The biggest choke job in sports history...

I know a lot of you dont watch hockey but we just witnessed the biggest choke job in professional sports history a few minutes ago.

The Boston Bruins were up 3-0 in their series with the Philly Flyers. The Flyers ended up winning game 4 at home in overtime. In game 5, the Flyers' 2nd string goalkeeper (1st string keeper was out for the season with an injury) got hurt and their 3rd string keeper came in. They ended up winning 4-0. In game 6, the Flyers (now starting with a 3rd string goalie) narrowly beat the Bruins 2-1.

So it comes down to game 7 tonight in Boston. Only 3 teams in sports history have won a series after being down 3-0. The Flyers are using their 3rd string goalkeeper. The Bruins come out to a flying start and take a 3-0 lead in the 1st period. And yet, the Flyers score 4 goals in a row and end up winning the game and the series 4-3.
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by primetime21

i stay say the 1998 vikings hold that honor still
There have been plenty of times in sports history where teams have choked away games but what happened in this Bruins/Flyers series is on another level.

Maybe the Flyers winning the series tonight would not have been as big of a deal (still a huge deal though) if they had won tonight's game easily. However, the Bruins not only blew a 3-game lead, but they blew a 3-goal lead in the deciding game...at home...against a banged up team...and I think when you factor everything together, this is the biggest choke job ever.

It's like they choke twice, losing the series and losing even after being at 3-0

2006 Dallas Mavericks did essentially the same thing, except they didn't actually win game 3 which was a choke in itself since they were up 13 with 4 minutes to go

the 2007 Dallas Mavericks won 67 games and got the #1 seed, only to lose to the 40 win #8 seed Warriors. MVP Dirk Nowitzki, scored 8pts on 18%FG shooting in the elimination game 6

I want to say the 04 ALCS, but considering the entire roster needs a * makes me think otherwise.

i cant believe it ... i went to the beach and versus isnt part of the package we got so i was blown, planned on going to a bar but chose otherwise when i saw it was 3-0
laugh.gif
... i get done watching a few movies and i see the score was 4-3 ... i thought the bottom line guy made a typo ...

eek.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by primetime21

i stay say the 1998 vikings hold that honor still
There have been plenty of times in sports history where teams have choked away games but what happened in this Bruins/Flyers series is on another level.

Maybe the Flyers winning the series tonight would not have been as big of a deal (still a huge deal though) if they had won tonight's game easily. However, the Bruins not only blew a 3-game lead, but they blew a 3-goal lead in the deciding game...at home...against a banged up team...and I think when you factor everything together, this is the biggest choke job ever.

don't get me wrong its in the top three but the vikings will always be number 1 this series  number 2 and 200 alcs number 3. that was for the right to go to the super bowl they had the best offense in nfl history.they should have destroy the falcons.

it's a big choke, but not the biggest in history.... historically, it'd have to be 04 yankees because of the significance. we all know the details of that one.

in terms of the bruins-flyers series.... neither team were considered cup contenders to begin with, it was a 6 vs. 7 seed matchup in the second round, whereas the Red Sox and Yankees were both considered 1 and 1A in terms of World Series contenders. neither Bruins or Flyers had any real superstars. Red Sox Yankees were loaded with Superstars. There's no David vs. Goliath storyline in this series. there's no real history or rival between these two teams either (other than a couple of years in the 70's). and most of all, nobody in America really cares.... this choke job happen and most still consider Cavs-Lebron to be a bigger choke.

When I think of choke in sports that only thing that comes to mind is either the Mets in 07 or Yankees in 04. 

not only was it 3-0 in the series. Bruins had a 3-0 lead in game 7.
I was at a bar wit buncha Boston fans, they were ready for war. I went home early and called it a nite cus I already saw where it was headed
laugh.gif

Blazers 2000 Game 7 Western Conference Finals CHOKE job. Up 15 points with 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter:

Definitely the 04 Yanks or some of the Golf "choke jobs". Greg Norman anyone? But this was a big one

Whenever I talk about sports chokes, this will be included in the discssion.

A 3-0 series lead culminates into a Game 7 in which the team that had the 3-0 series lead now sits on top of a 3-0 score in the first period... and they lose the game/series.

No, I didn't watch a minute of it, so I have to say the biggest choke I ever saw was, indeed, the 2004 ALCS.

Well for me it is also the Yankees because of how good of a team they were. The Bruins were good but had flaws, just got exposed the last 4 games, haha

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

not only was it 3-0 in the series. Bruins had a 3-0 lead in game 7.
I was at a bar wit buncha Boston fans, they were ready for war. I went home early and called it a nite cus I already saw where it was headed
laugh.gif

With this being said. How isn't in the biggest choke in history? 

Epic fail, yes, but the 2004 Yanks win.

I know i'm making excuses here, but we had to deal with the loss of Krejci and Sturm while they got back Gagne. Were we still good enough to win one game? Absolutely. So thats what makes it a choke to me. But they just were not the same team after Krejci left game 4.

Back
Top Bottom