The Combat Jack Show Thread

Yeah I felt in the beginning Parks an em had the argument then towards the end he was sounding dumb.

Motown was Pop tho, they made soul and **** obviously but they had some pop sensibilities and aspirations and they were being received as such.

Tbh it seem like Pop radio really havent ****ed with us since the Motown era. Those _’s dominated and broke barriers

Edit: It’s like how Drake is obviously a rapper but I wouldn’t be mad if you called him a pop act at the same time

Last edited:
I gotta hear how Joe and nem put it. Berry Gordy was definitely about crossing over and making "happier" sounding R&B but Marvin, Temptations, Smokey, Stevie was not pop music. Diana Ross was probably the most pop sounding artist they had.

Motown was Pop tho, they made soul and **** obviously but they had some pop sensibilities and aspirations and they were being received as such.

Tbh it seem like Pop radio really havent ****ed with us since the Motown era. Those _’s dominated and broke barriers

Edit: It’s like how Drake is obviously a rapper but I wouldn’t be mad if you called him a pop act at the same time

Please don't repeat this.

Motown wasn't pop.

Who on Motown was pop?

White people were taking Motown music to make it pop.

Who was the pop artist? Stevie? Smokey? Four Tops? Marvin? Temptations? Not even Diana Ross was pop.

Just because a song might become popular, doesn't make an artist or their music pop.

If Motown was making pop music back then black people wouldn't have been messing with them.

I get so tired of Mal and Joe when they get on they "black men are the most persecuted" soap box.

It's wild. You can do that overall as far as this country, or in certain aspects, but the way they do it is sort of crazy. You just tell a story of how someone is selling their body to get by, and then you talk about we need protection. :lol:

That's some internet stuff. That's why I know Mal was participating in those twitter comments back then.

I gotta hear how Joe and nem put it. Berry Gordy was definitely about crossing over and making "happier" sounding R&B but Marvin, Temptations, Smokey, Stevie was not pop music. Diana Ross was probably the most pop sounding artist they had.

He wanted an artist more palatable for white ears in image and song

I'm with Joe & Mal on that front tho, everyday i go on social media and hear how black men have all this privilege.... As a black man in terms of how society views us there is none. However this whole victim olympics thing is lame anyway & i swear this "gender war" that's constantly being tuned up on Social media is legit a form of cointel/propoganda

Is there a difference in pop and do wop music?

It's wild. You can do that overall as far as this country, or in certain aspects, but the way they do it is sort of crazy. You just tell a story of how someone is selling their body to get by, and then you talk about we need protection. :lol:

That's some internet stuff. That's why I know Mal was participating in those twitter comments back then.

As sure as I am that black men are persecuted you won't ever catch me trying to quantify our "suffering" to compare to how bad it is to be a black woman. Mal def thinks he's a victim smh

I'm with Joe & Mal on that front tho, everyday i go on social media and hear how black men have all this privilege.... As a black man in terms of how society views us there is none. However this whole victim olympics thing is lame anyway & i swear this "gender war" that's constantly being tuned up on Social media is legit a form of cointel/propoganda

The way I look at it is that it's the same way white folks think to themselves that white privilege doesn't exist but they more often than not can't see it because the way life is setup to hide certain things behind societal norms. So even if I can't list whatever privilege I have, I know for certain black women have it BAD, and I'm not in the line of work to compare struggles, just as you say "victim Olympics" .

I'm not in it to win the argument of who has it worse

And black women have had our backs, and have been the only ones having our backs. So I was like, bruh :ohwell: You can't be this dense. Especially after your issues and past comments.

You can't be doing the whoa is me thing and we have it worse. Yeah we might be locked up, but they're out here working two jobs raising kids by themselves. It's not a either or thing, we need to uplift each other.

It was real MAGA and how they try to play the victim these days.

The way I look at it is that it's the same way white folks think to themselves that white privilege doesn't exist but they more often than not can't see it because the way life is setup to hide certain things behind societal norms. So even if I can't list whatever privilege I have, I know for certain black women have it BAD, and I'm not in the line of work to compare struggles, just as you say "victim Olympics" .

I'm not in it to win the argument of who has it worse

That is my point tho neither side has it worse we our equally in a ****ed up situation in this country, however there is a serious push by twitter feminist (Again i'm convinced some of these people are placed to simply cause disruption in the black community) to make it seem as if black men are greatly benefited in this society. And using that as a way to mobilize young impressionable black women to think that Black men are their oppressors & have no love for them. and over the past few years i've seen that mindset grow online.

These pages are trying to draw a real resentment towards straight black men

Is there a difference in pop and do wop music?

Do wop was before Motown.

A lot of their artist got full albums nothing but soul R&B. Marvin's What Goin On, I Want You albums straight soul R&B. They had a lot albums like that. They was just great at making catchy more upset R&B and turning them into hits. Even the Jackson 5 was like a younger version of Smokey and Miracles. Temptations My Girl and Ain't too proud to beg was just upbeat R&B records. Stevie Wonder's songs in the key of life album that's straight R&B.

That is my point tho neither side has it worse we our equally in a ****ed up situation in this country, however there is a serious push by twitter feminist (Again i'm convinced some of these people are placed to simply cause disruption in the black community) to make it seem as if black men are greatly benefited in this society. And using that as a way to mobilize young impressionable black women to think that Black men are their oppressors & have no love for them. and over the past few years i've seen that mindset grow online.

and you don't think some of this we caused, because how we acted and talked about black women online?

And there are pages that do the same for another demographic. I just can't see myself talkin' about how bad I have it with Twitter accounts pushing a narrative when black women have it worse AND they also have Twitter accounts pushing narratives as well.

It's one of those arguments that I kinda look at as "Good point, but at what cost?"

and you don't think some of this we caused, because how we acted and talked about black women online?

Nah i'm not rolling with that at all, surely **** head comments were made online by black men. but my experience online has not been filled with those experiences the majority of the time, and usually those who say dumb **** like that are random loser ****** "trolling" with nothing more than a few followers on Twitter. That compared to women with 50-100K worth of followers, doing speaking engagements, writing books, becoming correspondents for networks etc etc & trying to spread this narrative is way more damaging.

Please don't repeat this.

Motown wasn't pop.

Who on Motown was pop?

White people were taking Motown music to make it pop.

Who was the pop artist? Stevie? Smokey? Four Tops? Marvin? Temptations? Not even Diana Ross was pop.

Just because a song might become popular, doesn't make an artist or their music pop.

Bruh a big part of the Motown agenda from Day 1 was to craft some Soul **** that could infiltrate Pop radio and White America :lol:

Like Maximus Meridius Maximus Meridius said, Berry was very much about making some radio friendly **** with pop appeal.

They would record tracks and Berry would put it in a sequence with the other Top 5 selling Pop songs of that week. If it didn’t hold up with the other tracks it got rejected and _’s would have to go rework em and come back with new **** at the next quality control meeting. Some of their biggest tracks were rejected initially :lol:

Thats also why they wasn't just trotting anybody out tho. You had to get groomed up, act a certain way etc. He sincerely believed if they came correct they could change the perception of Black musicians in White America.

Edit: With that said, I'm not reducing Motown to just Pop-Soul by any means. They had their own special sauce and really tapped into the heart of the black spirit. But Motown definitely changed what Pop music was and could be at the time and that was their intent from Day 1

Nah i'm not rolling with that at all, surely **** head comments were made online by black men. but my experience online has not been filled with those experiences the majority of the time, and usually those who say dumb **** like that are random loser *****s "trolling" with nothing more than a few followers on Twitter. That compared to women with 50-100K worth of followers, doing speaking engagements, writing books, becoming correspondents for networks etc etc & trying to spread this narrative is way more damaging.

So you're rolling with black men being outraged by some comments online, but women...nah, not possible :lol:

How big of a following does Tariq have?

Bruh a big part of the Motown agenda from Day 1 was to craft some Soul **** that could infiltrate Pop radio and White America :lol:

Like Maximus Meridius Maximus Meridius said, Berry was very much about making some radio friendly **** with pop appeal.

They would record tracks and Berry would put it in a sequence with the other Top 5 selling Pop songs of that week. If it didn’t hold up with the other tracks it got rejected and _’s would have to go rework em and come back with new **** at the next quality control meeting. Some of their biggest tracks were rejected initially :lol:

Thats also why they wasn't just trotting anybody out tho. You had to get groomed up, act a certain way etc. He sincerely believed if they came correct they could change the perception of Black musicians in White America.

Edit: With that said, I'm not reducing Motown to just Pop-Soul by any means. They had their own special sauce and really tapped into the heart of the black spirit. But Motown definitely changed what Pop music was and could be at the time and that was their intent from Day 1

He was making soul music that sold. That would be no different than Def Jam trying to sell with LL.

He wasn't trying to make pop music. Pop music was white music in the 60's and 70's.

There is a distinct difference and there wasn't a blueprint to what he was doing. His competition was Stax, not white labels.

So you're rolling with black men being outraged by some comments online, but women...nah, not possible :lol:

How big of a following does Tariq have?

I'm rolling with the idea that there are huge platforms who have gone beyond just twitter or some lame attempts at jokes... in order to really try and cause division in the black community, many of them being backed by white liberal investors & the mouth pieces usually come from black women & gay men... who usually hold some real affinity towards those same white liberals.

This form of thinking isn't just some clapbacks because some dudes were talking down on women.

He was making soul music that sold. That would be no different than Def Jam trying to sell with LL.

He wasn't trying to make pop music. Pop music was white music in the 60's and 70's.

There is a distinct difference and there wasn't a blueprint to what he was doing. His competition was Stax, not white labels.

Stax was white founded/owned and way less ambitious until Al Bell took over in the 70s

Berry Gordy competition was the world bro that’s why the **** was so polished up, he was using the hottest Pop tracks in America as a barometer for Motown. He ran that **** like a corporation.

Stax was seemingly on some more laid back mom and pop **** at first. Plus they were integrated and had white people over there (Booker T and the MG’s etc) from the jump. Just straight up listening to the Stax catalog it’s obvious their **** was more raw/grittier and overall just had a lot less polish than Motown, likely because they weren’t as intense with the Pop aspirations right off the bat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom