The Bicycle Thread

I hear you with loading the bike up and driving to the trail, I hate that part and with the 29er its pretty much impossible to fit the bike in my car. I pretty much destroyed myself last summer while on a trail. Hit a jump, came down on coal and the bike slid out. 6hrs of plastic surgery later and i was out of the hospital, not fun. I got pretty reckless last summer on the trails and thats why I think its time to switch to the road bike. as far as my price range, anything close to 1k would be fine. I really do not know much about the road bikes tho but some of them that were posted in this thread look real nice. any info would be appreciated.

Only thing with switching is now you have to lookout for cars. I ride in the LA area and surrounding areas so it's packed with cars so you always have to be on your toes. I got hit last year and luckily wasn't too bad.

As far as your price Trek and Specialized offer a couple models in your range. The Allez and the Trek 1.2 is under 1k. Road bikes are expensive, entry level pricing starts around $700. Cheaper components, most of these bikes will be outfitted with 9-speed Shimano Sora. The frame material of course drives the price up, aluminum vs carbon fiber. But what drives price up is also the groupset. Three different component brands out there. SRAM, Shimano, and Campagnolo. I started with a Trek 2.1 when i started riding and fell in love with cycling. Close to a year later i sold it and bought the BMC i posted on the first page.

Last edited:

Last edited:
How much would it cost to to paint a bike frame? I have a Fuji Newest 3.0 (Road bike) everything is stock. So that would mean taking off everything even stripping off the og paint. Then Id have to get everything put back together. Now take into consideration that I have no experience in doing this so I'd have to take it to a shop. I mean the bike itself isn't anything special, it goes for 500-700 hundred or cheaper, new. But I am due for a tune up/ check up soon. Need new brakes, tires, grip tape, and I want to add on things like fenders and new handle bars. Only thing I really have a concern with is the removal of the brakes and gears or what every you call it :lol:

So worth it?

How much would it cost to to paint a bike frame? I have a Fuji Newest 3.0 (Road bike) everything is stock. So that would mean taking off everything even stripping off the og paint. Then Id have to get everything put back together. Now take into consideration that I have no experience in doing this so I'd have to take it to a shop. I mean the bike itself isn't anything special, it goes for 500-700 hundred or cheaper, new. But I am due for a tune up/ check up soon. Need new brakes, tires, grip tape, and I want to add on things like fenders and new handle bars. Only thing I really have a concern with is the removal of the brakes and gears or what every you call it :lol:

So worth it?

I don't think it would be worth it. The cost alone of stripping all the components on the bike then having them installed again alone would run you at least a few hundred bucks. I'd have no idea what it would cost to paint though. Honestly if you wanna customize a bike find a cheap, bare aluminum single speed frame that can be painted and buy the parts one by one. Will make a fun project and will be nowhere near as expensive. Can even paint it yourself. Friend of mine did this with his bike, stripped the old paint off and repainted it himself, was a fixie.

I don't think it would be worth it. The cost alone of stripping all the components on the bike then having them installed again alone would run you at least a few hundred bucks. I'd have no idea what it would cost to paint though. Honestly if you wanna customize a bike find a cheap, bare aluminum single speed frame that can be painted and buy the parts one by one. Will make a fun project and will be nowhere near as expensive. Can even paint it yourself. Friend of mine did this with his bike, stripped the old paint off and repainted it himself, was a fixie.

I have a frame that I was looking at doing that to but two problems arose. First, it has a small dent in the front part of the frame. Secondly. it is not meant to be a single gear bike due to the back of the frame ( not sure how to explain it but it has to do with the placement of the wheel) so I'm assuming buying the gears and brakes will be pricey.. Thirdly, I bought the bike from a friend who "picked it up" when he saw it fall off a car in the street, so i stripped it down put it still has the code imprinted in the frame.

^__^ 

Those Low's are really cool. Was thinking bout ordering one but I didn't wanna wait 7-9 months or whatever it was. ;\

Last edited:
I went to get a quote on getting a framed painted here in SF. He was some local guy too that did it in house. Nice guy but he was charging about $600. Passed and ended up picking up that Super Pista instead.

I went to get a quote on getting a framed painted here in SF. He was some local guy too that did it in house. Nice guy but he was charging about $600. Passed and ended up picking up that Super Pista instead.

$600???? Please tell me thats a typo.

Yeah, $600 is ridiculous.

I just had my fork done for $60 - whole bikes were something like $200 at the same place - that's proper paint with a clear coat. Any more colors starts adding a bit.

$400 would get you just about anything you want.

You can often get it done cheaper at a local place - especially powdercoat - but you want a recommendation so they know what they are doing. If you get it done badly you'll pay again to get all the threads cleaned up etc so you can put it back together.

I had Bianchi Pista chrome at the time. He had to take apart the whole bike, sand it down from the chrome, apply decals, add two tone paint and some coating that cost extra and then assemble the bike. I thought he was crazy too cause I just wanted it white with a pearl shine with Bianchi decals. He's a nice guy but his work varies cause I see some crap from his work and some gems.

This is his bike actually. Sprayed by him and assembled:

http://www.behance.net/ubesicecreamshop/frame/2687659

Last edited:

wat

I have never seen that before.

Is there ANY advantage to that fork?

Last edited:
wat

I have never seen that before.

Is there ANY advantage to that fork?

It's a lefty fork, Cannondale's proprietary front fork. Lighter than a traditional fork and supposed to be stiffer. Can also change a tire without having to take the wheel off.

Last edited:
here's the bianchi pista that i picked up on craigslist around thanksgiving time for $350.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom