The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I don't know for sure but I guarantee if you look back at those Laker chips they had big name FA signings just like Lebron had with Allen Miller and Battier.

This comment saying Kobe never attracted FAs "sounds" absurd.

Again I don't know for sure but if you go back and look I bet you will find names bigger than Allen Miller Battier that were FAs and signing with Lakers.
They had too many good role players to not have this be true

Foxes, Eddie Jones, Horrys, Artests, Fishers, Artests etc
Eddie Jones... was replaced by Kobe. He was already a Laker, until #8

Fisher was drafted, same year as Kobe.

I'll give you Fox, Horry, and Artest.

Fox was not the Fox you know now when he came over. Those 3 championships are why you know his name now.

So Horry and Artest. Good jobe, #8/24; on one hand, we've got Mike Miller, Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Love, and Birdman all DECIDING to join you... and you've got Ron Artest and Horry.

Oh, Matt Barnes. Let's get him in there.

Antawn's corpse.

OH, OH... SWAGGY P!!!! 
smokin.gif

SLIGHTLY lopsided, methinks.

Fox was not the Fox you know now when he came over. Those 3 championships are why you know his name now.

So Horry and Artest. Good jobe, #8/24; on one hand, we've got Mike Miller, Chris Bosh, Ray Allen, Shawn Marion, Dwyane Wade, Kevin Love, and Birdman all DECIDING to join you... and you've got Ron Artest and Horry.

Antawn's corpse.

OH, OH... SWAGGY P!!!! :smokin

Pretty sure they got Horry in trade, which further supports your point. IIRC, they got him for Ced Ceballos - after he had thrown a towel in his coach's face in Phoenix.

^ K love was traded to Cleveland, he still hasn't signed there. Bron joined Wade on the heat (where he's played his entire career)

^ K love was traded to Cleveland, he still hasn't signed there. Bron joined Wade on the heat (where he's played his entire career)
We ALLLLLLLL know Wade chose to pair up w/ Bron.

Same w/ KLove.

It was absolutely NOT, "Let me check my Heat locker, see what's crackalac... OH, HEY, Lebron! You here, now?"

Or like Kevin was just scoping out the Cleveland arena, "Lebron? Lebron James? Are you... I thought... because... Miami... no?"

laugh.gif

What Lebron did and is doing is pretty much unprecedented. He's formed 2 super teams that were able to add ring chasing vets for the minimum.

Weak argument.

oh gawd Lebron vs Kobe debate still going on? Let's talk preseason basketball you guys

I'm not trying to continue the debate, I just wanted to capitalize on an opportunity to mention the greatness that was Cedric Ceballos. Cal State Fullerton's finest. :nthat:

Antawn's corpse.

OH, OH... SWAGGY P!!!! 
smokin.gif

Fox was nice and a prime 15/5/5 type before he came to LA.

I was just going from memory on the names I threw out for examples, I bet I could find more if I looked.

It seems like Lebron gets more FA's because it's fresh on our minds. It's hard to remember who came for Kobe 10 years ago, for me anyway, but I know if I look, the proof is there. 

sidenote: And hes aging now off of a big injury, hes going to be second fiddle to Lebron any day of the week when players have a choice on who they can play with, logically Lebron wins this any day

Last edited:

Same w/ KLove.

It was absolutely NOT, "Let me check my Heat locker, see what's crackalac... OH, HEY, Lebron! You here, now?"

Or like Kevin was just scoping out the Cleveland arena, "Lebron? Lebron James? Are you... I thought... because... Miami... no?"

laugh.gif
Just don't make sense that when Dwight is traded to LA it's against his will (Pretty sure he wanted out of Orlando), while Klove is traded to Cleveland it's that he wanted to join Bron. They were both traded away, like an asset. It's a business.

Do people want to play with Bron more than Kobe? Yeah, probably.

Kobe won 5 championships regardless of whether people want to play with him or not. Shaq said in retrospect, he regretted leaving LA. Kobe did it his way, and got championships. 

Of course they do, he got youth on his side.

Kobe never needed to recruit like Lebron, He had the Laker machine behind him.

Lebron couldn't rely on Cleveland front office the first time around to build him a team, Kobe had that luxury of a front office about Chips.

Lebron is taking things in his own hands this time, and has been afforded the power. I can't knock him

And I'm not advocating for Kobe, just pointing out how absurd it "sounded" to hear FA's never wanted to play with Kobe, because I can't believe that, no way

edit: But I'm off it, I've stated all I want on that topic

Last edited:
i mean at this point is pretty clear what people are doing, people that dislike kobe tend to think that it was external factors that gifted him his 5 rings (best teammates ever despite no one wanting to play with him, best coach, best front office, ect), people that dislike lebron tend to think that he only won because he teamed up and got carried by a hall of fame supporting cast, played in the weak eastern conference, ect...

people keep talking about how kobe is a bad teammate because of his playstyle or lebron is mentally weak because he passes up on last second shots. there is no such thing as "the way basketball is meant to be played" jordan played the game with a different mindset than magic did and more recently kobe plays the game with a totally different mindset than lebron or duncan does. there is no right or wrong in these situations, all these people are VERY successful in what they do and they're personalities/playstyles match their skillset

for most people in here their biases prevent them from seeing the whole picture

Same w/ KLove.

laugh.gif
k love was in a very bad situation in mini, he had leverage so he which team he gets traded to. he saw the cavs and their situation and im sure he's happy that he gets to play with lebron now

how is that any different than chris paul not liking the team he's on, having the leverage to pick a team he wants to get traded to, NO gets a good offer from the lakers, chris paul likes the idea of playing for the lakers and with kobe so he agrees to the trade... but basketball reasons

so we look to steve nash, just finished a productive season thinks he can still be a top PG in the league but knows that PHX isnt winning anytime soon. He agrees to get traded to the lakers because he sees playing with kobe and dwight as a very good shot at a championship. he doesnt agree to play for the lakers if kobe isnt there, but unfortunately for a plethora of reasons it doesnt work out and everything goes wrong.

i get that you have never liked kobe but at least try to be unbiased in this conversation 

its easy to say that in 2014 players are not lining up to play with kobe, hes in his 19th year coming off two major injuries

its not like you saw players lining up to join the wizards in 03 

but that doesnt take anything away from what MJ did with the bulls and this shouldnt take anything away from what kobe has done for the lakers 

its easy to say that in 2014 players are not lining up to play with kobe, hes in his 19th year coming off two major injuries

its not like you saw players lining up to join the wizards in 03 

but that doesnt take anything away from what MJ did with the bulls and this shouldnt take anything away from what kobe has done for the lakers 
No one's taking anything away - it's moreso folks are mad the Lakers re-signed Kobe to that deal. What benefit do the Lakers get paying top 3 player $ to a player that's a shell of his former self? 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom