The Bicycle Thread

Today’s ride

8588E4D3-A96E-4F8B-9C46-ABDE560B5895.png

My brother had a customer of his gift this to him
I gladly took it off his hands

now what do I do next
Or can someone let me know what how much I’ll be putting into this build

I wouldn’t put any serious money into that - but it will be a fun project and you’ll end up with a decent bike.

I’ve done similar before and the easiest way is to find a donor bike from the same era - you can use the wheels and other drivetrain parts from that. A bike from then shouldn’t cost much - and ideally you get one with a broken frame or something so it’s cheap.

Seatpost is one part where you’ll have to get the correct one. You might get one on eBay once you know the size.

Anyone in NYC recommend a bike shop? Copped a 61 inch frame in 2015 and remember dropping like 900 for it. these prices have risen. im looking for a small frame bike since the one I have is giving me issues when I ride in long spurts.

Anyone in NYC recommend a bike shop? Copped a 61 inch frame in 2015 and remember dropping like 900 for it. these prices have risen. im looking for a small frame bike since the one I have is giving me issues when I ride in long spurts.

You try taking it to a bike fitter to see if you can get better fitted to your bike?

Even if you mean 61cm that’s pretty huge. That’s the right size for someone approximately 6’4”. How tall are you?

I’m still a newb to the biking community and I’m looking to get new tires. I have a specialized Allez.

what are good tires to buy? I live in NY and ride in the streets a lot so I have to deal with gravel and lots of pot holes. I’d like to get something that can withstand the roads and still be light.

I’m still a newb to the biking community and I’m looking to get new tires. I have a specialized Allez.

what are good tires to buy? I live in NY and ride in the streets a lot so I have to deal with gravel and lots of pot holes. I’d like to get something that can withstand the roads and still be light.

A lot of roadies run the Conti GP5OOO, from what I've read they're suppose to be the best

GP5's are great. Roll amazing and are fast. But they wear quick. As far as Gravel that will be based on how big of tires you can go on the Allez. Potholes, nothing really you can do but avoid them.

20201218_102637.jpg

Bought this on offerup but I think I overpaid..stumpjumper sworks for 1900. Took out to the trail and found the brake levers get stuck and not release back fully..the bike shop said I have to replace the brake...any recommend on brakes? Looking to spend under 300.

20201218_102637.jpg

Bought this on offerup but I think I overpaid..stumpjumper sworks for 1900. Took out to the trail and found the brake levers get stuck and not release back fully..the bike shop said I have to replace the brake...any recommend on brakes? Looking to spend under 300.
Shimano Deore Hydro are pretty good without breaking the bank.

20201218_102637.jpg

sweet freaking ride

after putting my bike in the back of an SUV just once it got old already

gonna look for a bike rack to put on one of my vehicles

ideally something that doesn't take up much space because it's already pretty tight in the garage

open to any suggestions
What kind of cars do you have? I have a Saris Bones on 2 of my cars and I love it.

-foe

I have a roof rack which can take 4 bikes - but it takes up tons of space and kills the fuel economy.

Next car I want a tow hook so I can mount one there - much easier to put them there and more out of the wind. It also means I can use the roof storage box at the same time.

I have a roof rack which can take 4 bikes - but it takes up tons of space and kills the fuel economy.

Next car I want a tow hook so I can mount one there - much easier to put them there and more out of the wind. It also means I can use the roof storage box at the same time.
I just bought a Kuat Transfer 3 bikes rack for my suv...super solid and secure

What kind of cars do you have? I have a Saris Bones on 2 of my cars and I love it.

-foe
I have a Honda Pilot and CRV

got a Kuat Sherpa 2.0

got lucky and found one on craigslist listed for $400...talked him down to $350

he said he used it 5 times and got it spring of last year...only selling because he needs something to handle electronic bikes

the Kuat is light, easy to put one and take off, doesn't take up much room

they make them to fit 1.25" and 2" receivers...the receiver on my Pilot is 2" and the one I bought was 1.25 so I just had to buy the adapter for it

31Cwx3R9YpL._AC_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom