****The Everything LaVar Ball Thread****

Meh. I'm not here to debate whether or not he should be cocky. He's obviously banking on his kids like these two guys:

Venus.Serena.Richard.jpg

uptown-michael-and-joe-jackson.jpg

If they had twitter and IG, it'd be the same in their era.

Last edited:
It's the brash part that America hates. If he was just confident, then it'd be fine. It wouldn't be bad if Lavar just said his sons will be superstars, but he's making ridiculous, outlandish claims just to generate buzz and it's working big time. When you make claims like "I can beat MJ one on one in his prime." and wanting a 1 billion dollar shoe deal for his kids and saying Lonzo will only play for the Lakers, you're setting really really high standards. The media loves stories like this. if Lavar wasn't so brash, he would be getting less attention.

If LaVar Ball was expressing his views like say Barrack Obama, in a cogent level headed manner, he would be called arrogant, aloof, and dog whistled as an uppity negro.

Some folk don't give a **** about your deliver once they can't stand what you are saying.

-If Stephen A. Smith is ranting against your favorite player, you might think he sounds like a lunatic

But when he uses that same tone to lecture black folk.."Welp, does make a good point"

A more serious example:

-When Obama told black people not to riot, black men to be their for their kids and lectured the community, middle America love that ****.

When told the country that black people's problem were not solved in the 1960s, that we need comprehensive criminal justice reform, when he exposed civil right violations, said we need to stop guns from coming into their communities and said his son would have looked like Tarvon Martin, middle America called him a race baiter.

It is never the tone for some people, it is the content

Race is not everything when it comes to LaVar, how institutions like the NCAA, and corporation view black players and their families, but it does play a part. A big problem in this country when it comes to race, is that folk only want to hear half the truth, the part they agree with, and dismiss the part that makes them uncomfortable.

Last edited:
If LaVar Ball was expressing his views like say Barrack Obama, in a cogent level headed manner, he would be called arrogant, aloof, and dog whistled as an uppity negro.

Some folk don't give a **** about your deliver once they can't stand what you are saying.

If Stephen A. Smith is ranting against your favorite player, you might think he sounds like a lunatic

But when he uses that same ton to lecture black folk.."Welp, does make a good point"

Race is nothing everything when it comes to LaVar and how institutions like the NCAA, and corporation view black players and their families, but it does play a part. A big problem in this country when it comes to race, is like folk only want to hear half the truth, and dismiss the part that makes them uncomfortable.
That's true. Well said.

I'm still not convinced LaVar has an actual message. To me it seems like he's saying whatever is the most controversial or outlandish thing he can come up.

But at least he's initiating a discussion, especially with respect to how the NCAA treats its athletes, so he can keep doing what he's doing. Plus it's entertaining, whether you're a fan or not.

I'm still not convinced LaVar has an actual message. To me it seems like he's saying whatever is the most controversial or outlandish thing he can come up.

But at least he's initiating a discussion, especially with respect to how the NCAA treats its athletes, so he can keep doing what he's doing. Plus it's entertaining, whether you're a fan or not.

I don't get how one can't see his message:

"I'm going to guide my exceptionally talented children through the cut throat world of sports. I want my children to be in control of their own destinies and not be restricted through the conglomerate shoe companies that are reaping the rewards from my kids' hard work.

I'm going to control and create our brand, and that's going to make people uneasy. If it doesn't work out, my kids will have degrees from a top tier institution and some coin from overseas / NBA ball".

One thing I notice in sports basketball and football is that people often times side with management or the boss which is weird since we all deal with wack bosses. It makes folks feel funny that this man in this industry is taking the bull by the horns, and he's letting you know he's going to do it.

Nothing rustles jimmies more than a person who is telling you that they're going to do awesome things and that there isn't much you can do to stop him / her....

And then doing it

Last edited:
Reactions: God

This is my take as a whole as well.

If more Black NBA players had fathers like Lavar MJ wouldn't be the only Black owner in the league.

The more ish Lavar talks the more free advertising his brand receives.

I don't get how one can't see his message:

"I'm going to guide my exceptionally talented children through the cut throat world of sports. I want my children to be in control of their own destinies and not be restricted through the conglomerate shoe companies that are reaping the rewards from my kids' hard work.

I'm going to control and create our brand, and that's going to make people uneasy. If it doesn't work out, my kids will have degrees from a top tier institution and some coin from overseas / NBA ball".

One thing I notice in sports basketball and football is that people often times side with management or the boss which is weird since we all deal with wack bosses. It makes folks feel funny that this man in this industry is taking the bull by the horns, and he's letting you know he's going to do it.

Nothing rustles jimmies more than a person who is telling you that they're going to do awesome things and that there isn't much you can do to stop him / her....

And then doing it
Your last line says it all. At the end of the day, someone's going to have to walk the walk.

Ali talked bigger than anyone and I loved him for it, but it only mattered because he delivered in the ring.

I was just about to ask, has anyone in this thread bought BBB merchandise?

How is the quality?

I'd scavenge the WDYWT thread to see if any NTers are rocking BBB but I don't want to.

Copped.

Its just a regular t shirt with decent quality. Overpriced for sure. :lol:

Gotta support the brand, doe... I'm willing to fork over extra dough for a homegrown product, especially if it's a black man supporting his kids.

I don't know about the other stuff though.

nobody is going to buy that Big Baller garbage, he is just trying to leverage Adidas vs Nike and maybe UA to sign Lonzo

I'd never buy that **** as long as they use that ugly logo and and 1/d up designs.

I was just about to ask, has anyone in this thread bought BBB merchandise?

How is the quality?

I'd scavenge the WDYWT thread to see if any NTers are rocking BBB but I don't want to.

Copped.

Its just a regular t shirt with decent quality. Overpriced for sure. :lol:

Gotta support the brand, doe... I'm willing to fork over extra dough for a homegrown product, especially if it's a black man supporting his kids.

I don't know about the other stuff though.

props.

he's gotta hire some professional designers though.

I bought a ton of We-R-One and Bonidacci in my youth.

If I say I'm above rocking corny overpriced gear, I would be a hypocrite.

-If Stephen A. Smith is ranting against your favorite player, you might think he sounds like a lunatic

But when he uses that same tone to lecture black folk.."Welp, does make a good point"

A more serious example:

-When Obama told black people not to riot, black men to be their for their kids and lectured the community, middle America love that ****.

When told the country that black people's problem were not solved in the 1960s, that we need comprehensive criminal justice reform, when he exposed civil right violations, said we need to stop guns from coming into their communities and said his son would have looked like Tarvon Martin, middle America called him a race baiter.

It is never the tone for some people, it is the content

Race is not everything when it comes to LaVar, how institutions like the NCAA, and corporation view black players and their families, but it does play a part. A big problem in this country when it comes to race, is that folk only want to hear half the truth, the part they agree with, and dismiss the part that makes them uncomfortable.

Very well said

Quote:

you dont know the terms of his contract and neither do i. for all we know nike HAD to pay lebron that amount to keep him. just like the memphis grizzlies had to pay mike conley what they paid him for him to stay
If you think Nike signed him to a deal with no intent or expectation to make money only to "keep him" you a naive and it's adorable
nobody is going to buy that Big Baller garbage, he is just trying to leverage Adidas vs Nike and maybe UA to sign Lonzo
What makes you so sure that he isn't trying to build a brand?

Quote:

If you think Nike signed him to a deal with no intent or expectation to make money only to "keep him" you a naive and it's adorable

What makes you so sure that he isn't trying to build a brand?
you probably wont see a billion dollars worth of lebron 13s and lbj gear on the streets no time soon

you probably wont see a billion dollars worth of lebron 13s and lbj gear on the streets no time soon
LeBron's name brings views/attention, those same views and attention lead to visitors to websites and stores, in those stores they sell a wide variety of products. LeBron's and others. People may not buy LeBrons but they may buy some shorts, or a shirt, or a hat, or a jacket.

I don't know the math needed to quantify how much LeBron being with Nike is worth but I can guarantee it's more than a billion

Back
Top Bottom