The Bicycle Thread

REI bike repair is top notch.

Yea I would say bike tune-up is pretty universal and REI tends to employ legit mechanics and they obviously back their work if anything goes wrong.

I think you should be ok.

Thanks for verifying that tuneup service at REI is legitimate. I had a feeling their turnaround time would be faster because they're a larger operation with more manpower and longer business hours than a local bike shop.

I admit I have qualms about going to their closest location to me because it was previously looted by losers using social unrest as justification to steal. And there have been a rash of smash-and-grab robberies around town recently. Perhaps I should inquire if my bike would be reimbursed while in their possession in case incidents like those are rehashed.

But have any of y'all had experience with not having your bikes to rely on while it was in maintenance for over one day like I may have to deal with? Does it mean I'll have to actually walk to where I need to go locally for a few days if I leave my bike at REI? I have a hard time fathoming that because I'm so used to riding my bike locally because it gets me around much faster than walking. Or do y'all have a spare bike for events like this?

And is it worth getting another bike? Does anyone on here own two bikes? Can you please clarify your reasons if you do? Since biking is my transportation, would it be conducive for me to own two bikes so I can go between both and have a spare whenever I take one in for a tuneup?

Thanks for verifying that tuneup service at REI is legitimate. I had a feeling their turnaround time would be faster because they're a larger operation with more manpower and longer business hours than a local bike shop.

I admit I have qualms about going to their closest location to me because it was previously looted by losers using social unrest as justification to steal. And there have been a rash of smash-and-grab robberies around town recently. Perhaps I should inquire if my bike would be reimbursed while in their possession in case incidents like those are rehashed.

But have any of y'all had experience with not having your bikes to rely on while it was in maintenance for over one day like I may have to deal with? Does it mean I'll have to actually walk to where I need to go locally for a few days if I leave my bike at REI? I have a hard time fathoming that because I'm so used to riding my bike locally because it gets me around much faster than walking. Or do y'all have a spare bike for events like this?

And is it worth getting another bike? Does anyone on here own two bikes? Can you please clarify your reasons if you do? Since biking is my transportation, would it be conducive for me to own two bikes so I can go between both and have a spare whenever I take one in for a tuneup?

Man, sounds like you got a lot of other questions in life besides just your bike. Just curious, what's causing you to want to take the bike to a shop? Is it because its just routine maintenance or is there a major problem that you're dealing with? If its a major major problem, might be best to find a reputable bike shop to diagnose and repair. Otherwise for standard routine maintenance, you should be perfectly fine at a place like REI.

Now a days, there are so many alternative ways to get around if you don't have your bike. Not sure where you live but there are those electronic scooters by lyft and lime that you can use to get around. Obviously public transportation like bus and metro. Or worst case if you need, just call Uber for a ride.

I think you're overthinking it too much.

Last edited:
Man, sounds like you got a lot of other questions in life besides just your bike. Just curious, what's causing you to want to take the bike to a shop? Is it because its just routine maintenance or is there a major problem that you're dealing with? If its a major major problem, might be best to find a reputable bike shop to diagnose and repair. Otherwise for standard routine maintenance, you should be perfectly fine.

Now a days, there are so many alternative ways to get around if you don't have your bike. Not sure where you live but there are those electronic scooters by lyft and lime that you can use to get around. Obviously public transportation like bus and metro. Or worst case if you need, just call Uber for a ride.

I think you're overthinking it too much.

Routine maintenance since I've had my bike for almost 2 years now. I feel there's major problems too with the conditions of my bike. Perhaps I should have taken my bike in for a tuneup annually since I got it.

I do use public transportation if I have to go farther. But I'll be using it less on the bus now since Metro began charging again yesterday. I always ride my bike to a Metro station and lock it up adjacent to there if I have to take a train.

Those electric scooters are so slow. It's funny that I actually went faster than them on my bike.

Uber & Lyft cost too much, even locally.

Honest just take public transportation or foot it. Really no magical answer on how to get around. Rental bikes if you have them in your area. Here in PDX they’re everywhere.

not sure if all REI’s bike departments are created equal, but I trust the folks in my area. They know their bikes, but honestly I have so many local shops I just go to one of them.

a day or two without your bike won’t kill your pockets if you need to use alternate transportation. Or phone a friend with a car or bike that you can borrow 🤷‍♂️

I'm finally posting pictures of my bike that I've had for almost 2 years. I got it in late February 2020. It's a Specialized.
IMG_5824.JPG
IMG_5825.JPG

This is the headlight I use for riding when it's dark outside.
IMG_5828.JPG

This is the taillight I use for riding when it's dark outside.
IMG_5829.JPG

Man really thinking of copping a mountain bike now with the sparse availability vs spring and no availability.
Funny im thinking of selling mine since we are having a kid this year. Will eb super hard to make time. I love the bike too. YT Jeffry. Hopefully it isn't too hard to sell. My road bike on the other hand doesn't seem to garner too much interests.

I think its the local market though. CL, Offer Up, Etc. are terrible here in PDX. Everyone over charges on their listing and low balls insanely. On the other hand in CA I would of been sold everything.

Both are right. In Norcal/Socal though, listings absolutely have no problem selling even old bikes for new bike prices.

I finally dropped my bike off for a tuneup/maintenance at a local bike shop this afternoon. I'll have to wait a week for them to check on it and do the work. I'll be living without it for a week.

I'm going to have to get used to walking to my destinations locally for the time being. I'm going to dread that I won't be able to get around fast locally without my bike for a week. But I don't think I have to go somewhere farther while I don't have my bike thankfully because I would dread walking to the local Metro station.

That's why I always recommend having more than one bike if you depend on it for transport - the second one doesn't have to be perfect but even if you get out to the garage in the morning and you have a p*ncture then you don't have to waste time fixing it - just take the other one and do it at your leisure.

Taking that to a ridiculous level though I just bought a 7th bike. I've wanted a folding one for a while and found this advertised locally. It's heavy and cheap but it'll do what I want it to - and if I like it I might look at getting a better (lighter!) one.

2022-01-16 18.17.52-1.jpg

I live in Colorado where we wear shorts in blizzards so I'm still biking. Using my E Bike more given the wind and cold temps.

Anyone still biking? Thread has been kind of quiet lately. Here’s the ride I did on MLK. Will be warming up to do a possible NorCal to SoCal ride later this year.

Just got this Canyon ultimate and picked up some Hunt Wheels

46567D57-2CC1-40DB-8FB9-6DA27B45496F.jpeg

F7FA6F6D-A58C-47A7-8FB1-26D60D1C9B84.jpeg
Damn you were in the Monterey area this whole time… I just moved from there a few months ago. Hit up Giannis pizza for me.

I mean it is winter sir. Which Hunt wheels did you get and how you like them?

Yeah I figured a lot of the people on the East coast are on hiatus right now with the snow. I have the Hunt Aero 50. Love the wheels. They hold speed like crazy going downhill. My buddy who has regular low profile wheels was peddling downhill and I was keeping up with him just cruising.

Yeah I figured a lot of the people on the East coast are on hiatus right now with the snow. I have the Hunt Aero 50. Love the wheels. They hold speed like crazy going downhill. My buddy who has regular low profile wheels was peddling downhill and I was keeping up with him just cruising.
Snow hasn't been bad considering, I even got a fat bike for snowy days but maaaaaan it takes a lot pushing that joint 6 miles uphill. I'll be riding my regular hybrid in 15 degree weather tomorrow for my commute and will be my coldest ride yet. Wish me luck :lol:

I don't get too much snow here where I'm at (DMV), but we had more snow than our typical years. Also been really cold. Picking up a smart trainer later today to hopefully help with the itch until it gets a bit warmer for me to ride outside.

Back
Top Bottom