The Graphic Design Thread UPDATE: 1st post filled with info. 2nd with NTer's portfolios.

^^^^If it is for school, than that is fine. If it is for legit work, you might have to justify it better. I used photos online for tons of projects for school.

Oh yeah I knew that about student, what I meant is If I wanted to include some of these projects on my portfolio on behance, how I do cite the copywrights to the photos used in my projects correctly? Or can I just state it's student work and I want to show my design? My fault for all the questions, I'm still fairly new to the design world.

Very helpful and informative thread. Dope 1st and 2nd posts. :pimp:

I wanna cop that tee Fongstarr posted.

good stuff in here guys 
pimp.gif

Oh yeah I knew that about student, what I meant is If I wanted to include some of these projects on my portfolio on behance, how I do cite the copywrights to the photos used in my projects correctly? Or can I just state it's student work and I want to show my design? My fault for all the questions, I'm still fairly new to the design world.

Just at the bottom of the behanced page for the project, put in small type: "Image source: Internet." If you know the specific artist's name, use that instead of "internet" and you'll be fine.

Got my behance up, behance.net/KAgustin19. I will be following everyone's profiles on there from the NT community.

Dude!! CSULB!!!!!

If there's any advice I can give you, learn the traditional branding rules from Sunook Park, how to write from Mike Whitlow, and how to push your work experimentally through Andrew Byrom.

I wish I did more of that in my BFA years.

Good luck, its a great school with a great program!

Are a lot of people in this thread trained designers/illustrators or self taught?

No biased ideas.

I'm just curious.

Got my behance up, behance.net/KAgustin19. I will be following everyone's profiles on there from the NT community.

Dude!! CSULB!!!!!

If there's any advice I can give you, learn the traditional branding rules from Sunook Park, how to write from Mike Whitlow, and how to push your work experimentally through Andrew Byrom.

I wish I did more of that in my BFA years.

Good luck, its a great school with a great program!

Thanks for the advice Vince and yeah I am studying there. I just got into the BFA program for the fall so I am really excited. When did you graduate from there?

Thanks for the advice Vince and yeah I am studying there. I just got into the BFA program for the fall so I am really excited. When did you graduate from there?

Woah. You know my name? Have we interacted in the past? HAHA.

I graduated three years ago. Fall 2010. We had the "Work is the New Play" senior show in the campus gallery because we were too lazy to fundraise and the campus gave us a grant to use the space—the gallery looked like a big living room. HAHA.

HAHA. Seriously, congrats! Make the most of it and get close to your class. However many of you (I assume 24) are going to be together for two years. Enjoy the good times, ignore the bad times, and make better times. Your classmates will be the one that will help you learn, push you to be better, and help you once you're out of the program.

Also, make use of the alumni base there. There's a crap ton of talent in the alumni group that's always willing to help out a fellow CSULB BFAer.

Are a lot of people in this thread trained designers/illustrators or self taught?

No biased ideas.

I'm just curious.
Both, my dude. I went to a great design school and learned some of the more useful things on Lynda and YouTube.

No biased ideas.

I'm just curious.
Both, my dude. I went to a great design school and learned some of the more useful things on Lynda and YouTube.
x2

i went to fashion school for apparel mftg. only ended up having 1 intro to illustrator class and ended up teaching myself everything with consistent practice and youtube tutorials 

I'd never touched Illustrator or InDesign before last year when I started studying. I taught myself Photoshop when I was like 15 :lol:

I still hate drawing

Woah. You know my name? Have we interacted in the past? HAHA.

I graduated three years ago. Fall 2010. We had the "Work is the New Play" senior show in the campus gallery because we were too lazy to fundraise and the campus gave us a grant to use the space—the gallery looked like a big living room. HAHA.

HAHA. Seriously, congrats! Make the most of it and get close to your class. However many of you (I assume 24) are going to be together for two years. Enjoy the good times, ignore the bad times, and make better times. Your classmates will be the one that will help you learn, push you to be better, and help you once you're out of the program.

Also, make use of the alumni base there. There's a crap ton of talent in the alumni group that's always willing to help out a fellow CSULB BFAer.

haha naw we have never met, I just checked out your dribble page and it said your name is vince lol. And oh man, you graduated a while back, I was only in my first year at csulb and I was still undeclared at that time.

But thanks for the congrats, I can't wait to get started. And they only took 20 of us for the fall 2013 semester, I dunno why but at least I made it, so that's all that matters to me haha. And yeah, I will definitely try to make some friends with the upper classmen and alumni. Some of the people I've met so far have been really friendly and helpful as well. It's dope to know another person on this board went through the program at Long Beach.

HAHAHA...."a while back" makes me feel so damn old. But yes, an old school BFAer here.

20 is still a lot from the old days. My class topped out at 16 and before that, it was 12 a semester. The school was putting pressure on them to accept more students a semester, but the quality remains the same. That's what's important.

A few of my good buddies are finishing up this year. Rachel, Paul, and Jenny are three I would suggest you get to know. They're always willing to help a fellow creative.

Another word of advice: Go to all of the trips. SF, LA, Hong Kong, etc. It's way worth it. Start saving now.

Also, I might (will) hit you up to help me spread the word around CSULB once my grad program begins recruitment for next year's class.

Last edited:
Great info and work throughout this thread. I need to catch up

Found a random piece through google images and tried to duplicate recreate it today.

My mom is working on a book called Black Skin and I want something similar to this to use for her cover

Original piece

Going to start teaching myself AutoCAD as soon as this semester is over. Anyone have experience with it? Really want to try and build something like this:

Great info and work throughout this thread. I need to catch up

Found a random piece through google images and tried to duplicate recreate it today.

My mom is working on a book called Black Skin and I want something similar to this to use for her cover

View media item 390347

Original piece

View media item 390353

I would alter your design more. Though you added cover up over the boobs, the face, the hair, the arm positioning, the comb, almost everything is still extremely similar to the original design.

If it goes on a book and the original artist sees it, you and your mom would be up poop creek without a paddle.

Some positive things going on in here and as posted before let the networking begin forreal!  Anybody have the scoop on some job opportunities or

people in a position to uplift a fellow graphic designer/artist..shout it out.  Let's keep some things rolling in here.

Back
Top Bottom