The Donald Sterling Thread

An LA based law firm already rejected Sterling as a client
Every lawyer I've read on this agrees that Sterling is ****** if Silver gets the votes.

Like I said before, judge's almost never overturn the decisions of arbitrators. Ask A-Rod.

Plus according to this dude, https://twitter.com/ShawnFNBA he would have to sue all 29 owners seperately and the NBA constitution has a clause which even says if Sterling loses the suit he has to pay their legal fees too. He also states that Sterling is shopping but has been turned down by a few prominent firms already, a good follow if you have twitter

Here is the NBA consistution in its entirety
http://mediacentral.nba.com/media/mediacentral/NBA-Constitution-and-By-Laws.pdf

2.5 million dollar fine
The Commissioner shall, wherever there is a rule for which no penalty is specifically fixed for violation thereof, have the authority to fix such penalty as in the Commissioner's judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. Where a situation arises which is not covered in the Constitution and By-Laws, the Commissioner shall have the authority to make such decision, including the imposition of a penalty, as in his judgment shall be in the best interests of the Association. The penalty that may be assessed under the preceding two sentences may include, without limitation, a fine, suspension, and/or the forfeiture or assignment of draft choices. No monetary penalty fixed under this provision shall exceed $2,500,000.

Ban
The Commissioner shall have the power to suspend for a definite or indefinite period, or to impose a fine not exceeding $1,000,000, or inflict both such suspension and fine upon any person who, in his opinion, shall have been guilty of conduct prejudicial or detrimental to the Association.

3/4 Vote and Forced Sale
[
The Membership of a Member or the interest of any Owner may be terminated by a vote of three fourths (3/4) of the Board of Governors if the Member or Owner shall do or suffer any of the following:

(a) Willfully violate any of the provisions of the Constitution and By-Laws, resolutions, or agreements of the Association.

People keep referencing his past but shouldn't we ignore and look at this situation in a vacuum since the NBA didn't want to establish a line of past actions/comments and connect to the recent leaked tape...? I still think that was/is a mistake on their part. It would make their stance and case seem much stronger and quiet the worry about a single, private, leaked conversation being a reason to revoke ownership

1. Not a court of law, there is no statute of limitations.

2. Silver said; the lifetime ban and fin was based on his comments. but forcing a sale would be based on his entire history.

I don't understand why people consider semantics > moral obligation to society.

Some individuals here are arguing and deflecting blame instead of focusing on the bigger issue at hand.

Sterling is a full fledged racist and bigot and yet people still are justifying his position by focusing on the fact that his convo was recorded in private.

BS!

I've said crazy things in private while being drunk but never to the egregious nature of Sterling. Those are defending him makes me wonder if they share the same sentiments.

I think that is a pretty far leap to suggest that those who are questioning the process and looking at possible bigger picture ramifications share the same sentiments as Sterling. Actually I find it a but ridiculous to suggest. All comments have been civil and it had been a productive conversation

After reading the timeline, I never thought about the ramifications of a firm taking on Sterling as a client....

Firms take on high profile cases which look really bad to the public often. I'd think if they thought they could build a strong case it would be taken quickly.

The collusion argument doesn't make sense to me, these guys are 30 partners in one business. Is it collusion when the shareholders of a company vote to oust one of their board of directors?

It is used in the NFL with their owners so I'd assume that would be able to be used here. Probably going to be tough since there is evidence of his actions

Yeah you are right, that was with the cap deal. Maybe back in the day with teams trying to move? If have to look into it more to see if applied with owners v owners. I don't think it would really help Sterling regardless

I hope yall can see through this charade...I really do.

Wife of Donald Sterling said to have made racial statements, too

It's a ******* joke. You got coaches and players welcoming her back when her hands have dirt on them as well.

PLEASE don't expect these guys to do what's right for a social cause. Only thing that matters to a lot of them is their money. This is not Jim Brown or anyone along those lines. Its a different era. They were no closer to boycotting those games a few days ago than they were last year. **** was NEVER going to happen.

I hope yall can see through this charade...I really do.

Wife of Donald Sterling said to have made racial statements, too

It's a ******* joke. You got coaches and players welcoming her back when her hands have dirt on them as well.

PLEASE don't expect these guys to do what's right for a social cause. Only thing that matters to a lot of them is their money. This is not Jim Brown or anyone along those lines. Its a different era. They were no closer to boycotting those games a few days ago than they were last year. **** was NEVER going to happen.

Can't lie when Doc stated consigning her I lost mad respect

Such a joke w/ Shelly being co-signed...wasn't she posing as some type of agent to peep in minority apartments to help her husbands agenda!? She is scum just like her husband. They both can croak for all I care. Doc Rivers is a clown

Donald Sterling's wife voiced her own racist comments about blacks and Latinos, according to court records
Shelly Sterling — who distanced herself from her spouse’s hate speech in a statement on Monday — was accused in a 2009 deposition related to a federal discrimination lawsuit against the Sterlings of saying that Latinos were filthy and that she had called one of her husband’s tenants a 'black motherf-----.'

BY Kevin Armstrong , Larry Mcshane , Teri Thompson
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Published: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 11:45 AM
Updated: Wednesday, April 30, 2014, 1:44 PM

LOS ANGELES — Clippers coach Doc Rivers voiced his support of Donald Sterling’s wife following Sterling’s lifetime ban of all things related to his team and the NBA Tuesday, although it was unclear if Rivers was aware of reports that Shelly Sterling had expressed her own bigotry against blacks and Latinos in court records uncovered this week.

“It’s a tough one for Shelly (Sterling), really. She didn’t do anything wrong either," Rivers said after Tuesday night’s Clipper victory over Golden State in Game 5 of the NBA playoffs. "You have compassion for her. I kept hearing about the girlfriend. I kept thinking, ‘Shelly is the wife. You know what I mean? I talked to her (Tuesday) and she has been through as much as anyone as well.”

Shelly Sterling — who distanced herself from her spouse’s hate speech in a statement on Monday — was accused in a 2009 deposition related to a federal discrimination lawsuit against the Sterlings of saying that Latinos were filthy and that she had called one of her husband’s tenants a “black motherf-----.”

The accusations, made by tenant Darrell Rhodes, was first reported by the Los Angeles Times.

Shelly Sterling attended Tuesday night’s game at the Staples Center, cheering from a suite rather than her usual courtside seat. She had called Rivers earlier in the day to ask whether he thought it appropriate for her to come.

Rivers encouraged her to do so.

"She's been through as much as anyone," Rivers said. "She asked if she could come. I thought it was a very nice gesture. She just wanted the players to know she loved them. I thought why not?”

Rivers was asked whether he thought Shelly could potentially assume ownership of the team, and he noted that he did not believe such a transfer of power could take place moving forward.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know," Rivers said. "It doesn't sound like it to be honest. I think she knows that, but she still wanted to be here. And I don't know if it was right or wrong but I thought it was right."

A high-ranking NBA source told the Daily News Tuesday that the NBA considered asking Donald Sterling to transfer control of the team to his wife.

The 2009 deposition of Rhodes, along with the Justice Department’s discrimination suit on behalf of other minority tenants, was resolved in a $2.765 million settlement that same year.

Rhodes said he was asking Shelly Sterling about a rent cut when she lashed out, the court documents showed.

“I asked her, ‘Would you reduce the rent?’” Rhodes recalled in the deposition. “And she said, ‘Who do you think you are, you black motherf-----?’

“The way in which she said motherf----- was more lower voiced, under her breath. She said black loud enough for me to hear, she said mother loud enough for me to hear. F--- part was a little lower. I had to look at her lips to hear her say it. And I did.”

Maira Oliva, a building manager at a Sterling property, said there was no lip-reading needed when Shelly Sterling bad-mouthed minority tenants to her.

“She said, ‘Oh my God. This is so filthy. I can’t remodel my apartments the way I want because Latinos are so filthy,’” Oliva recalled in her 2009 deposition.

Asked specifically what Sterling said, Oliva again quoted the billionaire wife’s remark: “I can’t remodel my building the way I want and that the building was filthy because of the Latinos.”

The Sterlings admitted no wrongdoing in their settlement of the lawsuits. But Donald Sterling was accused in court papers of making similar racist cracks about black and Hispanic tenants.

According to the suit, Sterling said he didn’t want to rent to Hispanics because “they smoke, drink and just hang around the building.”

As for black tenants, Sterling was charged with saying they “smell and attract vermin.”

On Sunday, Shelly Sterling denied she is a racist.

“I’m not a racist,” she said. “Never have been, never will be.

Of course the wife shared the same views. She's was trying to play the typical "mob wife" and now she's getting exposed. Nobody can be that naïve, give me a break.

Back
Top Bottom