The Bicycle Thread

Any of you have an indoor trainer? Thinking of getting one but don’t really want to spend too much.

Just got one this summer. My friend sold it to me for cheap since his wife bought a peloton. It's just a basic trainer. I love it so far. Use it just for a quick cardio session before lifting weights since I hate running. Easy to set up and doesn't take up much space when put away.

Toured from NJ to NYC today

A14B8356-450E-4F5D-9F2F-D1FB7D27CE85.jpeg

Went out for 26 today - just out and back on flat roads to get the miles in for this month challenge thing. I signed up for 200 and I’m on 171 already - and I think I missed a day. I’m sure I did something on Wednesday but it’s not in my tracker.

Looks like I could make 300 with a bit of effort - I have to tell them in a week if I want to jump up to the next one.

Just curious. What is everyone's average miles within an hour ride? I am doing like 14-15 miles within my hour ride and I wonder if that is decent or if I need to step it up. Granted I ride where there are stop lights but it's pretty flat so I shouldn't be losing a ton of time but I feel like I am going slow for whatever reason. Seeing people do half century to century rides, I feel like that would take me forever to accomplish. I figure with fatigue and terrain, I would average like 10 miles per hour unless I have a lot of downhill to ride.

Just curious. What is everyone's average miles within an hour ride? I am doing like 14-15 miles within my hour ride and I wonder if that is decent or if I need to step it up. Granted I ride where there are stop lights but it's pretty flat so I shouldn't be losing a ton of time but I feel like I am going slow for whatever reason. Seeing people do half century to century rides, I feel like that would take me forever to accomplish. I figure with fatigue and terrain, I would average like 10 miles per hour unless I have a lot of downhill to ride.
Similar for me -- about 15 miles in an hour, but it depends a lot on how often I have to stop (for roads) and if there's traffic (on bike trails).

I'm usually in the 15-20 mph range when I have a clear path. If I get passed, it's by some kid who is pedaling like his life depends on it, and then I pass them a minute later when they're stopped on the side of the road with cramps (this really happened lol), or it's a really good biker who is effortlessly doing 20-25 mph.

I feel like that is a good pace for myself, and the bigger issue is if I can sustain it. So it's a matter of taking care of my body beforehand and then starting with a moderate pace so I don't put too much stress on my joints before I warm up. All that said, I max out at around 30 miles for a ride, so I have no idea how my body would hold up on a century ride.

For the century I did we averaged around 14 mph, which felt really fast. We did take turns pulling at the front so that kind of conserves some energy. There were some climbs where our pace would drop to like 4-5 mph but we also had descents where I hit 40 mph. That ride had 7 hours moving time with 10 hours total elapsed time, so we took a lot of breaks.

I guess I am on an average pace. I am going to try and push for a longer ride this coming up week. Probably just try and hit 25-30 miles. I follow only a few people on Strava and I see people doing like 40-50 mile rides all the time. I guess I just have to put some longer hours in my ride.

All you fixed gear riders run no brakes?

No brakes, i just ride way more carefully. I only mash the pedals when there's not a lot cars, intersections, and the road is relatively flat.

New pickup
20201017_174324.jpg

$4k on a carbon frame ain't bad at all

What seatpost is that?

Are you riding the track bike or the road? If it was the track bike then i understand. But with a road bike i could easily do like 40 miles with three or four breaks in like 2 hours.

It could also be your body is not trained for long distances at the moment. Maybe you need to do some HIIT for conditioning and lower body weight training for get those legs stronger.

No brakes, i just ride way more carefully. I only mash the pedals when there's not a lot cars, intersections, and the road is relatively flat.

$4k on a carbon frame ain't bad at all

What seatpost is that?

Are you riding the track bike or the road? If it was the track bike then i understand. But with a road bike i could easily do like 40 miles with three or four breaks in like 2 hours.

It could also be your body is not trained for long distances at the moment. Maybe you need to do some HIIT for conditioning and lower body weight training for get those legs stronger.
Its an S works Pave carbon seatpost
20201019_104501.jpg

For the century I did we averaged around 14 mph, which felt really fast. We did take turns pulling at the front so that kind of conserves some energy. There were some climbs where our pace would drop to like 4-5 mph but we also had descents where I hit 40 mph. That ride had 7 hours moving time with 10 hours total elapsed time, so we took a lot of breaks.
40 mph?! I’d definitely die :ohwell::ohwell: SC roads so trash...

Finally did a decent ride. I started losing it though around mile 30-39. My legs, *** and back started to go out. I guess I have to condition more to do these long rides.

6AAE77BB-871B-4B08-94C6-DF5678683A6E.jpeg

557960BE-5339-4221-BCCF-9B341A4657EC.jpeg

I had a feeling you were using your road bike. Before your accident, how was your physical fitness and how long were your rides on average?

ya mans MakeNTGreatAgain MakeNTGreatAgain got brakes and still out here running into parked cars 🤦‍♂️

Hahahaha

tumblr_nby0b3728L1qjm2elo1_500.gif

I had a feeling you were using your road bike. Before your accident, how was your physical fitness and how long were your rides on average?

I mean 4 years ago, I was going to the gym like 3-4 times a week. Cardio was only about 2-3 mile runs per workout. Then the inevitable happened and I got married and had a kid and just haven’t had a good routine in a while. The bike was a total Covid decision so a pretty new hobby. My rides in general are only 10-20miles. The day of my accident, I was doing 29 miles before I fell. So I haven’t done a long ride like that till today. I guess I just need more longer rides and perhaps better routes. The bridge on the way back home sort started the soreness since it was a bit of an incline.

Back
Top Bottom