The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think anyone was even debating Phil's legacy. We were talking about Kobe, Durant and Dwight and if they made their teammates better

really? making teamates better or making the team better seems like a distinction without a difference

Kobe makes his team better by scoring a lot and bailing them out in end of shot clock scenarios, Dwight makes his teammates (and therefore his team) better by covering up for defensive mistakes and allowing them to be more aggressive on the perimeter.

different method, same result.

it isn't undisputed and it's not unrivaled Pop and Red revolutionized the game in their own way, it way, they got the most out of talent, ect ect.

It would be distespectful to other great coaches to act like there is some big difference between pop and phil and red.

I would take Pop but thats me.

Would like to hear why you prefer pop over phil. Not that you are wrong or anything like that, or that it's like blasphemous to have that preference or anything, I just genuinely would like to hear why you would prefer pop.

Would like to hear why you prefer pop over phil. Not that you are wrong or anything like that, or that it's like blasphemous to have that preference or anything, I just genuinely would like to hear why you would prefer pop.

I think Pop is the best ever at adapting to changes in league strategy, both on offense and defense.

The spurs were the first to grasp the implications of corner 3's, first to really perfect resting your players over the course of the year, first to assimilate many European concepts, and he took D'antoni's offense and perfected it.

few coaches would have had the stone to drastically change the spurs identity like pop did in 2007 and take the ball away from Tim and give it to Manu and Tony.

imo he's the best.

I would also take Pop over Phil (inb4 fan bias).

I have my reasons though, when it comes to the way the regular season is managed, no ones as good at it as Pop, hes the pioneer of the idea of resting your players during the reg season to be ready for the playoffs. Look no further than last season.

He's also played two drastically different offensive styles and greatly succeeded in both. The dramatic shift from dump it to Tim every five possessions to letting the three fly at a record clip isnt something that most coaches do could effectively much less do it at all.

The respect that the players have also plays a factor.  I cant think of many people who could go to their best player, the best player to ever play that position and say "Yeah you're gonna start seeing the ball less" Or tell the all star guard "Yeah you're not gonna start anymore, I need you to come off the bench" Even today with the prominence of the 6th man and how its not even really a bench role in the eyes of anyone who knows basketball you have guys like Dion Waiters talking about "I'm starting or its nothing" Lets see how well that goes for David Blatt. 

Hes been through it all and has adapted to now three separate eras of basketball.

Pop is really good at adapting his offense to his personnel. It's part of why Duncan is still playing.

If he didn't switch to a more perimeter oriented offense, Duncan might've retired earlier from carrying the load too much.

Phil is flexible too but more so in terms of coaching individuals. He really knew the best way of getting the most out of each individual and his approach for everyone was very different. He'd ride and berate some players like an army sergeant and be laid back with others. He'd be philosophical with some players and more straightforward with others. He'd play his mind games with some ppl but he knew who was too sensitive to **** around with, etc

He was really a player's coach. In terms of X and o's and personnel adaptability, I don't know. It was always the triangle offense with him, wasn't it? Lol

Last edited:
I mean are you guys really still having this argument...

Come on, OKB. It wouldn't be NT if we didn't rehash the same debates every season. Next up will probably be is Iverson a Hall-of-Famer or is Melo a true superstar.

As for Pop v. Phil, I have to say that, from a personality standpoint, I like Pop better. Yeah he's gruff and impatient with the media, but it comes off as genuine and often funny. Phil, on the other hand, can be annoying. He definitely thinks he's smarter than he is and is very condescending at times. I also don't like his whole game of trying to manipulate players, etc. through the media. Can't argue with the results he's gotten though.

All valid. Can't argue with that. Especially the point abotu Pop perfecting the D'antoni style of offense or his management of the regular season or the dynamic that he has with his players. His increased emphasis on the 3 point line has been remarkable. There's also something to be said about how Pop finds incredible depth out of seeming no depth at all. He (along with the rest of their staff) consistently find players who are seemingly on their way out of the league, or shouldn't be in the league / have no place on a championship caliber team, and turns them into surefire NBA players. I am consistently dumbfounded by how Pop routinely trolls the NBA by rolling out some incredibly awkward lineups at moments of crisis, and without fail it ends up being a turning point in a game or a series. That is a skill that very few, if any coaches have and for all those reasons he's definitely appreciated by me.

However, I just have a personal affinity for PJ and I will not lie there is a bit of a bias that comes out from me when I talk about Phil. It mainly has nothing to do with basketball ironically enough :lol: I feel that his principles on basketball and life are synonymous, and incredibly helpful to anyone trying to achieve anything in life. He's up there with other guys like Napoleon Hill, and Earl Nightingale in that regard.

But beyond that, I think Phil's ability to get the most out of his player sis incredible man. Putting them in situations and places on the floor where they have the best chances for success. Whether it be the star player or the spot up PG, no one is seemingly out of place with his philosophy on the offensive end. I also love how for the most part, he never really ran a "play," it was more reactionary natural player movements on the floor. He's nothing to gawk at either when it comes to how he was able to implement the 3 point line into what he was doing. Also, defensively in the early 90's I loved his use of the full court press and the trapping style of defense. Not really seen in the NBA by man. But, By putting guys like Kobe, Shaq, and Jordan in places on the floor where it was incredibly hard to double them without being burned, he allowed 3 point shooters to flourish in his system. What's probably most revealing about Phil is that he never had the most talented teams. While he may have had some of the league's finest talents, he never had the most talent and that came from an understanding that in order to win, you have to have 12 to 15 guys all on the same plane, the same synergy, to win and too much talent can disrupt that.

No real right or wrong answer here, it's more of a preference.

This has to be the only long-running thread in S&T that gets bogged down by regulars having arguments with trolls.
mean.gif
 How are y'all in here every day and don't know who the **** to NOT pay attention to? Maybe ****** just like entertaining stupidity on a daily basis, idk. Dudes take the bait way too easy.

This has to be the only long-running thread in S&T that gets bogged down by regulars having arguments with trolls. :smh:  How are y'all in here every day and don't know who the **** to NOT pay attention to? Maybe ****** just like entertaining stupidity on a daily basis, idk. Dudes take the bait way too easy.

Plus ******* 1

Does that mean that Pat Riley and Rudy Tomjonovich are better coaches than Pop because they each won back-to-back championships?

:smh: where did you get that observation from when the topic was between phil & pop

Phil won b2b2b 3 times

Wtf does rudy t & pat riley have to do with what i said :smh: dudes making up **** just to argue

This has to be the only long-running thread in S&T that gets bogged down by regulars having arguments with trolls.
mean.gif
 How are y'all in here every day and don't know who the **** to NOT pay attention to? Maybe ****** just like entertaining stupidity on a daily basis, idk. Dudes take the bait way too easy.
This. BeBetterThenThem you guys.

This has to be the only long-running thread in S&T that gets bogged down by regulars having arguments with trolls. :smh:  How are y'all in here every day and don't know who the **** to NOT pay attention to? Maybe ****** just like entertaining stupidity on a daily basis, idk. Dudes take the bait way too easy.
this. stop responding to Antidope

Last edited:

mean.gif

Hardwood Paroxysm ‏@HPbasketball 15h15 hours ago
Brook Lopez out 10-14 days with foot injury

Jeez. Here we go again...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom