated for during the post-exercise period. The present study compared the effects of an acute exercise bout in the post-absorptive or postprandial state on 24h fat oxidation.
METHODS:

Twelve young male athletes stayed twice in a room-size metabolic chamber for 24h indirect calorimetry in a randomized repeated-measure design. Before or after breakfast, i.e. in the post-absorptive or postprandial state, subjects exercised at 50% VO(2) max for 60min.
RESULTS:

During the 60min of exercise, energy expenditure in the two exercise trials were equivalent, but exercise in the post-absorptive state was performed with lower RQ compared with that in the postprandial state (P<0.01). The time of exercise relative to breakfast did not affect 24h energy expenditure (P>0.5). However, accumulated 24h fat oxidation was higher (P<0.05) and that of carbohydrate oxidation was lower (P<0.05) when exercise was performed in the post-absorptive state.
CONCLUSIONS:

Compared with exercise performed in the postprandial state, exercise performed in the post-absorptive state oxidized more fat and saved more carbohydrate in the body, without affecting 24h energy expenditure."

this post is going to go over the heads of soooo many people.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Great info, even though it's usually a bit tedious to decipher these "studies" lol.
Did legs last night. I feel like i hit a wall any advice on how to get over it?

I have slowly been working my way up. I do legs once a week and the past 3 weeks i maxed at 305lbs. I got 2 sets of 2 reps in and on the last one i got light headed when i racked. I am dying to get to 315lb. Thats my goal but i can't seem to get there.

Any options?

Go lighter and more reps for a bit to build strength before maxing? Maybe do 225 -245 for 15-20 reps until fail?
Work legs twice a week? I do deadlifts on sundays usually so technically my legs get work twice a week but should i sqaut a little on deadlift days? I usually do box jumps on deadlift days.
Usually after i max i come back down and get a ton of reps in just to kill my legs. Yesterday i did

Bar - 10 reps
135lbs - 15 reps
185 - 15 reps
225 - 10 reps
275 - 7 reps
295 - 5 reps
305 2 sets - 2 reps each

Came down to 225lbs - 15 reps and then 135lbs and did 20 reps
How deep do you squat?  That could be part of the issue, and you're doing a lot of sets (looks kinda like my old way of benching).

Back
Top Bottom