Steve Nash and Phil Jackson go tic for tat

This isn't some young Deron Williams or Kevin Durant led team.  This is Steve Nash and the Suns.  He's far too smart to be swayed by Jackson's words.  Hopefully, the refs won't be trigger happy with the whistle 'cause of what Phil says.

EDIT:  My Bad.  NT is one of the few sites that uses a black background.

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- When the Los Angeles Lakers clinched a berth in the Western Conference finals on Monday, Lakers coach Phil Jackson had nothing but praise for his team's upcoming opponent, the Phoenix Suns, saying that the Suns are playing their best basketball of the season.

nba_g_pjax_65.jpg

Jackson

592.jpg

Nash

On Friday, Jackson retreated from praise and started posturing when asked if it was difficult to simulate the Suns and their star point guard Steve Nash in practice during the long layoff before Game 1.

"Yeah, because you can't carry the ball like he does in practice," Jackson said, smiling as he moved his arm and turned over his palm, the symbol for an illegal carry in the unofficial sign language of basketball. "You can't pick that ball up and run with it."

The 36-year-old Nash is averaging 17.8 points and 9.0 assists per game in the postseason after averaging 13.8 points and 9.0 assists in four regular-season games against L.A.

[h4]IT'S L.A., AND IT'S LIVE[/h4]
For more about the Lakers and coverage of the complete Los Angeles sports scene, visitESPNLosAngeles.com. »

Jackson called Nash the Suns' "provocateur" in their offense and said the point guard was an equal threat as both a scorer and a distributor, so the Lakers' defense would have to "balance out," stopping both aspects of the 14-year veteran's game.

"He's a great passer, great penetrator and he's a great shooter," Kobe Bryant said. "You put those things all in one player and now you're in a situation where you have to pick your poison. They surrounded him with great shooters and finishers so it makes things very challenging."

Before the playoffs began, Jackson was fined $35,000 by the league for comments made about Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant, after he said, "As far as the calls that he gets on the floor, I think a lot of the referees are treating him like a superstar; he gets to the line easy and often."

At the time, it was the second instance that Jackson was fined by the league in two weeks after he called out veteran referee Bennett Salvatore by name after a late-season game against San Antonio.

NBA commissioner David Stern addressed Jackson's fines prior to Game 3 of the Lakers-Thunder first-round series.

[h4]More on the Lakers[/h4]
lal.gif

For more news and notes on the Lakers, check out the Land O' Lakers blog from the Kamenetzky brothers. Blog

"I wish I had it to do all over again, and starting 20 years ago, I'd be suspending Phil and Pat Riley for all the games they play in the media, because you guys know that our referees go out there and they knock themselves out and do the best job they can. We have coaches who will do whatever it takes to try to work them publicly," Stern said. "What that does is erode fan confidence, and then we get some of the situations that we have. So, our coaches should be quiet because this is a good business that makes them good livings and supports a lot of families, and if they don't like it, they should go get a job someplace else."

Jackson made comments about the officials the very next day, suggesting some of the referees' calls might have been swayed by the raucous home crowd at the Ford Center in Oklahoma City, but the 10-time championship-winning coach did not receive any further fine or suspension by the league.

Stern addressed the media again prior to Game 4 of the second round between the Lakers and Jazz in Utah. He justified that further discipline toward Jackson wasn't necessary because, "As you may have noticed, the rhetoric has declined."

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns have reacted with a collective smirk to Phil Jackson's suggestion that Steve Nash travels with the basketball.

592.jpg

Nash

nba_g_pjax_65.jpg

Jackson

Nash even had a subtle retort worthy of Jackson himself.

"It's news to me. I'm fortunate. I don't know if I've been called for a carry yet," he said after the Suns practiced Saturday, then he added straight-faced: "I've never heard anyone accuse me of carrying it. I mean, the best coach in the league Gregg Popovich [of San Antonio] didn't have a problem with it last week."

Get it? Popovich the best coach in the league?

"We have the best officials in the world," Nash continued. "I'll just leave it up to them."

Jackson had grinned when asked on Friday if it's tough for the Lakers to prepare to face Nash, the reigning NBA skills champion, because of the Suns guard's frenetic style.

"Yeah, because you can't carry the ball like he does in practice," Jackson said, making a gesture of palming the basketball. "You can't pick that ball up and run with it."

Phoenix coach Alvin Gentry laughed off the accusation.

"You guys got to admire Phil," Gentry said. "C'mon, the stuff that he throws out there, I mean I think it's great. He's very creative. There's a reason. But I think you've got to understand that there's kind of a method to his madness. If you let it affect you, then it will."

Gentry went on to praise Jackson for his ability to create championship chemistry on teams with great players, calling it "probably the toughest thing in the NBA to do."

He said the Suns weren't going to get drawn into what they consider Jackson's psychological ploy.

"How can we win that?" Gentry said. "We're not going to win that battle anyway."

But the Phoenix coach added a jab at the Lakers when he was asked jokingly if the team worked on ball handling skills.

"We spent the day ducking elbows on post-ups, to see if we could duck elbows on post-ups, " Gentry said, a not-to-thinly veiled nod to the Lakers' style. "So it all works out, it all works out."

Amare Stoudemire probably spoke for the rest of the team with his reaction.

"Typical Phil," he said.

Has Jackson always talked $@!@ like this before? because I dont remember him doing it the past years

The phrase is "tit for tat", fyi.

But it's not really a surprise knowing Phil, he's a great influence in the game and loves playing mind games.

This means nothing. Jackson can say whatever he wants...He's PHIL JACKSON!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cant Nobody Stop Me

Has Jackson always talked $@!@ like this before? because I dont remember him doing it the past years
Phil has always been a %*#* talker. Nothing new. He loves playing mind games.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

But it's not really a surprise knowing Phil, he's a great influence in the game and loves playing mind games.
Stop being pedantic.  Jerk. lol
I'm eating tic tacs so there

Originally Posted by gko2408

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Stop being pedantic.  Jerk. lol
I'm eating tic tacs so there
I read the title too quickly and thought it said "Nash and Jackson play tic tac toe"

didn't want people to get their hopes up like I did.

Phil Jackson always takes shots (at refs, at players) because he probably thinks in his own mind he's getting the edge by getting into their heads. In reality he just comes off as corny.

steve nash carries, deron williams carries, d-wade carries. hell, the majority of the guards in the nba carries

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Phil Jackson always takes shots (at refs, at players) because he probably thinks in his own mind he's getting the edge by getting into their heads. In reality he just comes off as corny.
This. His comments are getting old.

Originally Posted by slickrick916

x2

*in before lakers fans come to Phil's rescue

Originally Posted by nublee

Originally Posted by slickrick916

x2

*in before lakers fans come to Phil's rescue

How you argue with success? If it ain't broke, you know the rest.

It was a nice rebuttal by Nash, but when you're talking like that about a guy who is still getting to NBA finals and conference finals, and to a guy who has more rings than fingers.... Nash's barb sort of loses steam.

LOL@ phil thinking this is some sort of mind game... dude is just old and stubborn thinking his stuff works...most of them just laugh at him or don't care about it.

i mean w/o tex where would phil be? lmao

he's not creative please.

Yeah I know.  Dude gets 12 total championship rings and thinks he's one of the all-time greats and can say whatever he wants or something
grin.gif

"It's news to me. I'm fortunate. I don't know if I've been called for a carry yet," he said after the Suns practiced Saturday, then he added straight-faced: "I've never heard anyone accuse me of carrying it. I mean, the best coach in the league Gregg Popovich [of San Antonio] didn't have a problem with it last week."

pimp.gif
I see what you did there steve

Everyone carries
laugh.gif
That's nothing new.

I don't see that comment bothering Nash... He's been in the league to long for something like that to bother him.

Im not even a Laker fan but the man can play mind games all he wants, he's earned that right. Im Sure Laker fans dont think those championship rings are 'getting old'. 
laugh.gif

Some please tell Phil Jackson that taking shots at opposing players is easy when Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant are on your team. Be a little bit more creative, Phil.

Originally Posted by Stormy1015

Im not even a Laker fan but the man can play mind games all he wants, he's earned that right. Im Sure Laker fans dont think those championship rings are 'getting old'. 
laugh.gif

This.

And how does Phil need to be creative? Like what exactly is he suppose to do? He is the Master of mind games, think about it, to all you guys saying that Nash is not stupid to fall for his tricks... well imo he basically already did. If he wasn't affected by it, he would just left it alone, but with his comeback statement "best coach in the league" (shot to Phil) he already fell into it. (ex. PBF and Mosley's trainer)

Back
Top Bottom