TapouT clothing owner reportedly killed in Ferrari crash

[h1]TapouT clothing reportedly killed in Ferrari crash[/h1][h2]Driver of Porsche, seen fleeing accident by police, in Newport jail.[/h2]
FATAL4.lrg.jpg
08_ferrari.0311.ks_.jpg

09_ferrari.0311.ks_.jpg
05_ferrari.0311.ks_.jpg

Lewis.jpg

By SERENA MARIA DANIELS and SARA FAY

THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Comments 212 | Recommend 24

NEWPORT BEACH - A man arrested on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter in connection with a deadly crash with a red Ferrari early this morning has a historyof driving violations, including driving under the influence, according to records.

Charles "Mask" Lewis, founder of TapouT clothing, a San Bernardino County company that makes clothing affiliated with Mixed Martial Arts, producesa reality TV show, and sponsors fighters in that industry, died in the accident, according to TMZ.com and MMA fan Web sites.

A TapouT spokeswoman said the company would issue a statement within the hour.

Jeffrey David Kirby, 51, of Costa Mesa is in Newport Beach police custody in lieu of $1 million bail on a count of gross vehicular manslaughter after apolice officer reportedly witnessed him fleeing the scene of a collision involving the Ferrari and a white 1977 Porsche just before 1 a.m. at southboundJamboree Road, near Camelback Street.

The officer told authorities that Kirby was driving the Porsche alongside the Ferrari when the red car hit a curb and then a light pole, which toppled ontothe luxury Italian sports car. The officer said the driver of the Porsche stopped momentarily, but continued driving.

Kirby has a list of driving-related convictions, including driving under the influence in February 2002, not using a seat belt, failure to register avehicle, no insurance, ignoring traffic signs, and driving without a license, according to court and Department of Motor Vehicle records.

The officer came to the aid of the crash victims and requested help in finding the Porsche.

Officers found the Porsche on Bison Avenue, a few blocks away. Kirby and a woman, Lynn Marie Nobozny, 32, of Newport Beach were seen walking away from thevehicle, police said.

Nobozny was arrested on suspicion of public intoxication and was later released.

Southbound Jamboree Road between North Eastbluff Drive and Bison is closed. The roadway was expected to reopen around noon, but police now expect it to stayclosed until around 3 p.m.

An unidentified man died at the scene. He was initially said to be the Ferrari's driver, but authorities have not confirmed that. His name was notimmediately released.

A woman believed to have been a passenger of the Ferrari was ejected from the car. She was taken to Western Medical Center-Santa Ana after the accident,authorities said. Her condition was not immediately known, although police said her condition has since stabilized.

Skid marks could be seen along the roadway leading up to the site of the crash. The rear of the car came to rest more than 30 feet away from the frontend.

The Porsche had moderate damage, indicating that it had collided with the Ferrari, authorities said.

Early City News Service reports said the Ferrari appeared to be a GTB Fiorano, an all-aluminum V12 with a top speed of 205 mph and a price tag of about$300,000, but police later confirmed the model was a 2004 Modena.

Motorists using Eastbluff are asked to use caution as schools are in the surrounding area.

RIP.

Must be playin with some heavy speed always pictures of these luxury sportscars in multiple pieces. RIP

I read this on Sherdog earlier this morning. The OP was getting flamed left and right for initially not revealing who it was.

Sucks to hear. Although I never supported the brand specifically, what TapouT did for the sport of MMA will be remembered for many years to come. They werethere from the beginning and cemented their place in MMA right next to the UFC.

RIP Mask, you will be missed...

to split the car in half like that that pole must have been decent size, and both of them driving pretty fast. WOW!

He didn't even have a fighting chance.

Dudes like you disgust me. Come in here trying to get a few laughs. #%+@ you homie, grow up. Hiding behind a computer doesn't mean you can just run yourmouth like that.

Originally Posted by Snake201

why in every pic of a Ferrari accident the cars always break in half?
RIP to him, only saw 1 episode but he seemed alright

seriously though, i think it might have to do with the quality of car, i remember reading something about Ferrari, at first, refusing Polyphony to damage theirvehicles in GT, pretty fishy if u ask me

Back
Top Bottom