The days of illegal downloading coming to an end

so Comcast basically has been sending me emails saying they are tracking my !$*$ with a list of pirated material i have downloaded via torrents..
30t6p3b.gif

"Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act"

Originally Posted by 4318MichaelJohnson4318

Originally Posted by Enchanted1

buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist.

Wait.... so millions of people who pirated his music is somehow negated by a smaller portion of people who went to see him in concert?
a small percent? are you serious? average ticket price is 5x more than a cd cost. And most artist are making what 1 dollar max per cd? Have yall seen the mark ups on cds? Artist are only getting what up to 2 bucks a cd. Im sure the tour breakdown is a lot more. And millions of pirates? When people were buying cds average rapper wasnt going platinum so we can kill that noise.

The money is in touring, appearances, guest verses, and merchandising NOT album sales. Look at Meek Mill, Asap Rocky, Weeknd etc.. all these guys are eating as if they had a album in stores.

Only people losing money off pirating are record labels and retail stores
That's the only part you're wrong about, unless by "average rapper" you mean people like Big Noyd and the like --- guys who have never been on the radio, rarely had videos,
and barely had promotion in general. When buying cds was the norm, damn near everybody was going platinum and gold. Memphis Bleek of all people has 4 gold albums.

Yung Joc has one. Chingy has like 4-5 million total sales. Chingy. Chingy
laugh.gif
. Every major rapper out of Houston was going platinum around time time. Everything came to a stop

though in late 2006, to the point where unless you were Jay, Em, or Kanye, you don't move a damn thing.

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Wait.... so millions of people who pirated his music is somehow negated by a smaller portion of people who went to see him in concert?
a small percent? are you serious? average ticket price is 5x more than a cd cost. And most artist are making what 1 dollar max per cd? Have yall seen the mark ups on cds? Artist are only getting what up to 2 bucks a cd. Im sure the tour breakdown is a lot more. And millions of pirates? When people were buying cds average rapper wasnt going platinum so we can kill that noise.

The money is in touring, appearances, guest verses, and merchandising NOT album sales. Look at Meek Mill, Asap Rocky, Weeknd etc.. all these guys are eating as if they had a album in stores.

That's the only part you're wrong about, unless by "average rapper" you mean people like Big Noyd and the like --- guys who have never been on the radio, rarely had videos,
and barely had promotion in general. When buying cds was the norm, damn near everybody was going platinum and gold. Memphis Bleek of all people has 4 gold albums.

laugh.gif
. Every major rapper out of Houston was going platinum around time time. Everything came to a stop

though in late 2006, to the point where unless you were Jay, Em, or Kanye, you don't move a damn thing.

....it wont matter. these dudes will nit pick, and point out every single difference they can to justify stealing music over buying it.

"oh i stole your music, but i paid for your concert and a few tshirts so we good"
laugh.gif

"i stole your music, but you werent going platinum anyway"

"i stole your music, but i promise to tell everyone i know about how good it is, i got you my dude, i got you *fist bump*"

...thing is though. if your stance is im going to steal it anyway, and i dont care about the quality of music produced, thats one thing.
...but to steal it, and then expect them to still pump out quality product without conpensation is crazy.

If an artists is signed to a label and his album doesnt sale he will not be around very long.

The whole Ill download the album and support him on the road idea is ignorance from the fan's perspective.

Artists eat long term from their music royalites from sales

they eat short term from shows.

Originally Posted by cartune

If an artists is signed to a label and his album doesnt sale he will not be around very long.

The whole Ill download the album and support him on the road idea is ignorance from the fan's perspective.   

....ignorance is when you dont know any better.

...they know, they just dont care. thats arrogance. and thats the mindset of the new generation.

people arent going to start paying for music. if for some reason and by some way they stop me from downloading for free i simply wont download any more music. Most of the music i like is older %@%@ so i already got a lot of it. cant remember the last time i bought music maybe like 2003. Wont start now.

buying cds is nothing these days its about going to the shows or buying if you care about supporting artist.

Actually yes. Some of the biggest artists make more each NIGHT of a tour than their entire album commissions.

my thing is this
the only reason i download is because im bored and want to watch something or play some music
if i dont have the ability to access things for free, i will stop accessing things of this nature and stick to more video games or older music
i have a 1000+ dvd collection and tbs of music so i will be fine
i like my netflix because it's convenient and i like torrents because they are convenient
if this convenience is taken away then i will pass time doing something else

honestly, torrents have INCREASED the amount of media ive purchased because ive been exposed to more

Originally Posted by RNMswag

my thing is this
the only reason i download is because im bored and want to watch something or play some music
if i dont have the ability to access things for free, i will stop accessing things of this nature and stick to more video games or older music
i have a 1000+ dvd collection and tbs of music so i will be fine
i like my netflix because it's convenient and i like torrents because they are convenient
if this convenience is taken away then i will pass time doing something else

honestly, torrents have INCREASED the amount of media ive purchased because ive been exposed to more

Originally Posted by Grimey

does tor hide the torrents?

the tor network routes the information from your browser in a way that makes it appear that you are located in another state or another country.  its kind of hard for average computer users to configure correctly, and the last time i used it it was slow (I don't know if they improved the speed since the last time I used it).

Originally Posted by seasoned vet

laugh.gif

....it wont matter. these dudes will nit pick, and point out every single difference they can to justify stealing music over buying it.

"oh i stole your music, but i paid for your concert and a few tshirts so we good"
laugh.gif

"i stole your music, but i promise to tell everyone i know about how good it is, i got you my dude, i got you *fist bump*"

...thing is though. if your stance is im going to steal it anyway, and i dont care about the quality of music produced, thats one thing.
...but to steal it, and then expect them to still pump out quality product without conpensation is crazy.

You still have yet to prove me that I would of gave artist more money by buying cds than going to their show. YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS. NO ARTIST is getting more than 2 dollars a cd (And thats a STRETCH), TOUR REVENUES AND MERCHANDISE MAKE WAY MORE. Hell ARTIST ARE GIVING MUSIC FOR FREE THESE DAYS.

all you guys are just defending the OLD system of the music industry which basically is just supporting these shady labels. I am 100% against record label in this current music environment.

Lets be honest how many of you guys actually post in the music forum outside of Cartune (who ironically gives out free music)

so Comcast basically has been sending me emails saying they are tracking my !$*$ with a list of pirated material i have downloaded via torrents..
30t6p3b.gif

"Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act"

frown.gif
frown.gif

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

Any chance of me paying for music or movies has gone out the window.

I'll stare at my blank wall if I have to.

**@+ them.

...serious question. is it really that serious?

...what about the inconsistencies in quality from downloading vs owning a physical copy?

Truth be told, its too easy to get quality copies. I dl'd a bluray rip of Tintin last week. My gf the whole time, can't saying I can't believe how good the quality is. And she's right, on a plasma tv it looks better than the movies.

Originally Posted by eyanks

does tor hide the torrents?

the tor network routes the information from your browser in a way that makes it appear that you are located in another state or another country.  its kind of hard for average computer users to configure correctly, and the last time i used it it was slow (I don't know if they improved the speed since the last time I used it).

it's still slow but it's worth learning to use. probably wont get to these other PMs til later guys.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

You still have yet to prove me that I would of gave artist more money by buying cds than going to their show. YOU CLEARLY HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THE MUSIC BUSINESS. NO ARTIST is getting more than 2 dollars a cd (And thats a STRETCH), TOUR REVENUES AND MERCHANDISE MAKE WAY MORE. Hell ARTIST ARE GIVING MUSIC FOR FREE THESE DAYS.

all you guys are just defending the OLD system of the music industry which basically is just supporting these shady labels. I am 100% against record label in this current music environment.

Lets be honest how many of you guys actually post in the music forum outside of Cartune (who ironically gives out free music)

Except for the fact that your opinion completely ignores reality.  Only the biggest artists make money off of touring and merch.  Everyone else barely scrapes by.  This has all been reported for years.
The top 1% of artists account for 82% of record sales: http://digitalmusicnews.com/stories/031011ridiculous

This same trend is reflected in tour revenue(only the biggest acts make significant money): http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/altrep...y-when-touring-only-mainstream-acts-make.html

Smaller acts(i.e. everyone that's not jay-z, lady gaga, and justin bieber) have to play in smaller venues and often don't make enough to justify touring:

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/bands-money-touring

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2010/05/imogen-heap-so-expensive-to-tour.html

And before you say anything about Imogen Heap, while she may be a bit of a niche performer, she's been around for like 15 years and is a grammy winner.  I'll repeat that: a grammy winner can't make money touring

Basically, my entire point is that the only people who use excuse that the artists make their money off of touring are pirates who want to justify pirating and have no idea of how the music industry works.  Artists rely on touring to support album sales. Most bands lose money on their first few tours, including U2 who i think took 3 or 4 US tours to become profitable. Smaller bands don't stand a chance until people start buying their cd's in greater numbers.  They depend on people buying their cd's to recoup advances from labels.  You don't seem to be making the connection between the two.  And before you say don't sign to a label, DIY tours are even worse.  With the increase in gas prices and in a country as vast as the US, it just isn't feasible. 

So just to summarize so that you get the point: new band signs to label>label gives advance>cd sales and touring have to repay the advance>cd sales at an all time low and touring is often unprofitable for smaller bands and it often takes 2-3 tours to become profitable

So what we're left with is a bunch of entitled people who don't want to pay for the cd and say they'll go to the show, which even with their attendance will probably be unprofitable for the band(and really i should say record label because that's whose money is still involved at this point) and eventually the band gets dropped because their cd sales are poor and touring is unprofitable and the band has still made next to nothing because you think going to a show means you can steal the cd

Looks like we are going to have to create our own internet service named FreeNet. We will do no policing of our users and millions will switch to us.

Originally Posted by TroyMcClure

Looks like we are going to have to create our own internet service named FreeNet. We will do no policing of our users and millions will switch to us.

ever heard of Pirate ISP?

Ive always wondered what dudes like Chip the Ripper and Jody Breeze lifestyles are like. Wiz Khalifa before he blew up. Are these dudes living pretty nice? Or struggling to pay rent forcing them to get a job other than music.

In one of Nicki Minaj's songs I think with Drake she said "which %$%%% you know made a million off a mixtape"

Where is the money coming from if its free music? Or is she just jackin lol

Originally Posted by Jay02

Ive always wondered what dudes like Chip the Ripper and Jody Breeze lifestyles are like. Wiz Khalifa before he blew up. Are these dudes living pretty nice? Or struggling to pay rent forcing them to get a job other than music.

In one of Nicki Minaj's songs I think with Drake she said "which %$%%% you know made a million off a mixtape"

Where is the money coming from if its free music? Or is she just jackin lol
i'd say alot of artists early on have a team of people behind them and they all cover the costs banking on the chance of making it big

these guys aren't living lavishly fresh out the gate and some still aren't after having a bigger name

Originally Posted by nosqadupper

laugh.gif

Except for the fact that your opinion completely ignores reality.  Only the biggest artists make money off of touring and merch.  Everyone else barely scrapes by.  This has all been reported for years.
The top 1% of artists account for 82% of record sales: http://digitalmusicnews.com/stories/031011ridiculous

This same trend is reflected in tour revenue(only the biggest acts make significant money): http://www.hipsterrunoff.com/altrep...y-when-touring-only-mainstream-acts-make.html

Smaller acts(i.e. everyone that's not jay-z, lady gaga, and justin bieber) have to play in smaller venues and often don't make enough to justify touring:

http://www.metalinjection.net/its-just-business/bands-money-touring

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2010/05/imogen-heap-so-expensive-to-tour.html

And before you say anything about Imogen Heap, while she may be a bit of a niche performer, she's been around for like 15 years and is a grammy winner.  I'll repeat that: a grammy winner can't make money touring

Basically, my entire point is that the only people who use excuse that the artists make their money off of touring are pirates who want to justify pirating and have no idea of how the music industry works.  Artists rely on touring to support album sales. Most bands lose money on their first few tours, including U2 who i think took 3 or 4 US tours to become profitable. Smaller bands don't stand a chance until people start buying their cd's in greater numbers.  They depend on people buying their cd's to recoup advances from labels.  You don't seem to be making the connection between the two.  And before you say don't sign to a label, DIY tours are even worse.  With the increase in gas prices and in a country as vast as the US, it just isn't feasible. 

So just to summarize so that you get the point: new band signs to label>label gives advance>cd sales and touring have to repay the advance>cd sales at an all time low and touring is often unprofitable for smaller bands and it often takes 2-3 tours to become profitable

So what we're left with is a bunch of entitled people who don't want to pay for the cd and say they'll go to the show, which even with their attendance will probably be unprofitable for the band(and really i should say record label because that's whose money is still involved at this point) and eventually the band gets dropped because their cd sales are poor and touring is unprofitable and the band has still made next to nothing because you think going to a show means you can steal the cd
so are you saying small acts like Odd Future, Asap Rocky, The Weeknd, Wiz Khalifa, Chip The Ripper, etc basically the new generation of artist arent making money? You keep bringing up record sales but that is so irrelevent to rap music right now most artist are GIVING AWAY music no one is even stealing.

Your long wall of text proves you are so out of touch of what is happening RIGHT NOW in the industry, record labels are useless because of the internet.

Back
Top Bottom