The Combat Jack Show Thread

Yeah I just see a point in putting Tyler in a conversation regarding top guys.

He has a fan base but I don't know if it's anywhere near the core fan base of hip hop who decides those things.

From a pure artistry standpoint Tyler could outdo a lot of rappers. He is up there with the likes of Thug creatively.

Yeah agreed, You can definitely tell Tyler is from that Pharrell cloth …. I know he has a huge core/cult like following but I never looked at him as being close to the “big 3”

I think Travis is closer than him

definitely respect what’s he’s doing though

I tried to put myself in Mal shoes for this event. In no scenario did that moment end up being broadcast.

And I see ice has a new bad take for the pod every week. Where was he going with that?

Cole worked his a** off to get to where he's at. Here go bucky trying to pull him down for no reason at all.

"Just let me be great"

I have to go back and listen, but I took it as

I thought he was saying that he's a better rapper/producer and overall artist than Cole.

I'm not in the Cole fan club. I always thought people liked the idea of Cole, and I've always wondered where this loyal diehard fanbase he has came from. Does the college talk represent them and the got in to him during that period of their life?

Like people will say Drake doesn't have a classic, but neither does Cole.

I think being a better rapper or artist are two different things for me. Some people group it together. Like I can say King Los or Cyhi are excellent rappers, but are they good artist?

I thought he was saying that he's a better rapper/producer and overall artist than Cole.

I'm not in the Cole fan club. I always thought people liked the idea of Cole, and I've always wondered where this loyal diehard fanbase he has came from. Does the college talk represent them and the got in to him during that period of their life?

I think being a better rapper or artist are two different things for me. Some people group it together. Like I can say King Los or Cyhi are excellent rappers, but are they good artist?

Cole is kinda cut from the same cloth as Ye with about half the talent (which is still a huge compliment). Cole is clearly the betters rappers rapper but he initially used to live and die on the "I rap, I produce, I engineer" stance until public pressure told him to just stick to the raps lol.

Cole is also the epitome of the everymans rapper. He went to college etc and found his dream. Alot of people can relate to that.

I actually saw Cole for the first time in like 08 while I was still in school in NC. I had a bunch of friends from Fayetteville, I prolly only paid 10 bucks to see Wale and Cole was actually opening for him at the time. To watch his career from there to now has been extremely cool. I'm sure that many others around my age feel the same way and share similar experiences.

this. It’s not even so much about tyler here and about WHO exactly people think J Cole is. He has this”top 3” allure based on sales and that’s it. I’m missing this elite pen that makes it disrespectful to have this discussion. It’s all optics. You’d think Cole really was some Nas level rapper the way some ****** talk about him.

Cole is kinda cut from the same cloth as Ye with about half the talent (which is still a huge compliment). Cole is clearly the betters rappers rapper but he initially used to live and die on the "I rap, I produce, I engineer" stance until public pressure told him to just stick to the raps lol.

Cole is also the epitome of the everymans rapper. He went to college etc and found his dream. Alot of people can relate to that.

I actually saw Cole for the first time in like 08 while I was still in school in NC. I had a bunch of friends from Fayetteville, I prolly only paid 10 bucks to see Wale and Cole was actually opening for him at the time. To watch his career from there to now has been extremely cool. I'm sure that many others around my age feel the same way and share similar experiences.
He insists on trying to be artsy when he’s not that great of an artist. Beats are ok at best, hooks are trash and is just boring at times. He just needs to tap and leave the other **** alone as he peaked with FNL for me.

I think it’s too early to say what Tyler is. Feels like he’s still growing and tinkering with new sounds and styles. The Pharrell influence shines through all of it, though.

I don’t even think of Tyler in the same lane as Cole. They both rap and produce, but Tyler is a lot more experimental with stuff. I guess it depends on how much you value that.

I’m just enjoying seeing what direction he goes with it next. No need to compare.

I never really took Tyler serious as a rapper since him and Odd Future first came out. They was just on some corny ****. :lol:

Some of his newest features cool. He be on Gibbs and Westside Gunn **** but I ain't tryna listen to him for a whole project.

Yeah. Yo been had a lane. That corny, od troll humor just ain’t appeal to some of us. And the production was for a certain crowd. Not me.

Hearing him on some more traditional/other type beats, and with Drama & some rappers not in his associate acts wheelhouse is a change of pace, and more for me.

Im cool on never diving into odd future catalog tho

Damn I hate when I gotta put the Cole cape on. :smh:

First of all, outta the “big 3” there’s ONE clear person who does not deserve the reverence. And it’s not Cole or Kendrick. ****** started hating Cole after Wet Dreams, and Twitter ran with it so it stuck. But in terms on being on the top, not sure how Cole is always viewed as the odd man out when there’s a ***** not writing rhymes. We heard references and all that, but he’s still “top 3”.

as far as the Tyler topic, he can rap his *** off. But I’m not putting him up there at the top. I’ll throw Wale up there before Tyler. Put Tyler in the next tier with Rocky, Ross, Meek, etc. if we have to categorize him. And as far as sales, he got the 15-30 white people rocking with him. He’s a pop artist now so it makes sense.

I think it’s too early to say what Tyler is. Feels like he’s still growing and tinkering with new sounds and styles. The Pharrell influence shines through all of it, though.

I don’t even think of Tyler in the same lane as Cole. They both rap and produce, but Tyler is a lot more experimental with stuff. I guess it depends on how much you value that.

I’m just enjoying seeing what direction he goes with it next. No need to compare.

I think you can compare, because Tyler doesn't really get included in that class

It's Drake, Cole, Kendrick, Wale, Sean...

He insists on trying to be artsy when he’s not that great of an artist. Beats are ok at best, hooks are trash and is just boring at times. He just needs to tap and leave the other **** alone as he peaked with FNL for me.
He's actually been alot less artsy in this last couple years. Early Cole was way more creative imo.

That year of just features was great for Cole imo. He proved he could rap with anyone and kill. If there were top 3-5 conversations regarding the current crop of rappers he may be deserving off that alone.

People are having serious talks about Baby taking the top spot from Drake (an artist to the likes we've probably never seen before). Not knocking baby at all but if that's true then yeah cole up there. Baby has way more work to do imo.

Last edited:
Cole is the rapper _'s begged and pleaded for during the Hip Hop is Dead era :lol:

Cole tough. Probably one of my favorite rappers of the past 10-12 years. I get why *****s sleep on him, or call him boring tho. Seems like it started as a meme, and ppl bought in and just kinda branded that. And he kinda did too :lol:. He’s more of an interesting/diverse artist than ppl and even him, give him credit for. But I get he not everybody cup of tea. His fans can and used to be annoying and pretentious. But he’s the realest rapper in the game.

18-19 Cole was refreshing. Especially for him to be a vet like that, and make dope compilations and features. FNL still top tier. And FHD official.

Cole is the rapper _'s begged and pleaded for during the Hip Hop is Dead era :lol:

I think that's Kendrick more than Cole

Cole is an underground artist who just happen to cross over and become major. I've been listening to Cole type artist for 20+ years.

So Nore and Beans going on it on who would win a verzus. Comments between them, beans, Guru wild

Nore may of had bigger commercial hits and introducing Pharrell but Beanie is getting nore outta here imo. Beans on too many classics and classic albums.

Roc the mic
Feel it in the air
What we do
Do it again
Once again it's on
Ignorant s
The roc with cam
Can’t go on this way
Somehow someway
Guess who’s bizzack
Cash money ****
Resivor dogs
1-900 Hustler
Nothing Like it

just off top, idk what ya think? feels like it would be jada vs fab. Not sure how the CNN stuff would play out, War Report a classic

Cole tough. Probably one of my favorite rappers of the past 10-12 years. I get why *****s sleep on him, or call him boring tho. Seems like it started as a meme, and ppl bought in and just kinda branded that. And he kinda did too :lol:. He’s more of an interesting/diverse artist than ppl and even him, give him credit for. But I get he not everybody cup of tea. His fans can and used to be annoying and pretentious. But he’s the realest rapper in the game.

18-19 Cole was refreshing. Especially for him to be a vet like that, and make dope compilations and features. FNL still top tier. And FHD official.

I don’t get off season hate. Im huge cole fan & off season is his best album. Least in his top 3 with fnl and fhd. I know JBP (Joe) feel that way too. Production is great and it’a top tier rapping, esp first 8 tracks or so

i get why ppl hate cole, but lot of it was a meme that took off.

He got lot of solid work and features though. Even if you don’t like him; impact is there from the sales, selling out ARENAS (prolly only 4-5 rappers who can do arenas). For ppl who been fans since day 1, great to see that kind of rise.

Don’t get why we gotta compare, ppl can like both and u can big up tyler w/o knocking cole

Last edited:
I never really took Tyler serious as a rapper since him and Odd Future first came out. They was just on some corny ****. :lol:

Some of his newest features cool. He be on Gibbs and Westside Gunn **** but I ain't tryna listen to him for a whole project.

I think Earl was the only one who I looked at as a rapper rapper

and I thought Odd Future were on some weirdo cornball ****.

I think as Tyler's gotten older he's matured and grown more in to the Kanye/Pharrell lane.

Back
Top Bottom