The College Basketball Post

Ready or not, the NBA prepares you better for the NBA than college :nerd:
I don't necessarily agree with that. Ask Grant Hill or Tim Duncan that question. I firmly believe that playing major minutes for a college program is just as, if not more beneficial than riding pine in the pros.

Austin would have been THE MAN if he had remained at school. No question he would have been a much better player if he played at Duke for 2 or even 1 more season. Just my opinion though. We'll never know.

Ready or not, the NBA prepares you better for the NBA than college :nerd:
I don't necessarily agree with that. Ask Grant Hill or Tim Duncan that question. I firmly believe that playing major minutes for a college program is just as, if not more beneficial than riding pine in the pros.

Austin would have been THE MAN if he had remained at school. No question he would have been a much better player if he played at Duke for 2 or even 1 more season. Just my opinion though. We'll never know.

You don't know that though. Alot of kids get exposed when they return to school and become "the man". Like someone said earlier, get that 3 years contract before the NBA realizes you aren't that good.

That's not an exact science.

There's a counter for every situation you can bring up.

There's Grant Hill and Tim Duncan. There's also Kobe Bryant and Kevin Garnett.

There's Austin Rivers. There's also Kyrie Irving.

Development is on the individual.

Lebron and Chris Paul explain it best

^ask James Michael mcadoo or even Marcus smart about that

Exactly. I forget but was blake griffin a predicted lottery pick in mock drafts after his freshman season? Or was it a no brainer to return to school

^ask James Michael mcadoo or even Marcus smart about that
Smart is still likely going to be a lottery pick. His season didn't expose him nearly as bad as some people made it out to be. I'd value the fact that he held his own with the USA development team last summer over anything that happened this season.

McAdoo on the other hand...
Exactly. I forget but was blake griffin a predicted lottery pick in mock drafts after his freshman season? Or was it a no brainer to return to school

Last edited:
He'll be a lottery pick, but could have been the #2 overall pick last year most likely. Blake griffin would have been a lottery pick and I feel like James harden would have been a first round pick. Obviously those 2 made great decisions.

Smart is still likely going to be a lottery pick. His season didn't expose him nearly as bad as some people made it out to be. I'd value the fact that he held his own with the USA development team last summer over anything that happened this season.

McAdoo on the other hand...

Smart was the number 2 pick dropped at least 4 spots.

Sullinger would have been a top 5-7, dropped out of lottery.

Barnes would have likley been a top 3 pick dropped to 7.

Willie Warren was going to be a loterry pick, faded into bolivia.

Mitch McGary would have been a top 20 pick, lucky to make the first round now.

I could go on and on, Blake Griffin is a rare exception.

Smart was the number 2 pick dropped at least 4 spots.

He dropped from #2 by default just based on who's in the draft this year. Doubt very seriously any teams would have had him on their boards above Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins.

Last edited:
You guys....I don't think Zach LaVine will be anymore than a solid pro at best. He's closer to Ben Mac than anyone else and look how he's fairing in the NBA. One thing that doesn't change much once you get to college (and eventually the pro's ) is your skill set. In rare cases it does, in most cases it doesn't. He's not going to go to the pros and all of a sudden be able to put the ball on the floor and be able to create for himself and others. The issue with Zach is that he can't put it on the deck more than twice without either chucking up a long two or making a pass. This is why I feel like the whole "he can play point" is ridiculous.

If he maximizes his potential maybe he can become a good 2 guard who can score off of pin downs and screens, but from watching UCLA this year, he just can't create with the ball. This is why if I'm being honest, he probably should go to the league because he would have been exposed had he come back for another year.

Certain skills you just don't acquire, if you don't have them by a certain point. Putting it on the deck and creating is one of them.

Last edited:
He dropped from #2 by default just based on who's in the draft this year. Doubt very seriously any teams would have had him on their boards above Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins.

irrelevant point is he has improved nothing.

He's the exact same player.

Now Smart went back because he wanted to stay thats fine, but there really sin't any other practical reaosn to comback for a guy like Smart.

He cost himself a year of wages, one year farther away form second contract. big price for college experience.

You guys....I don't think Zach LaVine will be anymore than a solid pro at best. He's closer to Ben Mac than anyone else and look how he's fairing in the NBA. One thing that doesn't change much once you get to college (and eventually the pro's ) is your skill set. In rare cases it does, in most cases it doesn't. He's not going to go to the pros and all of a sudden be able to put the ball on the floor and be able to create for himself and others. The issue with Zach is that he can't put it on the deck more than twice without either chucking up a long two or making a pass. This is why I feel like the whole "he can play point" is ridiculous.

If he maximizes his potential maybe he can become a good 2 guard who can score off of pindowns and screens, but from watching UCLA this year, he just can't create with the ball. This is why if I'm being honest, he probably should go to the league because he would have been exposed had he come back for another year.

QFT.

This idea that Zach Lavine has a really good handle is wild to me. He was a crossover move, if it doesn't work, he chucks up a shot or passes the ball.

When you are in a position of a Smart, Rivers, etc. you leave after your freshman year 9 times out of 10. You don't gain anything for staying in college for one more year.

Media types applauded Smart for staying too.

"What a good kid"

"So humble, wants to grow with his teammates"

"An example to other prospects"

Too bad he came back to a bad coach and an ok team in a good conference and didn't improve any of the holes in his game.

He could be playing for Orlando right now this month getting paid 4 million, instead he went home early in the tournament for free.

That vid was very dope.

Willie Warren had stupid talent smh. Struggle for combo guards, man.

In case Rook and VICTOR missed it, I DID say "we'll never know".

I DO agree that a lot of stay or go decisions are based on money. I don't know though. Why leave early to get a better contract which in some of these guys cases will be their ONLY contract because they will be out of the L once that rookie deal is up.

As opposed to staying in school to refine your game so that you can make more of that long term money on multiple contracts (Shane Battier, Gerald Henderson).

I understand that you have four year guys like Harangody or Daniel Ewing who still end up out of the L anyway. But those guys were not talented enough for the NBA to begin with.

I guess I'm just confused as to who exactly is gassing these guys into thinking they are good enough to go pro early. :lol:

I DO agree that a lot of stay or go decisions are based on money. I don't know though. Why leave early to get a better contract which in some of these guys cases will be their ONLY contract because they will be out of the L once that rookie deal is up.

As opposed to staying in school to refine your game so that you can make more of that long term money on multiple contracts (Shane Battier, Gerald Henderson).

Because playing in college doesn't "refine" your game.

You just get older.

we've been through this.

Last edited:

I understand that you have four year guys like Harangody or Daniel Ewing who still end up out of the L anyway. But those guys were not talented enough for the NBA to begin with.

I guess I'm just confused as to who exactly is gassing these guys into thinking they are good enough to go pro early. :lol:

The issue here is that there's a huge myth going that has people believing that if you stay in school it'll "Refine your game" for the NBA.

This just isn't the case. These players have been tab'd as NBA prospects, so what can they gain by staying in school, and playing in a system that doesn't mirror the NBA at all (College)?

This is a tough game for Michigan, Tennesse is going to win the possession battle by a lot I think.

Michigan gotta be 40% from 3 or better, they can do it, I would hate to bank on it.

Back
Top Bottom