STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

to follow up on durden's comments

why the behind the neck press is one of the most useless lifts from a scientific POV

knees past toes myth

Knees past the toes isnt ALWAYs bad. It depends on limb lengthS and whats being done.

In regards to behind the beck presses, never in my life have i seen any evidence that it has a purpose. Its cons farrr outweigh any pros it may have. Its just not advisable.

Also, the "pick some up and put it down" mentality isnt right. At its core, exercise isnt an art form. Its science and that mindset doesnt lend itself to progress. Ive found that the dismissive attitude is typically used by those who cant rationally form an argument for their aide. Just my opinion though.

I never understood people with opinions like yours. Go to the gym (traditional or crossfit) and lift. Why make it so complicated. You learn as you go and have some fun. No matter what you do in the gym (novice or expert) your going to make gainz. You don't need science book and a lab partner to know that. This science stuff is the reason why so many people are put off by exercising.

Aka CT Fletcher mentality. "Aint no such thing as overtraining".

I believe it. 
pimp.gif
 You're doing SOMETHING. Theres ways to be more efficient, but the point is, YOURE DOING SOMETHING.

I believe it. :pimp:  You're doing SOMETHING. Theres ways to be more efficient, but the point is, YOURE DOING SOMETHING.

Just for the sake of discussion, how does one become more efficient?

For example chest day, experimenting with what workouts work for you/which dont and making a plan for the workouts that day. Working out within a certain time, figuring out rest times and all that blah blah.

Efficient doesnt necesarily mean in regard to a specific workout, it could but thats not what I mean. Efficient in the whole workout/experience in the gym for that day. Not wasting time talking to people, grouping certain workouts that compliment each other and not waste energy, etc etc.

I believe it. :pimp:  You're doing SOMETHING. Theres ways to be more efficient, but the point is, YOURE DOING SOMETHING.

I think he meant optimal rather than efficient...

For example... You can build legs with Leg Press, but I'd consider the Squat as a more optimal exercise.

In regards to behind the beck presses, never in my life have i seen any evidence that it has a purpose.

Snatch practice, in terms of performance it has a purpose. Wouldn't advise a novice to do it though.

:lol: @ advising against working out chest/back on the same day. :lol:

Last edited:
Knees past the toes isnt ALWAYs bad. It depends on limb lengthS and whats being done.

In regards to behind the beck presses, never in my life have i seen any evidence that it has a purpose. Its cons farrr outweigh any pros it may have. Its just not advisable.

Also, the "pick some up and put it down" mentality isnt right. At its core, exercise isnt an art form. Its science and that mindset doesnt lend itself to progress. Ive found that the dismissive attitude is typically used by those who cant rationally form an argument for their aide. Just my opinion though.

I never understood people with opinions like yours. Go to the gym (traditional or crossfit) and lift. Why make it so complicated. You learn as you go and have some fun. No matter what you do in the gym (novice or expert) your going to make gainz. You don't need science book and a lab partner to know that. This science stuff is the reason why so many people are put off by exercising.

So you won't get hurt

You dont understand people wanting to do things in a smart, safe, and efficient way when it comes to their own body? No one is making it complicated, because the body and how it moves is already complicated. Everyones trying to make it LESS complicated.

Learning as you go and having fun is perfectly fine, under the assumption that what youre doing isnt harmful. Just like reading a chemistry book doesnt automatically make you a chemist, reading an exercise book doesnt mean youre an expert at it. The field experience and knowledge gained through doing is just as,if not more, important than the knowledge gained through text. Also, just because youre doing something doesnt mean youll automatically make gains.

I completely disagree with the last sentence. I would say that a very small percentage of people ive ever talked to have dismissed exercise and fitness because its too science-y. The ones who have said something of that nature were simply making excuses. Have you ever seen someone with poor form or been given advice on your form? Did you dismiss the advice and just do your thing or heed the advice and find out the advice was helpful? Thats what the "science" in exercise is for... so people dont **** up all their joints.

In regards to behind the beck presses, never in my life have i seen any evidence that it has a purpose.

Snatch practice, in terms of performance it has a purpose. Wouldn't advise a novice to do it though.

:lol: @ advising against working out chest/back on the same day. :lol:

Good point, wasnt even thinking of that.

Ill defer to you on this one, Is the BTN press in snatch practice used more for pressing strength or reinforcing shoulder position?

I'm a total noob to all the fitness stuff but ya gotta start somewhere.

I've heard many "myths", like it's bad to drink water directly after exercising? Or cold water is bad to drink when working out?

Any of that true? Again my apology for the noob question
embarassed.gif

Just got a copy of Perform Better! in the mail today, I highly suggest you guys check it out.

They offer everything  you could ever need, weights, racks, sleds, prowlers, hell even a pit shark. If I ever get the dough to open my own little hardcore gym, I will for sure be going through them.

Just got a copy of Perform Better! in the mail today, I highly suggest you guys check it out.

They offer everything  you could ever need, weights, racks, sleds, prowlers, hell even a pit shark. If I ever get the dough to open my own little hardcore gym, I will for sure be going through them.

I can totally vouch for Perform Better. Our facility is designed and an official supplier of Perform Better.

Perform better equipment?

What are you guys referring to? :nerd:

Due to the explosion of CrossFit and Barbell Clubs (Strength and Conditioning), there has been an explosion of equipment companies. If you do plan to open a gym, I suggest shopping around for the best price even if it means getting things from different places.

For example, a lot of gyms get killed by flooring. Equipment spots sell 4x6 stall mats at $60-80 a pop. You can find those at a Tractor Supply for $39.99.

Wish we could get Rogue everything, but that will put you in the hole real quick, :lol:

Ill defer to you on this one, Is the BTN press in snatch practice used more for pressing strength or reinforcing shoulder position?

It is more for reinforcing shoulder position.

Last edited:
I said it before, but I'm really surprised that there haven't been more gyms that open up that have a similar business model to that of MetroFlex.

If you got the capital and the space, I'd have to think that you'd be sitting on a gold mine if you were serious about opening one up.

I said it before, but I'm really surprised that there haven't been more gyms that open up that have a similar business model to that of MetroFlex.

If you got the capital and the space, I'd have to think that you'd be sitting on a gold mine if you were serious about opening one up.

I'd love to lift in a warehouse setting like that. Only thing I'd miss is the coeds at my schools rec center :evil:

geezus quest bars are tasty. I tried them for the first time at the Arnold. Got maaaaaaaaad free bars. things are legit. Are they the best things out? or naaaw?

pretty much but you get sick of em pretty fast if you eat too many

its hard to beat high protein, high fiber, low carb, no artificial ingredients, and no sugar.

truthfully, i'm not a morning person and i try to squeeze in as much sleep as possible :lol:

i typically have fairly long days. my schedule usually goes like:

wake up at 6:30am, leave by 7:00. get to work around 8:45. leave work at 6:35pm. gym, then study. get back home at around 11:00pm. usually only get ~6 hours of sleep every night :x

i mealprep my lunch, snacks, and dinner, but just don't have anything prepared for right in the morning.
1:45 commute in the morning? That's brutal.

I cook a whole bunch of sunny side up eggs (10-12) and turkey bacon on the weekend. I wake up at 6:20, take out 2 eggs and a couple strips of bacon and heat it up the microwave.

Or, you can pack that for when you get to your office.

I like protein and healthy fats for breakfast.
Only 2 eggs a day?

How is knees past toes bad form? That's the natural way of squatting to do something.

I do both, BTN just to switch it up sometimes. Gives my delts a good stretch and minimizes chest involvement. As long as I'm properly warmed up and use strict form that benefits me without increasing the risk of injury (I don't go literally behind the neck or below 90 degrees for that matter) I feel like I'm strengthening my shoulders. I wouldn't max out or anything, but if utilized properly I like them.
I don't see the advantage beyond just not getting bored. I never get bored of OHP though so I'm set.

I'd say more people are put off by a lack of progress or by getting hurt. Science combats both of those.

I'm not sure that there's actually a big enough market for those types of gyms. Most commercial gyms thrive on having a bunch of members sign up who barely use the equipment.

Back
Top Bottom