TEAM AIR FORCE 1 VOL. 6 AKA STOP PM'ING US

Well I understand and get what both of y'all are saying. I agree and disagree. The jewels are nice (the real OGs) because of leather quality and shape. I don't want Nike to retro something and just screw it up completely and then see guys out everywhere wearing crappy made jewels. But I am glad that Nike is thinking about us. I just wished they would reach out and ask us lol. I think that if they are dead set on retroing some jewels, I really don't want them to reuse the OG colorways. This way you can still tell what's what, but if everything is on point about them, then by all means OG it up

I love hunting for OG kicks. Sometimes I get lucky and it don't take long, but usually I'm searching and searching for a long time.

Originally Posted by Mr CoOrdinate

Well I understand and get what both of y'all are saying. I agree and disagree. The jewels are nice (the real OGs) because of leather quality and shape. I don't want Nike to retro something and just screw it up completely and then see guys out everywhere wearing crappy made jewels. But I am glad that Nike is thinking about us. I just wished they would reach out and ask us lol. I think that if they are dead set on retroing some jewels, I really don't want them to reuse the OG colorways. This way you can still tell what's what, but if everything is on point about them, then by all means OG it up

I love hunting for OG kicks. Sometimes I get lucky and it don't take long, but usually I'm searching and searching for a long time.
Bold mine.

But, that's the thing. WE can still tell what's what. So, who are you (not just you, but the collective "you") worried about not being able to tell?... The next man? The casual sneaker fan? Others who you want to impress?

See, the interesting thing about this issue is it puts a lot of our professed values to the test. Sure, many of us say we chase down OGs because the shape is better looking and the materials are higher quality, and shoe overall is just way more comfortable. BUT... if they retro the shoe in cheaper materials, butchered shape, and they feel like bricks, how does that effect the originals? The originals are still all they were when there was no retro. So, why should we be mad? Why do we care about a product we won't use?

Well, one reason one would care is because while he professes to love the OGs for all the reasons above, really a lot of love comes from having something rare, something exclusive. So, when retros come out, that threatens to pull the cards of a lot of dudes who claim they hunt what they hunt because the quality, shape, and comfort is on point, and not to "break necks."

Now, I'm not saying that wanting to have things others don't is all wrong. We'd all be lying to ourselves if we said we didn't care at all about that. But, in some cases, how one feels about retros can be a barometer for how they weight exclusivity among the various appealing attributes of OGs. And, a lot of times, I think people actually prioritize that aspect more than they claim to.

Hell, you can make a compelling argument that retroing a shoe brings down the prices of the OGs and therefore those of us who are dedicated OG-seekers should want to see retros because it triggers an OG market correction in our favor (as consumers, but not as resellers). Under that premise it's hard not to argue that arguing against retro-ing isn't just hypebeasting masquerading under a false cloak of nobility - the most heinous hypebeating of all!

BTW, I'm not trying to call anybody here out or anything, just trying to have a real discussion about sneakers that extends beyond "those are fire."

Originally Posted by Mr CoOrdinate

Bold mine.

But, that's the thing. WE can still tell what's what. So, who are you (not just you, but the collective "you") worried about not being able to tell?... The next man? The casual sneaker fan? Others who you want to impress?

See, the interesting thing about this issue is it puts a lot of our professed values to the test. Sure, many of us say we chase down OGs because the shape is better looking and the materials are higher quality, and shoe overall is just way more comfortable. BUT... if they retro the shoe in cheaper materials, butchered shape, and they feel like bricks, how does that effect the originals? The originals are still all they were when there was no retro. So, why should we be mad? Why do we care about a product we won't use?

Well, one reason one would care is because while he professes to love the OGs for all the reasons above, really a lot of love comes from having something rare, something exclusive. So, when retros come out, that threatens to pull the cards of a lot of dudes who claim they hunt what they hunt because the quality, shape, and comfort is on point, and not to "break necks."

Now, I'm not saying that wanting to have things others don't is all wrong. We'd all be lying to ourselves if we said we didn't care at all about that. But, in some cases, how one feels about retros can be a barometer for how they weight exclusivity among the various appealing attributes of OGs. And, a lot of times, I think people actually prioritize that aspect more than they claim to.

Hell, you can make a compelling argument that retroing a shoe brings down the prices of the OGs and therefore those of us who are dedicated OG-seekers should want to see retros because it triggers an OG market correction in our favor (as consumers, but not as resellers). Under that premise it's hard not to argue that arguing against retro-ing isn't just hypebeasting masquerading under a false cloak of nobility - the most heinous hypebeating of all!

BTW, I'm not trying to call anybody here out or anything, just trying to have a real discussion about sneakers that extends beyond "those are fire."

I didn't think you were asking a question to argue about it.  It's just my opinion

and most vintage pairs I have I got for very reasonable prices

The hunt of finding a vintage pair isn't to spend 500 dollars on it.  Its the search of looking for it

You actually go broke faster if shoes are easily attainable.

I didn't think you were asking a question to argue about it.  It's just my opinion

and most vintage pairs I have I got for very reasonable prices

The hunt of finding a vintage pair isn't to spend 500 dollars on it.  Its the search of looking for it

You actually go broke faster if shoes are easily attainable.

I'm not wanting to "break necks" where I live or anywhere. My biggest thing is comfort and how they hold up. My older forces don't show creases as bad, are lighter, look better, more comfortable, and obviously harder to find. Im not a "professional" at forces, nikes, or shoes for that matter. I can tell an older force from the '07 line. But when you have an "iconic" colorway that was and is well known for many things, but mostly known for being better made, more comfortable, and older it's "nostalgic" if you will. Now obviously people who weren't able to grab these back in the day, so at first you would think everyone would want it retrod, but later in they would realize it would look cheap and fake compared to older joints. So then they would hunt for an OG an pay more for it now. I've realized this now. I have some newer forces, no comparisons to pre 02. So I pay more for older and even used forces, not for trying to be cool or break necks whatever I go, but for me. I think it's cool that mike wants to retro the jewel. And I've said in the retro section that if the leather is right along with other stuff I will be buying some. But if it's the regular old crap then I don't care what they look like. I don't want them

I agree that retroing them could and might bring down OG prices. But idk that we would just have to see. Yea I'd like to pickup some real nice OGs cheap but I missed that era and my location sucks. That's my loss

I just don't want the AF1 line to end up like Jordan. Every few months there's a retro coming out. It kind of defeats the purpose. If you missed out on a release it makes you want that shoe more and plus when you see them worn somewhere it makes you appreciate it more and want it even more. But when a Jordan xi is worn now is it a retro or OG? There's been so many retros. And that's just one, you have the black cement iiis that just released, 5s all kinds of shoes.

So it can honestly go both ways. I want real leather jewels on the shelf at my local retailers. Then I'll be one of the "older" guys in a few years here talking about the good old days. Not an older guy in a few years talking about how Nike wrecked the AF1 and I was shuffling through eBay NT ISS everywhere for nice forces

I'm not wanting to "break necks" where I live or anywhere. My biggest thing is comfort and how they hold up. My older forces don't show creases as bad, are lighter, look better, more comfortable, and obviously harder to find. Im not a "professional" at forces, nikes, or shoes for that matter. I can tell an older force from the '07 line. But when you have an "iconic" colorway that was and is well known for many things, but mostly known for being better made, more comfortable, and older it's "nostalgic" if you will. Now obviously people who weren't able to grab these back in the day, so at first you would think everyone would want it retrod, but later in they would realize it would look cheap and fake compared to older joints. So then they would hunt for an OG an pay more for it now. I've realized this now. I have some newer forces, no comparisons to pre 02. So I pay more for older and even used forces, not for trying to be cool or break necks whatever I go, but for me. I think it's cool that mike wants to retro the jewel. And I've said in the retro section that if the leather is right along with other stuff I will be buying some. But if it's the regular old crap then I don't care what they look like. I don't want them

I agree that retroing them could and might bring down OG prices. But idk that we would just have to see. Yea I'd like to pickup some real nice OGs cheap but I missed that era and my location sucks. That's my loss

I just don't want the AF1 line to end up like Jordan. Every few months there's a retro coming out. It kind of defeats the purpose. If you missed out on a release it makes you want that shoe more and plus when you see them worn somewhere it makes you appreciate it more and want it even more. But when a Jordan xi is worn now is it a retro or OG? There's been so many retros. And that's just one, you have the black cement iiis that just released, 5s all kinds of shoes.

So it can honestly go both ways. I want real leather jewels on the shelf at my local retailers. Then I'll be one of the "older" guys in a few years here talking about the good old days. Not an older guy in a few years talking about how Nike wrecked the AF1 and I was shuffling through eBay NT ISS everywhere for nice forces

Lol I can agree there is an elitist attitude when it comes to vintage.

The statements I made about vintage af1s on the sole collector af1 thread had some hoodlum call me up cursing me out
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

People don't understand that no matter how great the materials used on af1s these days can be, the shape is still DIFFERENT from ten years ago

In a lot of cases, it doesn't even look like the same shoe

On another note, the cool grey jewel low for 2012 looks dope and I like that nike is bringing back pebbled leather a lot more

Lol I can agree there is an elitist attitude when it comes to vintage.

The statements I made about vintage af1s on the sole collector af1 thread had some hoodlum call me up cursing me out
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

People don't understand that no matter how great the materials used on af1s these days can be, the shape is still DIFFERENT from ten years ago

In a lot of cases, it doesn't even look like the same shoe

On another note, the cool grey jewel low for 2012 looks dope and I like that nike is bringing back pebbled leather a lot more

That grey low got me to. If the ones on my closest retail shelves look like the one pictured, I will deffinatly double up on those. If other colorways come out and lol and feel right, I will be buying those to. I'm not against them doing them. But if they are just thrown together then why would I or anyone buy them unless they were just trying to fit in or feel as they have real jewels in their collection?

That grey low got me to. If the ones on my closest retail shelves look like the one pictured, I will deffinatly double up on those. If other colorways come out and lol and feel right, I will be buying those to. I'm not against them doing them. But if they are just thrown together then why would I or anyone buy them unless they were just trying to fit in or feel as they have real jewels in their collection?

MNadel,

Yeah, man, I saw that madness about the dude calling you out because you had the nerve to CORRECTLY assert that '94 orange canvas highs or something like that absolutely murk some ghastly PE that couldn't fetch retail on the free market if it wasn't associated with some random athlete. ...Bonus misunderstanding also in your favor in that discussion is that dudes on that tip don't understand that limited doesn't mean rare. I have shoes I've been hunting for years, but if I wanted a pair of Playstations I could buy them in an hour. But, in the future, you can avoid those sort of confrontations by wearing more fur coats.

And, I wasn't asking my question to argue, I just want to be honest about my motivations as part of this culture - none of us are 100% pure with it. But, mainly, the discussion is about the fact that I have mixed feelings about retros, as I believe many of us do. Now, with the jewel thing happening, it looks like we're beginning to go down that road. Let's see where that road leads...

MNadel,

Yeah, man, I saw that madness about the dude calling you out because you had the nerve to CORRECTLY assert that '94 orange canvas highs or something like that absolutely murk some ghastly PE that couldn't fetch retail on the free market if it wasn't associated with some random athlete. ...Bonus misunderstanding also in your favor in that discussion is that dudes on that tip don't understand that limited doesn't mean rare. I have shoes I've been hunting for years, but if I wanted a pair of Playstations I could buy them in an hour. But, in the future, you can avoid those sort of confrontations by wearing more fur coats.

And, I wasn't asking my question to argue, I just want to be honest about my motivations as part of this culture - none of us are 100% pure with it. But, mainly, the discussion is about the fact that I have mixed feelings about retros, as I believe many of us do. Now, with the jewel thing happening, it looks like we're beginning to go down that road. Let's see where that road leads...

Yeah I didn't mean argue like that, just meant to each their own: we all collect for our own reasons

I'm a vintage nike fanatic but I choose af1s because they will always be wearable.  So they became my pride and joy.

hopefully some new pickups to post soon - in the midst of some dealsssss

Yeah I didn't mean argue like that, just meant to each their own: we all collect for our own reasons

I'm a vintage nike fanatic but I choose af1s because they will always be wearable.  So they became my pride and joy.

hopefully some new pickups to post soon - in the midst of some dealsssss

nice black red mids Mr.Co

dope highs Name Brand

as far as retros i could careless, like a few others said they still wont look as nice as the ogs, n we deff cant expect nike to do a good job all they care about is profit vs' craftsmanship
even tho those off white/tan lookin lows on the last page look nice, n the grey jewel samples

and mnadels orange highs > SC AF1 thread
ive hardly been over there since the vintage/pe argument

nice black red mids Mr.Co

dope highs Name Brand

as far as retros i could careless, like a few others said they still wont look as nice as the ogs, n we deff cant expect nike to do a good job all they care about is profit vs' craftsmanship
even tho those off white/tan lookin lows on the last page look nice, n the grey jewel samples

and mnadels orange highs > SC AF1 thread
ive hardly been over there since the vintage/pe argument

Those orange highs are now owned by shawnnyboy.. he has two purr

they were .5 too big for me

Those orange highs are now owned by shawnnyboy.. he has two purr

they were .5 too big for me

Lol that guy on SC is buggin.  He posted some terror squad pink af1 lows that are the shape of a box and hes like DAMNN THIS LEATHERR IS SOO BUTTERY.  I'm sure it is, but that shoe does not look like an air force 1.  It looks like a box.  Hope it was worth 900 dollars.

Lol that guy on SC is buggin.  He posted some terror squad pink af1 lows that are the shape of a box and hes like DAMNN THIS LEATHERR IS SOO BUTTERY.  I'm sure it is, but that shoe does not look like an air force 1.  It looks like a box.  Hope it was worth 900 dollars.

^haha I have no idea what/who y'all are talking about but the dude sounds like a clown

Thanks jae, they're too nice to just sit in my closet. I try to wear all of them. Haven't broke out the acorns yet. May be a year or two though

Haven't seen any pics from anyone lately, team AF1 has been sleepin

^haha I have no idea what/who y'all are talking about but the dude sounds like a clown

Thanks jae, they're too nice to just sit in my closet. I try to wear all of them. Haven't broke out the acorns yet. May be a year or two though

Haven't seen any pics from anyone lately, team AF1 has been sleepin

Back
Top Bottom