The Bicycle Thread

New setup

Attachments

• 405F8087-F848-4F0F-B0A8-FB12E3D442ED.jpeg
    405F8087-F848-4F0F-B0A8-FB12E3D442ED.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 63
New setup

My back hurts just looking at this pic

Anyone been riding where you at? Weather has been amazing around here. Fun climb this morning, want to get faster at climbing but gotta stay consistent. Finally got a bike fit recently and feeling much better so hopefully that helps.

C56FFC35-B4D7-4CFE-9CDA-0A49399D8F2A.jpeg C2BDF950-8D7A-4630-A080-E260010C7463.jpeg 5BC64271-A611-4F74-A743-7165203F1CED.jpeg 40AA913B-5E2C-427E-B411-605F10332D71.jpeg 9DD87DA1-1330-442B-B84B-6A7867D29C37.jpeg

I've been commuting home from work on my bike all last week since my car's engine got hydro-locked with all this flooding due to non-stop rain. Weather here is going to be the same into early November, heat and humidity with a high chance of afternoon thunderstorms. :smh:

How was the bike fit? What was changed?

My back hurts just looking at this pic

I've been commuting home from work on my bike all last week since my car's engine got hydro-locked with all this flooding due to non-stop rain. Weather here is going to be the same into early November, heat and humidity with a high chance of afternoon thunderstorms. :smh:

How was the bike fit? What was changed?

He did quite a bit, raised the seat and moved it more forward which got me in a more upright position. This is more comfortable for me since I’m not super flexible. I’ve dealt with VMO cramps for years and recently widened my stance which finally helped that.

Also got a new saddle and longer stem. The new position has my upper quads and glutes way more engaged than previously. I use to feel a lot of pressure on my lower quad and inner quads but now it feels much more balanced. Only done a few rides tho so body is still adjusting.

May I please ask who on here rides your bike for recreation, or transportation, or both?

It seems like most on here ride bikes for recreation, especially based on some who post their times and distances on rides with technology like GPS, etc.

I just ride my bike strictly for transportation for local trips. It saves so much gas. I'm actually glad I ride my bike for local distances because it seems fast for me.

I also ride my bike to a specific local spot and lock it up there with 2 u-locks if I have to make trips that require public transportation. I'm glad I can lock my bike behind whenever I have to take public transportation because most of the time either the train or bus drops me off directly at my destination, or I just have to walk a short distance after I get off. But there are a few instances when I have to take my bike with me on public transportation because it doesn't drop me off anywhere close to my destination and my bike eliminates a long walk that way after I get off.

I honestly never expected to get a bike in late February 2020, but a circumstance caused me to get one. I don't regret getting it either.

May I please ask who on here rides your bike for recreation, or transportation, or both?

It seems like most on here ride bikes for recreation, especially based on some who post their times and distances on rides with technology like GPS, etc.

I just ride my bike strictly for transportation for local trips. It saves so much gas. I'm actually glad I ride my bike for local distances because it seems fast for me.

I also ride my bike to a specific local spot and lock it up there with 2 u-locks if I have to make trips that require public transportation. I'm glad I can lock my bike behind whenever I have to take public transportation because most of the time either the train or bus drops me off directly at my destination, or I just have to walk a short distance after I get off. But there are a few instances when I have to take my bike with me on public transportation because it doesn't drop me off anywhere close to my destination and my bike eliminates a long walk that way after I get off.

I honestly never expected to get a bike in late February 2020, but a circumstance caused me to get one. I don't regret getting it either.
In retrospect, I wish I biked for transportation when I lived in San Francisco. For whatever reason, I was just scared to ride in SF since buses, cars and what not are pretty crazy. Also I work corporate and coming in the office sort of sweaty can be sort of odd but now that I have been riding, I think I could have gotten used to my commute and even used the bike ride as natural coffee to wake up.

In retrospect, I wish I biked for transportation when I lived in San Francisco. For whatever reason, I was just scared to ride in SF since buses, cars and what not are pretty crazy. Also I work corporate and coming in the office sort of sweaty can be sort of odd but now that I have been riding, I think I could have gotten used to my commute and even used the bike ride as natural coffee to wake up.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

San Francisco streets always looked zany to me with what you mentioned. They have so many inclines that are steep, so that could really wear you out riding on those conditions. And those trolley things constantly running on the streets.

That's a good point with trying to avoid not looking right with sweating in dress clothes coming into the office or workplace setting if it's a corporate job.

I picked up a pair of the Nike mens super rep cycle on Tuesday for $50. They were at the Nike clearance outlet in Arizona Mills mall in Tempe close to Phoenix. They had the white and green (cyber) colorways.

It's a great way to start off the day. But yeah a shower is almost always necessary.

Damn no updates in here for a while. Was looking for some recommendations for some biking gloves. Need something thin and preferably with a little bit of grip/texture.

Digging those, actually love the color. Do you own a pair? Are they a snug fit? In the pic they look kinda loose. Always hard for me to size gloves since I have kinda weird sized hands.
I unfortunately don't own a pair. Perhaps you can DM them on IG to see how the fit is? They are pretty active anyways on there.

Starting to entertain the thought of getting a road bike. I love riding fixed but it def has its limitations. So much research to do

Hey question since mash ya local shop do you know if they still have the floral toe cages in store
I think from the last time I ordered from them that they just shipped from their shop. So if they don't have it online, then they don't have it in store.

Their online inventory is what they have. I called them earlier this year for something and that’s what they told me 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm in a bind now because I rely on my bike for transportation to the market, various local spots, and to a Metro train station.

I've had my bike for almost 2 years now, but never took it in for a tuneup/maintenance yet.

I called a local bike shop yesterday to get an estimated time if I took it in, and they told me 2 to 3 weeks because they're backed up other bikes that were brought in. They shortened their hours of operation during this pandemic in addition to being understaffed.

Then I called REI to get an estimated time as well, and they told me it would take about 72 hours if I brought it to them.

I know local bike shops specialize in bikes by default since they deal strictly with them. But is REI credible as well for tuneups?

I don't know what to do because it would be hard for me to live without my bike for 2 weeks or longer if I took it to the local bike shop. And I'm not sure if REI is reliable for tuneups since they deal with more than just bikes, but their time isn't so bad.

How would I be able to get around while my bike is in a shop for a tuneup? I understand tuneups could be done within the same day if it was normal times, but that's clearly not the case now. Would this be a valid reason for me to own another bike to prepare for events like this?

I'm in a bind now because I rely on my bike for transportation to the market, various local spots, and to a Metro train station.

I've had my bike for almost 2 years now, but never took it in for a tuneup/maintenance yet.

I called a local bike shop yesterday to get an estimated time if I took it in, and they told me 2 to 3 weeks because they're backed up other bikes that were brought in. They shortened their hours of operation during this pandemic in addition to being understaffed.

Then I called REI to get an estimated time as well, and they told me it would take about 72 hours if I brought it to them.

I know local bike shops specialize in bikes by default since they deal strictly with them. But is REI credible as well for tuneups?

I don't know what to do because it would be hard for me to live without my bike for 2 weeks or longer if I took it to the local bike shop. And I'm not sure if REI is reliable for tuneups since they deal with more than just bikes, but their time isn't so bad.

How would I be able to get around while my bike is in a shop for a tuneup? I understand tuneups could be done within the same day if it was normal times, but that's clearly not the case now. Would this be a valid reason for me to own another bike to prepare for events like this?
REI bike repair is top notch.

Yea I would say bike tune-up is pretty universal and REI tends to employ legit mechanics and they obviously back their work if anything goes wrong.

I think you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom