The Indiana Jones Thread | Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | In Theaters Now

u-s-premiere-of-indiana-jones-and-the-dial-of-destiny.webp

I went to see The Dial of Destiny this afternoon.

The good:

Harrison Ford clearly still cares about the character and it shows.
The de-aging worked well enough that I believed Harrison Ford was actually younger.
Phoebe Waller-Bridge was good as Indy's partner.
Mads Mikkelsen made for a good villain.
The MacGuffin was interesting enough.
The last part of the film was the best part.

The not-so-good:

It's too long. 20-25 minutes could've been cut and you wouldn't have missed anything.
While the de-aging worked well enough, Harrison Ford still sounds old.
Some of the action sequences feel run-of-the-mill.

Overall, I thought it was just okay enough. Not great, not terrible, not bad.

You'll probably like The Dial of Destiny if you're into Indiana Jones.

It was a nice send-off for the character.

Judging by the weak box office opening, I take it very few people here saw the new film over the weekend. :ohwell:

I actually went twice. Once Thursday for the "sneak preview" or whatever we're calling the opening Thursday now, in XD, then went back Friday for an imax showing. I really enjoyed it. I stayed away from spoilers/theories and only watched the first trailer. Was trying to go in fresh.

Thought the de-aging looked great, but did notice in a couple of spots that Indy's voice sounded older. Saw an interview with Ford about it, and he said the eyes and mouth were him. He said he also did the vocal work by speaking in a higher register, so that explains what we heard.

I agree with you for the most part. It was definitely a bit too long. Ford absolutely did not phone this in, and did a fantastic job considering his age. Thought they did a great job with Phoebe W-B and never really letting you know whether or not to believe she was a total scumbag. The Dial was what it was. Not everything can be a Grail or an Ark. The ending got me GOOD. I definitely believed they MIGHT go through with Indy's request. Mads Mikkelsen was a great villain though I didn't care for his #2 that kept shooting everything. The action sequence stuff I kinda chalked up to Ford's limitations. There was always gonna have to be extra car chases, etc.

My personal bar for success was always "it can't possibly be worse than Crystal Skull." It wasn't, so I left happy. It always seemed like the entire reason for making Dial was to erase the stink of that movie, and that's why they went out of their way to throw Lucas under the bus and make sure everybody knew he wasn't involved with this one. I know people are looking for ANY reason to hate Dial, but for a send-off with an 80yo lead, I thought they did a damn good job.

Yikes. Another flop in the movies.

Tom Cruise really the only hope to save theaters again :smh: :pimp:

Yeah, I was waiting for word of mouth on Friday and these are the first reviews I've seen:lol:

When do they usually drop the D+ premeire dates after a theatrical release?

started the chronological rewatch and then going watch this weekend

was waiting to see what folks had to say first

I just rewatched Temple of Doom which has always been my least favorite - but I really enjoyed it. It's got parts where they were trying a bit hard but overall it's a great movie.

I just rewatched Temple of Doom which has always been my least favorite - but I really enjoyed it. It's got parts where they were trying a bit hard but overall it's a great movie.

is this factoring in crystal skull too?

Just saw it.. better than expected, but I wasn’t expecting much

Movie felt a solid 15-20 mins too ling.. and phoebe waller-bridge was good and I’m a mads fan, the movie felt like it was missing something

or maybe there was little things that threw me off a bit

but it was a far better send off than crystal skull

but I can’t believe the movie was almost half an hour longer than last crusade

Ok, finally watched it. Stayed out of this thread to avoid spoilers.

Pretty much agree with the few reviews in here. Better than what I expected, especially with all the brouhaha during the initial release. I didn't read any of it, so I'm not sure what the complains were. It was an entertaining and wild ride... what you'd expect from an Indy film. I thought the de-ageing looked good... some bits better than others, but still pretty good. The action was probably OTT... but the guy is 80 years old, which is just mad. The ending scene with Marion showing up was a nice way to wrap it up. While I would rank this as #4 out of the 4 Indy films, I still had fun and was entertained.

Back
Top Bottom