Steve Jobs: Flash Is No Longer Necessary

Originally Posted by AceBoogie

agreed.

at the end of the day, big business wins, and we reluctantly adapt.

truth 
tired.gif

Originally Posted by bustinxjustin

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

the last thing i've bought from apple was a 2nd gen ipod nano.

what i dont get is why people can't go on with their lives without labeling people as fanboys? why are people always trying to open another persons eyes to steve jobs being evil? you guys think that you're the only ones who know anything because you read a couple blogs?

instead of seeing the point that jobs was trying to make, you chalk it up to apple wanting to make money. ignoring that flash is simply not the right platform to develop for mobile devices. but no, you don't truly want advancement in technology. you want to remain comfortable. Do you think html5 will ever move anywhere if the big players don't make the necessary sacrifices? You think "oh itll get big in 5 years and ill jump on it then." well guess what, without doing this now, it wont be 5 years when html5 gets more wide spread, itll be 10 years maybe never, and you'll still be using the same crappy flash.
Truth... [/thread]

let da market dictate da technology.....not steve jobs.

where the hell do you think google and microsoft want to be at? its not just steve jobs. the entire industry knows what direction it's heading in.

it's this whole blind hate of steve jobs that has you guys talking out of your *** where you can't listen to a damn thing he says. You just have to reject it, when all the platforms you guys support also are heading in the same direction.

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by FinesseSosa

Im not talkin about everyone else. Im talkin bout Apple. Its the way they do it and yall a pay for whatever. Its like they could put ANYTHING out and yall a just buy it. Just cuz its Apple. You know it....
laugh.gif
The Apple dudes are running a damn continuity program with their products. Its not really genius marketing its more like preying on the weak minded people by putting bells and whistles on the same product and selling it back to them. Ipad really? Whats the point of having a macbook and an iphone and then buying its ******ed stepson too?
Its crazy cause Im sitting back looking at this dude run a cult almost like an us against them (pc) campaign. You only see him every blue moon and when you do he has that signature black turtleneck. Your not buying apple products your buying steve jobs. He can sell anything and dweebs will buy it. Bravo

windows XP, Vista, 7.. hmmmmm...? 
whats the point of buying an iPad?.. nothing really.. you can ask the same question for people with multiple shoes, a single person with 3 cars, going on vacations, buying a ps3 & a 360?.. theres no "point" other than YOU wanting it.. its a damn luxury, not a necessity.. what don't people get about this?  no one if forcing you to buy Apple's "garbage".. relax 
grin.gif

edit:  i'm not going to disagree with you how the majority of Apples customers are casual users who do nothing more w/ their MBPs but browse FB, DL music, and put cool stickers on their covers.. yea, their suckers.. i see them all the time @ airports & coffee shops, i LOL sometimes.. but it doesn't bother enough to vent out like some of yall do on here.. i swear ya'll are losing sleep cuz of Apple. 
laugh.gif

If I were to buy a Iphone 4g this june, it would not be because i can now watch "videos" on the go but, to combine the IPOD and cell phone i have thats never being used.

i bring my Ipod w/ me more than my phone.

once again, King Jobs tells his customers what he thinks they need.. and they eat it up.

the best part was when he accused adobe of flash being a closed format.

really? you of all people steve jobs.

Originally Posted by AG 47

ninjahood said:
AG 47 said:
You couldn't pay me to get another HTC phone. Talk about poor quality phones.

laugh.gif

and i wonder what phone you have that you're claimin something so preposterous...

I have a Blackberry Tour. No crashes, no freezing, no Android acting up. All my phone does is work when I need it to. You know what I'm saying?

the only good thing about the tour is the keyboard. everything else is a joke of a phone, especially that aging OS.

you don't quit a job without securing a new job first

you don't quit using technology without securing the new technology

simple as that

software and app wise adobe runs the CURRENT industry, quite sure Jobs doesn't like that

lets be serious

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by ThunderChunk69

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

bash all you want

his logic is sound

his reasons valid
agreed, he has to coddle his customers,
they're not ready for options, custom-ability, vulnerabilities, and still not ready for multitasking

apple sucks, thankfully people are figuring that out slowly but surely.
lol what are you talking about? It's the complete opposite.. apple is going to take over..

The Dauqs wrote:
finnns2003 wrote:
I am usually very neutral on these topics, being in the IT field... But very interesting that people bashing Jobs have failed to comment on security, battery life, efficiency, and Flash's poor performance on mobile devices.
Exactly. In its current state, flash is just not meant for a mobile device. I'll further judgement until they release the next version. What Job's wrote is true, and it doesn't take a "fanboy" to realize that.

I agree 100%. I am also in the IT field (Network Admin) and I have made my argument time and time again. Why people argue the need for Flash on mobile devices is beyond me. It is proven to be bad on the battery life and the promise of a flash alternative to be ported to mobile devices still has the people hanging. Here it is Steve Jobs is the voice for an alternative be that a different format and people really miss flash all of a sudden.

TheHealthInspector wrote:
proper english wrote:
FinesseSosa wrote:
At The End of the day Steve Jobs doesnt care about your. he cares about your money. Until you people realize it. Apple will keep winning. 

what the hell? 
laugh.gif
 doesn't this apply to Bill Gates & 99% of the world's business moguls as well?
where do ya'll come up with this 
grin.gif

laugh.gif
 seriously, its like people wanna come in here and tell us that jobs should be doing whats best for the tech community and us as consumers

maybe he should accept a 1 dollar salary like that ford guy 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I am pretty sure Steve Jobs makes little salary and makes his money off of the stocks he holds with his company. 

IM A HELION wrote:
You have to be a fanboy to agree with what Steve Jobs wrote? News to me.

Flash is going the way of the do-do and I don't see how you can argue with what he said in reference to battery life, having a third party layer, and security. HTML5 may be a ways out, but that doesn't it mean that you should keep supporting a faulty system because it's the standard.

Adobe wants to make money. Apple wants to make money too. Best case scenario for Adobe is for the iPhone and iPad to adopt flash, but it ain't happenin. With all the problems surrounding that platform (when it comes to mobile devices) it seemed like a no-brainer for Steve Jobs to hit them with a verbal stiffarm.

If flash still runs rampant on desktops and laptops, then fine. It's what flash was made for anyway. But it will never succeed on phones, and that was the point Steve was trying to make.

And it's not even lookin good for Adobe, seeing as how all the major players are adopting flash alternatives. It's really nobody's fault but Adobe's that they're always late to the party.

All companies are in it for the money, but I feel as if Apple cares about the consumer more. That is just my opinion. Lets look at the Apple Store as an example. Not only an avenue to sell their own products (oh because when they were down no one else wanted to) but a great wealth of knowledge can be obtained there, repairs can take place, and there is little to no run around with said repairs.  Now lets look at Microsoft, weren't they supposed to be opening stores close to Apple stores to create competition? 

Just an example.

The rise of HTML 5 has brought one key thing into light that people need to pay attention to the faults of Flash. I really can't understand why people see this as a bad thing. Maybe if someone else besides Apple were pushing it then it wouldn't be hated so much. 

All Ready wrote:
you don't quit a job without securing a new job first

you don't quit using technology without securing the new technology

simple as that 

software and app wise adobe runs the CURRENT industry, quite sure Jobs doesn't like that

lets be serious

Not sure where you are getting your facts from, but if Flash isn't running the app industry. If they were then it is over for them

IN CONCLUSION:

People are making many arguments that I can't seem to understand. Roughly once a year Apple releases a new model to their phone line that NO ONE can seem to beat. ONE PHONE A YEAR, to other companies how many phones? Sure they have a drive of making money, their products aren't the cheapest, but their products work better than most and thats why people get them for the most part. 

Flash now their is a competitor and we know you don't like that. but lets see we have pointed out the faults in Flash time and time again and that seems to go over peoples heads. How about schools, work, companies blocking sites that use Flash heavily? I have already been to meetings talking about what sites can be lifted off the ban list on certain browsers due to the HTML 5 usage. So now people can view these Flash-less sites (when they once couldn't). You can even get better battery life out of your mobile devices.... so how is HTML 5 bad? 

I am not sure voicing my argument is even worth the time anymore on here, but I look forward to seeing how HTML 5 grows and I don't mind Steve Jobs telling me about it, I am educated to do my own research on the subject, but without a man of his knowledge, character, and position, I may not have listened in the first place.

let da market dictate da technology.....not steve jobs.

The market cannot dictate technology. We (the market) can push for wanting our devices to do an entire slew of new things, but if the manufacturers all choose not to do it, we're going to be forced to buy whatever is out. Steve Jobs, at least, wants the market to progress. Whereas the competition is seemingly comfortable with producing the same old, inefficient stuff. If you think Apple doesn't get the industry moving, you are a total idiot. The iPhone single handedly pushed the cell phone market to implement a wave of "iPhone killers" and other mediocre touch-screen interfaced cell phones. The Macbook multi-touch trackpad is even starting to be emulated--poorly--by other manufacturers.

Fact of the matter is, if it were not for Apple and Steve Jobs, the tech industry would be much different than it is now, and not in a sense that could possibly be construed as beneficial to the consumer/market/us.  
FTR I use a Macbook, iPod touch, and a Blackberry.

Apple has the balls to make (risky) moves and their competitors don't.
Apple attempts to create trends while their competitors simply follow them. It's a very risky business model but the rewards are high as well.
Apple is always a quarter away from implosion. When Apple falls out of grace they will not wither away slowly. They'll go down quick.

Whether Jobs is right or wrong will be evidenced by how well his products succeed. The iPads early success does show that a certain segment of the mobile PC popualtion can do without many of the "standards" that some hold so dear.

some of you guys are focusing on the wrong things.
closed off to the real world.
+!## flash and H.272303u92u39uiohdioqhjnolwhatever.

apples not %!**+#% with adobe cause they wont make too much money. basically.

i wouldnt do it either.

you think steve jobs is cryin now? wait till adobe actually pushes flash out on for da androids..and i mean all of em

with da 2.1 upgrade to all mid tier phones..its gonna put da screws on da iphone to conform.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

you think steve jobs is cryin now? wait till adobe actually pushes flash out on for da androids..and i mean all of em

with da 2.1 upgrade to all mid tier phones..its gonna put da screws on da iphone to conform.

Apple just sold damn near 9 million phones last quarter. They're officially the #1 American phone manufacturer right now. Is that saying anything to y'all?

If he's crying, it's definitely diamond tears.

Flash is a battery hog and there's nothing I want to do on my phone that flash is necessary for. I have enough battery issues as is.
grin.gif

Back
Top Bottom