Target says data breach affected 110 MILLION accounts...not 70, like previously reported.

1. Why is Target even storing your credit card info when paying for items. they shouldnt be storing it anyways

2. What is the time frame to know if your a victim? was it just the month of December?

And people that broke into the system are overseas. People that are using your card are doing so overseas not in the USA

1. Why is Target even storing your credit card info when paying for items. they shouldnt be storing it anyways

2. What is the time frame to know if your a victim? was it just the month of December?

And people that broke into the system are overseas. People that are using your card are doing so overseas not in the USA

This is the messed up part, tho. The numbers keep increasing, and even if you think you're in the clear (no suspicious activity on your account), there is NO guarantee that it won't be compromised down the road due to this breach.

I'm not sure about them storing numbers, but a good friend of mine used his card at a gas pump one day and his info was stolen. The guy in charge of account security at the bank told him to never swipe at the pump and when swiping your card inside, wait until you have your receipt and press the red/cancel button twice to clear your info out of the machine. He said the info is stored in the machine for a certain period of time...

Also, just because the thieves were overseas doesn't mean that cards are only being used overseas. The thieves can't go through 110 million numbers. They're sold on the deep web to people all over the world. (From the right seller, you could pay .25 each) Earlier this year, a local grocery chain (Schnucks) was breached. My card was used about a week later at a pharmacy in São Paulo, Brazil. My wife put it off and about 6 months later hers was used and it was pretty close to home. It got used at a walmart about 110 miles north of us and then they traveled further north and into Wisconsin hitting 4 more walmarts, buying stuff and getting cash back. 110-330 miles away. The bank tried to fight it since it was relatively close...

It looks like Target is offering free credit monitoring services. Someone go ahead and post the article

I hope Target can survive this,  where will I get my Archer Farms products 
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom