The Bicycle Thread

Anyone ride with a top tube/stem back? Trying to decide between getting one or either a half frame bag or handlebar bag. My only issue is that I’ve heard that top tube bags can interfere with pedaling as it might rub your knee form time to time.

I just got the Chrome Helix handlebar bag. Seems ok to me but ever since I got bib shorts and a jersey, I just try to stuff everything in the jersey. I have a little saddle bag from Ornot which houses a tube, tool and tire levers.

Allows me to ride fairly light, and have had no issues for rides less than 4-5 hours.

My boy swears by this one. Says it’s the best saddle he’s had and doesn’t give a **** it for women. He goes on 100+ mile rides FYI. Been meaning to get it but I got bib shorts recently and that helped comfort a lot.

i'm gonna check that saddle out, i also need some bib shorts to aid in comfort

any recommendations for bib shorts?

My sister has those tires on her commuter bike...

They're fine - lasted her quite well, decent puncture resistance and reasonably well rolling.

If you want something like that I like the Schwalbe Marathon Racer - they’re the lightest of their endurance type tyres and I use them on my winter commuter. Similar tread to the Vittoria ones but a bit more robust. I’ve had 2 sets in about 6 years - every few years I just change them for new ones. Other than that I haven’t had them off which is what you want in tyres really.

My best bike has Maxxis High Road tires - they’re supposed to be a race tire but I’ve found them decent. That bike only really goes out when the weather is nice though so that helps.

I don't really know much about bike tires, can you educate me? I have a fixed gear bike with track geometry that i ride on the street if that matters. Right now I'm running Serfas Seca in the front and Schawlbe Marathon Plus in the rear with my current wheelset.

I am but man, the hardest thing about recovering is just how to pass the time. I cleaned both my bikes yesterday to assess damages and I got lucky with real minor things. Now I just want to buy and fix them up, learn how to change flats and just other things I’ve been meaning to know.

that's how i was when i got sick during the start of the 'rona lockdown, i was out of work for 3 weeks. After I shook off that nasty fever, I bought some tools and started working on repairing my car. I changed the majority of the interior bulbs to LEDs, fixed the door lock actuators and power window motor regulator, and then changed out the entire stock suspension to coilovers.

Also, that's what lit a fire under my *** to cop a bike :pimp:

For bibs shorts go to Amazon, ego-daily brand. They fit amazingly and look pretty cool. About $30 a pop, I just went ahead and bought a whole bunch of different colors.

I posted a picture here before of my saddle which is a brooks c17. And loving it so far.

i'm gonna check that saddle out, i also need some bib shorts to aid in comfort

any recommendations for bib shorts?

I don't really know much about bike tires, can you educate me? I have a fixed gear bike with track geometry that i ride on the street if that matters. Right now I'm running Serfas Seca in the front and Schawlbe Marathon Plus in the rear with my current wheelset.

that's how i was when i got sick during the start of the 'rona lockdown, i was out of work for 3 weeks. After I shook off that nasty fever, I bought some tools and started working on repairing my car. I changed the majority of the interior bulbs to LEDs, fixed the door lock actuators and power window motor regulator, and then changed out the entire stock suspension to coilovers.

Also, that's what lit a fire under my *** to cop a bike :pimp:

I got the Rapha Core Bib Shorts for $115. It's my first pair of bib shorts so I can't compare it to much, but they are very comfortable to me. I had padded liners before and these are 1000 times better for long rides. Now I know why bikers wear bib shorts. :lol:

I think someone on here had mentioned Rapha's bib shorts don't last long, I can't speak to that but so far I really like them. Plus $115 is much better than dropping $200-300 on some of the others I have seen. The cargo Rapha ones are dope also since they have a few additional pockets. They run for $150.

Those Rapha core shorts are pretty good - it you can get decent ones from less boutique brands for $50-80. Less than that and they get a bit flimsy IMO.

I’ve never seen the need for a bag - unless I’m going to a meeting where I have a commuter bike backpack - skinny and with a frame to hold it off your back. Enough for an iPad and bits and pieces.
Everything else goes in my jersey pockets - I’ve done 100 miles unsupported like that and managed fine. I don’t even have a saddle bag now - I have a pack for my centre pocket with tubes and a pump in it.

I don't really know much about bike tires, can you educate me? I have a fixed gear bike with track geometry that i ride on the street if that matters. Right now I'm running Serfas Seca in the front and Schawlbe Marathon Plus in the rear with my current wheelset

What size do you want/ can you fit?

If it’s proper track geometry then you can probably only fit 25s.

Schwalbe make good tyres for city riding. I like the Marathon range for that and they come in a good range of sizes. Basically wider is more comfortable and resilient (less psi = more cushion) but will be heavier and slower (once you get past about 28mm wide anyway).

The Marathon plus you have has a 5mm protective layer under the surface which makes them really tough - but really heavy. That’s why I like the Marathon racer for commuting in the winter - they basically look like yours but are a ton lighter and more pliable. Not quite as tough (thinner protective layer) but tough enough IME.

Wow, I just checked their site to see the weight difference - and the plus version is nearly double the weight - that’s a huge amount. Changing to lighter tires would make you feel like you’re flying!

Anyone ride with a top tube/stem back? Trying to decide between getting one or either a half frame bag or handlebar bag. My only issue is that I’ve heard that top tube bags can interfere with pedaling as it might rub your knee form time to time.

I'd rather ride with small backpack. Think i'm gonna go with that velocity pack that Chao321988 Chao321988 posted

For bibs shorts go to Amazon, ego-daily brand. They fit amazingly and look pretty cool. About $30 a pop, I just went ahead and bought a whole bunch of different colors.

I posted a picture here before of my saddle which is a brooks c17. And loving it so far.

bet, gonna check out those bibs

I got the Rapha Core Bib Shorts for $115. It's my first pair of bib shorts so I can't compare it to much, but they are very comfortable to me. I had padded liners before and these are 1000 times better for long rides. Now I know why bikers wear bib shorts. :lol:

I think someone on here had mentioned Rapha's bib shorts don't last long, I can't speak to that but so far I really like them. Plus $115 is much better than dropping $200-300 on some of the others I have seen. The cargo Rapha ones are dope also since they have a few additional pockets. They run for $150.

$115?!!

dZw.gif

Thierry Henry Thierry Henry yup fizik arione. they fit me pretty well plus i like the streamline look. have one on my fixed gear also

just looked up the arione, and that nose looks longer than a regular saddle

What size do you want/ can you fit?
If it’s proper track geometry then you can probably only fit 25s.

Schwalbe make good tyres for city riding. I like the Marathon range for that and they come in a good range of sizes. Basically wider is more comfortable and resilient (less psi = more cushion) but will be heavier and slower (once you get past about 28mm wide anyway).

The Marathon plus you have has a 5mm protective layer under the surface which makes them really tough - but really heavy. That’s why I like the Marathon racer for commuting in the winter - they basically look like yours but are a ton lighter and more pliable. Not quite as tough (thinner protective layer) but tough enough IME.

Wow, I just checked their site to see the weight difference - and the plus version is nearly double the weight - that’s a huge amount. Changing to lighter tires would make you feel like you’re flying!

right now I'm running 700x25c all around, but I can probably fit a 28c max. I got miche pistard wheelset coming in and i think 28c might be the widest tire those can fit

The tightest point is usually the fork/front brake. If you have about 5mm clearance all around you could probably manage 28s. Closer leads to rubbing and problems if you pick up a stone.

Tire sizes are variable too - sometimes they can vary by 3mm and a different rim makes a big difference too. There’s not a great solution to that other than try it though.

I want to pick up a road bike but Covid is holding me back. Some bike shops won’t let me test ride the bike or even touch it. Then stock is limited because everyone want a bike and shipments from overseas are slow. I’m thinking if I holdout until December or January I can probably get a good slightly used bike from people who are over the bike phase of Covid.

I did this on a 26in BMX. If it didn’t get cold and windy I probably would have did more. Riding with friends give you that extra push.
62E24A21-AA6B-49BB-B997-B7D49374D95B.jpeg

30 miles on a bmx? Crazy!

I once rode my 24" one 2 miles to work because I wanted the wheels tensioned (bike shop next door) and it practically killed me.

I might have to check out those Rapha shorts eventually, but the bib and cargo short are both OOS at the moment. I'm digging Rapha's vibe overall, seems like the have quite a selection for commuters and more laxed gear. I'm trying to avoid dressing in "full kit" as they'd call it, but it seems like proper shorts are necessary more than anything.

I might have to check out those Rapha shorts eventually, but the bib and cargo short are both OOS at the moment. I'm digging Rapha's vibe overall, seems like the have quite a selection for commuters and more laxed gear. I'm trying to avoid dressing in "full kit" as they'd call it, but it seems like proper shorts are necessary more than anything.
Rapha has quality. I went with their core. I like em. I also have Castelli Entradad which are excellent imo as well.

I like more toned down kits, but I like riding in full kit regardless of the stereo type. Its just much more comfy, and perform for a reason.

Funny with Covid, a lot of people I know are getting into cycling and are kitted out riding like 10 miles a week in their neighborhood on 10k bikes. Cycling is already expensive, but once the hypebeast start getting into it, prepare for the prices to skyrocket lol.

Just finished installing a Tiagra 4700 group set on my old 1990's specialized frame. With Covid going on, it was just too hard to find the bike I wanted. Was going for a Gravel bike this time around.

Instead, I saved a bunch and pieced together the new Tiagra group and installed in on an old frame I just cant seem to let go. Its been with me since the early 2000s. Converted from its original 7-speed drivetrain to a 10-speed. Had to just spread the rear drops a bit, which is what is great about old steel. Feels much more modern with vintage touch and feel. I will post pics once I get the bar tape installed later today.

This thing rides lovely. Never had a carbon bike, but I will forever ride steel.

Anyone know where to get decent decals at? I got it repainted (powder coated), because the original paint was in rough shape.

buying some new bike stuff, i figured id shop amazon since most bike shops r sold out

was gunna grab some pedals, white pair for the bianchi and black for the specialized, what yall think?
i might buy some straps to keep my feet on the pedals
Amazon product ASIN B07QLLCWGH
da specialized has some 700x24cs on there that are cracked.
was thinking of picking up these which are 25-622 which should still fit right? i have them on my bianchi and no complaints so far. is it worth putting in new tubes at the same time?
Amazon product ASIN B07L4XC2Z5

was looking at these tubes
Amazon product ASIN B01FG3PJ24
might cop a pump too to throw in my saddle bag, if any of u can recommend one for a road bike tire

Last edited:
I want to pick up a road bike but Covid is holding me back. Some bike shops won’t let me test ride the bike or even touch it. Then stock is limited because everyone want a bike and shipments from overseas are slow. I’m thinking if I holdout until December or January I can probably get a good slightly used bike from people who are over the bike phase of Covid.

I did this on a 26in BMX. If it didn’t get cold and windy I probably would have did more. Riding with friends give you that extra push.
62E24A21-AA6B-49BB-B997-B7D49374D95B.jpeg
repped for bmx, thought i was the only one maybe besides turbo....
I ride 20's with a cassette, no brakes :blush:

Just 3. And actually just the top 2 are mine. 👀
- all black '96 Cannondale Super V, bought used in 2015
- blue/silver '12 Giant OCR2, bought used in 2017
- black/red/blue '17 Giant Anyroad, bought used earlier this year for my son

Back
Top Bottom