The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

presequel - Yeah, it definitely depends on the level and scale of your client, but as I have a full-time position already, I only take on gigs from the smaller companies or individuals. It's a good chunk of change, but I can't imagine making a living off of freelance alone. But props though, definitely taking notes in case I net some bigger projects.

You can learn something from every single person you meet, don't think you're above anyone.

I like the direction this thread is going. Will be reading through it in a few days.

I have to finish a website for a final project in a class by friday at midnight.

We should really start networking, I think there are a lot of good designers in here. Reppin SoCal.

For the students, I suggest utilizing everything your school has to offer. I goofed off during college and didnt make the grades to get an internship, but it would have looked good on my résumé and I coulda used the experience when looking for that entry-level position.

And another good resource is
www.thedieline.com
Especially cool for anyone into packaging.

Can we get a description of what UI and UX actually is and what the difference between the two is?

I'm guessing it's sort of like GUI's and interface stuff.

Dude, your UI/UX look is on point.
Appreciate it!
@raadius - nice icon work, been getting better over the past few years. you gonna be at the la summit/dodger game in june?

I respect icon work - I personally couldn't invest myself in that, takes alot of pixel perfection into making great icons.
Thanks man!

Far as the meet, I had no idea, Ill take a look at the thread, hopefully it's not during the week.

Ive always had a knack for graphic design, went to school for it, but kinda fell off of it for a while. Kinda weird how I got back into it.

About 3 - 4 year ago, I had jailbroke my iPhone and was putting different types of icons on it, at the time I had just bought my first Android phone but there was no designers out there that made cool icons like the iPhone. The iPhone graphic designers are a whole different beast, just great talent. I wanted some new Android specific icons that I requested from the iPhone guys, and the designers behind them didn't want to make any OR they had a bunch of NFR icons. So I said, f it, ill make my own. Who would of thought, 4 icon packs later, and now Im hit up pretty often for freelance stuff, which as moved to more than just icons, now website designs, logos, business cards, pretty damn cool. I even signed a contract with google to use and design upcoming icons / ux stuff for apps.

I do want to move more into actual programming though, as of right now, I have moved more into android app developer and have made a few - personalize / theme apps, but I want to do bigger - better projects. I got a lot more to learn.

Did you use your previous experience to make your icons or just tutorials online? Did you use PS?
Yup, I bought CS4. No previous icon experience or tutorials. Just determination, motivation and A LOT of free time.

Here is my first icon pack (2010)

8c0dd0076afcbced31b6d3fcb2be6cbf-d34uoq9.png

My latest (WIP) (2013)

theseus_hd_preview_one_by_raadius-d5kzf7c.png

I've came a long way, but I still feel I have a long way to go as Im never really satisfied with what I create :frown:
All smartphone icons are pixel art right Boost?
Correct.

Your icons have improved so much, man. Good stuff. The mail, phone, and music icons are :pimp:.

I have to agree with Fong on a bunch of his points. I just graduated VCU in December and that jump from student to professional is pretty big.

I've interned while in school, so that's been really helpful but networking is a huge aspect of trying land a studio job. I just had an interview yesterday so I hope I get the job.

Practice, practice, and practice. Trust me, there are very few people who are Sagmeister off the bat. Create stuff and get it critiqued, remember your work is so that other people can relate.

Don't get in this career unless you love it like Fong said, but its so rewarding to be doing something creative.

Design on, NT. :pimp:

View media item 383815
Speaking of the devil, on Instagram today haha.

Jeff Staple

Back when I was a freshman in school, I used to be obsessed with brands & advertising. I'd rip ads out of magazines & put them up on my studio wall as posters. Nike NYC Basketball started a series of "trash talking" ads around this time. I used to steal the oversized subway station ads! Those were holy grails to me! Little did I know back then that Bobbito Garcia did the copywriting on those ads. The mastermind was this man—John Jay, Senior Creative Director of Wieden + Kennedy. All of your favorite Nike campaigns probably came from his brain. He is a living legend. And I'm blessed to be able to now call him a friend. [emoji]128591[/emoji] #FatherFigure #DesignGod #Mentor #ArtsChampion #ICL13

Cool. I know theyre both in Long Beach right now because theyre both speakers at a conference down there.

Yo, we gotta keep this thread going....

OP it would be great if you could post some of the links people have shared in the original post for reference.

Maybe seperate them by UI/UX info, Freelance Work, Tutorials/Resources, and some NT members sites....

Also, might be too soon here, but it might be cool if we were doing like some small theme based comps every once in a while....

Maybe the first one could be a complete redesign on the NT logo....it might help some of us practice a bit more and check out each others styles.

I saw that on his Instagram too but had no idea who he was. Almost thought it was Bolo Young from Bloodsport.

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Short breakdown for people that is interested:

Ohio State Student.
Went to NY as a Journalist/writer
Worked his way up to eventually becoming a Creative Director of Bloomingdales
Got bored with it.
In 1994, he left Bloomingdales to take a risk and become a CD at a then emerging Wieden+Kennedy
He helped open the NY, Shanghai, and Tokyo offices.
He did the NYC Nike campaign (that brought out the NYC AF1's back in the day) and at the same time influenced Jeff Staples.
He worked his way up to be a Global Executive Creative Director of W+K.
In 2012, he dropped GECD to start another venture within W+K that focuses on the brand and not just advertising.

A bit more on him:

Some more good stuff from John Jay.

His 10 lessons for young designers:

1: Be authentic. The most powerful asset you have is your individuality, what makes you unique. It’s time to stop listening to others on what you should do. 2: Work harder than anyone else and you will always benefit from the effort. 3: Get off the computer and connect with real people and culture. Life is visceral. 4: Constantly improve your craft. Make things with your hands. Innovation in thinking is not enough. 5: Travel as much as you can. It is a humbling and inspiring experience to learn just how much you don’t know. 6: Being original is still king, especially in this tech-driven, group-grope world. 7: Try not to work for stupid people or you’ll soon become one of them. 8: Instinct and intuition are all-powerful. Learn to trust them. 9: The Golden Rule actually works. Do good. 10: If all else fails, No. 2 is the greatest competitive advantage of any career.

Some more good stuff from John Jay.

His 10 lessons for young designers:

1: Be authentic. The most powerful asset you have is your individuality, what makes you unique. It’s time to stop listening to others on what you should do. 2: Work harder than anyone else and you will always benefit from the effort. 3: Get off the computer and connect with real people and culture. Life is visceral. 4: Constantly improve your craft. Make things with your hands. Innovation in thinking is not enough. 5: Travel as much as you can. It is a humbling and inspiring experience to learn just how much you don’t know. 6: Being original is still king, especially in this tech-driven, group-grope world. 7: Try not to work for stupid people or you’ll soon become one of them. 8: Instinct and intuition are all-powerful. Learn to trust them. 9: The Golden Rule actually works. Do good. 10: If all else fails, No. 2 is the greatest competitive advantage of any career.

I [expletive deleted] love this. This is serious [expletive deleted] truth when it comes to young talent.

I have this printed and taped to my desk to make sure I never forget.

Yo Calypso, only just saw your post about that poster comp. Don't think I'll get an entry in, I'm busy as hell the next couple weeks :smh:

Quick question for my fellow designers. If I have projects using photos found on the internet, how do I cite the copywrights correctly? All my projects I have done are student work so I am not sure how to cite it the correct way. I don't want to get in trouble or anything about the photos I've used for some of my class projects.

Last edited:
^^^^If it is for school, than that is fine. If it is for legit work, you might have to justify it better. I used photos online for tons of projects for school.

I just saw this guys Tumblr and he is sick. Definitely a plus if you can draw:

http://yaiagift.tumblr.com

tumblr_m5yvyqDe921qa438so1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ma00xfkbBP1qd4mylo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_ma00rnyUO51qd4mylo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mi67uztVrZ1qd4mylo1_1280.jpg
tumblr_mi67omeVTh1qd4mylo5_1280.jpg

Back
Top Bottom