The internet has destroyed personal style.

Everybody looks the same now.  Everybody is "cool" and "hip"
Seriously thanks to the techonology explosion of twitter, youtube, tumblr, camera phones, facebook, etc.  Everybody is up on the "latest".   

The problem is their isn't much "local" fashion anymore.  You used to be able to tell if somebody was from NY, Cali, DC, Chicago....hell you used to be able to tell if somebody was gay or straight.

But now in 2012 it's all one big hypebeast blur.  Gone are the days of discovering a brand or a style and bringing it back to your area. snapbacks, camo shorts, colorful nikes.  It's like a uniform out there. 

Be more like Yeezy and less like Weezy.  And that means be a tread setter not a follower, it doesn't mean dress like Kanye. 

Why does this bother ya so much man
laugh.gif

Just wear a tee, some jeans and (any pair of kicks) and that's it....let the way you are define your style, not the way you dress of that makes sense at all....

Regional style is definitely fading, and fast. DC used to be easy to tell, but now they all rock the same snapbacks and Js/Foams. Foams are still poppin, but it feels different then it used to be.

What I wear on most days: ball shorts, v-neck/crew neck/tank top, and ball/running sneakers. Comfort > "fashion"

You knew Steezy was going to come in here and defend this OP.

But I agree OP, this stuff has gotten out of hand. I blame the 90's babies though.

ehh  I have always stuck to the brands that I like
the only thing that changes are the fitment of the clothes 

Originally Posted by Leonidas

Regional style is definitely fading, and fast. DC used to be easy to tell, but now they all rock the same snapbacks and Js/Foams. Foams are still poppin, but it feels different then it used to be.

Meh, regional fashion is definitely on it's death bed, but does it really matter?

I agree with Steezy here. Just keep it clean and simple and let your personality speak for itself.

Been said this. You can see it on here. So many people just sort of mimicing what they see.

I got a few messages from people when I said in another thread, "just because you're stylish, doesn't mean you have style" because they agreed wholeheartedly.

Being stylish by wearing what's "in style" means you're just doing what someone else is dictating, and it's not YOUR style.

The internet just exacerbates all of this. The trends move and spread quicker and people just from one thing to another quicker.

Trends are trends for a reason. They aren't timeless because they really aren't that great to begin with. That's why they have a short window. That's pretty much what a trend is.

Why would I start wearing bracelets out of the blue? Why would I wear tall T's? Why would I wear Red Wings instead of Timbs? Why would I start wearing pastels? Why would I start wearing snapbacks?

I absolutely let who I am define my style. Who I am doesn't change that often or that drastically. So why would my clothing style change so much?

End rant.

is it the internet made it like this? or the internet helped you understand it's always been like this?

people don't use their brains...and they think their intelligent
laugh.gif
no your not 

Originally Posted by B Smooth 202

is it the internet made it like this? or the internet helped you understand it's always been like this?

people don't use their brains...and they think their intelligent
laugh.gif
no your not 

The irony is strong in this post.

Social media has allowed people to come out of their shells. Some of the shyest, nerdiest people I knew through high school now post instagram pics decked out in the trendiest threads/kicks talking about their "swag" and whatnot.

I'm having a harder time telling old clothes or not. Everyone wears ragged looking clothes now. My mom would beat my $%! if I bought a t-shirt or jeans pre-ripped.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Been said this. You can see it on here. So many people just sort of mimicing what they see.

I got a few messages from people when I said in another thread, "just because you're stylish, doesn't mean you have style" because they agreed wholeheartedly.

Being stylish by wearing what's "in style" means you're just doing what someone else is dictating, and it's not YOUR style.

The internet just exacerbates all of this. The trends move and spread quicker and people just from one thing to another quicker.

Trends are trends for a reason. They aren't timeless because they really aren't that great to begin with. That's why they have a short window. That's pretty much what a trend is.

Why would I start wearing bracelets out of the blue? Why would I wear tall T's? Why would I wear Red Wings instead of Timbs? Why would I start wearing pastels? Why would I start wearing snapbacks?

I absolutely let who I am define my style. Who I am doesn't change that often or that drastically. So why would my clothing style change so much?

End rant.

I agree.  I work with young people and the vast majority of them just jump from one trend to the next.  Damn near every year or two basically their entire wardrobes are obsolete because they're built entirely on what's "hot" at any given moment.  Whereas I have shoes from high school and clothes that I've been wearing for years that never "go out of style."

I try to school the youngsters but it's an uphill battle...

End rant.
pretty much dead on; I wear brands that I have supported for ages 
it's funny when I still rocked snap back style hats in like 2005 and people would ask me why I don't rock fitteds and now those clowns are the ones wearing snap backs

End rant.
Good post...

In a nameless thread here on NT, there are a few folks who try TOO hard look different or "stylish," when it's nothing but A) laughable, or B) forced. 

Style is subjective, but it's a lot easier for people to follow trends than put their own personal stamp on the clothes that they're wearing. 

I for one dont think that this is a bad thing. I remember the middle and high school days where the way you dress had a HUGE part of defining who you were and your social standing. If you werent wearing the "in brands" it was harder to get love and high social standing and if you wore certain brands (southpole, Fubu, Ecko) you were just clowned and laughed at. Some peoples parents werent with buying their 12 year old son 40 dollar shirts and jeans that they would grow out of or in some cases have to trash when the new "in brand" comes out. I was blessed to have parents who from time to time would shell out money for me to clothes shop and I got to chose what I wanted but I saw it happen with my own eyes to kids and it was bad. With the way it is now, all you need is a colored tee, and some jeans most days and you can get by because something that simple is part of the "in look" and flashy branded shirts are played out.
Originally Posted by Mr K

Why does this bother ya so much man 
laugh.gif

Just wear a tee, some jeans and (any pair of kicks) and that's it....let the way you are define your style, not the way you dress of that makes sense at all....
I agree with this. The phrase "clothes dont make the man" prob means more now that ever before, you can make whatever look fresh with a proper fit and all that.

Originally Posted by mrarmageddon

Social media has allowed people to come out of their shells. Some of the shyest, nerdiest people I knew through high school now post instagram pics decked out in the trendiest threads/kicks talking about their "swag" and whatnot.
Is this truly a bad thing? Would you rather kids sit inside being lonely and feeling unloved all day? More power to them.

Originally Posted by ricky409

I'm not sure why some people are downplaying style and dress like it doesn't matter.

Your clothes are an extension of how you feel about yourself.

It doesn't sound right said out loud, but its true
This man knows. I'm not afraid to admit it, but when I feel I'm looking nice my confidence is higher, as I would assume would be the same for most others. The inverse is aslo true, when you feel you look bummy things change and you dont have as much confidence. Let the hypebeasts cook.

I'm not sure why some people are downplaying style and dress like it doesn't matter.

Your clothes are an extension of how you feel about yourself.

It doesn't sound right said out loud, but its true

Can't relate. What you're talking about seems lame. Sounds like attention garden tooling and extreme case of insecurity and labeling/judging of others.

@*@* I care if I bring a style back to my area or if I can tell where someone is from or their sexual orientation by how they dress.

I really think your fooling yourself with the importance of personal style. If ppl want to follow they're going to follow. If they're different, they're different.

Nothing has really changed in regards to exposure and media.. It's just that far less people want to be deemed outsiders. Everyone wants to be the same. At least now the majority does. Sheep mentality is where it's at.

We've always had MTV, music videos, and magazines to look to. The internet does help in connecting all regions together.. No longer is one area segregated from the rest.

To a degree yes, but everyone is their own individual so they're going to wear what they want to wear, how they want to wear it

Back
Top Bottom