Stephen A. Smith Apologizes about Domestic Violence Views

I don't understand how "provoke" can be such a trigger word. Whether you use words, hands or weapons, all of which can be used to "provoke".
Provoke is a vague word that puts some kind of fault on the person who gets beat or whatever. Some provocation ( physical abuse) is reasonable for some sort of retaliation. But then you have random provocation like giving somebody the wrong look. When you don't differentiate and lay out what you mean clearly people are going to assume things.

Last edited:
I don't understand how "provoke" can be such a trigger word. Whether you use words, hands or weapons, all of which can be used to "provoke".
Peovoke is a vague word that puts some kind of fault on the person who gets beat or whatever. Some provocation ( physical abuse) is reasonable for some sort of retaliation. But then you have random provocation like giving somebody the wrong look. When you don't differentiate and lay out what you mean clearly people are going to assume things.

I think we should clearly define what counts for "provocation" in this thread. That way we can avoid using a blanket term that may include behavior that is acceptable for some while being unacceptable to others.

Or we could replace "provocation" with another, wholly appropriate word for this debate. What would that word/phrase be?

Let's make sure we're speaking clearly, so that we're not just speaking in extremes or insulting one another or making blanket statements about one another.

Funny how you'd focus on one word in which SAS already said was wrong and not EVERYTHING else he said for that 10-15mins. Throw all that out the window and pretend he already said nobody should out their hands in anyone, let's just act angry and some how throw in rape their too. :lol:

Then take a domestic violence class or hang out with a battered man/woman and see how they react to certain things.

Give me a break, dude. I saw my mother thrown down 2 flights of stairs when I was 5 years old.

I guarantee you it will be the anti-SAS dudes who will be first to use the "provoke" argument against itself to trivialize your mom's situation and make their own petty points about semantics.

So the answer to my question is NO.  Thank you for your honesty, you have been speaking on a specific topic and issue that you didn't even bother to watch. You just wanted to post a bunch of nonsense to join in the Michelle Beadle bandwagon. 

Are there anymore "dudes" on here that would be willing to admit that they are apart of the NT feminist movement??  Now's the time to come out into the open. 
So I need to watch an entire episode of first take before I can comment on what SAS said?
Yes you do.  You are speaking on SAS's comments and you didn't even watch the segment.  As you said earlier, you are "uneducated" on the topic at hand and instead of doing research on the matter and actually watching the clip you would rather wallow around in your own ignorance, like a pig in slop. 

I asked you a direct question, that required a simple yes or no.  Instead of giving me that, you gave me some roundabout excuse.  You would have been better off just saying you got stuck in line on Friday at the Quick Cash Check location instead ducking my question.  Again, I have no problem with you and others leading the NT feminist movement here on the boards, whatever works for you and the crew.  I and others would just appreciate it if in the future you would investigate particular matters further like this one before speaking on them.  Either that, or just stay in S&T and cheer on the Nats like me as they make the push to win the division and beat out the Braves this year. 

Funny how you'd focus on one word in which SAS already said was wrong and not EVERYTHING else he said for that 10-15mins. Throw all that out the window and pretend he already said nobody should out their hands in anyone, let's just act angry and some how throw in rape their too. :lol:

Because he apologized for using that word, not his entire 10-15 rant. Isn't the topic of this thread Stephen A Smith apologizes? My lord

again provoke does not equate violence ... To me provoke is talking **** pushing buttons to get me to react or get angry ... Does that mean I have to punch the lights out? No ... But to someone else it might ... The things I have been saying is simple ... Walk away don't result to violence.

A lot of people are saying provoke means she hit me so imma put hands ... That's BS ... And even when she hits a male although I can see why someone might hit back ... You have to take into consideration who r u hitting n can you defuse restrain or walk away ...

Why do you think provoking automatically means inflicting violence?

Provoke means to stimulate or give rise to a reaction or emotion in someone. The reason why people are deemed as adults is because you have the know how and cognition to assess a situation. As an adult, if you provoke a situation you should be mature enough to know what ramifications the provocation you are dealing out can illicit.

Man, I guess I'm just old school. You don't ever put your hands on a woman. I just don't understand the thrill one would get from beating a person who you know you can throw through a wall.

Because he apologized for using that word, not his entire 10-15 rant. Isn't the topic of this thread Stephen A Smith apologizes? My lord

And where does rape fall into any of that? It doesn't. Beadle brought up the reach statement for the sake of attention even though it's not anywhere near related to even her initial tweet. But keep going and arguing for arguments sake

Last edited:
Are those women saying "rape me?"

Stop using black and white arguments for a very grey area.

How many times have you heard a woman say "rape me, take advantage of me?"

How many tomes have you heard a woman say "hit me. I dare you."

How many times have women cranked off rape by raping another man?

How many times have women cranked off a fight by hitting a man?

You know damb well there's a difference between someone dressing sexy and provocative... As opposed to someone antagonizing someone...

Plenty of women follow guys around, poking and prodding asking to get hit.

Its sage to assume women aren't following men around saying "ease rape me"
look at the context.

You'll argue context in another thread then go semantics in this one.

1. They were talking about Ray Rice and his wife.

2. She hit him first.

3. SAS brought up provocation. In the context of antagonizing a man...

4. The fact that everyone else can understand that besides Beadle and the round-rounders let's me know what's up.

We're going in circles though...

We all know rape =\= a woman hitting a man and him hitting her back

Y'all got it... NT round-and-rounders are in full effect...

Playing devils advocate in every thread just to show how intelligently they can think outside the box.

This pretty much sums it all up

And where does rape fall into any of that? It doesn't. Beadle brought it up. But keep going and arguing for arguments sake

Ok? It doesn't, I missed your point. Mentioning women can't hit men doesn't fall into that because that's not what he apologized for, but yet it's still being discussed. I guess only certain people can venture off onto tangents.

Then take a domestic violence class or hang out with a battered man/woman and see how they react to certain things.

Give me a break, dude. I saw my mother thrown down 2 flights of stairs when I was 5 years old.

You said you don't understand how provoke can be a triggering word and I gave you some options on how you can possibly understand better. My bad if I offended you.

I guarantee you it will be the anti-SAS dudes who will be first to use the "provoke" argument against itself to trivialize your mom's situation and make their own petty points about semantics.
Did that make sense to you?

Yes you do.  You are speaking on SAS's comments and you didn't even watch the segment.  As you said earlier, you are "uneducated" on the topic at hand and instead of doing research on the matter and actually watching the clip you would rather wallow around in your own ignorance, like a pig in slop. 

I asked you a direct question, that required a simple yes or no.  Instead of giving me that, you gave me some roundabout excuse.  You would have been better off just saying you got stuck in line on Friday at the Quick Cash Check location instead ducking my question.  Again, I have no problem with you and others leading the NT feminist movement here on the boards, whatever works for you and the crew.  I and others would just appreciate it if in the future you would investigate particular matters further like this one before speaking on them.  Either that, or just stay in S&T and cheer on the Nats like me as they make the push to win the division and beat out the Braves this year. 

Except there was no issue with what he said before that... :rolleyes The problem was what he said in that segment. SAS could've been PERFECT in the segments before the one posted but that's not what we're discussing. The problem was that one statement - which he backed up when he had the chance to clarify. The problem is that statement is not just something taken out of context - look at all the clowns, including you, in here defending it, jumping at scenarios where women should be beat. It's like someone saying "I'm not trying to be racist but..." before saying something racist. It doesn't automatically nullify what they're about to say. Is that so hard to comprehend?

I'm assuming you didn't say anything about Sterling's quote because you didn't hear the ENTIRE conversation right? Did you throw on a cape to defend Sterling as well?

Yet I'm the "emotional" one for being logical :lol:

Man, I guess I'm just old school. You don't ever put your hands on a woman. I just don't understand the thrill one would get from beating a person who you know you can throw through a wall.

As a man YOU SHOULD NEVER put hands on a woman. But the fact that women are absolved of ALL blame if and when that occurs is alarming. It's as we have undertones in society saying "women don't know any better"

As a man YOU SHOULD NEVER put hands on a woman. But the fact that women are absolved of ALL blame if and when that occurs is alarming. It's as we have undertones in society saying "women don't know any better"

If yelling provokes me, my woman shouldn't be surprised if I lay the hands?

The real question is who said its cool to beat a chick, just dont get caught in the Street Fighter endless combo trying to restrain the her. 

NT, where extremes collide.

Right?

Because every time someone hits someone or whatever it has to of been provoked. There is no suck thing and people doing it just because. Don't let the police reports of random violence and commonsense fool you. NT says otherwise.

Let's throw out all logic and commonsense, for the sake of argument of course, and pretend that everything happens for the same reason and every situation is the same.

Last edited:
NT, where extremes collide.

Right?

Because every time someone hits someone or whatever it has to of been provoked. There is no suck thing and people doing it just because. Don't let the police reports of random violence and commonsense fool you. NT says otherwise.

Right?

Because Stephen A Smith apologizing for using a word in context he wasn't aware of means he was apologizing for saying women shouldn't hit men

Amazing

@mgrand15 you already admitted you didn't watch the entirety of the First Take segment on Friday.  You just wanted to join the Michelle Beadle brigade and try to usher in some sort of NT feminist movement. I and others however see right threw you and are not going to allow that to happen. 

If you want to keep posting that nonsense, find yourself another message board champ.  Also, I did speak on the Sterling situation.  Just like him, you are completely wrong and in the wrong.  Go Nats!!

Back
Top Bottom