The Greatest R&B artist ever...

Billy Paul is up there too."Just A Prisoner"
was/is EPIC.No mention of Peabo Bryson or Jeffrey Osborne either huh?

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by NobleKane

smh r kelly the greatest r&b singer...lol dont make me laugh... step in the name of love timeless? boy oh boy....

can we just close the music forum? or make it something else? this is too much...

I used to go on these rants when kids used to make the "best rapper EVAR" and "best song EVAR" threads.

Stupid @@!$. How can anyone feel qualified to discuss the best R&B artist EVAR when you ain't been around forEVAR to even have that kind of a grasp on the genre to intelligently discuss this?

Get the %!$+ out of here with this. He's your favorite. Not the greatest. Learn the difference.

"Step In The Name Of Love" timeless is laughable. I always thought that %$%$ was corny. If you had said "I Wish", "I Believe....", or even "Your Body's Calling" on some new school %$%$, your argument would have had far more credibility.

Marvin, Stevie, Smokey, Donny. Not sure what you'd call Prince or Michael. %$%$, you said artist. Mary J. Blige would give Kells a run. Aretha Franklin.

I'm sure I could find more if I thought about it. But R&B was also dominated by groups for a while.

It's a shame that 2 albums in, a guy like D'Angelo was damn near flawless, then fell off the face of the earth.
I'm a young dude and I agree with these posts. I thought OP was trolling when he said "Step In the Name of Love" is timeless
laugh.gif

Ever, not so much and that's not saying he isn't among the greatest. I think he's hands down the greatest of my generation though, and it would be very hard to put up an argument for anyone other than him. Mary comes second sorry to say, and as much as I love D'angelo, to put it simply, no. He's more of a "what could've been" than an established legend. And no he doesn't compare to Big L who's also a "what could've been" because Big L never got a chance to show us what he could be, I think we all know, and have seen what has become of D'angelo which is absolutely nothing. So yeah dude was talented, but he never showed us that he was more talented than Kells and he never used that talent in the way Robert did so like I said it's a simple no. 

Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, and Teddy Pendergrass IMO (in no particular order). Barry belongs up there too.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Originally Posted by NobleKane

smh r kelly the greatest r&b singer...lol dont make me laugh... step in the name of love timeless? boy oh boy....

can we just close the music forum? or make it something else? this is too much...

I used to go on these rants when kids used to make the "best rapper EVAR" and "best song EVAR" threads.

Stupid @@!$. How can anyone feel qualified to discuss the best R&B artist EVAR when you ain't been around forEVAR to even have that kind of a grasp on the genre to intelligently discuss this?

Get the %!$+ out of here with this. He's your favorite. Not the greatest. Learn the difference.

"Step In The Name Of Love" timeless is laughable. I always thought that %$%$ was corny. If you had said "I Wish", "I Believe....", or even "Your Body's Calling" on some new school %$%$, your argument would have had far more credibility.

Marvin, Stevie, Smokey, Donny. Not sure what you'd call Prince or Michael. %$%$, you said artist. Mary J. Blige would give Kells a run. Aretha Franklin.

I'm sure I could find more if I thought about it. But R&B was also dominated by groups for a while.

It's a shame that 2 albums in, a guy like D'Angelo was damn near flawless, then fell off the face of the earth.

It's one thing to say you don't think he's the greatest but don't act like he doesn't deserve to at least be in the discussion.he has numerous #1's and has written #1's for others and his range is crazy.what's up with dudes on NT just flat out discrediting people who actually have talent...sheeesh

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Donny desrerves to be in the discussion.

DonnyHathaway-thumb-473x338.jpeg
came to post this
pimp.gif
oh and ill take BABYFACE over r. kelly any day. also BRIAN MCKNIGHT Over kells also, they are among the Top.

Doublejs. Did you just say he has a dumb fan base lol. Have you been to one of his concerts? There is so much diversity in his crowd its crazy hour steady like wth is that person doing here and they know every word to every song. Ima say it the greatest singer/songwriter of my lifetime and I'm a 70s baby. As y'all say come at me bro.

not the greatest ever but I think Ginuwine is underrated when it comes to good R & B music.
Ginuwine and Timbaland were a great combo.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

why cats mention D'Angelo is hilarious to me. He hasnt put out material in the longest, let alone fell off years ago...

Kells is up there definetly..

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

laugh.gif

GOAT, IMO has to go to Marvin....

As far as R.Kelly, I wouldn't even put him over:

d-angelo-300x300-2009-01-21.jpg
roll.gif

NEGRO PLZZZZZZZ

based off 2 CD's? which of the 2 only 1 is good?

there is NOTHING dude does better then Kelly
Out of curiosity, do you think Biggie is one of the best rappers alive/best rappers alive?
I'm trying to remember how many albums he made before he died. wait what.

oh my answer is a group: B.II.M.

In the past 20 years - R Kelly (pure genius)

Close 2nd would be Maxwell (Urban Hang Suite is what you call TIMELESS)

I wish Maxwell focused his energy more on making albums rather than producing.

I don't want to discuss anything about the 60s-80s because I wasn't born or lived in that era, but I love Mr. Gaye's library.

PS
like any other "who's the greatest" threads, it's always subjective to styles and such

Originally Posted by HTG Designs

Robert "your daughters my potty" Kelly. Im at a party for grown folks and realizin a dude of my generation makin timeless music.Step in the name of love is just one of his timeless hits. And wit the current wave of cats, we gotta remember a kellz music bumped then, now and anytime a bunch older heads get together to get twisted.

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom