The Get Down: Netflix Original

Surprised gifs haven't popped up yet. We need several.

-The B-boy battle at the first get down in the show
-Cadillac in the all white cutting a rug
-Shaolin Jumping Kung Fu style out of the window after trying to get Zeke to go in the club
-The 3 girls performing in the salon
devil.gif

-The crush velvet OJ smoke session

I'll think of more.
Fake *** Bruce Leroy 
laugh.gif

Why did they split season 1 into 2 parts???

But yo... Show is ******* dope. That last DJ battle got me hyped.

The show wasn't ready to be debuted in its entirety.
They had several delays, folks quitting, folks getting fired, and already 13 months behind release schedule after being in production for 2 1/2 years, they wanted to get something on the air.

It's by far Netflix most expensive project to date and went over budget by 7.5 million PER EPISODE.

With that kind of "misappropriating of funds", I'm sure heads at the Netflix offices were in danger if they didn't put out something, and fast, so we get 6 now, and the other 6 later.

This won't be the norm, all other shows will continue to be released in their entirety.

Last edited:
I'm three episodes in. It's good, not great.

The production values look pretty quality.

Jaden Smith is just playing the role Jaden Smith. 
laugh.gif

And I only picked this up after the third episode but I know I can't be the only one who thinks the actress who plays Mylene looks like Irene Cara. Hell, I'm 96% certain that the Mylene character was inspired by her. Their names even rhyme! 
laugh.gif
eek.gif

publicity-still-portrait-of-american-actress-irene-cara-in-the-cbs-tv-picture-id494825453

I'll write more thorough review when I'm finished rest of the episodes.

I remember the casting call for this show. I tried to convince my cousin to audition, she met the age/race specifications (plus her parents grew up in the Bronx in the 70s). She passed though.

They had several delays, folks quitting, folks getting fired, and already 13 months behind release schedule after being in production for 2 1/2 years, they wanted to get something on the air.

It's by far Netflix most expensive project to date and went over budget by 7.5 million PER EPISODE.

With that kind of "misappropriating of funds", I'm sure heads at the Netflix offices were in danger if they didn't put out something, and fast, so we get 6 now, and the other 6 later.

This won't be the norm, all other shows will continue to be released in their entirety.

Any period show/movie is gon run a high budget, and the older the period, the more expensive.

And I kept tryna figure out where I seen dude that played Shaolin Fantastic from, almost didn't recognize him w/o the hightop fade :lol:

Mylene is bad, even Yolanda is cute. The raunch friend look like she gon be knocked up by episode 8 :lol:

didn't know this. wow. Makes sense though.

Usually when you hear something like this, the whole series/movie ends up being a total mess and flop.

Glad to see a good product.

watched it sunday very dope but shouldve finished all the epoisodes before dropping it 2017 is a long way to wait for pt.2....ol boy from the pharrell Dope movie is pretty good in this..

Just watched the first 2 episodes yesterday not bad, I knew that voice sounded like Nas. Didnt know he played a part.

That part when Mylene took off the church choir robe, and her chest popped out. :smokin

I'm convinced the people reviewing it aren't in to hip hop or are older.

I've read a lot of articles and then I go and google their pics or look up their pics :smh:

I'm convinced the people reviewing it aren't in to hip hop or are older.

I've read a lot of articles and then I go and google their pics or look up their pics :smh:
Most critics don't know **** though. Gotta take the reviews with a grain of salt. All that matters is the target core likes it and hopefully draw some curious viewers in.

I'm just glad the story is out there for the world to digest on their own. **** the critics. Some of the reviews I saw made it clear that most of it went right over their heads.

The most frustrating part is that these people rarely take the time to research...they just riff based on the first episode.

Last edited:
Nas' bars alone are worth rave reviews. I'm assuming those giving the show negative reviews aren't hip hop heads

I read a Slate article that criticized the show but the writer raised some good points

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/..._s_the_get_down_butchers_hip_hop_history.html

I'm critical of the show and I've been into Hip Hop all of my life and I have relatives who were there in BX when it all started. I think the show is okay but it's not flawless by any means. It's an over the top romanticization of Hip Hop. They get a lot of things right but there's also some missteps. I think Kool Herc deserved way more credit. Having Flash as the Yoda figure was interesting but to someone not that familiar with the origins of Hip Hop, it might give them the wrong impression of the relative importance of someone like Herc or Afrika Bambaataa (I don't see him being portrayed in the show given the recent allegations but he still had a major role in the formation of the culture).

Last edited:
Great show. The only thing I find cringeworthy are the modern day opening sequences with Nas rapping. It seems so predictable and stereotypical of a rap concert. Plus we all know cats that old aren't pulling in crowds like that. :lol:

edit: just remembered the opening sequences take place in the 90's. Still corny to me.

Last edited:
I just finished watching Episode 6. The DJ battle at the end was 
smokin.gif

That being said, I'm still sticking with "good, not great". The characters are fleshed out well, but the writing and editing are left to be desired. 

I hope the rest of the series improves as it goes along.

Last edited:
I read a Slate article that criticized the show but the writer raised some good points

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/..._s_the_get_down_butchers_hip_hop_history.html

I'm critical of the show and I've been into Hip Hop all of my life and I have relatives who were there in BX when it all started. I think the show is okay but it's not flawless by any means. It's an over the top romanticization of Hip Hop. They get a lot of things right but there's also some missteps. I think Kool Herc deserved way more credit. Having Flash as the Yoda figure was interesting but to someone not that familiar with the origins of Hip Hop, it might give them the wrong impression of the relative importance of someone like Herc or Afrika Bambaataa (I don't see him being portrayed in the show given the recent allegations but he still had a major role in the formation of the culture).

It's not a documentary though. It's not supposed to be factual. That's why I don't get that complaint. It's obvious from the style of movie, it's an ode to the 70's and is supposed to be campy.

and Flash was involved in the show as a producer, Herc wasn't. It's being told from that specific part(kingdom) of the Bronx. So it makes sense. Dudes didn't go to other areas. They might not go off their block or to another project.

and I always find it odd when people bring up Kool Herc getting more credit, when Grandmaster Flowers gets pretty much none. The Bronx has always been romanticized, so it goes along with the movie.

Me and my pops talked about the show he said Herc was the boss and Flash, Zulu nation came after.

Herc came after Grandmaster Flowers from Brooklyn

Last edited:
Me and my pops talked about the show he said Herc was the boss and Flash, Zulu nation came after.

I think they mentioned that in the show, how Herc was like the Godfather to em all in a sense, which gave the crews in his area/under him a lil more recognition.

Back
Top Bottom