The Greatest R&B artist ever...

Kells probably had the biggest influence on this new wave of R&B, idk bout greatest, but he's up there no doubt.

my favorite RnB artist...but he the only one i really listen to so i cant call him the greatest (like phil said)

Could never say Maxwell or D'Angelo over R. Kelly, don't understand how. R Kelly is the greatest IN MY OPINION because he's everywhere. He was R&B for a years at one time, he was writing and producing for everyone. Still writes for mad people he has too many nice album (excluding 2-3 commercial aimed albums)

"Step in the name of love" is timeless, eff y'all wanna be angry old heads.

That track will forever move a party.

Kells is in the top 10/15 but no way is he coming before Marvin, Al, Ronald Isley or Luther. 
"Whats going on", "Sexual Healing", "Let's get it on", "Troubled Man", "If I should die tonight", "If this world were mine", "Mercy Mercy Me", "Distant Lover" etc. is greater than anything Kells has ever put out just based on Marvin's voice and vocal range alone. Not to mention the impact and longevity of those tracks.

This thread is wild off based.

Kells is neck and neck with Mary J for top R&B artists in the last 20 years or so but Ron and Al got like 40-50 years worth of hits each. He's not messing with them in any shape or form, plus his voice pales in comparison to Luther who had a similar run to him in terms of longevity and hits.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

GOAT, IMO has to go to Marvin....

As far as R.Kelly, I wouldn't even put him over:

d-angelo-300x300-2009-01-21.jpg
roll.gif

NEGRO PLZZZZZZZ

based off 2 CD's? which of the 2 only 1 is good?

there is NOTHING dude does better then Kelly

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

laugh.gif

roll.gif

NEGRO PLZZZZZZZ

makes b's cream themselves better than Kells.

laugh.gif

roll.gif

NEGRO PLZZZZZZZ

eek.gif
I'm curious which CD, Brown Sugar or Voodoo is the bad one?? Both them joints are classic.

Marvin or Al Green take the claim for me.

R. Kelly's inclusion is actually kinda laughable

laugh.gif

roll.gif

NEGRO PLZZZZZZZ

eek.gif
Are you dumb? 

For folks saying D'Angelo is overrated, do you mind saying why? 

He's more talented than R.Kelly.  Hands down. 

laugh.gif
I'm tryna figure out which D'Angelo LP is the bad one as well.
PLEASE RESPOND.

he has more talent then Kellly at what?

The better singer is R.kelly 

The better writer is R.kelly

The better hit maker is R.kelly

The better performer is R.kelly

and i could go on

kelly could make a hit out of any type of R&B. D'Angelo had one lane and only lane only which is the Neo/soul R&B and even in that lane Kelly would kill him on that.

Fine Give D'Angelo 2 Classic R&B Albums. that would compare to what Kellys damn near 4-5 Classic R&B albums. hands down talent wise and overall body of work D'Angelo ant in the same class as kelly

Helll D' Angelo is not even the most talented neo/sould R&B singer of the last 15 years

since the early 90's the only person you can compare kelly to is Mary J.

^ I wouldn't even call Voodoo a classic. It's good compared to what's out now, but during that time you had R&B bangers coming out every other week.  

To add - If R. Kelly never sang a song in his life he'd still be more talented than D'Angelo just off the strength of his writing and production skills.

D'Angelo's songwriting and production is his staple...but nah, he couldn't possibly be better than R.Kelly
laugh.gif
It's no coincidence that he was actually COMPARED to both Prince and Marvin Gaye. Hes a pioneer of the neo-soul movement and you'd be hard pressed to find someone as talented as him in that genre. It's a shame that he never got clean because he put out two amazing efforts on his LPs.

You can look at a guy like Big L. in rap and he had his career cut short. However, folks aren't shy about putting him in their top-10 over guys who have had WAY longer careers with much more work. D'Angelo is obviously still alive, but I got no problem putting him above a guy like R.Kelly. I feel as though he's the more talented musician.

Give me a break w. the "hits" R.Kelly puts out...he's got a dumb fanbase....sorry. Putting out @$%! like Feelin on yo booty? Seriously
laugh.gif
And yall eat it up...

laugh.gif
@ Voodoo not being a classic....yall morons would put Chain Gang vol. 2 as a classic, but not Voodoo. C'mon now....

Donny aint really R&B in the traditional sense he's more soulful like Willie Hutch, Isaac Hayes there more musical than vocal

Yall sleep on Pendergrass tho

Cartune, Donny IS R&B.

Who you think started doing all those runs and harmonies? Donny. He touched on so many social issues just like Marvin, but somehow he's just "that 'Song For You' or "This Christmas" guy. His body of work may not be exhaustive, but he recorded FOUR solid albums that will rival any R&B album. And that voice - emotive, haunty, rich, smooth, silky.

What we have today is pop R&B. The blues side is sorely missing today. The melody is there, but that story that tugs at the heart and soul isn't.

He brought both. Matter fact, he was an influence to many of today pop R&B cats.

Like Ruxx said, Donny is CRIMINALLY slept on.

Back
Top Bottom