The 2014-2015 NBA Season Thread. Lock It Up Please: The Golden State Warriors Are The Champions

Status
Not open for further replies.

No one's taking anything away - it's moreso folks are mad the Lakers re-signed Kobe to that deal. What benefit do the Lakers get paying top 3 player $ to a player that's a shell of his former self? 
80 million revenue, Lakers are raking in the most $ in the entire league, and it's not even close.

its easy to say that in 2014 players are not lining up to play with kobe, hes in his 19th year coming off two major injuries

its not like you saw players lining up to join the wizards in 03 

but that doesnt take anything away from what MJ did with the bulls and this shouldnt take anything away from what kobe has done for the lakers 
No one's taking anything away - it's moreso folks are mad the Lakers re-signed Kobe to that deal. What benefit do the Lakers get paying top 3 player $ to a player that's a shell of his former self? 
nothing, the lakers FO is stupid for that contract and they could have signed kobe for way less. but thats the FO's problem, not some weird way to prove that kobe is selfish and only cared about himself all these years. he got as much money as he could, thats how jobs work

thats pretty much common knowledge 

but difficult to deal with part has always been overblown, even kobe doesnt advertise himself as someone that will get along with everyone. but in recent (since the 08 championship run) years a large majority of his teammates and former teammates have all had positive things to say about his attitude and leadership so i dont see where all this no one wants to play with kobe talk is coming from

That's the thing though, Laker fans think the Laker org owes them an explanation for paying Kobe.

The Lakers org sees the benefit in paying him for what he's brought, and they paid him for it.

Fans are only worried about what they are owed as fans, and don't give two ***** about Kobe getting paid what hes owed because he "can't help you anymore" so to speak.

Him taking what he's owed is frowned upon, because fans can't get past what they think they are owed as fans

How ironic to say the least. He's a punk for taking what was GIVEN to him, but fans aren't punks for trash talking him for taking his money? *****

but difficult to deal with part has always been overblown, even kobe doesnt advertise himself as someone that will get along with everyone. but in recent (since the 08 championship run) years a large majority of his teammates and former teammates have all had positive things to say about his attitude and leadership so i dont see where all this no one wants to play with kobe talk is coming from

from agents of other players, front office executives and his people within the laker franchise.

I don't know what "overblown" means in this context...

it's making it more difficult to run the laker franchise so make of that what you will, the article is just reporting opinions from people around the league.

The Lakers organization doesn't owe fans any kind of explanation. Doesn't mean we can't think one of their moves is stupid.

That's the thing though, Laker fans think the Laker org owes them an explanation for paying Kobe.
The Lakers org sees the benefit in paying him for what he's brought, and they paid him for it.

Fans are only worried about what they are owed as fans, and don't give two ***** about Kobe getting paid what hes owed because he "can't help you anymore" so to speak.

Him taking what he's owed is frowned upon, because fans can't get past what they think they are owed as fans

How ironic to say the least. He's a punk for taking what was GIVEN to him, but fans aren't punks for trash talking him for taking his money? *****
lol at regurg.

no body mad, they just wanna start the fire mitch, fire scott thing soon. pretty soon, gonna have beef between kobe n byron. lol tbats the fun part. a long with nick m lin.

from agents of other players, front office executives and his people within the laker franchise.

it's making it more difficult to run the laker franchise so make of that what you will, the article is just reporting opinions from people around the league.

ALL IT.IS SAYING IS THAT KOBES EGO is too big. second tiered guys like Gasol would be okay, but other big babies like MELO, lebron, bosh, howard would not take it

and if the Lakers didnt have Kobe, they would be even worse off. big deal :lol:

no ones coming to the Lakers with no talent, Kobe or no Kobe.

How salty must the top players be from the pre-2012 NBA draft.

Once the 2012 class is eligible for extensions. :x

Yea the money GS is going to have to pay Klay...yikes. When is Steph's deal up?

More interesting is what the Warriors will do with Draymond also being a free agent this summer.

It's a foregone conclusion Klay is getting the max. An interesting tidbit I read the other day is if he makes it to free agency, a team will sign him to a Parsons-like contract. Which would mean he would go into free agency a year or two earlier than if he just signed an extension right now, which coincidentally would be the same summer as Steph.

So Kobe won five championships while "no one wanted to come play with him". How many are you guys contesting that he would have won if other FAs (signings that were plausible) would have come to the Lakers? If the answer isn't greater than five, I think we can all agree that Kobe's career played out probably as well as it could have.

The article was seriously disingenuous and so are you when talking about this. How do you not see anything wrong with the article?

Abbott could have made an article expressing his view points and done it in a much better way. His main point/thesis was Kobe is holding the Lakers back. Fine, an acceptable thought, that I have even thought about. Now, what are your reasons for this thought. Instead of actually making valid points based on his opinion, he tried making it sound unbiased/tried taking himself out of it with the whole "outside sources" "people with knowledge of the front office decisions" etc. BTW, from what I have read he spoke to no one up top in the Lakers management, not even the secondary people. These outside sources could be his ESPN colleagues who may cover the Lakers. Beat writers.

Now specifically the article. He took points/quotes etc and misconstrued them. I don't see how anyone can't see how blatantly he spun things to fit his agenda. That's not how you write a piece. You don't go into it with an agenda and try to fit points around that agenda and totally disregard everything that doesn't. 

This is how he totally spun the article 

1) Totally disregarded the new CBA and how it hinders the Lakers specifically. I cannot believe he used Paul George not going to the Lakers as a reason for "players don't want to play with Kobe." You are pretty knowledgeable about basketball from what it seems, and you honestly don't see something wrong with that statement. Paul George is going to turn down that money after his rookie contract (see Rose rule)? Who in their right mind would turn down their incumbent teams offer after a rookie contract? He also came out and laughed at the article via twitter. 

2) CBA once again prevents teams like the Lakers to go after free agents i.e this summer. Shaq went to the Lakers during a time when the Lakers could offer more money than Orlando. No longer can the Lakers offer more money/years/job security than the incumbent team. The Lakers targeted two individuals this summer Lebron and Melo. Lebron didn't meet with any team other than Cleveland and Miami. His agents did meet with teams one of them being the Lakers. You don't need inside sources to know he was going to decide between those two teams. It had nothing to do with Kobe being in LA. There were rumblings a year ago about him possibly going back to Cleveland, his people not liking Riley, better for his image, etc etc etc. Melo stayed in NY because 1) the money, which the Lakers couldn't top because of the CBA 2) Supposedly he has business ventures in NY 3) He's already comfortable in NY 4) They are rebuilding, but they will have spending power this coming summer. If he truly was all about "winning" he would have gone to Houston or Chicago. That's no knock on Melo at all. I knew he was staying in NY the entire year and he did the right thing. 

3) Totally disregarded the CP3 debacle and how CP3 wanted to play for the Lakers and Kobe. He even thought about suing. Totally forgot how that debacle caused a chain of reactions that has led the Lakers to where they are. They gambled on Nash (a deal I was for and will not ever get angry about) and they gambled on Dwight. That team unfortunately didn't work out. 

4) Ramon Sessions nonsense was just totally horrible. Absolutely horrible. Sessions opted out hoping for more security in terms of years. The Lakers ended up getting Nash so they no longer wanted Sessions especially with Blake already making around 5 million as a back up. They did not want to spend extra money before that Dwight Howard deal was done that summer. The Lakers weren't even that big on him after his showing in the playoffs. It was the Lakers decision for Sessions not to come back, not Sessions' decision. 

5) Running out Dwight, sure that's partly Kobe's fault, but to spin it all on him is ridiculous. Dwight had plenty of faults in that situation. Absolutely plenty. They just didn't mesh, which is not a surprise. They are totally opposite personalities. Bringing in Bynum into this was funny too. Not like Bynum has been a model citizen wherever he's gone. Kobe embraced Bynum and supported him plenty of times. And if this info about Bynum and his people is regarding Bynum's agent, take it with a grain of salt. Bynum's agent David Lee is stupid. The guy used to post on message boards talking about his clients etc. What professional does that? 

6) Forgot to add, totally disregarded all the players that have great things to say about him, how much he has helped them, and the players that have come to the Lakers to play with him. Also, keep in mind throughout Kobe's career the Lakers never had money to spend on big time free agents other than this past summer. 

I can go on much longer about how terrible that article was, but you get the jist. He could've made an article talking about Kobe hindering the Lakers in much more accurate way, but it wouldn't have been as juicy, wouldn't have gotten the clicks, and ultimately he wouldn't get this kind of attention.  

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom